Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• SOGA I would guess also suggest that an item has to be fit for purpose and clearly this is not, I did make noises about my money back, but not really forcefully as the store manager was not there (the one who promised they would open the BB30 and grease it at the PDI) and the fact it had my BB7's on there and GP 4 Seasons.

If I recall correctly if I accept the first repair my rights for refund on like for like replacement go out the window?

Seemed as much agro to take these and the guards off and refit originals than waiting til Thursday. I will lean on the store manager over the phone tomorrow.

Did you get a reply from the CEO, will copy him on the email to CB Bikes if you did.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If they replace it and it dies again then you get into fit for purpose territory and could demand a refund. Give them a chance to fix it. New bearings, fitted properly should sort it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    If they replace it and it dies again then you get into fit for purpose territory and could demand a refund. Give them a chance to fix it. New bearings, fitted properly should sort it.
    Yeah I know, but can't face not cycling this week, and really do not want to break out my nice and clean and freshly serviced "best bike" lol I just think 4 days is not reasonable, but I am feeling pretty unreasonable TBF.

Does anyone know if the CX BB30 is any different to the other CB bikes? the BH manager insuinuated that the CX BB30 was unique which I thought was BS but was not confident enough to challenge it
  • Yes - I got a reply from one of the CEO's assistants.

My understanding is that a repair has to be done in a reasonable time and without causing inconvenience. Being without your commuting bike seems pretty inconvenient. I'm also not sure that it's reasonable that it takes them 4 days to get parts - they a very generic after all. I'm also not at all sure you have to accept a repair so early in the life of a product. Given how many of these bikes have failed, it would be pretty easy to argue that they aren't fit for purpose as-sold.

Still, they are planning to repair it but I'd certainly make a complaint to Halfords knowing how many failures there have been. I never got a response from Boardman when I emailed them.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited December 2011

Does anyone know if the CX BB30 is any different to the other CB bikes? the BH manager insuinuated that the CX BB30 was unique which I thought was BS but was not confident enough to challenge it

My understanding is that BB30 is BB30 - it's just a standard - should all be exactly the same
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67LN4So7kAQ

Mine is even louder than this one lol, looking around I have seen some reports of other makes with the same problem, also that Halfords should replace with a SRAM and the original is a FSA. If this is the case are margins really that tight that for the sake of £20 they would rather have unhappy customers, the company that supplied these to CB Bikes surely have refunded and even compensated for the faulty item? Or is it how they have been put together at the CB factory?
  • Anybody know which rear hanger the CX uses? Busted mine in an "off" this morning
  • bails87
    Anybody know which rear hanger the CX uses? Busted mine in an "off" this morning

Time to take a trip to your favourite store.....

I got given a couple of Boardman MTB hangers for free by my Halfords, they went when I sold that frame though.

Hope there's no other damage to you or the bike.
    MTB/CX

• Remembered to look at the toe overlap issue discussed here on mine this morning. I keep forgetting to look...but that's because I don't have any. I'm a size 9 and I have just over 1cm clearance between the front of my shoe and the mudguard.

Maybe it's because I run a 25mm Durano on the front and I took quite a bit of time fitting the mudguards for that close fitting 'stealth' look.
  • bails87
    Remembered to look at the toe overlap issue discussed here on mine this morning. I keep forgetting to look...but that's because I don't have any. I'm a size 9 and I have just over 1cm clearance between the front of my shoe and the mudguard.

Maybe it's because I run a 25mm Durano on the front and I took quite a bit of time fitting the mudguards for that close fitting 'stealth' look.

I've got 25mm tyres on there now, but the guards are set up for the 35mm marathon winters. Maybe the rest of us have got our forks on backwards! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• Anybody know which rear hanger the CX uses? Busted mine in an "off" this morning
    Darn hope it wasn't a bad fall, I think it is the long cage SRAM.
  • Remembered to look at the toe overlap issue discussed here on mine this morning. I keep forgetting to look...but that's because I don't have any. I'm a size 9 and I have just over 1cm clearance between the front of my shoe and the mudguard.

Really, thats quite strange lol.

I think it was your pics of guards I was admiring over the weekend where did you get the extending washer from?
  • bails87
    No, he means the bit of silver aluminium, in between the rear mech and the frame. You're talking about the rear mech cage.

But they come in a million different shapes: kona-rear-mech-hanger.jpg
    MTB/CX

• I think it was your pics of guards I was admiring over the weekend where did you get the extending washer from?

It was out of my big box of bits that I have accumulated over the years by keeping every spare nut bolt and washer that comes with anything I ever buy! It could have come from a bike, but then again could be part of a washing machine, an LCD TV or a Ford Fiesta! I don't think so but will check to see if I have another the same, if I do I will send it to you for Christmas :D
  • Darn hope it wasn't a bad fall,

Ta - I was fine - see the "Highs and Lows" thread. It was so icy that I skated about 10 feet on my backside and elbow on tarmac and yet there's absolutely no damage to my tights or jacket.
  • God I hate Halfords!

They won't order the hanger unless I go in and pay for it first.
  • Got my LOC last night. Contacted Halfords to instruct them to build the cx and not to forget the BB issue. So, should be picking it up tonight! Can't wait! :D
  • God I hate Halfords!

They won't order the hanger unless I go in and pay for it first.

14 day delivery - £14.50.

I will attempt to identify it once I've got it.
  • bails87
    Hmm, I was told £24.99 for my MTB hanger, they gave it me for free in the end though.
    MTB/CX

• What is so special about the hangers? Is it a special material? Can they be bought anywhere else? I work for a company that could make them if there was enough interest.
  • bails87
    Nope. It's just a lump of alu. BETD do them cheaper.
    MTB/CX

• Hi, Question for Meanred and Bails87,

Did you swap to 105 purely because that is the groupset on your other bikes or what there an issue with the Apex groupset ?

I ask as i would be coming the other way :) I have Apex on my road bike and really like it, hence the interest in the Boardman.

Thanks

Ian
  • bails87
    I switched purely because I prefer the feel of the 105, and I'm used to it.

When you think you're on 105 and go to change gear when you're actually on Apex, you end up slamming the brakes on, which is....interesting! :shock:

However, when I swapped, I found the lever feel for the brakes was firmer, I have no idea why (I also changed cables, so it could be something to do with that).
    MTB/CX

• Hmm, that's one of the reasons I'm interested in the boardman, the same gear change process. I'm not keen on Shimano moving brake levers and prefer the seperate change of the Apex. Personal choice of course.

if not a boardman then an Planet X but discs are a big selling point.

Thanks for your feedback.
  • bails87
    Just seen the forecast for Friday, it might be time to put the W***ers* on....

*As MRS likes to call them :wink:
    MTB/CX

• I'm with Bails on the 105 - altogether more subtle and smooth change, better brake levers and no "autopilot" gearchange braking!

I'm on the Cube Reaction Race tomorrow on the Ice Spikers as Halfords spares service is rubbish. My advice will be to order a hanger as a spare once I've worked out if it can be sourced elsewhere.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Does anyone find the shifting at the levers heavy? Moving the double tap lever to the left feels quite stiff, it all works ok though. I have Apex on my road Boardman, the difference is that the shifters are Rival and the gear cables run exposed for most of the length, the CX gear cables are enclosed all the way. Do you think that the outers are compressing a bit?
  • tincaman wrote:
    Does anyone find the shifting at the levers heavy? Moving the double tap lever to the left feels quite stiff, it all works ok though. I have Apex on my road Boardman, the difference is that the shifters are Rival and the gear cables run exposed for most of the length, the CX gear cables are enclosed all the way. Do you think that the outers are compressing a bit?

Find (found) them heavy but swapping to 105 solved that so I don't think the cable routing is the issue. The springs at the mechs seemed very heavy
  • Well I've just had a call from my local Halfords saying that there are no hangers in stock at their warehouse and it will be "sometime in January" before they get one!

I'm really going to struggle to recommend the Boardman to anyone from now on over, say, the Focus Mares 4.0 disc. The BB issues and now this parts supply means that there's enough issues to say try something else.
  • bails87
    Well I've just had a call from my local Halfords saying that there are no hangers in stock at their warehouse and it will be "sometime in January" before they get one!

I'm really going to struggle to recommend the Boardman to anyone from now on over, say, the Focus Mares 4.0 disc. The BB issues and now this parts supply means that there's enough issues to say try something else.

That's ridiculous, can you get in touch with Boardman themselves and ask them to tell you the part number so you can order it from somewhere else.

That or wave the SOGA at them and get them to take one off a boxed bike?
    MTB/CX