Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• After a dry and warm(ish) week, I took the Focus Cayo for the first time in a month or two this morning. It was interesting to draw the comparisons in the other direction now I'm used to the Boardman. The most noteable differences were:

1. The shifting. The 105 shifting is soooo light compared to the Apex on the Boardman. I much prefer it. The hoods on the 105 are far more comfortable too.
    2. The brakes. You quickly get used to the braking power of the Boardman but it's not until you go back to rim brakes do you get reminded just how good the discs are. I found I was going a lot slower at certain points in my ride just because I needed to be sure I could stop.

Even with a 15mph wind right on the nose, I was 0.5mph faster on the Cayo than my best time on the Boardman (and about 1-1.5mph better than average) in all the time that I've had it (must be close to 800-1000 miles now). Anybody that tells you that the bike doesn't make much difference to your speed is simply wrong. Still love the Boardman. I'm tempted to swap it to 105 as some point though it's not a big deal - and I would dump the cross levers at the same time.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Interesting stuff; may I enquire as to how the BB30 is at present? I'm considering getting either a Boardman CX or an Alfine-geared bike as a winter commuter, and the tales of the BB30 are swaying me to the latter.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm tempted to take the 105 off the ribble and put it on my CX tbh. The only issue is dealing with the bigger cassette. 105 is so much nicer though. I suppose it comes down to having a middle ground year round commuter, or specific summer and winter ones, seeing as commuting is the only road riding I do I've no need for a proper 'best' bike.

And my BB seems to be fine now.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DrLex wrote:
    Interesting stuff; may I enquire as to how the BB30 is at present? I'm considering getting either a Boardman CX or an Alfine-geared bike as a winter commuter, and the tales of the BB30 are swaying me to the latter.

BB30 seems to be fine - no noise at all. I'm guessing that, given it failed before after only 13 miles, 800+ miles down the road I can consider it fixed.

The only issue, that I've mentioned before, is the ongoing fight I'm having with the front shifting. I simply don't understand why it's so random but I've not taken a really close look at it to find out what's not right and will do so at the weekend.

I'd like to replicate the whole handlebar set-up I have on the Cayo. The PO fitted carbon bars and they are so comfortable in any riding position.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    bails87 wrote:
    I'm tempted to take the 105 off the ribble and put it on my CX tbh. The only issue is dealing with the bigger cassette. 105 is so much nicer though. I suppose it comes down to having a middle ground year round commuter, or specific summer and winter ones, seeing as commuting is the only road riding I do I've no need for a proper 'best' bike.

And my BB seems to be fine now.

Do you really need such a tiny gear on your commuter? When I was doing Cannock to Brum and back the smallest I had was 36/25 and didn't use that often (if at all).

With the new Tiagra 10sp cassettes you can get 12-28 on the back for £20 if you need lower than 34/25
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Doouble post
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bails87
    prawny wrote:

Do you really need such a tiny gear on your commuter? When I was doing Cannock to Brum and back the smallest I had was 36/25 and didn't use that often (if at all).

With the new Tiagra 10sp cassettes you can get 12-28 on the back for £20 if you need lower than 34/25

No, I suppose not. The Ribble has a compact with an 11-25 on the back, so the low gear on that is 34/25, which was never a problem. I might take it back out next week, just to try to figure out if I really want to keep it.
    MTB/CX

• I confess I only managed an 8 miler on Sunday test run and two days commuting so CX I have done 67 miles on it. The wind has been a bit of mare, but the CX running the stock tyre knocked my legs out both mentally and physically! Wiggle have not perfomed at theri normal level so waitng on the tyres still!

Rode the Roubaix and like meanred the 105 was soooo silky smooth on changes and so easy, so easy on the first few shifts I could have broken the shifter using to much force! And no doubt I would say the effort involved in getting the bikes up to running speed were not much difference BUT maintaining the pace was much easier on the Roubaix. Hopefully to large extent the tyres will improve this, don't ever expect it to be the same as they are pretty different bikes.

I had pretty much decided to switch out the BB5, but looking around a lot are out of stock and those that do have it I am looking at £140ish for the pair inc P & P. Evans have a pair of road BB7 but are advertising a 140mm rotor, will the BB7 units still be the same and work with the 160mm rotor on the CX?
  • bails87
    The caliper should be a standard unit, it's the adaptors between frame/fork and caliper that determine the rotor size.
    MTB/CX

• Judging by the forecast up here for next week, the Marathon W***ers will be going on the CX at the weekend (sorry about that, legs). Looks like plenty of sub-zero temps :roll: Still, as a colleague said to me last week: There's no such thing as the wrong weather - just the wrong gear... :lol:
  • I bought two BB7 with 140mm discs from Evans price matched to CR @ £50 each fitted and a lot better spin, still a little rub to get good braking but I would guess the pads are going to take a few hundred miles to get grippy and then I can back them off for rub free. Either way they do spin now! Now to eBay my BB5 guess I should advertise them as rears as they only come with 140mm rotors. Both boxes were clearly marked as Road Rear too.

GP 4 Seasons fitted 28mm they look like full on race tyres compared to the stock one lol, rolls very nicely. So the CX will be back on commuting duty tomorrow.

What mudguards do you you all have fitted? Mine look okay but due to the massive clearance over the tyre they sit a fair way off, looked around to see if there is a simple extender and cannot find one. Will still keep me dry but looks a bit naff.

Best bike is getting a full strip down and rebuild on Sat, and will go away for the winter!
  • I'm running Chromoplastics in 45mm over my 35c Marathon Winters I've just put on.
  • I'm running Chromoplastics in 45mm over my 35c Marathon Winters I've just put on.
    Wow you expecting snow or ice this week already up there? Good training for then! 45mm did you use them with the 25mm Gatorskin too~?
  • I'm afraid it's going to drop to -2C or so according to the forecast... By this time last year we'd had heavy snow

I have been using the 45mm though I also have some 35mm Chromo's for when ice is not likely.
  • bails87
    I've got wider guards than needed for my 25mms, so they fit properly when/if I put 35mm tyres on. Didn't see any point in buying two sets.

I have, however, just ordered a new cassette, rear mech, 105 shifters (£135 at Merlin) and new bars to match the Ribble. I had to do my car insurance today so thought I may as well make it a round £1k :(
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    I've got wider guards than needed for my 25mms, so they fit properly when/if I put 35mm tyres on. Didn't see any point in buying two sets.

I have, however, just ordered a new cassette, rear mech, 105 shifters (£135 at Merlin) and new bars to match the Ribble. I had to do my car insurance today so thought I may as well make it a round £1k :(

TBH - I made the schoolboy error of thinking that 35mm guards would fit 35mm tyres (there's a certain simple logic to it) - all all was well whilst I was on my Gators.

I was tempted by the 105 Groupset Merlin have on offer. What I can't use on the Boardman I'll use on the Cayo - but it seemed a little extravagant - especially as it's about the same price as I paid for my Focus Variado which came fitted with 105
  • So what rear gears do you have I am fairly confident I have http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/ ... 0-cassette BUT Halfords do not list one (sure they did?) Boardman website says Shimano CS5700 http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html So can I straight swap to the road 105?
  • I'm sure I have the 11-32 SRAM.
  • bails87
    My big cog on the back is definitely 32.

I've got a 28-12 cassette to go with my new Tiagra mech.
    MTB/CX

• I'm sure I have the 11-32 SRAM.

+1
  • Quite strange must have been a change in spec half way through the selling cycle. http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/reviews/bi ... an-cx-team Clearly states their test bike had a 105 12-25 Shimano 5700.

11-32 = 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 28 32 Current
  • Same with front mech's, think Boardman site says SRAM but Halfords shows Microshift.
  • Clearly states their test bike had a 105 12-25 Shimano 5700.

Then you look at the picture of the cassette and count the teeth on the big gear - there's no way it's a 25. I would put money on that being a 32...
  • Yeah saw that in the pic and is the same on the CB site, bit strange though! Anyone know if I dropped a 12-28 on to it would I need ot change anything else?

The BB7 bedded in and backed off they are just fantastic not a single noise from them and full on braking and 100% freewheel spin, completely changed the bike for me. Not had it in the real wet yet but will put up with a squeal or two!
  • bails87
    My 105 and Tiagra stuff arrived yesterday. I haven't actually ridden the bike because I need to put the bar tape on, but just in the stand the 105 levers feel much firmer, and bite sooner than the Apex levers did, that's still on BB5s. The Microshift front mech is ridiculously stiffly sprung though! I was going to keep it to save a few quid, but (again, just in the stand) it feels even harder to push with the 105 levers than it did with the Apex.
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    My 105 and Tiagra stuff arrived yesterday. I haven't actually ridden the bike because I need to put the bar tape on, but just in the stand the 105 levers feel much firmer, and bite sooner than the Apex levers did, that's still on BB5s. The Microshift front mech is ridiculously stiffly sprung though! I was going to keep it to save a few quid, but (again, just in the stand) it feels even harder to push with the 105 levers than it did with the Apex.

Hmm - interested in your experiences. Each time I ride my 105-equiped Variado, I'm struck by how much nicer 105 is over Apex. I'm sorely tempted by the Merlin groupset deal as I know it will pay me in the long term.
  • bails87
    Sorry, not sure if I was clear; the brakes were firmer, in a good way, but the shifts are smooth, easy and quiet on the back, the front is still clunky, but I guess that's due to the mech rather than the shifters.

I bought new bars, bar tape, shifters, cassette, rear mech and cables. That all cost me ~£200, the shifters were £135 and the rest of the stuff is Tiagra (4600, 10 speed) and was cheap at Ribble.
    MTB/CX

• I've decided on an entire groupset at £300 on the nail including next day delivery. The bits I don't use on the Boardman, I'll need for the 105-equipped road bikes sooner or later. I now just need to find out what bars are fitted to my Cayo because they are fab
  • I now just need to find out what bars are fitted to my Cayo because they are fab

err - ouch - now I know why they are fab: RRP £250! Seems like the version I have (Pro-Lite Ravenna) is no longer sold (eBay shop was selling them at £129). There's a newer version for sale at £99-£129 - trouble is, I don't know if I'll like the new version as it's quite different from the old one.

Looks like I got the Cayo at a better price that I even realised at the time.
  • bails87
    I now just need to find out what bars are fitted to my Cayo because they are fab

err - ouch - now I know why they are fab: RRP £250! Seems like the version I have (Pro-Lite Ravenna) is no longer sold (eBay shop was selling them at £129). There's a newer version for sale at £99-£129 - trouble is, I don't know if I'll like the new version as it's quite different from the old one.

Looks like I got the Cayo at a better price that I even realised at the time.

:lol: I used the same bars that are on my Ribble......£17!
    MTB/CX