Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• evo456
    evo456 Posts: 11
    Viking- have you taken the cassette off and ascertained it is indeed coming from the freehub body? I went through a similar process, grinding / marble like sounds from the rear. Checked the sound on pedalling, free-wheeling, relubed the hub checked the cones were tight enough for no play in the cassette. The free hub can be taken off using a 11mm allen key - completely non-standard, only place I found them was online. I will order one incase one day my freehub decided to play up again.....
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Had a niggle with mine this morning in that a creak was being emitted by the headset. On coming home I took apart the headset to be greeted by a very rusty steerer tube and bearings that were caked in a brown too. GT85'd it all, cleaned it and then re greased. Feels alot smoother now and no creak.
  • Viking2136
    Viking2136 Posts: 116
    Thanks Evo, I've stripped it all down and the creaking noise is still coming from the free hub - sounds like its got grit in it - I have used a power washer on it in the past!

11mm!!!!! Damn it I read elsewhere it was 12 so I've ordered a 12!!! - back to ebay
    evo456 wrote:
    Viking- have you taken the cassette off and ascertained it is indeed coming from the freehub body? I went through a similar process, grinding / marble like sounds from the rear. Checked the sound on pedalling, free-wheeling, relubed the hub checked the cones were tight enough for no play in the cassette. The free hub can be taken off using a 11mm allen key - completely non-standard, only place I found them was online. I will order one incase one day my freehub decided to play up again.....
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 - Fuji CX 1.1 - Trek Boone 7 Disc - Room for 1 more
  • evo456
    I see, earlier posts suggests that if you order a replacement freehub body from Halfords it will come with a 8mm to 11mm allen key adaptor. I'm awaiting a replacement also, I'm quite surprised if a jet wash can actually do any damage inside the hub body if you washed the rear wheel still in the frame, it has to get through the cassette locking top and then the cone/bearing race area.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    Just ordered a CX Team 2014 and picking up Thursday. Have glimpsed through this thread I see there a couple of things to check. It is an XL I am buying.
    Can anyone quickly list what I should check - and yes the Halfords 'experts' are putting the bike together.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Take the pedals straight off and check they have greased the threads, or they will sieze and be hard to get off later. One of the few assembly things they have to do, but one they dont usually do right. I think the other main thing they have to do is to straighten the handlebars and tighten them, so hold the front wheel betwen your knees and make sure you cant turn the bars. Make sure you can change up/down through the gears to ensure they have adjusted them correctly. You will find the brakes a bit poor to start with - do 15-20 hard stops to bed them in and they should start to get stronger. and - enjoy...!
  • I would check everything.

My discs needed tightening, the front brake caliper was loose, the mech hanger was half unscrewed, the BB and crank was dryer than the sahara and needed greese - the BB non drive side was notch and needs replacing after 100 miles.

:-)

Nothing a good set of allen keys couldn't sort out.
  • marcusww
    Got it and no crack in the paint, the cable placements are a mess, the headset loose and brakes set up badly.
    But took it out for a spin on and off road and it's great. So glad I got a cx rather than mtb. Loving it! But heavier than my spesh Tarmac but so much fun off road, those tyres are much more grippier than first thought. Got it at 20% discount through bc card and vouchers , a great deal
  • Cutty Dyer
    Cutty Dyer Posts: 78
    koontz wrote:
    Anyone know the band on size for the front mech on the cx team 2014 model, I think its 34.9mm but not sure thanks, have had enough of the micro one and can get on for £20.00 of ebay.

I've got a 34.9mm Ultegra that's 6 months old if you're interested. I've just changed my Boardman groupset to Campag.

Also got 105 shifters and a 105 rear mech.

Is a Shimano front mech OK for the SRAM shifter or is it only the rear mech that plays up?
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    A Shimano front mech will work fine
  • Cutty Dyer
    Excellent, thanks :D

Essex commuter, do you still want to part with that front mech?

:)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Cutty Dyer wrote:

Sorry, the front mech, rear mech and shifters sold on eBay last week :?
  • Cutty Dyer
    Thanks for that :D
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Cutty Dyer wrote:

Sorry, the front mech, rear mech and shifters sold on eBay last week :?

Which interestingly, sold for more than the price I paid for new Campag Veloce shifters, front mech & rear mech that I've now fitted!! :D
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    Anyone that has the cx team 2014 no if the chain has the link that is quick release /reusable. I can see a black link that looks like it is the master link, not sure if it is reusable though? Have tried to remove with fingers but cant get it off. Need to remove chain to 'properly' align my rear mech which is ok but not spot on. I think the chain is a kmc one.
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    Yes, it's reusable, or at least should be.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • Cutty Dyer
    Its reusable ..... If you can get the bu993r off in the first place :shock:
  • Viking2136
    Viking2136 Posts: 116
    evo456 wrote:
    I see, earlier posts suggests that if you order a replacement freehub body from Halfords it will come with a 8mm to 11mm allen key adaptor. I'm awaiting a replacement also, I'm quite surprised if a jet wash can actually do any damage inside the hub body if you washed the rear wheel still in the frame, it has to get through the cassette locking top and then the cone/bearing race area.

All done now, all cleaned out re-filled with marine grease and its as smooth as silk - no more pressure washer for me!

Complaint letter to Halfords en-route
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 - Fuji CX 1.1 - Trek Boone 7 Disc - Room for 1 more
  • upsfon
    upsfon Posts: 13
    About the seatpost of Boardman CX Pro 2013, M size...

What's the diameter? 31.6 mm?
    What's the length? 350 or 400 mm?

Thanks.
  • evo456
    Viking2136 wrote:
    evo456 wrote:

All done now, all cleaned out re-filled with marine grease and its as smooth as silk - no more pressure washer for me!

Complaint letter to Halfords en-route

Great job, did you take the freehub body internals apart? 2 weeks today and still no sign of replacement from Halfords, when I get the 11mm allen key I may just take it out myself and inspect if it is 'serviceable'.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    I ordered a new freehub for my CX at 6:15pm last Wednesday in my local Halfords, they called me at 1:30pm the next day to tell me it had arrived in store.That's good service!
  • evo456
    Now you're just showing off, would you mind sharing the part number for future reference to all who may need it in the future?
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    evo456 wrote:
    Now you're just showing off, would you mind sharing the part number for future reference to all who may need it in the future?
    If it's for a Formula hub, the part number which I used at our local Halfords was 124100.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    DaveM399 wrote:
    evo456 wrote:
    If it's for a Formula hub, the part number which I used at our local Halfords was 124100.
    That's the one I ordered
  • Looking to sell my small (I'm 5'10" and it's right for me as is) 2012 Boardman Team CX if anyone is interested. Stock, except for replaced front mech with Rival band-on and I removed the suicide levers and I've put on (properly) SKS mudguards. Let me know if anyone is interested.
  • antsmithmk
    OK,

My CX has served its time as the winter training. Am now thinking towards the CX season starting in September. I raced on my comp last year in 3 races. One of the main issues I had apart the lack of fitness was my inability to turn even the lowest gear on the 34-32 combo. Obviously I can't really go for lower gearing... Most CX chain sets run at 46-36 so no benefit in swapping. What I need to do is lose some weight off the bike in addition to getting fitter!

Options -

New seat post - any recommendations?
    New disk brakes (remove suicides) - any recommendations?
    New wheels - me thinks plenty of weight to be saved here!
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    Wheels would be my first choice, I don't do CX races but am looking at reducing the weight of my CX team 2014. The kinesis v3 wheels are around 500 grams lighter and can be had for around £250.00.
  • marcusww
    2014 CX Team - I haven't ridden a long cage mech for years. When riding in the small chain ring and the smaller cogs at the rear I notice a lot of 'give' in the mech cage - to take up the angle between front and back - is this normal? The gears seem to change OK but I have never seen a rear mech bend so much?
  • evo456
    antsmithmk wrote:
    OK,

New seat post - any recommendations?
    New disk brakes (remove suicides) - any recommendations?
    New wheels - me thinks plenty of weight to be saved here!

1. Ritchey Pro Carbon - can be had for £32
    2. BB7s or TRP hy/rd, will be a bit heavier but can offset with removal of top levers. £100/£200
    3. Kinesis CX Disc £270

:D
  • antsmithmk
    Thanks. Wiggle alert set up for the wheels