2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The UK doesn't have hurricanes.

If this ain't a combination of Global warming, climate change and the green house effect I don't know what is!

Greg66.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ah its ok its only going across Scotland......looks like we might be down on shortbread biscuits and iron bru for a while though, plus the Scots are use to windy conditions

i love Scotland really xx
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The EYE is going over Scotland - Hurricanes are quite big things apparently.

Methinks the southern poofs may get a little ruffled, the further North you are, the more you may need sails....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Where were you in October 1987?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I was split between my Dad's balls and Mum's ovaries...

*ahem*
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I was split between my Dad's balls and Mum's ovaries...

*ahem*

:lol:
  • As an ex windsurfer I followed the weather patterns for a good few years.
    It is the standard behaviour for a hurricane to track towards the east coast of the States then to swing eastwards across Atlantic towards the UK losing power as it comes towards us.
    It will be a deep low and it will get windy, it is very hard to predict its course as it comes closer there are usually three options, west of Ireland and top of Scotland, up the Irish Channel and around Scotland, the third up the English Channel and off toward Holland and Scandinavia.
    As a windsurfer they were brilliant bringing high winds, anathema to me now!
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

If this ain't a combination of Global warming, climate change and the green house effect I don't know what is!

Greg66.

Yes it does. Over Scotland. In that Shite Roland Emmerich film. It froze Ian Holm.

This is nothing to do with any of those things. If it gets to Scotland, it will be a storm. Nothing more.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    ah its ok its only going across Scotland......looks like we might be down on shortbread biscuits and iron bru for a while though, plus the Scots are use to windy conditions

i love Scotland really xx

Its Irn Bru, you ignoramus! Just for that we're keeping the whiskey and the oil
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Nah. This is just weather.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I worried about the effect this might have on my hair and skin. Can anyone recommend any products I might use?

Not really - we've done that to death this week methinks.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    DDD, I know you are a bit younger than me, but do you not remember 1987?

Granted we don't get them very often, but we're no strangers to wind.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jam5ie76
    jam5ie76 Posts: 108
    edited September 2011
    Bring it on I say! I got spat out the bottom of my Glen at 60kph the other day :)

The 24kph average going to work in the morning was painfully though!
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Yes it does. Over Scotland. In that Shite Roland Emmerich film. It froze Ian Holm.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! :cry:
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Finally i might be able to beat my max speed of 43mph with knobblies on.
  • XC weather is saying 55 mph winds for NI next week.

FWIW the weather was just as wet and blustery this week last year. The Ultracycling event 'The Race Around Ireland' was the same week last year and the riders faced horrendous conidtions for the first 3 days.......even by Irish standards.

maybe time to invest in an extra couple of patio heaters
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    In October 87 three friends and I were standing on a flat roof of a warehouse and jumping into the air wearing long coats to see how far we could get blown. Yoof eh? :shock:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:

People are too quick to believe the hype around global warming and climate change, the effects are more subtle than you think they are. It only fuels the anti-climate change brigade if you point to global warming every time we have a storm!

Sorry, pet peeve...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

People are too quick to believe the hype around global warming and climate change, the effects are more subtle than you think they are. It only fuels the anti-climate change brigade if you point to global warming every time we have a storm!

Sorry, pet peeve...

'Tis true.

Take a look at the weather around 1000. A decade or two of appaulingly cold winters and wet summers.

They all thought it was the beginning of the apocalypse.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sorry, pet peeve...

'Tis true.

Take a look at the weather around 1000. A decade or two of appaulingly cold winters and wet summers.

The difference is that now all it takes is a week or two of snow.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    notsoblue wrote:

Or an earthquake*/hurricane. See Michelle Bachmann for proof.

*Caused by global warming, obviously.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Forecasters are hopeful the power of Hurricane Katia will diminish and may be downgraded to a tropical storm with sustained winds of up to 73mph by the time it hits the UK.

It's got to be a made up story....Tropical storms in the UK???

:lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sorry, pet peeve...

'Tis true.

Come on now - we live in a society where people get upset if their delivery takes more than two days to reach them. They are hardly going to be impressed at a global warming that takes more than two weeks to happen!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You know who I blame?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    bails87 wrote:
    You know who I blame?
    Single parents?
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    bails87 wrote:
    You know who I blame?

Does it begin with W ?
  • Greg66 wrote:
    In that Shite Roland Emmerich film. It froze Ian Holm.

Oh, well that narrows things down.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Rigga wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    You know who I blame?

Does it begin with W ?

and ends iggle?

i reckon its because Chuck Norris sneezed
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just for the record we don't get hurricane's in the UK (apart from the battle of britain memorial flight - oops sorry topic), just hurricane force winds, as Michael Fish used in his 'defence' in 1987 to be a hurricane the water temp has to be over about 30C (can't remember exactly) and we don't get that in July let alone now......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I remember Oct 87 vividly - my old man was wild with excitement. He's an aerial rigger and over the following weeks made a fair old sum.