Marmotte 2012

Comments

• sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Bam49, I hate to wave but I've clocked 55mph on an Alp Duez descent last year and have got just under 60 on the Galibier...;-)
  • It's easily possible to hit 60+ on the Galibier as it is possible to ride alpe d'huez in sub 50 mins. Both take practice and both are more normally done by experienced racers rather than sunday fun riders.

The other year someone hit way over than on the descent of the glandon. Unfortunately they weren't attached to their bike at the time.
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    The other year someone hit way over than on the descent of the glandon. Unfortunately they weren't attached to their bike at the time.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.......

On a dull day it is great to have a good belly laugh :lol:
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    I remember watching the TDF on telly in 2003. Richard Virenque was descending from Les Gets to win in Morzine. The cameraman on the following moto (which was struggling to keep up) panned to the speedo which showed 112kmh)
    Legend has it that Lemond and Hinault were doing 70mph on the descent of the Glandon on the way to Alpe d'Huez in 1986.
    The lower section of the Glandon on the south side is indeed a very fast section - there's a catch netting on one bend.
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    ah well, seems like I'm not as fast down there as I thought I was then :oops:
  • craigenty wrote:
    I remember watching the TDF on telly in 2003. Richard Virenque was descending from Les Gets to win in Morzine. The cameraman on the following moto (which was struggling to keep up) panned to the speedo which showed 112kmh)
    Legend has it that Lemond and Hinault were doing 70mph on the descent of the Glandon on the way to Alpe d'Huez in 1986.
    The lower section of the Glandon on the south side is indeed a very fast section - there's a catch netting on one bend.

The Glandon descent used to be mega fast but a landslide meant that the road was re-directed, hence the short steep descent on the way up that the Marmotte goes. It used to be more or less straight from the lake up to the section after the first few hairpins after the new road.

The fastest riders on the descents in the Tour will be the gruppeto, they make minutes up on the leaders on the descents and the flats. Imagine how much faster they go down hill than the leaders.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    It's easily possible to hit 60+ on the Galibier as it is possible to ride alpe d'huez in sub 50 mins. Both take practice and both are more normally done by experienced racers rather than sunday fun riders.

2 years ago 4 of us raced up Alp Duez at the end of a week's riding and I was first, and I did it in 1hr 01. Suprised the others as 2 were 10 years younger and all were lighter than me. ;-)

Also done Joux Plane in 59 minutes.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I didn't get over 50 on any of the Marmotte descents last time out - just not steep enough. That's tucked in, off the brakes.

The wind resistance at 50mph easily balances out the momentum of a 10% slope. You need something steeper to crack 60 - or you need pedal to overcome the resistance.

All the 52mph+ descents I've done have been on slopes steeper than 10% (or wind assisted).
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    I didn't get over 50 on any of the Marmotte descents last time out - just not steep enough. That's tucked in, off the brakes.

The wind resistance at 50mph easily balances out the momentum of a 10% slope. You need something steeper to crack 60 - or you need pedal to overcome the resistance.

All the 52mph+ descents I've done have been on slopes steeper than 10% (or wind assisted).

Not pedalling will affect top speed. On each of the Marmotte descents it is possible to get close to 60 mph and on the Galibier go past 60 mph fairly easily. You'll need to pedal and to be a very experienced bike rider.
  • If anyone is interested I have 3 rooms booked in La Grave which Im just about to cancel due to getting a better offer

I have a single, a double and a triple booked from the 4th to the 8th in a functional looking but not fancy 2* Hotel
    Total cost of each for the stay was 190, 260, 320 Euros a piece

I posted this last month with no takers so I thought I'd try again

My reservation is with booking.com (great service) and I am about to cancel with no penalty
    If youre interested let me know and we can arrange a convenient time for me to terminate my booking and free the rooms for you to potentially book yourself

Cheers
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    maddog 2 wrote:

Not pedalling will affect top speed. On each of the Marmotte descents it is possible to get close to 60 mph and on the Galibier go past 60 mph fairly easily. You'll need to pedal and to be a very experienced bike rider.
    This is what I did, I was with a dutch guy and Italian and pedalling until spun out, then got tuckedin as we hit steeper parts, then we went faster. There was a spannish guy who passed us but he was riding as if it was closed road on both side !!
    I treid to find my Garmin data but cant, guess I have to ride it again :D
    Mind there was one poor english guy we cuaght just going into the tunnels and he had his sunglasses on and that year the tunnels had really bad sufrace and he cam off, I did not see it as we had passed himbut I saw him at finish, he wasalmost peeled top half :( bet he was sore next day.
    I dont know if it is same with tunnels know but if so I hope everyone remembers to make sure glasses lifted through as you will see nothing in the tunnel !!!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Surface in the tunnels was okay in 2011 but its a good tip to those who have not been abroad about the tunnels. I tried this year keeping one closed a minute before entering any of the tunnels as well as my glasses down and that seemed to help.

What did not help was idiots shouting at the tops of their voices in groups trying to unnerve the less experienced riders and ridersw taking chances and riding on wrong side of the tunnel which got them almost killed and the car horns were off putting in the tunnels due to these antics.
    Brian B.
  • maddog 2

I'd like to see the Garmin data on this :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:

I'd like to see the Garmin data on this :wink:

Just watch a bike race on the telly. Bear in mind that the guys at the rear of the race go downhill heaps faster than those at the front.

Professional bike riders go much, much faster than the guys on forums who talk with such authority about maximum speeds and gearing.
  • airg
    airg Posts: 4
    This time last year, I too was training for my first Marmotte.
    My mate and I took the train to Lyon airport, hired a car and stayed in Bourg.
    I wrote up our experience of the day at the link below. Hope it's of help to some of you, but to the rest - go easy on the criticism! We know we took too many rests!
    http://marmotte11.blogspot.com/2011/07/la-marmotte-2011.html
    We are firmly in the amateur category and are well aware of it. We stayed out of everyone else's way, took loads of photos and thoroughly enjoyed the day out.
    Hope you have as much fun as we did.
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    airg wrote:
    I wrote up our experience of the day at the link below. Hope it's of help to some of you, but to the rest - go easy on the criticism! We know we took too many rests!
    We are firmly in the amateur category and are well aware of it. We stayed out of everyone else's way, took loads of photos and thoroughly enjoyed the day out.

Great write up!! That's what it's all about - having fun. 1h30 up the alpe at the end of The Marmotte is not to be sniffed at! We probably shouted allez at you from the terrace at Smithy's bar.
  • maddog 2
    Just watch a bike race on the telly

You've not been listening to Phil Liggett have you...? :wink:
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    Just watch a bike race on the telly

You've not been listening to Phil Liggett have you...? :wink:

Good point! I should have pointed out that all cycling coverage must be watched with the volume down or in french :D
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    airg wrote:

I really enjoyed your write up, it brought back fond memories of my 2009 & 2010 marmottes. I liked the bit about the old guy shouting "bon courage" - it reminds me of when half way up the Alpe in 30C plus temeperatures an old couple passed me in a clapped out citreon shouting encouragement. As I approached one of the hairpins they had stopped their car, opened the boot and were handing out icy cold bottles of water to all the cyclists passing them........................it was the best bottle of water I have ever had!!!
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    airg wrote:

Great write up.

I had actually forgotten about the train tracks near St Martin. I must have been just behind you as I saw the girl who had fallen sitting at the side of the road. It is something that doesnt get mentioned, but the fact that the tracks are at such an angle and if you are in a pack, I imagine it is easy to take a tumble.

There are lots of great stories around about the Marmotte. All different in detail, but all the same in tone. :wink:
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Nice write up. That shot looking up the road on the Galibier: I wasn't in great shape at that point; worst part of the day.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • So those that have done this before, my number has arrived and I am 6927 and the guy I have entered with and we are looking to work together is 7397, do you think we will fall into the same start group (I imagine the last ?)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • rongob
    rongob Posts: 9
    The simple answer is yes..
  • What (if any) sportives have folk signed up for ?
  • I've signed up for the Cheshire Cat. It's a good ride but not that hilly.
    It's all good preparation for the Marmotte.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Le terrier and planning on Leicestershire Super Tour - going to do a few audaxes too but mainly just going to alternate a local 70 mile hilly group training ride one weekend with a longer steadier ride the next other than weekends when I'm racing. Basically my normal training but with more longer weekend rides than I'd otherwise do. Last year I got in a century ride after work one evening - OK I finished early and got back about 10pm but it's possible so might do a couple of them too.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    What (if any) sportives have folk signed up for ?

have signed up for dragon ride wales, read mixed reviews, but if I can handle the 130 miles and 3,000m of climbing in a reasonable time, I should be able to do the marmotte I reckons...

(still bricking it)
  • I am running compact campag 10 speed and am trying to decide between fitting a 13-29 (veloce) or a 12-27 (miche primato) cassette. I currently have 13-26 and rarely use the 13t in the UK, certainly less than the 26.
    Although I have never ridden in the alps I am a reasonable climber (70-75kg) albeit not much of a grinder.
    I am leaning towards the 13-29 but wondering whether a top gear of 50/13 is going to leave me seriously short on descending speed.

Is a 12t advised for the marmotte?
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    I would go for the 29, but then I'm a big lad and needed it on the Marmotte.

I reckon on the Marmotte you wont lose too much time by not having the 12, you'll be spending a lot more of your time climbing than descending. That could translate into a shortish time cursing the lack of a 12 compared to a long time cursing the lack of a 29!

As a light lad you could always stop at the top of the climbs and load up a few kgs of rocks into your pockets to hurry you along on the way down. :D
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    II suppose it depends on how good you are at climbing. A strong climber should be OK with 36*27 - a guy I know always does it on 39*25 but he's a first cat road racer and climbing is his strength - getting round the Marmotte just about in the top 100. I used a 36*28 and it was OK but would have used a lower gear at the top of the Galibier and on the Alpe if I had had it.

Then again a strong rider coming off the Galibier might find themselves undergeared trying to stay with a group - and being in a group off the Galibier could make a fair bit of difference. If you are caning it round UK sportives always getting gold standards or are in the points in hilly road races maybe take the 27 - otherwise probably play safe with the 29 would be my call.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.