UK - we may have a problem

Comments

• jam5ie76 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ah its ok its only going across Scotland......looks like we might be down on shortbread biscuits and iron bru for a while though, plus the Scots are use to windy conditions

i love Scotland really xx

Its Irn Bru, you ignoramus! Just for that we're keeping the whiskey and the oil

[pedant] It's whisky, unless you mean Irish whiskey[/pedant]
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    It's only on course with Scotland... no big deal.... :P

Might make the place more appealing.... :D
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Let's hope it swirls in a big fat circle and the wind can push me in from 6-12 on the clock via 9, and push me home via 3.

Otherwise I may turn into Wallace1492 and go on the train. Wuss.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    The EYE is going over Scotland - Hurricanes are quite big things apparently.

Methinks the southern poofs may get a little ruffled, the further North you are, the more you may need sails....

I don't think hurricanes (or storms) are that discriminatory, it will hit the hetrosexual cycling (and non cycling) community just as hard or soft as the homsexuals.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I'm just thinking of the immense tailwind I'll have going to work on Monday.... :p
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My mate in Glasgow is having his wife sew belt loops around the bottom of his kilt :lol:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • joelsim
    He could just wear some merino boxer shorts
  • but will cross Scotland overnight Sunday and into Monday morning.

Oh good - I'm flying back from Scotland on Sunday night - might be a bumpy ride...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I remember 1987, the wind knocked over a tree.

Wow, back then you had proper winters, not these tropical winters we get nowadays. I remember being so cold that any attempt to warm yourself by a fire would physically hurt.

Chill blaze.

Anyway, do you guys really think I think a storm is down to the green house effect + climate change + global warming. I means sure, everyone knows that the radiation seeping through the hole in the ozone layer caused the zombie war of '93 but still...

"I set these up, I don't know where the threads will go".
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    rebs wrote:
    It's only on course with Scotland... no big deal.... :P

Might make the place more appealing.... :D

says the person in east london!

hahahaha!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SimonAH wrote:
    My mate in Glasgow is having his wife sew belt loops around the bottom of his kilt :lol:
    Can't he just wear men's clothing instead?
  • Met Office is issuing warnings for the North and Scotland and looking at the site shows over 50mph gusts where *I* am.

It's going to be the mother of all tailwinds in, but I'll be FACING these winds on the way home. I'm not sure I'll be good enough for that.... would like to try though.

(Good luck to anyone further North than me)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Could be worse I suppose

These guys are looking at the weather forecast and contemplating the 2000km non stop ultracycling Race Around Ireland

http://www.racearoundireland.com/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    http://www.clickgreen.org.uk/news/international-news/122507-us-escapes-as-hurricane-katia-changes-course-towards-the-uk.html

Ummm.... Monday may be a little blustery

Who wants to cycle in a Hurricane? :shock:

Cant wait :)
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • I was out for beer and curry in September 1987 we just thought as we were pissed that was why we kept falling over. It wasn't until tuseday that I realised somthing had happened - happy days !!
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • hmmm.. i'm supposed to be cycling down to Tunbridge tomorrow night and back on Tuesday morning... no rain forecast, but those winds, even in the South, are going to make the climbs hard work... MTFU or get the train down, will decide tomorrow afternoon...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • joelsim
    The journey in to work looks pretty damn good...
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    but the journey back home?.... ;)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    It will be a bit breezy - cycled into work in far worse.
  • joelsim
    nich wrote:
    but the journey back home?.... ;)

The journey home :shock:
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Fairly windy in London. Quick ride in.
    exercise.png
  • Cruised at 30mph on an uphill this morning.

This does not auger well for the ride home..... :?

Felt like the wind was directly from the South on the way in so when I was on my Easterly stretch I was leaning into a crosswind, but when I turned North everything went quiet and my speed went up by at least 5mph.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    it wasnt that bad around these ways this morning, im pretty disappointed to be honest

i bet im now doomed for headwind all the way home now
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It felt like I had a blustery, occasional sidewind more than anything else this morning.

My ride in is SE, the wind was apparently SSW, on the way home it's going to be moving to more WSW, so I might stuggle a bit more.

Still, there was loads of traffic that I just breezed (hur hur) past this morning, so I still think the bike was the right choice.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Forecast promising 70mph gusts here today and tomorrow. Mrs gave me a lift in today, spotted 6 cyclists. Feeling guilty now, I should have been one of them :cry:

However tomorrow is another day! :mrgreen:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Not bad up in Manchester - nothing out of the ordinary really. Might be stronger later, but I've got to go to another site this afternoon, so I'll be out in it on the bike.
  • Was getting rather blustery in Glasgow, the building seemed to funnel the wind. All into headwind this morning, so hopefully be a quick run home....

However cancelled the night MTB run, just dont want to be in the woods in the dark with the wind. :shock:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Wasn't too bad this morning, its the sudden gusts that catch you out and in London they seem to come from everywhere... and some were definitely of the "blow you across the road" variety
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Wind map is showing 65mph winds here in the afternoon and 85mph winds in Scotland.

Looks like the eye will hit Inverness
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tour of Britain stage has been cancelled today.