Training when not 100% recovered.

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    danowat wrote:
    calm down girls.

As amusing as Zoomer's comments are, I agree with Tom Dean. OP needs to measure his efforts it would seem. Combination of HR and speed should help achieve this.

FFS :roll: speed is a ridiculous way of measuring effort, and HR is way too easily influenced by external forces, power meter is the way to go, but feel is a good second best.

I was suggesting using speed on the turbo or rollers as a measure of effort. Is this ridiculous?

'Feel' is the second best way of measuring effort, after a power meter? Really?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    edit, I am out :roll:
  • Tom Dean
    danowat wrote:
    edit, I am out :roll:

Shame, I thought you were going to back up your dismissive comment with some reasoned arguments. FFS :roll: indeed
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Tom Dean wrote:
    I was suggesting using speed on the turbo or rollers as a measure of effort. Is this ridiculous?

Wouldn't work on my turbo as it takes a good hour to warm up and stabilise. During that time keeping a constant speed results in power dropping off. Interestingly, if you didn't use a bit of common sense and go on feel, you could convince yourself that all is well cos the drop off in the power required just about cancels out cardiac drift - in other words if you hold a constant speed then your HR could stay roughly constant so without a bit of common sense you wouldn't be getting the planned workout. It'd be a bit like doing a TT and taking it easy towards the end.
    More problems but still living....
  • Tom Dean
    edited August 2011
    amaferanga wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:

Wouldn't work on my turbo as it takes a good hour to warm up and stabilise. During that time keeping a constant speed results in power dropping off. Interestingly, if you didn't use a bit of common sense and go on feel, you could convince yourself that all is well cos the drop off in the power required just about cancels out cardiac drift - in other words if you hold a constant speed then your HR could stay roughly constant so without a bit of common sense you wouldn't be getting the planned workout. It'd be a bit like doing a TT and taking it easy towards the end.

An hour! Fair enough I can see how that's a problem.

I do this kind of work on the rollers at a set speed. I don't see any reason to think much warming up goes on after my initial warm-up (please tell me this is right...) The HR drifts upwards during the efforts as you would expect.

edit: Plus if you know this happens with your turbo, you can still use speed and take account of the decreasing resistance eg increase 1kph every 2mins to keep a constant power. Doing some roll-down tests should allow you to figure out a reasonably flat profile.

Without accurate measurement there will always be a bit of trial and error involved.
  • amaferanga
    I think it'd be fine to use speed on rollers.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Haha these threads never fail to amuse me-they're all basically the same too!! :lol:

As you were.......
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Tom BB wrote:
    Haha these threads never fail to amuse me-they're all basically the same too!! :lol:

As you were.......

You get amused easilly don't you?
  • Tom BB
    freehub wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:

As you were.......

You get amused easilly don't you?

Relatively yeah.......I don't take things too seriously tbh!

How's your training going?
  • freehub
    I'm just going to do 2*20 the way I do it, I'm apparently listening to too many people.

If I get under 1 hour, cool, if I don't cool, I will get under the hour next year guaranteed and no reason why I should not do a 50min one day.
  • Tom BB
    freehub wrote:
    I'm just going to do 2*20 the way I do it, I'm apparently listening to too many people.

Or not listening to anyone :lol: I'm of course joking fella-just getting on with it sounds like a plan, just get out and ride hard-its how I do most of my training and until my enforced 7 weeks off the bike recently I'd been improving all year. Try and mix things up too-a change is as good as a rest 8)
  • Tom Dean
    freehub wrote:

If I get under 1 hour, cool, if I don't cool, I will get under the hour next year guaranteed and no reason why I should not do a 50min one day.

ok, no need to try to optimise your training (with the tools you have available) if you don't want to. You are guaranteed to reach your goals anyway!

Did you do your session yesterday, out of interest?
  • freehub wrote:

I think 6 people have EVER gone under 50min in the UK. You'll be lucky to crack 55 - and you'll need a TT bike to do it.

EDIT: 6 people on the records list. More people have done it, but not that many!
  • freehub
    Tom BB wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Or not listening to anyone :lol: I'm of course joking fella-just getting on with it sounds like a plan, just get out and ride hard-its how I do most of my training and until my enforced 7 weeks off the bike recently I'd been improving all year. Try and mix things up too-a change is as good as a rest 8)

Another week of what I've being doing then my routine will totally change as I'm back to Manchester on 4th September.

Tom Dean wrote:
    freehub wrote:

ok, no need to try to optimise your training (with the tools you have available) if you don't want to. You are guaranteed to reach your goals anyway!

Did you do your session yesterday, out of interest?

I did, I was thinking I'd be alot faster on a tt bike that's properly fitted, all I was doing yesterday was moving all over the place, and those profile design bars, well I was thinking how much better I'd feel with the bars that are just like straight poles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/109285522

I messed up on the second one, I went straight on instead and thought I'd finish before I reached the village, I had to go down a really windy narrow road.

StageWinner, ok 50 maybe too optimistic, but I think there is no reason to do a 55, if I train better then there is no way I'd just be "lucky" to do a 55.

There is a possibility I'll be doing the 25 I aim for on a tt bike.
  • Tom Dean
    edited August 2011
    freehub wrote:

I think 6 people have EVER gone under 50min in the UK. You'll be lucky to crack 55 - and you'll need a TT bike to do it.

EDIT: 6 people on the records list. More people have done it, but not that many!

erm 97 according to this http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... 89&hl=club

including a few pre tri bars

Many more will have done 'a 50'
  • freehub wrote:

Does it matter? Why set a limit, it just becomes a mental barrier. Reach for the stars...

;)
  • That list gives a good idea of the fastest 25 courses. But my point still stands. Even going sub-55 is a major feat that requires a good course and a good bike. And an even better rider.
  • Tom Dean
    That list gives a good idea of the fastest 25 courses. But my point still stands. Even going sub-55 is a major feat that requires a good course and a good bike. And an even better rider.

Agreed. I wasn't trying to say it was easy!
  • freehub
    Does it require a good bike? I'm sure people have done it on crap bikes.
  • Tom Dean
    freehub wrote:
    Does it require a good bike? I'm sure people have done it on crap bikes.

depends what you mean by crap. I don't think many 50s have been done on badly fitting or unsuitable bikes.

I would expect most people at the top level of the sport to put some thought into their choice of equipment.
  • A fair few of those times were done 20+ years ago on what would (by today's standards) be considered crap bikes.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Even going sub-55 is a major feat that requires a good course and a good bike. And an even better rider.

Nah, I did 55:08 this season and I'm a vet with huge case of CBA most of the time. Will should be battering me at his age!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    I might be able to batter you on the hills but not at tt's yet :lol:
  • a_n_t
    If I had a quarter of the time you have to train I might be quite good. :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    I've being doing speed training for 2 weeks now.
  • a_n_t
    I've not ridden for 10 days now. (i did move house though)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • amaferanga
    a_n_t wrote:

Not if you trained like he does.
  • freehub
    amaferanga wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

Who said you could post in my thread mr tw@t.
  • amaferanga
    freehub wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

Who said you could post in my thread mr tw@t.

I didn't realise you decided who could and couldn't post on an open thread on an open forum on the internet.
  • freehub
    It should be introduced, I want trolls abolishing.