It's not just women

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Of course I do. Its a Black Man Ting, ennit?! I always smell of cocoa butter.

OK, this has piqued my interest. A guy at work uses cocoa butter. What is it with black dudes and cocoa butter?

Compared to the hot (and generally more humid) climate of Africa and/or the Carribean in which Black people evolved to survive in, the UK's climate is cold and dry and our skin just doesn't like it and gets dry and itchy, so we have to moisturise to keep everything sweet. Cocoa butter is good at the job. In winter something more hardcore (like baby oil) is needed.

I use baby oil in the summer. Tha't's how gangsta I am!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Sewinman wrote:
    I have tried moisturiser once or twice and seems to block up my pores and give me spots. I have the unfortunate combination of an oily 'T-zone', surrounded by dry skin. Yet to find anything that works, so I don't bother with it. These sort of regimes also tend to last two days before I lose interest and the various expensive bottles gather dust on the window-sill.

I am getting back into Talc though...liberal usage.

If I was a black man I would have an afro style and oil my hair...Soul-Glo!

What the hell is a T-zone?
    Do you have any idea how much maintenance goes into an afro? Lots is the answer.
    My hair care regime take me about 5 minutes a week in total (shave it all off twice a month, job done).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Sewinman wrote:
    I have tried moisturiser once or twice and seems to block up my pores and give me spots. I have the unfortunate combination of an oily 'T-zone', surrounded by dry skin. Yet to find anything that works, so I don't bother with it. These sort of regimes also tend to last two days before I lose interest and the various expensive bottles gather dust on the window-sill.

Clarins - the men's moisture gel, and my one and only 'product' - works quite well for me (similar skin by the sound of it).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I used Plusgas the other day. Seemed to work, plus it cleaned all the barbecue muck off my hands.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Wanders in...

GHEY FEST

Runs away
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Do you have any idea how much maintenance goes into an afro? Lots is the answer.
    My hair care regime take me about 5 minutes a week in total (shave it all off twice a month, job done).

It is sort of above your eye brows and then down your nose, in the shape of a T.

Oops, I had assumed that if you just let your hair grow it would form a 'fro!

RJSTerry - cheers for the tip.
  • rjsterry
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Nose and brow - forming a kind of T shape - has a tendency to be much oilier than the rest of the face.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

T-zone:

t-zone.jpg

+1 on the afro front! Plus it gets hot and itchy. I keep my hair low and oil that with baby love.
    18%20.%20BabyLoveDetang.jpg

I miss going to the barbers for a trim though, so therapeutic.

On the subject of needing to moisturise skin (or "cream your skin" as I would say) I would have thought it was more needed in warmer climates as a combination of hot sun and the acidity of sweat dries the skin out and makes it lose elasticity. This being the reason why people who tan excessively looking older before their time.

There are lots of examples (Romans for example and the Greeks) who would literally oil their skin to protect it from the drying effects of the sun (not to stop the sun tan).

I've picked up the habit of moisturising because my parents did and their parents did and I would assume this stems from an ancestor doing so out of a need to keep the skin from drying, what with being forced to work plantation fields all day in the hot sun.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    I suppose the wind and cold of a northern climate has a similar drying effect.

How does one grow/maintain an afro then?

Also, do you use sun-tan lotion?
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman, I've told you this before.

Superdrugs, get tea-tree oil facial wash, scrub or the foam. Use to wash face. Then moisturise face with baby lotion.

Baby lotion isn't that oily compared to other heavily oil based products (such as Nivea and Gillette). The tea-tree oil removes dirt, sweat and external oils from the face and allows your face's natural oil to work it's magic.

It is so good that sometimes after a bike ride I wash my face with Tea-Tree Oil (superdrug brand) and leave it at that no moisturiser. It's that good.

And that's ME saying that.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:

Sewinman wrote:

I have a three small moles on my neck and one on my back. Ms DDD made me promise that I put sun tan lotion on them. Other than that no, never!

Afro - firstly you have to grow your hair, 1 month and I look unkept. 6 weeks will look like a small afro. 2 months and I can run a afro comb through it. (god I miss using a afro comb, so relaxing).

To maintain it, you need to go to the barber get the hairline shaped up and make sure the afro itself is all level. Cutting into shape is an outright skill of design, control and precision.

Wind and cold climate certainly will make the skin dry, but it won't remove the skin's natural oil in the same way the sun does effecting the skin natural elasticity.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Superdrugs, get tea-tree oil facial wash, scrub or the foam. Use to wash face. Then moisturise face with baby lotion.

Baby lotion isn't that oily compared to other heavily oil based products (such as Nivea and Gillette). The tea-tree oil removes dirt, sweat and external oils from the face and allows your face's natural oil to work it's magic.

It is so good that sometimes after a bike ride I wash my face with Tea-Tree Oil (superdrug brand) and leave it at that no moisturiser. It's that good.

Thanks for the tip. I have tried tea- tree oil and found it really strips my skin a bit too much. I might give it another go though.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wind and cold climate certainly will make the skin dry, but it won't remove the skin's natural oil in the same way the sun does effecting the skin natural elasticity.

So, sebum evaporates in the heat does it?
  • rjsterry
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I have tried tea- tree oil and found it really strips my skin a bit too much. I might give it another go though.

Same here. Had a choice of oily or peeling until Mrs RJS bought some of the Clarins stuff. All more or less under control since then.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    edited September 2011
    The "Red" refers to the colour and the "hog" is truncated from hedgehog on the basis that my beard has been variously described as "astringent", "like copper wire of the same thickness"
    and "a chinstarp made of hedgegog skin, including the spikes". My Man regime has not included shampoo since about 1992 and one soap does all, but I love Chamois butter - Assos of course!
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Erm, what the clickity feck is going on?

Jeez, it's like the Just 17 forum around here (apparently).
  • Wanders in...

GHEY FEST

Runs away

Chuckle... i think you lads should move to be with the ladies in the roadies section :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Moisturising, hair products?

I shall beat a hasty retreat, even my manly yorkshireness has taken a battering reading these pages,

Need to get down the old brothel and have a cow pie whilst shagging two lasses to get my man levels back up.

Deffos agree with the fightclub comment.
    Maybe moisturising is like dogging, everyone does it but nobody talks about it :oops:
  • suzyb wrote:
    Driving home from work this evening I'm behind a Golf being driven by a guy.. We stop at a junction behind a few cars and he starts using the rear view mirror to fix his hair.

So It's not just women who use the rear view for something other than looking behind them :lol:

He should have fixed his hair before he left the house. I use enough product (American Crew Fiber) to ensure that my hair stays exactly as I styled it, with a liberal application of my g/f's hairspray if it's windy out. Don't really see the problem tbh. Modern man is a drab beast compared to many of his predecessors.

It's all about giving it some of this.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So, sebum evaporates in the heat does it?
    I put my need to moisture down to the ferocious headwind I must face when riding - those who don't are obviously riding too slowly for this to be a concern :P
  • This looks the right place for my serious make-up related question.

What's the best way to remove foundation?

Before you jump to conclusions Mrs WBW has managed to smear it all over the steering wheel and dashboard of our car. How do I remove it without damaging the finish of the plastic and leather trim?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DonDaddyD
    This looks the right place for my serious make-up related question.

Before you jump to conclusions Mrs WBW has managed to smear it all over the steering wheel and dashboard of our car. How do I remove it without damaging the finish of the plastic and leather trim?
    Maybe moisturising is like dogging, everyone does it but nobody talks about it :oops:
    Would seem so given the above...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Eeeeeup lads.

Hair - 5 drops of Finishline Wet Lube massaged though
    Skin - lightly sprayed with GT85 and any excess wiped off
    Feet - a drop of marine grease between each toe should sort them out.
    Cleaning - quick spray with MuckOff, leave for 5 minutes then hose off or shower if you pooves need hot water.

All you need to know....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I use a thin layer of sweet almond oil to moisturise my body and lavender replenishing lotion or something from Neal's Yard on the face... Keeps me oiled up and ready to go...

I used that Palmer's Cocoa Butter stuff before, it smells nice! Apparently it was Naomi Campbell's moisturiser of choice...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD
    I use a thin layer of sweet almond oil to moisturise my body and lavender replenishing lotion or something from Neal's Yard on the face... Keeps me oiled up and ready to go...

I used that Palmer's Cocoa Butter stuff before, it smells nice! Apparently it was Naomi Campbell's moisturiser of choice...

Yeah, you see, I've read this before from you and I thought exactly the same thing.

It all makes sense now.
    Food Chain number = 4

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    This looks the right place for my serious make-up related question.

Try dissolving soda crystals in warm water and then sponging the affected area. Soda crystals are really good at getting rid of oil based marks - I use it in the kitchen when the top cupboards get all sticky (happens in the winter when the kitchen is steamy and you're cooking or frying food). It disperses the grease, and as foundation is usually oil based, it should clear it off. It's usually on the bottom shelf of the household cleaning products section in the supermarket - or somewhere like Wilkinsons should definitely have it.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Thank you msmancunia I shall certainly give it a go.

See fellow posters, some people don't just joke about but give useful advice. Now, what is the best mascara to give my eye lashes better definition? :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • See fellow posters, some people don't just joke about but give useful advice. Now, what is the best mascara to give my eye lashes better definition? :wink:

parker-quink-ink-bottle.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I use a thin layer of sweet almond oil to moisturise my body and lavender replenishing lotion or something from Neal's Yard on the face... Keeps me oiled up and ready to go...

Yeah, you see, I've read this before from you and I thought exactly the same thing.

It all makes sense now.

Glad you've finally sussed me out...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It all makes sense now.

Glad you've finally sussed me out...

penny-drops1.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!