2011-2012 Expectant parent (cyclists) club!

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    rjsterry wrote:

Also, anyone see the Comedy Prom, and in particular Tim Minchin's Lullaby? Rather dark humour (perhaps too dark for some).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFANzZTdYM

Saw it on Saturday night - absolute genius. Mrs F has only just stopped laughing...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    mroli wrote:
    Zenistar - how are things going?

Cheer for asking.

Things are ok at the moment, the contractions are back under control via a combination of high bloodpressure pills and complete bed rest. SO actually has low blood pressure so im a bit worried about the high blood pressure pills causing her to faint etc but their side effects seem to be doing the job of stopping the contractions at the moment.

She is still in hospital for the moment, only allowed to leave her bed to go to the bathroom, so she gets waited on hand a foot. Baby looks and sounds fine when on ultrasound or heart monitor.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    One thing I've noticed, every purchase is a carefully weighed consideration of variables you impose upon yourself. And even though you realise the benefits and downsides are negligible you're rendered permanently into a state of indecision.

My bane.

Moses Baskets! I walk into Mothercare and could decide on none. There was even one that ex-display I think that was half price. Now if this was just about me, I would have purchased it with glee and a belief that I found the deal of the f*cking century. But no, alas the variables didn't add to a yes. The quality of the stitching holding the basket together held me back.

So. Chaps! Moses baskets. Any advice?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    we borrowed a friends but just bought a new mattress.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    we borrowed a friends but just bought a new mattress.

Bingo - that's the plan.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    One thing I've noticed, every purchase is a carefully weighed consideration of variables you impose upon yourself. And even though you realise the benefits and downsides are negligible you're rendered permanently into a state of indecision.

My bane.

Moses Baskets! I walk into Mothercare and could decide on none. There was even one that ex-display I think that was half price. Now if this was just about me, I would have purchased it with glee and a belief that I found the deal of the f*cking century. But no, alas the variables didn't add to a yes. The quality of the stitching holding the basket together held me back.

So. Chaps! Moses baskets. Any advice?

This will pass once mini-DDD arrives you'll just go for "can I afford it? Is it more or less OK? That'll do." You'll have a bazillion things to do and can't sit there imming and amming. You'll also realise that there isn't actually that much to choose between the various options - they are just trying to convince you that the extra widget on basket A makes it WAY better than basket B.
    BTW, watch the Tim Minchin video.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    our clothes shopping for LO went, in the space of nine months from:

Petit Bateau > John Lewis > Gap > Next > H&M > Sainsburys > ASDA.
  • rjsterry
    Arf.

Ooh, Poundland is brilliant for Peppa Piug stickers BTW. (DDD, the significance of this will become clear in due course).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    We bought eBay, and sold eBay. With canny selling skills and the pot constantly topped up with presents from relatives we made a profit overall on clothing the MiniAH in the early years - and she was always wearing top quality schmutter too. :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • So DDD, are you having a boy or a bint?
  • rjsterry
    So DDD, are you having a boy or a bint?

Teehee.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The only advice I have on moses baskets is buy two. It's much easier to carry a baby up and down stairs than it is to carry a baby and a moses basket. On that account, just buy cheap ones, they aren't in them for very long anyway.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    The only advice I have on moses baskets is buy two. It's much easier to carry a baby up and down stairs than it is to carry a baby and a moses basket. On that account, just buy cheap ones, they aren't in them for very long anyway.

To that end, we just used the bassinet in the pram downstairs - kept the moses basket upstairs. Ah, its making me all nostalgic for the night when Lady Cat and Baby Cat both had a vomitting bug and I was picking chunks out of the wicker at 4 in the morning. Happy Days!
  • asprilla
    To that end, we just used the bassinet in the pram downstairs - kept the moses basket upstairs.

In another example of form over function, the Bugaboo bassinet can't be used if it's not actually in the pushchair, it doesn't lie flat and collapses on itself.

On the subject of Peppa Pig, this was amongst The Mighty Pickle's first proper words even though she had never actually seen it on TV. It's everywhere.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • DonDaddyD
    I think I'll go with a Mamas and Papas moses basket.

We've carry cot goes with the Pushchair/Pram.

That stays downstairs, Moses basket stays in the bedroom.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    Was in M&P at the weekend buying a buggy board. They are indeed skilled in the art of emptying your wallet. Emotional blackmail - surely you want the best for your little one? - is a powerful tool.

On Peppa Pig, the littl'un recently went to see 'Peppa' in Sutton town centre. Some poor bugger in an seven foot high costume. Have pictures of the littl'un looking initially excited turning to mild panic as the oversized cartoon pig looms towards her. Also raises intersting questions over how you render a 2D character in three dimensions
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    Was in M&P at the weekend buying a buggy board. They are indeed skilled in the art of emptying your wallet. Emotional blackmail - surely you want the best for your little one? - is a powerful tool.

Tell me about it. It's something I've heard about but really can't describe how bad it is. I even think they deliberately make the reasonably priced items crappy just to make the more expensive ones look better and then sell them at an overinflated price.

Can't wait to get out of this stage and act like a Skinflint again without feeling bad....

"How much for cash" When did it become morally wrong to walk into a shop and ask this question? Even if it is about a box of nappies!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Another one for the expecting parents club, we are expecting our 3rd daughter in December.

Fortunately Mrs B. is getting pretty good at this pregnant thing now as I'm off for a weeks cycling this month and then I'm in Dubai, South Africa and Paris next month with work, I'd never have got away with that the first time around!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    On the subject of Peppa Pig, this was amongst The Mighty Pickle's first proper words even though she had never actually seen it on TV. It's everywhere.

Count your lucky stars that you've missed the High School Musical thing.

You'll end up going to Peppa Pig World, a place where greasy food is limitless so take a picnic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Count your lucky stars that you've missed the High School Musical thing.

You'll end up going to Peppa Pig World, a place where greasy food is limitless so take a picnic.

We are kinda trying to avoid TV in general with her. Not sure how easy that will be if there are two of them. Still, we've got to 21 months without actually showing her kids TV and at the moment she barely notices it's on when she's in the room.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • DonDaddyD
    ^^Gonna do the above with sweets and take away^^

We don't have Sky and I'm giving up my X-box so I think that takes care of the TV and computer games department.

The kid will read books and comics.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The kid will read comics.
    Only comics.
    Nothing but comics.

FTFY
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • asprilla
    The Pickle loves reading. Well, she loves looking at the pictures and being asked what she can see and at the moment how many there are and what colour they are.

Currently everything is purple and there are two and she's fairly adamant about that.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Mrs B is due at the end of the month with our 2nd boy. Number 1 being just 18 months i forsee much tiredness, bickering and joy.

On Prams, we got the i candy apple specifically to buy the adaptors and make a 'pear' when no.2 arrives but the adaptors cost 400 quid including the new cot part as the apple wont fit the pear. Robdogs. Everywhere gives you a different answer on how it all works so were just getting a whole new double. Baby jogger, city select. Shame because the i candy was a good piece of kit all in all.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Only comics.
    Nothing but comics.

FTFY

To be fair the Beano Annual is technically a book
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Only comics.
    Nothing but comics.

FTFY

Nah sod that. Comics are about £2.25 - £2.50 a pop. Sure a single issue doesn't hurt but comics don't work like that. Lets take Avengers for example:

There isn't just one Avengers title oh no. At any one time there is usually Mighty, New and Secret Avengers and The Avengers. Cool. So you buy 4 -5 issues to follow Captain America or Thor. But Captain America and Thor have their own self-titled comics so you get those to find out why they changed costume (this actually happened to Spider-man who has 3 self titled comics). Then they split the self titled comic into two, say, Captain America and Captain America and Bucky (happened) so you end up buying both because all the stories relate to each other in a shared Universe (one continuity, a little like Torchwood and Dr Who). Why do you do this? Because the stories in the now 10+ comics you collect all lead up to, play a part and contribute to the major cross title event (House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Fear Itself).

Cross title events are the comic industries Summer blockbuster that are sold at a premium, usually £1 more than the standard issue - but you get shiny paper. Don't follow these at your peril. If you don't you won't understand why your comics have the word "Dark" written all over their titles. So you get the event, the prologue and aftermath issues as well, which are of course separate. The event storyline doesn't just involve the comics you collect, oh no. They seep into the comics you don't collect and all the other franchises, Hulk, Daredevil, X-men, Spider-man etc So you buy those to follow the story. Suddenly you're collecting anywhere between 25 - 35 titles all at about £2.25 - £3.25.

That's just Marvel. Wash rinse and repeat with DC comics as well.

It's taken me years to figure out what comics are gateway comics that do the above and which are worth collecting.

The kid can collect some comics, if he/she wants to but I'll be monitoring it like I would computer games or cartoons.

And they can't read mine, they'll get their greasy hands all over em....

I just like to talk about comics :oops:
    Food Chain number = 4

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Asprilla wrote:

the only advice I have on moses baskets is that in spite of what you might think, they aren't actually suitable for baby river transportation.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    be prepared for the baby being put into the moses basket, baby deciding she doesn't like it in there and telling you so

NCT nearly new sales, winner every time
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Only comics.
    Nothing but comics.

FTFY