Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• [img]Http://www.alfa.me.uk/images/Boardman.jpg[/img]

Not very exciting - but here it is with full 105 installed
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited November 2011
    Like you say, it's not very different to look at, but I'm sure it'll be nicer with the 105. Did you notice any difference in the braking with the new levers?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I haven't really ridden it enough yet but I think, like you, the brake levers are far more positive. it does feel altogether better and more subtle. I think I'll prefer the closer ratios - especially on the Gators which have a 12-25 cassette. The Winters have the 11-28
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Rode in this morning and, apart from the 30+mph winds, it felt really good. The 105 brake levers are much more positive - I liked the set-up more in general
  • My CX is just over 6 months old this week. 3,500 miles so far and to be honest I'm liking it more every day. No issues at all except the minor ones I've mentioned earlier in this thread. Just checked the chain and I'm just on the 0.75% wear so just about to order a replacement.
  • bails87
    Mine's more like 6 weeks old, but I agree, I like it more each day as I get used to it and everything beds in. My Ribble fetl strangely 'spindly' when I went back to it the other week.

Has anyone weighed their wheels BTW? I'd be interested in how much weight could be saved by swapping to some wheels built around Mavic TN317 rims (29er/700c, 17mm internal width). I reckon the current wheels are more than 17mm wide, but CBA to take off the tyre and tube to measure :P Anyone done it?
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    Mine's more like 6 weeks old, but I agree, I like it more each day as I get used to it and everything beds in. My Ribble fetl strangely 'spindly' when I went back to it the other week.

Has anyone weighed their wheels BTW? I'd be interested in how much weight could be saved by swapping to some wheels built around Mavic TN317 rims (29er/700c, 17mm internal width). I reckon the current wheels are more than 17mm wide, but CBA to take off the tyre and tube to measure :P Anyone done it?

Err - yes, but I don't remember the number. What I do remember is on the Sheldon Brown chart they were just about good for 25C tyres. I know my new wheels are 1mm wider (hence putting the 35c Marathons on there). I think the Boardman wheels are actually marked...
  • The Boardman's Ritchey Pros are 622-18 wheels.

Swapped to the spare wheels and Marthon Winters on Friday - all good and simple switch. The Marathons are hard work but grip incredibly well on the black ice.
  • I became a victim of the toe over hang! I have had a couple of close shaves, mostly turning from stationary. Yesterday I stopped in a line of traffic and let my wheel rest turned to the right, left leg clipped in pulled off wheel straightend and got my clipped in foot stuck on the guard looked down and toppled over to the cliped in side! Didn't hurt myself but caused a fair bit of embarrasment!
  • I became a victim of the toe over hang! I have had a couple of close shaves, mostly turning from stationary. Yesterday I stopped in a line of traffic and let my wheel rest turned to the right, left leg clipped in pulled off wheel straightend and got my clipped in foot stuck on the guard looked down and toppled over to the cliped in side! Didn't hurt myself but caused a fair bit of embarrasment!

I've been close a couple of times - especially when test-riding the bike without clips and doing tight turns in my road. Mudguards don't help. Is this a function of the greater ground clearance at the crank meaning that the crank is nearer to the centreline of the two wheels?
  • Hmm - difficult choice tomorrow morning. Should I take the CX with Marathon Winters or the MTB with the Ice Spikers? We've had yet more snow tonight and there's a good possibility that it will have all frozen hard by the morning (it's very wet and slushy right now). I'm not sure I fancy the CX on heavily rutted ice - the MTB I think will make a much better job of it - albeit slower overall. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear in the morning.
  • I always assumed with the longer stem it had a shorter wheelbase, but you are right it could be the higher clearance.

Its a right pain now sitting in the middle of busy roads waiting for right turns make me edgy now lol, concentrate!
  • Its a right pain now sitting in the middle of busy roads waiting for right turns make me edgy now lol, concentrate!

I've never noticed this problem to be honest. Are you sure you haven't got your cleats fitted to your heels?
  • Its a right pain now sitting in the middle of busy roads waiting for right turns make me edgy now lol, concentrate!

I've never noticed this problem to be honest. Are you sure you haven't got your cleats fitted to your heels?

I was blessed with size 9 feet :D

The problem I have is that many rides ago when I first went clippless I decided to always unclip my right foot when stopping so I wouldn't forget, it worked in as far as I never had clippless moment but now turning tight with my left leg clipped at 1 o'clock by the time I am starting off turning my left leg is 3 oclock and hits or could jam (like tuesday) against the tyre/mudguard. It is a common problem on all CX bikes :| Only me using me left leg makes its slightly worse as most right turns involve stopping. Where as left turns are done at speed and mostly not pedaling or turning as hard due to speed.

Of course it could just be you have size 3 feet :mrgreen:
  • bails87
    Yep, I must be blessed with big feet too :wink:

I've got used to it now, but there's definitely an 'overlap' problem compared to the Ribble.
    MTB/CX

• Hi, I'm about to purchase a Team CX via CTW. I have a team carbon in large which fits me really well. I want to use the cx for commuting, everyday riding and the occasional offroad trail - mild stuff. What would you guys suggest I get. Large as per the TC or a medium because of the offroad bit. I am going to try a medium tomorrow to see for myself but just wanted some educated opinions.
  • I think I'd get the bike that fits you for the majority of your riding. If you find it a bit of a stretch for the off-road stuff, a shorter stem would sort it out.
  • From what I can see the top tube length is about the same. It's the top tube height I was more concerned about! :lol:
  • I assume that if my bike sounds like metalic popcorn popping when I turn the pedals slowly it is bad news? 850 miles, I asked them to check the the BB and they said they had and greased lying gits
  • bails87
    Greasing won't really help if the bearings have been put in wrong in the first place. Spunds like it's knackered.
    MTB/CX

• Yup - dead bearings. I keep saying it but I simply can't see how the bearings can be greased after manufacture. When they fix it, ask to see the bearings. It's a 30m job at most to replace - no reason they can't do it while you wait.
  • With the lack of trust in Halfords I looked around for parts and tools and came across this on the BB30 Park tool site

Figure 1. BBT-30.3 set

The BB30 is a threadless bottom bracket shell system using two pressed cartridge bearings. These bearings are replaced when they wear out. However, it is possible to lift the bearing seal while the cartridge bearings are in the shell to clean and grease bearings inside.

So it does look like you can clean and grease them. Although the racket mine are making they are beyond repair and that is where the trust issue with Halfords comes in..
  • I've just heckled what I was taught on my 3-day bearing mounting and maintenance course at SKF too many years go to think about. They basically say don't even try to remove and replace the seals to lubricate the bearings. Given the price of a pair of bearings, I can't see why you'd even want to try except in an emergency...
  • Was looking at the CX but the price seems to have gone up to £999 on the halfords website. Still good value I guess but not as good as it was :(
  • iandennis wrote:
    Was looking at the CX but the price seems to have gone up to £999 on the halfords website. Still good value I guess but not as good as it was :(

As someone pointed out, it's likely to come down again to the old price in the "sales".
  • As someone pointed out, it's likely to come down again to the old price in the "sales".

Ok, fingers crossed ;)

I've been looking at other Cyclocross bikes such as the crux and the Tifosi but the CX looks pretty good. I already have Apex on my road bike so having it on another bike would be attractive (though I notice some have converted to 105?)

thanks
  • Yup - I converted to 105 - which I have on my other bikes and prefer. You might also look at the Focus Mares disc bikes. Trouble is I think you can only collect in store - must be some licensing issue (possibly between Focus and Wiggle).

Remember to get the British Cycling and NUS discounts if you buy a Boardman - you can save yourself nearly £200 apparently.
  • well despite me getting pretty agitated I had to leave my bike there until Thursday... pished off to say the least.

Anyone got any decent contact details for Boardman or Halfords, I have done (checked my garmin) 550 mile on it since 06/11/11 and for the BB to have failed is bad enough but to wait 4 days for them to be bothered to fix it is really taking the mick, apparantly the do not carry any BB30 stock and it is two to three days from the warehouse.
  • well despite me getting pretty agitated I had to leave my bike there until Thursday... pished off to say the least.

Anyone got any decent contact details for Boardman or Halfords, I have done (checked my garmin) 550 mile on it since 06/11/11 and for the BB to have failed is bad enough but to wait 4 days for them to be bothered to fix it is really taking the mick, apparantly the do not carry any BB30 stock and it is two to three days from the warehouse.

Holy fork - 4 days! I'd have threatened to ask for my money back I think. Anyhow, I tried their customer services but they are rubbish - I wrote to their CEO in the end. The address is on their website under the investor section
  • bails87
    SOGA says they have to sort it in a reasonable time, 4 days would be reasonable if they don't have the part in store.
    MTB/CX