UK - we may have a problem

Comments

• Wait a second. Are you telling me that I cycled on a day the pros chickened out?

Yehah! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wait a second. Are you telling me that I cycled on a day the pros chickened out?

Without wanting to p!ss on your bonfire, I'd imagine it's more to do with the infrastructure not being able to be safe (1km to go banners, finish line, barriers etc) for the spectators, rather than the pros :P.
  • Wait a second. Are you telling me that I cycled on a day the pros chickened out?

Without wanting to p!ss on your bonfire, I'd imagine it's more to do with the infrastructure not being able to be safe (1km to go banners, finish line, barriers etc) for the spectators, rather than the pros :P.

La la la la - I can't hear you. I'm nails me.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Extremely windy up here so I went to the local park to run a few miles and do some plyometrics. I'm not preparing for a race or commuting, so you wouldn't catch me on a bike on public roads today.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Not too much of a problem on the bike in London, but it's been playing havoc with my runner beans and sunflowers.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Not too bad for me. The EPO worried and told me to take the car. I declined the offer and am quite glad I stuck with it. The wide open spaces of Bushy Park were a bit breezy mind.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I had a very very fast journey in today. If I hadn't been stopped by some long red lights I could have beaten 40 mins for 12 1/2 miles. My previous best was about 50 mins, my usual about 55 mins.

Not looking forward to the trip home much.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    No wind to speak of here this morning - plenty bleedin' rain though. Still nothing and might get home before there is any gales - unless, of course, the gales are frolicking around the South?

-Spider-
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    30mph winds on my back this morning :twisted:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Looking out the windows at the moment,

Oh

Feck

I'm

Screwed.

:shock:

(there are some BIG trees being blown almost horizontal at the moment)

I *may* cycle home the long way (via the canal path in Nottingham) even though this is 1/2 again as far but much more sheltered.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Looking out the windows at the moment,

Oh

Feck

I'm

Screwed.

I *may* cycle home the long way (via the canal path in Nottingham) even though this is 1/2 again as far but much more sheltered.

I thought you were nails? :wink:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    wind has picked up here now, nothing scarily bad though, im thinking of takign the longer route home via the path that runs along side the mersey.

its always really windy down there, cant wait til home time now!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Looking out the windows at the moment,

Oh

Feck

I'm

Screwed.

I thought you were nails? :wink:

I AM nails.... only problem is: I'm biting them at the moment...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    No probs on the way home either. Even got some sunshine. Rain back now and the wind may have reached the dizzy heights on 10 - 12 mph.

We'll probably get it tomorrow.

-Spider-
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I believe that on some points of my commute this evening, I was actually travelling at -mph :?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    it's 21c here in Windshire ATM and i'm pretty sure it was warmer in London this afternoon, well it felt warm anyway.

WTF gives ...? gale force winds with UK summer temps?

What next snow?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    Sshhhhhhhh!

Am psyching myself up for the run home.

How far can I ride in an aero tuck?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    I'm thinking here that the rounder physic would do better into a headwind/gale?

It has to be one occasion when the "chunky" rider has the advantage, surely.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    True, liquids form perfect spheres rather than teardrops when falling through air. Have brought extra ballast in the form of a D-lock just in case.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• With the sunshine and lovely warm temperature, that was one of the most pleasant commutes home in ages... so long as I treated the wind as if it was a useful training aid to make me pedal harder rather than a bloody nuisance causing me pain. Thankfully, after a weekend off the bike, it was the former :D
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    With the sunshine and lovely warm temperature, that was one of the most pleasant commutes home in ages...

Same here, but I had the pleasure of the tailwind so I'd done all my hard work in the morning.
    Nothing special off my average time on the way home, some of the bursts from the tailwind picking up though! :D
  • It actually wasn't as bad as i thought. Struggled to maintain ANY kind of pace and listening to my mate free-wheeling behind me was soul-destroying.

There were a few REALLY nasty gusts that almost had us flicked into traffic, but generally we just gritted our teeth and got on with it.

V V tired now, but happy I did that.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    Tomorrow is a new day peeps :shock:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm amazed. Wind really strong all the way home but did it a minute quicker than on Friday. And I didn't try hard, just took it slowly all the way.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    god damn! i went the long way home last instead of my usual 6 miles it was 22miles all into a headwind grrr

im some places the wind was that strong it was turning my front wheel, pretty scary but for the split second it was a tail wind it was amazing

no wind today, just a really sunny warm day
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Pretty bad last night on Maryhill Road, the start had gusts between the buildings that pushed you all over the place. Glad to get out of the city as it calmed down a little.

This morning was not too bad, - dull and overcast, a tad windy but just a more normal autumnal day.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    Saw the TV clips this morning from Largs, chapeau Wallace1492 and all other fellow Scots riding in the homeland yesterday.

I had to make do with a pleasant blowy ride home through Richmond Park.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Windy here yesterday and this morning, but not unduly so.

Seemed to be much heavier going on the way in yesterday than it was today, and I had a lovely rapid tailwind on the way home.

Don't know what it'll be like on the way home today, but it's been steadily drizzling most of the morning so I'm going to go with "wet".
  • BAM, wtf was that sudden massive super gust plus rain that hit se london...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Ummmm.....

people here are saying it's worse today.

Feck. :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X