Evans/BMC Warranty

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    One simple way to answer this - post the bike on the 'Your Bikes' subforum and see what the verdict is.

Then print the results out and take them to Evans :lol:

Incidentally, this is the penalty you pay for buying a product where the manufacturer prats around with standard components. Eg Campag comes with alloy or black calipers depending on the range. There is rarely any choice and both colours look fine on any coloured frame.

BMC go to the trouble of colour coding the brakes for absolutely no purpose at all except appearances and then absolve themselves of having to provide a match. If colour matches didn't matter, why do they colour code them in the first place?

The same crap is going to happen with these stupid colour coded wheels that are going to get increasingly common.

BMC - avoid.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    I don't like white saddles in any case, but I'd really want that changed.

The brakes I could just about live with... And if I couldn't, then they're a great excuse for an upgrade in the future.

But the saddle looks wrong :)

I hope you get it sorted. I can see both sides of the argument here, but I think the sale of goods act rather trumps the warranty wriggling from BMC. After spending 1300 quid I'd want more, and to be honest I'd probably be pushing for a new bike after only 4 months in accordance with the SOGA.

They have accepted that it was faulty by replacing the frame. They should make the whole sale good.
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • mjl1982
    mjl1982 Posts: 64
    Thanks guys for your opinions on this! All of you have helped with my argument which I’m putting across to Evans.
  • rolf_f
    Good luck with it!

BTW - maybe worth checking what the saddle and brakes fetch on ebay. If you can get replacements at cost price, and sell the originals on for the same, no one ends up financially out of pocket.
  • mjl1982
    chiark wrote:
    I don't like white saddles in any case, but I'd really want that changed.

The brakes I could just about live with... And if I couldn't, then they're a great excuse for an upgrade in the future.

But the saddle looks wrong :)

I hope you get it sorted. I can see both sides of the argument here, but I think the sale of goods act rather trumps the warranty wriggling from BMC. After spending 1300 quid I'd want more, and to be honest I'd probably be pushing for a new bike after only 4 months in accordance with the SOGA.

They have accepted that it was faulty by replacing the frame. They should make the whole sale good.

At one stage they were giving me a new bike, they rang me and told me they will order a few bikes in to the store then they changed their mind. Actually the day I was suppose to go down to look at various bikes which they had in the store BMC SR01, Sabbath, Litespeed & Scott CR1. Then I got a phone call from the assistant manager saying ‘ great news we have got your frame back from BMC, come down tomorrow to pick up your bike’ Then the following day I had another phone call ‘ sorry the frame we have got is not the same as the original’....???!
  • mjl1982
    Rolf F wrote:
    Good luck with it!

BTW - maybe worth checking what the saddle and brakes fetch on ebay. If you can get replacements at cost price, and sell the originals on for the same, no one ends up financially out of pocket.

Cheers Rolf!

Will let you know what Evans come back with... Just emailed them – hopefully here back soon!
  • mjl1982
    Just sent a email to customer services, also spoke to a lady from cust serv. The lady said I should be happy with the SR01 frame as I can pass the bike of as a complete SR01. :lol:
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    You won't be able to pass it off as an SR01 with those white calipers. I think they look naff and a kludge.

+1 @Rolf re the nonsense of dicking around colour coding fitting kit. And +1 re the point that if BMC thought it was worthwhile colour coding in the first place, they shouldn't be surprised that you want the match on your 3 week replacement bike that is being replaced because their frame cracked.
  • mjl1982
    Exactly... how can I pass it off?? Also wouldn’t want to pass it off...if its not the real thing.

Just amused me when the lady said that... I just said, yep great idea! Why don’t I take the badge of my car and put the next best thing instead.. after all its only subtle differences. How cool would that be!

I’ve broke my girlfriends sunglasses might pop down the market at lunch... not much difference between fakes and real these days!! Rant over!! Haha!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I do hope Evans sort it out to your satisfaction, but if it all goes tits up and you still end up with the grey bike / white components, I have a Charge Spoon in grey I could be persuaded to part with.
  • mjl1982
    keef66 wrote:
    I do hope Evans sort it out to your satisfaction, but if it all goes tits up and you still end up with the grey bike / white components, I have a Charge Spoon in grey I could be persuaded to part with.

Thanks Keef... lets hope Evans sort this though!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Tricky one as can see both sides although if I were in your position I wouldn't be happy either as what were colour coded parts now aren't so detract from the overall appearance. not sure where'd you stand legally though if Evans refuse to budge. Although your warranty is with Evans it might be worth emailing BMC and giving them the frame number of the replacement, explaining what's happened and ask if they only send our the SR01 as warranty replacements (as have no stock of the SR02) or if Evans made a mistake and requested the wrong frame as a replacement.
  • merak
    Well I am less tolerant - I don't see Evan's side and don't think they have one. They sell the OP a beautiful new bike that he's been lusting after, and three weeks later the most fundamental part of the bike breaks. And they offer their customer a non-matching frame that destroys the aesthetics of their lovely new bike and expect them to suck it up and be grateful. Shame on them. There is NO way I will ever buy anything from them in the future if this is an example of their customer service.
  • mjl1982
    Of course I dont see Evans side on this. I dont feel what I've asked is too outrageous. I did say to the manager would you be happy if this was your bike... he couldnt even give me a simple answer, brushed it off and said we were going round in circles. :x
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Well I hope customer services help you out with this as it seems the shop mgr doesn't want the hassle / can't be arsed. Keep on at them and make sure they know your not going to take no for an answer.

Based on your pics I wouldn't be happy with the brakes or the saddle as they stick out like saw thumbs when they should blend with the whole theme of the bike, your eye is drawn to them immediately. BMC would never design a scheme like the one you now have and I imagine that not many folk would want to own a bike with such a colour scheme.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Point of order:

People keep saying it's 3 weeks old. OP says it broke 3 weeks ago but he bought it in April.

Still only lasted just over 3 months though. Which would be exceptionally good for a loaf of bread, not so much for a £1300 bike!
  • merak
    Arrggghhh: Compulsory remedial reading comprehension required. Still, that doesn't affect my opinion.
  • mjl1982
    tmg wrote:
    Well I hope customer services help you out with this as it seems the shop mgr doesn't want the hassle / can't be arsed. Keep on at them and make sure they know your not going to take no for an answer.

Based on your pics I wouldn't be happy with the brakes or the saddle as they stick out like saw thumbs when they should blend with the whole theme of the bike, your eye is drawn to them immediately. BMC would never design a scheme like the one you now have and I imagine that not many folk would want to own a bike with such a colour scheme.

Thanks TMG. Didn’t here anything back from Evans today, but they did say it was either today or tomorrow they will contact me.

It really does stick out bad. Surely no one would rather take the bike like this!
  • mjl1982
    Update:

Just got of the phone from Evans Customer Service they said to me that they will not colour code the bike. Rachael from Customer Services told me that I should be happy with what I got!

Rachael mentioned how they were going to swap the bike for me and ordered a few other bikes for me to test in my size... well I was more then happy with that as I quite liked the look of the bikes they mentioned – actually got them to order in the Litespeed myself! Anyway that got scrapped when my frame was in the store... BUT the Waterloo CUT store have apparently told Rachael that I didn’t want any of the bikes...!! THIS IS NOT TRUE!! Honestly, I didn’t realise Evans was like this... bunch of cowboys and LIARS.

Personally I will never buy anything from Evans Cycles again... I’m so annoyed that they said I rejected other bikes.... when that was never the case!! Evans took away that option as soon as my frame was delivered to them!! £1300 I paid for my bike and this is the service you will get! Shocking!! :evil:
  • mjl1982
    Oh yea... When I said I’m stating on what’s happening on bikeradar forum, Rachel replied ‘ that would be very regrettable’
    God I hope they do record their conversation for staff training. Haha! :lol:
  • merak
    Well, they have lost at least two potential future customers.

Sorry about the outcome. I'd be fuming in your position.
  • mjl1982
    Haha! Thanks Merak! I’m waiting for the store manager to get to the store at 4pm, going to ask him why he said that I turned down the option of another bike... ?
    Sent a email asking for written confirmation why they won’t meet my requests..... So we will see.

Apparently in the Evans office they think the bike looks alright.. perhaps they should ask BMC if they can suggest on how to colour code the bikes from now on!
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Speak to citizens advice on this one, now. OK, it's a nice bike and you've got it repaired but it's not what you paid for.

I would be pretty annoyed if someone was putting words in my mouth. Be careful accusing people of deliberately lying though - it could be a simple misunderstanding. Put your position in writing and ask for the name of the CEO?
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • mjl1982
    chiark wrote:
    Speak to citizens advice on this one, now. OK, it's a nice bike and you've got it repaired but it's not what you paid for.

I would be pretty annoyed if someone was putting words in my mouth. Be careful accusing people of deliberately lying though - it could be a simple misunderstanding. Put your position in writing and ask for the name of the CEO?

Cheers, will have a look at a few things tonight CAB etc to see where I stand, also what a few people mentioned on here will help.

Point taken with accusing people of lying... perhaps it was there misunderstanding – just my patience is thin with Evans now.
    I can state though that I was not offered a option. The Assistant manager contacted me by phone and told me the great news that my bike frame has arrived and the workshop manager is currently putting the bike together for me to pick up the next day. It was only the day when I went to collect the bike when I found out it was not the SR02 frame.

Will state everything tonight in a letter to send Evans tomorrow.
  • rolf_f
    mjl1982 wrote:
    Just got of the phone from Evans Customer Service they said to me that they will not colour code the bike. Rachael from Customer Services told me that I should be happy with what I got!:

I don't get the logic of this. You choose a bike you like in the colour you like. The nearly new frame fails due to manufacturing issues and they send you a frame in a colour you don't want that doesn't match the components and you are meant to be happy! Unless the old frame was all scuffed up, I can't see how the new frame represents an improvement.

Still, lucky you didn't get the Lightspeed - now they do have a reputation for shocking customer service........

Plus one on chiarks comment. Always, always be sweet and polite. No matter how provoked!
  • mjl1982
    I don’t get the logic to this either... Would VW send a white door to put a on a Black car b’cos they didn’t have any Black doors in stock?? OB put it better on his post. :D

Cant get hold of anyone at the cut store... ring, ring, ring....
  • You people need to learn to read, it says he discovered the crack 3 weeks ago, and the bike was bought in April. Makes a huge difference!
  • You people need to learn to read, it says he discovered the crack 3 weeks ago, and the bike was bought in April. Makes a huge difference!
  • merak
    +1 about writing to the CEO personally - don't talk to a monkey when you talk to the organ grinder. Give him a link to this thread so he can see what this is doing to Evans' reputation.

If you talk to CAB discuss the possibility of making a claim through the small claims track. Many companies will settle because they don't want the hassle and cost of defending a case, unless they feel it's utterly frivolous.

Whether or not people in the office thought the bike looked alright, it's still nothing like the bike you bought nor does it in any way represent the colour coding that the manufacturer thought worth applying to both models in the range. If it doesn't matter, then why would they bother? My argument would be that the colour coding is a material feature of the design and build and part of the package that you purchased - it is not merely incidental. Another tack is that the current value of the bike has been adversely affected - by it being an unco-ordinated kludge.
  • merak
    You people need to learn to read, it says he discovered the crack 3 weeks ago, and the bike was bought in April. Makes a huge difference!
    Really? In what way does the fact that the bike is 3 months rather than 3 weeks old make a huge difference?