Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• Went for aluminium Pro Lite bars at £29 (half price) as saving a few grammes here & there is hardly worth it on the CX.

Bails87, did you run new cables? I'm wondering if I should go for maximum frost protection but not sure what that looks like yet (Gore Ride-On?).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Nope, I replaced the rear brake and gear inners. The others were long enough that when I snipped the end caps and frayed ends off they still reached the mech/caliper.

I've never had a problem with shifting despite the worst winter mud when using standard shimano inner and outer cables on the MTB, so I'll just leave the jagwire stuff on there, not sure if the standard cables are stainless but the two I replaced are.

I've now retaped my bars (IMO I did quite a good job of it, considering it was my first attempt :D ) and I followed the tip from around 2:00 in this video. That might explain why the brakes were spongy before, but I've been out for a ride on it and they're definitely much better with the 105 levers on. A shorter throw and a much firmer bite once the pads grab the disc.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87
    DSC01311.jpg
    DSC01313.jpg
    Yellow Boardman!
    MTB/CX

• Nice!

Saddle not adjusted properly, surely?
  • bails87
    I actually use the carbon seatpost and Romin saddle from the Ribble. But that was back in the Ribble so I just grabbed the Boardman one that was lying around for the test ride around the block. That said, the saddle was fine, the bike'son a bit of a slope so it's not as nose down as it looks.
    MTB/CX

• RolfH
    RolfH Posts: 39
    Really love the look of this bike. Having read the reviews of it, would this be a good bike to use as a main commuter/everyday bike, and upgraded where needed? Is it worth the Halfords hassle?
  • RolfH wrote:
    Really love the look of this bike. Having read the reviews of it, would this be a good bike to use as a main commuter/everyday bike, and upgraded where needed? Is it worth the Halfords hassle?

It's almost the prefect main commuter/ everyday bike to my mind - pretty quick but rugged and practical. Get over the Halfords bit as quick as you can and just be sure that they check the BB bearings.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87 wrote:
    I actually use the carbon seatpost and Romin saddle from the Ribble. But that was back in the Ribble so I just grabbed the Boardman one that was lying around for the test ride around the block. That said, the saddle was fine, the bike'son a bit of a slope so it's not as nose down as it looks.

Looks great - love the yellow tape - I chose boring black.

Why are factory-built 700c disc wheels so hard to find?
  • bails87
    edited November 2011
    Rolfh: yes. None of the changes I've made, other than tyres, were 'needed'. Just make sure the BB is sorted.

MRS: Thanks, I'm pleased with it. For wheels, would 29er mtb wheels work? Don't know how much wider they are than the CX ones.
    MTB/CX

• RolfH
    RolfH Posts: 39
    Quick question, but if my halfords don't have one in stock should they order it for you? Or is it a case of order for home delivery?
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    the yellow really picks the bike up.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • bails87 wrote:
    For wheels, would 29er mtb wheels work? Don't know how much wider they are than the CX ones.

Even 29er wheels are rare and, maybe as a result, disproportionately expensive. None of the wheels that are supplied with the more common CXers (Boardman, Croix de Fer etc) are available - makes no sense to me as they must be churning them out in volume.
  • RolfH wrote:
    Quick question, but if my halfords don't have one in stock should they order it for you? Or is it a case of order for home delivery?

You can order on line for in-store collection I believe. Home delivery might be the better option though. Remember the NUS discount code and the British Cycling membership discount - something like £180 to be saved
  • 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    RolfH wrote:

It's almost the prefect main commuter/ everyday bike to my mind - pretty quick but rugged and practical. Get over the Halfords bit as quick as you can and just be sure that they check the BB bearings.

Echo that. I'm currently working in a pretty rural part of the Cotswolds and I brought mine with me for recreation, but I'm using it for my commute. Rough country lanes, the mean city streets of err Stroud, it's fantastic. I thought I'd end up going home and getting my hardtail, but the CX is far better.
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • The CX is a great do it all bike, I run 28mm 4 Seasons for commuting and switch the tyres for more rugged riding.

I swapped the BB5 brakes for BB7 and they are a real improvement, just easier to set up and stay set up cost me £100 and will see what I can get on eBay for the BB5. (note you can buy the cheaper 140mm rotor REAR calipers they fit front and back no problem) and took me 40 minutes to fit and set up and within 100 miles were bedded in and spinning freely.

Regarding Halfords I had the choice of four stores within 20 miles, I phoned and visited all 4 and settled on the one I felt the most confident with the Question you have to ask is "Are you going to check the BB30 and re-grease it?"

I am not really keen on the 11-32 rear cassette and will in the future swap it for 12-28 or similar.

It is a do it all and master of none but is perfect for using in the winter and doing trails at the weekend.

I have got used to the SRAM and it works nicely, not as good as 105 but you get used to it.
  • Has anyone flipped the stem on theirs?
  • Has anyone flipped the stem on theirs?

I assume that would put it in the higher position? Whatever position mine's in, it's quite a relaxed set up so have no plans to change it.

Even I'm not sure about the 32 cassette. I was happy with it until I jumped on the Variado with its 12-25 and rather liked the closeness of the ratios. I like the 11-28 I have on my Cayo - more for the 11 than the 28. Did I read that the latest Tiagra is going to have a 30?
  • I just feel a little stretched on the hoods, rather than turn the bar up a little thought about flipping the stem.

Spoke to someone today about fitting a SRAM Apex 12-28 and it seems just shorten the chain a little. My Roubaix just had a full strip down and service, and the mobile mech identifed my favourite gears as they were the most worn, low and behold they were the ones that the 11-32 jumps two at a time. Anyway I did my whole commute on the top front last night so no way do I need the 32, and it might make me lazy so its getting binned shortly!

Anyone reading, its just me being picky, spent a long time on my other bike and just getting this one set up right, the CX is a great do it all bike.
  • Found some wheels at Parkers of Bolton - only downside is that they are for Schrader valves - but the 35c tyres will be fine.

Tried to match the hubs Boardman have used and get some wheels built but finding the matching hubs (Formula Disc E92-1 on the front) has proved almost impossible.
  • My bike is due for its 6 week first service soon, should I remind them to grease the BB again?
  • Personally, I'd say no. If they've checked it only 6 weeks ago, I think there's more risk than benefit. It really depends upon how competent you believe they are.
  • BTW - I still can't actually see how they would grease these bearings. They should be sealed-for-life bearings and either be greased or not greased. Once assembled at the bearing factory, I can't see how they can grease it.

See http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-bb30-chrome ... l_Bearings
  • hey all - don't have a road bike to compare to, so was looking for advice on a Large CX Comp and if it would fit my 193cm frame (87cm inseam) or if i'm just too damn big for it. I'd prefer an XL, but Wiggle only has the L so i'm stuck for ideas. cheers!
  • hey all - don't have a road bike to compare to, so was looking for advice on a Large CX Comp and if it would fit my 193cm frame (87cm inseam) or if i'm just too damn big for it. I'd prefer an XL, but Wiggle only has the L so i'm stuck for ideas. cheers!
  • bails87
    I'm sure you could make the L fit.

I've got a M with a similar inseam, but I'm quite a bit shorter, at a few mm short of 6 ft/183cm.
    MTB/CX

• balls87, cheers - that's what i've been thinking/reading/hoping, but with the TT at 570 i was afraid that for my height it was gonna be a no-go - and i don't want to resort to a strict Road ride. i like tramping in the bush too much.
  • sorry, bails. not balls. my eyes are shite. thanks again.
  • Well, I had an epic bike building session focused mostly on the Boardman

Swapped to 105 Shimano shifters, cassette and derailleurs. Changed the bars and installed the spare wheels - fitting them with the Marathon Winters. It was a little more involved than I'd hoped - brake cables needed a bit of juggling. The supplied rear derailleur was the medium size so needed to swap with the Cayo's large cage. Also it seems I'm missing a spacer for the supplied cassette. But I'm happy with the result. Need to get out on it tomorrow and tune it all up after a fun MTB race in the morning.

Needed to swap tyres on my son's IslaBike for the race too. Had to build up the Thule bike rack too, clean the Variado and put the Gatorskins on the original Boardman wheels. 7 hours straight.
  • bails87
    What wheels did you get?
    MTB/CX

• Got them from Parkers of Bolton (saw them on eBay originally) - think they are built by Wilkinsons Wheels. They are a Deore hub with 19c rims (ok for the Marathon Winters) with Schrader valve drillings. £117 the pair so reasonable. The good news is that they seem to match the OEM hubs so no messing about with brakes between wheels.