Vuelta Stage 15 **Spoiler**

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    Cobo reminds me of the bad old days. And ex Saunier Duval. Hmmmmm.

You could also say a nobody like Froome dropping people like Nibali is like the bad old days.

But I sort of agree. And I don't trust anyone with Buffalo in their nickname

At least this one is not the same size of a buffalo... unlike the last one.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Wow, when you look at the overall result it really does hit home what an amazing climber Wiggins has become and that Froome has shown to be.
  • afx237vi
    Froome should be given a free hand on the next mountain stage now.
  • So what will Sky's tatics be now then? Will they maintain Wiggo as lead and use Froome to help him try and gain some time? Or should they allow Froome to ride for himself?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Sky have got play the double act now and constantly attack Cobo.

Where did Cobo come from? Looking at his palmares some decent results in some halfway tours and 10th in the Vuleta in 2009.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    Froome should be given a free hand on the next mountain stage now.
    He should have had that yesterday - it looked like he could have distanced Wiggins and gained a couple of seconds...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Froome Dropping Climbers like Nibali ??? Done nothing on a bike and is climbing like Indurain !!!!. Sorry to be cynical
  • The only chance they have is to let both riders do what they like and attack one at a time, obviously not together, they have to attack Cobo's team to have any chance and to do that have to do it as a 1 2.
  • FJS
    Sporza commentators are pretty uncomfortable with Cobo's resurrection... apparently Cobo's a trained chef, leading to jokes about ingredients and such...
    Have to agree he comes back from a ban a bit too good...
  • The only chance they have is to let both riders do what they like and attack one at a time, obviously not together, they have to attack Cobo's team to have any chance and to do that have to do it as a 1 2.

You mean like the Schlecks :wink:
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Cobo looked quite fresh at the end- perhaps too fresh?

it did look like wiggins needed a bigger sprocket though.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It seems like a disappointment now but when you think of how far Wiggins has come in the last few years, to be finishing top 5 on a climb like the Angliru, it really is a remarkable achievement. Even more remarkable when you think that he is much less suited to the steep punchy climbs used in the Vuelta. It looks very likely that we're going to have two British cyclists on the podium of a grand tour and in the end who could complain about that?
  • I dont think the Shreks invented the concept of two team mates attacking as a one two.
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Where did Cobo come from? Looking at his palmares some decent results in some halfway tours and 10th in the Vuleta in 2009.

Had his breakthrough in Pais Vasco 2007. QS doc Yvan Vanmol had this to say about it:

"Cobo? Is dit onverklaarbaar? Zijn vooruitgang is toch spectaculair te noemen. Twee jaar geleden reed ik achter hem in de Ronde van Duitsland toen hij op pad was met Bram Tankink. Onze Nederlander reed hem er zo af, terwijl Saunier Duval in het Baskenland nu alle ploegen naar huis fietste. In het hedendaagse wielrennen is het maar normaal dat er daar vragen bij gesteld worden.'"

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail ... d=1H1CE6F3
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I agree about how suspicious Cobo's form is but is it any more suspicious than Froome's?
  • I dont think the Shreks invented the concept of two team mates attacking as a one two.

I know I was being tongue in cheek.

'For me it's a shame Wiggo doesn't have an attack on him. If he could just find a that essential ingredient then a number one on the podium would really be a reality.
  • Gazzetta67
    Yes how very apt eh the TV cameraman following Wiggo crashes ? Robert Millar not the only one "stitched up" in a spanish race eh :o
  • but froome is on a british team... BRITS dont cheat like those shady continentals!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • afx237vi
    FJS wrote:
    Sporza commentators are pretty uncomfortable with Cobo's resurrection... apparently Cobo's a trained chef, leading to jokes about ingredients and such...

He's never been banned, has he?
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    i may be wrong but i thought i spotted blood on wiggo's knee as he crossed the line (though i was watching on a tiny screen). anyone clarify this?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Milton50 wrote:
    I agree about how suspicious Cobo's form is but is it any more suspicious than Froome's?

Yeah, cobo is Spanish :wink::wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Great ride from Wiggins and Froome. Top 5 up that monster is seriously impressive.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Will Sky try and cause a split in the peloton at some point? Or somehow get Froome/Wiggins into a break and then spend the rest of the stage causing as much disruption to a Geox chase? Those 6 second bonuses at intermediates look tempting when you're only 20 seconds behind. It's certainly something to think of.

Geox played it well getting Menchov third and so taking away a time bonus from Froome.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited September 2011
    It has to be said too that Wiggins performing as he is after the injury and following operation he has had is amazing.
  • Let's hope there's a drugs bust tomorrow during the rest day. Oh wait a sec, this is Spain, so will never happen.
  • David Milllar's comments about drug use at Saunier Duval seem poignant right now.
  • FJS
    afx237vi wrote:
    FJS wrote:

He's never been banned, has he?
    Crap, no you're right. He wanted to quit cycling, thought that was after a ban last year, but no. Well, he was part of Saunier Duval...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Brad stayed in the saddle on the steep stuff. I wonder how much that collar bone was still hurting. I've broken bones and 7/8 weeks isn't all that long convalescence time. (I'm amazed VdB is going as strong as he is so soon after a punctured lung)

Nah, Cobo hasn't been banned. The whole of SD abandoned/were thrown out of the race in TdF 2008 when Ricco/Piepoli got caught for CERA. I've watched the Hautacam stage several times: Piepoli looked easy, Cobo struggled a lot to stay with him
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gazzetta67
    Straws,Clutching at !!! - Froome will be looked at with raised eyebrows as well. Or else the meat served in Kenya these days is the same stuff the Lions get :D
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    FFS - Wiggins gets dropped, and this forum goes nuts. Cobo's a drug cheat. The motorcycle held Wiggins up. Poor Brad is the moral victor - he's coming back from injury you know. Blah, blah, blah.

No wonder the phrase whinging pom was coined to describe the English.