Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    Go for the small I'm about 5 9 and got the medium and it is OK but the reach I.e stem is to big. Will be buying a 80/90mm stem soon, these bikes seem quite big compared to road frames.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks for the response, and confirming what I thought. Looks like I'll be doing a build on a Kinesis Crosslight disc instead then, as those Boardmans never seem to come up often in the small flavour. Shame.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    I'm 5ft 8-9 and have a Medium. A small would also suffice as I have a short torso.
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • fret
    Viking2136 wrote:
    Struggling with the damn gears!

I've had my CX since Dec - Happy Xmas to me! Its a nice bike, ive changed the BB5 for a set of BB7s but still have to adjust most days which is annoying but the gears are killing me. I use it for commuting daily and for racing in the cross season,

Ive tried to adjust myself, make the mistake of taking it to Halfords and took it to my LBS today - all failed. Halfords said it was a bent derailleur - new one on same problem!

Basically when I'm changing up I have to push twice then on the way down I have to give it a real hard click which clicks but doesn't drop a gear then another very soft click makes it drop down very smoothly, does this on the way up sometimes too!

God this is so annoying to the point where Im debating putting it on ebay and buying a Cube CX with a 105 set and cantis's.

Any body have a soluttion before I sell my grey lady?

The cable is probably FUBAR. Nearly always the problem with gear shifts. Change both the inner and outer and it should be transformed once correctly adjusted
    Can't see why you have to adjust the brakes so often, I do mine probably once ever 3 weeks and ride 90 miles a week, One set of pads lasts around 9 months. NEVER go back to cantis, they are rubbish.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    fret wrote:
    I'm 5ft 8-9 and have a Medium. A small would also suffice as I have a short torso.

Fret, what size PX XLS did you go for by way of comparison?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Viking2136
    Viking2136 Posts: 116
    Thanks Fret, took to the LBS again today - no difference - I dont think they have have a clue in line with my Halfords boys, im going to strip the lot at the weekend and have a look at it, thanks for the canti tip - back to reality and looking to keep it and get it sorted :lol:
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 - Fuji CX 1.1 - Trek Boone 7 Disc - Room for 1 more
  • fret
    I got a medium PX XLS, it fits no problem. It has a shorter top tube as well
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Kimble
    Kimble Posts: 53
    at Viking 2136, from your description of shifting problem, it seems I had the same problem as you and I'd go with Fret's advice, it sounds like your derailleur cable is the problem. As a temporary fix I loosened the derailleur cable at the derailleur and put dry lube on the cable anywhere I could access it so it ran smoothly inside the outer. The difference in shifting was staggering! You can easily lube almost all of the cable and outer without too much full. admittedly I couldn't get to the bit of cable just behind the brake / shift lever. but was able to lube from the barrel adjustor down.

needless to say I'l be ordering a new set of cables asap. as the front is nearly as stiff but haven't got round to doing yet. does anyone know which the Jagwire kits are compatible with the frame as admittedly I don't want to shell out a lot of money on these... and will probably replace the brake cables but as these are fully sealed lines not sure where to get these for reasonable money either?

Also am replacing pads (after a year) also on BB7's was thinking about getting uberbike sintered x 4 for £23
    http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-Avid-Juicy-3-5-7-Carbon-Ultimate-BB7-Sintered-Disc-Brake-Pads . does anyone have any opinions on these? after a friend's recommendation I got 4 x their race matrix elixir on my MTB which feel pretty fantastic but not sure these would stand up to repeated commuting use or feel as good with cable actuated BB7's?? any other recommendations?

finally have a broken spoke (front), does anyone know what spoke needed and if Halfords will do under warranty (10 months, lotta miles and some races))
  • For those eagerly awaiting the Boardman CX Comp,a review has just been published. http://www.slinkystudio.info/reviews/20 ... eview.html

It seems like a nice bike, with a smooth ride. As the review sates, it really does deliver what we all thought was phenomenal value. It gives those on a budget the opportunity to buy into a high spec on and off road bike hybrid. I'm looking forward to trying one out!
  • How low is that saddle in the review though?!?!?
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    How low is that saddle in the review though?!?!?

That's how Halfords set my Team up for me, so that I could put my feet flat on the ground :lol:
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • wytco0
    wytco0 Posts: 79
    Hi I am thinking about a Boardman CX, i saw a review here for the Boardman CX pro http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/cyclo-cross/product/review-boardman-cx-pro-12-45407/ Which looks pretty good however I don't think its a current model. I am looking for the current version but I am not sure which one it is. Anyone know?
  • koontz
    Today went out on my old scwinn fastback and boy was I a lot quicker, this bike is lighter than the cx team maybe 1 kilo max and it has 23mm tyres compared to the 28mm that I put on the team, you can really tell the difference on the hills the cx team is so sluggish going up hill for me and guess what no squeaking from a bike that is 8 years old that has the same bottom bracket and chainset, but new chain and wheels.
  • fret
    Well done, have a medal.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Been out on mine tonight again, 2 hours and 55km covered. After riding the Rose round pretty aggressively over the last few weeks it was refreshing to ride in such comfort!
  • antsmithmk
    On a slightly different note.... Anyone replaced the rear mech hanger on their CX comp yet or know which one is needed?
  • These people should be able to help. I met the guy a week ago & he said he has 3000 different ones including Boardman.
    http://gearmechhanger.com
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Specialized Langster 2014
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    antsmithmk wrote:
    On a slightly different note.... Anyone replaced the rear mech hanger on their CX comp yet or know which one is needed?

There is an answer to this question somewhere in this thread. Not sure where though, so have a search!
  • antsmithmk
    I've tried that, can't seem to find the answer :-(
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    antsmithmk wrote:
    I've tried that, can't seem to find the answer :-(

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... %2FDropout

Apparently you want no. 238.
  • antsmithmk
  • I've had to adjust my CX team 2012 headset quite a lot, nearly every ride, I took it apart & found a star nut was fitted to the carbon steerer, as the only owner I find this a bit odd as I thought expander type headset adjusters were required for carbon & not star nuts. I guess the star nut was moving as it couldn't bite into the carbon like it does in a steel steerer.
    I've now bought a Deda Elementi expander bung which works great.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083QRGYQ/r ... 51_TE_dp_1
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Russvphoto wrote:
    I've had to adjust my CX team 2012 headset quite a lot, nearly every ride, I took it apart & found a star nut was fitted to the carbon steerer, as the only owner I find this a bit odd as I thought expander type headset adjusters were required for carbon & not star nuts. I guess the star nut was moving as it couldn't bite into the carbon like it does in a steel steerer.
    I've now bought a Deda Elementi expander bung which works great.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083QRGYQ/r ... 51_TE_dp_1

Get that back to Halfords and get some new forks ordered up. At no point should a star fangled nut be put into a carbon steerer.

How old is it?
  • Hi Heez29,
    Its a couple of months old although a 2012 model. I didn't take it back as I didn't trust the Halfords "mechanic" to do anything after I had to show hime how to fit a wheel on a customers bike!
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • fret
    Sale of Goods act is all you need to say. Any Halfords will do
    They MUST replace or repair, it's the law. They must also collect the bike.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • My 2012 CX team has an aluminium steerer tube? At least I thought it did? Better check tonight :D
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    My 2012 CX team has an aluminium steerer tube? At least I thought it did? Better check tonight :D

The 2014 is definitely carbon, not that it makes any difference to what the 2012 is :-)
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • koontz
    Anyone know the band on size for the front mech on the cx team 2014 model, I think its 34.9mm but not sure thanks, have had enough of the micro one and can get on for £20.00 of ebay.
  • koontz wrote:
    Anyone know the band on size for the front mech on the cx team 2014 model, I think its 34.9mm but not sure thanks, have had enough of the micro one and can get on for £20.00 of ebay.
    It is 34.9mm. I bought a Rival one off the Bay for not much and it is definitely better.
  • koontz
    Thanks, can you use shimano gear cables with these or do You need specific sram ones, halfords made a mess of my gear cables both are frayed at the ends, and cant be bothered taking it back to them will do myself.