Have Team Sky backed the wrong man?

124»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    I'd keep Froome and have him as team leader in the Giro with its steeper climbs whilst having Wiggins in the Tour. Lofkvist's performances suggest he should be a domestique whereas Uran is still young and needs a chance to develop, perhaps he could ride in support of Wiggins at the Tour and then be given a go as leader in the Vuelta? There are other teams where they manage to spread the leadership over the three GTs.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    There are more than enough big races to go around. I imagine Froome would quite like a shot at races like Romandie, the Tour de Suisse, Paris-Nice, Dauphine, and even some of the illustrious Spanish stage races.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Turfle wrote:
    There are more than enough big races to go around. I imagine Froome would quite like a shot at races like Romandie, the Tour de Suisse, Paris-Nice, Dauphine, and even some of the illustrious Spanish stage races.

Looking at yesterday, the Ardennes classics would be somethin he should look at and Sky haven't really got a big player for those (although Uran did well at LBL)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mroli wrote:
    Also, Wiggins will be there next year, there is a question about Froome, so Wiggins' points are more valuable.

This is a seriously valid point. Why back Froome if, next year, he is going to take his points elsewhere ? Why put Wiggins at risk of going out of the back and losing points which he will keep at Team Sky next year ?

This is (one of) the seriously flawed aspect of the points system IMHO they should split the points half and half between the team and the rider, but that's another thread :wink:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    P_Tucker wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I don't remember ANYONE posting that Froome should be team leader before the Vuelta.
    OTF - did you advise that ?

Cycling is so volatile and it's wee-wee easy to be an expert after things have happened.

No-ones claiming he should have been team leader from the off, but:

1. He beat Wiggins in a pan flat TT FFS
    2. Sky management has access to a lot more information that we do on which to judge riders form.

I'm not sure any of us would've suggested that Froome should be the team leader prior to the race starting. But wasn't he allocated as Sky's team leader for this race before Wiggins took a tumble in the Tour?

If he'd prepared for and ridden previous Grand Tours as a team leader without having to do the work that a domestique does could he have performed better than his previous erratic way?

As for his TTing, he's not too bad. Finished 2nd in the Nationals last year although some way behind Wiggins, but who knows how both of them prepared for that compared to this.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Yeah he showed he has more of an uphill kick than people gave him credit for.

Personally I'd be vary wary about going into the Giro with Froome as sole leader. He and Uran might be a good combo. Wiggins for the Tour. Henao + one other for the Vuelta.

Also, assuming the rumour is true, got to wonder if they told Kanstantsin Sivtsov that he'd be protected in the Giro next year.