It's not just women

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
With the recent spate of threads against women I thought I'd post this.

Driving home from work this evening I'm behind a Golf being driven by a guy.. We stop at a junction behind a few cars and he starts using the rear view mirror to fix his hair.

So It's not just women who use the rear view for something other than looking behind them :lol:

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That would have been one of them Metrosexuals, not a man y'see.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SimonAH wrote:
    That would have been one of them Metrosexuals, not a man y'see.

Well said Simon. 'He' probably washes with 'product' and engages in other girly acts of grooming. Real men don't do this.

I shave my head because its less effort to cut it all off twice a month rather than daily acts of maintenance. I shave my face just before it gets itchy.

Thats man grooming!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ewwww you don't moisturise.....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Ewwww, you do...?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Of course I do. Its a Black Man Ting, ennit?! I always smell of cocoa butter.

• Agent57
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

OK, this has piqued my interest. A guy at work uses cocoa butter. What is it with black dudes and cocoa butter?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    Agent57 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

OK, this has piqued my interest. A guy at work uses cocoa butter. What is it with black dudes and cocoa butter?

Compared to the hot (and generally more humid) climate of Africa and/or the Carribean in which Black people evolved to survive in, the UK's climate is cold and dry and our skin just doesn't like it and gets dry and itchy, so we have to moisturise to keep everything sweet. Cocoa butter is good at the job. In winter something more hardcore (like baby oil) is needed.

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    give me one reason why its necessary to hydrate dead cells by trapping moisture, which would otherwise evaporate away, under a sheen of oil?
  • EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    give me one reason why its necessary to hydrate dead cells by trapping moisture, which would otherwise evaporate away, under a sheen of oil?

I refer you to my previous post.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I refer you to my previous post.
    Isn't London sweaty and oily enough as it is?

My post was more a repost to the presumption that it was somehow minging not to moisturise.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Would you all take a good long look at yourselves, you're arguing about the merits or not of moisturising. MTFU, and if you 'have' to do it then treat the subject like fight club.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Koncordski wrote:
    Would you all take a good long look at yourselves, you're arguing about the merits or not of moisturising. MTFU, and if you 'have' to do it then treat the subject like fight club.
    Um.... good point. :oops:
  • EKE_38BPM
    In my defence, I didn't bring it up and I don't do it for cosmetic purposes.

• Agent57
    Maybe this is why my skin's quite dry, being half-Guyanese an' all.
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Either that, or you just have dry skin.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Agent57 wrote:

Hey, brother, get busy with the cocoa butter. Palmers is the brand of choice.
    Its good with 'just dry skin' too.

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Er, guys (EKE, DDD and FA) let me introduce you the the joys of 'pure' shea butter. Wonderful stuff for the skin during the UK winter.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I bought some facial scrub about 10 years ago.

Still got it.
  • Cafewanda
    Joelsim wrote:
    I bought some facial scrub about 10 years ago.

Still got it.

Using it to clean pots and pans?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    You need to get into Bio-Oil guys. Smells nice, (not too girly), works wonders, and magics away those stretchmarks - for those of you who have the weight dropping off after starting cycling!
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    msmancunia wrote:
    You need to get into Bio-Oil guys. Smells nice, (not too girly), works wonders, and magics away those stretchmarks - for those of you who have the weight dropping off after starting cycling!

I love bio oil, it's fab stuff!

I am rather partial to shea butter as well and have noticed Jake is starting to use it. certinally makes the beard more bearable as it helps moisturise his face and keeps the bristles softer.

I still hate the beard however :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Cafewanda
    NGale wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

I love bio oil, it's fab stuff!

I am rather partial to shea butter as well and have noticed Jake is starting to use it. certinally makes the beard more bearable as it helps moisturise his face and keeps the bristles softer.

I still hate the beard however :shock:

Put him into a deep sleep then remove? :wink:
  • I have found 3-in-1 and copper slip as adequete moisturisers.

How effective is shea butter at stopping seat posts from sticking?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah good for you Suzy.

Usually the problems I get are from (male) bus drivers and (male) cabbies and (male) aggressive sports car drivers.

Then again, I also had a women on the school run get out and try and hit me.

Pretty sure gender doesn't mean much when it comes to driving.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Compared to the hot (and generally more humid) climate of Africa and/or the Carribean in which Black people evolved to survive in, the UK's climate is cold and dry and our skin just doesn't like it and gets dry and itchy, so we have to moisturise to keep everything sweet. Cocoa butter is good at the job. In winter something more hardcore (like baby oil) is needed.

Bit OT, but this has never made sense to me. There are plenty of dark skinned people who originate from very dry areas. I think its primarily a cultural thing. My Trini family in the UK/US use cocoa butter because they grew up with the previous generation (who live in Trinidad) using it. And they're light skinned/red. I reckon the explanation that people of afro decent naturally have drier skin has come about because dry skin is just more obvious if you're black/mixed race. Dead cells that naturally fall away from the skin will be lighter than the skin it comes from, and don't show up as much if you have white skin. Which is why it isn't a habit of white men to moisturise themselves...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    notsoblue wrote:
    Which is why it isn't a habit of white men to moisturise themselves...

I'm White Yorkshire (I think thats the official ethnic group) and I moisturise, if I didn't I'd have sore shaving rash and irritable dry skin.

Never tried cocoa butter though, don't you end up smelling like a "Malibu" cocktail?

I concur with the keep the hair short to save post shower faffing around though.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Marvellous. Two pages and more to come no doubt on men's grooming & the merits or otherwise of moisturising. Gotta love this place. :)
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    edited September 2011
    I have tried moisturiser once or twice and seems to block up my pores and give me spots. I have the unfortunate combination of an oily 'T-zone', surrounded by dry skin. Yet to find anything that works, so I don't bother with it. These sort of regimes also tend to last two days before I lose interest and the various expensive bottles gather dust on the window-sill.

I am getting back into Talc though...liberal usage.

If I was a black man I would have an afro style and oil my hair...Soul-Glo!
  • CiB wrote:
    Marvellous. Two pages and more to come no doubt on men's grooming & the merits or otherwise of moisturising. Gotta love this place. :)

Wait till Boffo gets past his heartburn and posts some more leg pics...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I think this thread proves that not only do some men do their hair in the rear view mirror as much as women but they also spend as long in the bathroom trying to beautify themselves.