Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    bigmul wrote:
    I'd hate to think what it weighs with everything on it!

Do you find that the weight of batteries etc offsets the improvements that the wheels have made?

No, the mass saved on the wheels is rotational and you really can feel the difference
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    rubertoe wrote:
    I like it Tincaman.

Looks like a really good commuter/Winter/Night time bike.

How do you find the Wheelset?

Wheelset is great, the feel of the bike changes, it feels more nimble, directional changes are more sharp, quicker to get up to speed.
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    I concur with that. Wheels are the best upgrade you can perform.

Today I fitted the new 1400g wheels to the Planet X to see how it rides as a road bike as I've only ridden it with CX tyres fitted.
    All I can say is get lighter wheels if you can. It's much more flighty now and just under 9kg with 28mm tyres fitted.
    With 23's it will be around 8.75kg. No lighter than th CX, but more like a road bike now.
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • Went out on the CX Team after work this afternoon to use it as it should be.
    Rode from home to Harting hill, then along the South Downs way to Queen Elizabeth park back to the road and through the floods to wash the mud off near Finchdean.
    Rode 40 km & really enjoyed myself.
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Specialized Langster 2014
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • fret
    It was rather nice out around the South Downs yesterday. I was doing the CX sportive around Duncton, but this year on the XLS. 47.5 miles in just over 4 hours. Very hard work and ironically I was overtaken by a Boardman CX :lol:
    One point the Boardman has in it's favour is the gearing. Normal CX gearing is just too high for much of the work involved (Or at least for an unfit git like me anyway). The 34/32 Wi-Fli for the CX was greatly missed on some of the hills where, quite simply, 36/28 was just too high. I am ashamed to admit that Bignor Hill beat me and as that was at the beginning of the ride I knew I was in trouble. 3 other off road hills beat me this year compared to just 1 last year, but walking was just as quick as the MTB's were going anyway.

Can't wait for it to dry out a bit now. Roll on summer.

Have you read about the Shipwrights Way, RussV? It goes from Alice Holt to Portsmouth, via basically the old A325 and A3, mainly off road and thence to Rowlands Castle and Hayling. 50 miles.
    I'm going to do that later this year, you can get a train to Bentley if needed.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • fret wrote:
    It was rather nice out around the South Downs yesterday. I was doing the CX sportive around Duncton, but this year on the XLS. 47.5 miles in just over 4 hours. Very hard work and ironically I was overtaken by a Boardman CX :lol:
    One point the Boardman has in it's favour is the gearing. Normal CX gearing is just too high for much of the work involved (Or at least for an unfit git like me anyway). The 34/32 Wi-Fli for the CX was greatly missed on some of the hills where, quite simply, 36/28 was just too high. I am ashamed to admit that Bignor Hill beat me and as that was at the beginning of the ride I knew I was in trouble. 3 other off road hills beat me this year compared to just 1 last year, but walking was just as quick as the MTB's were going anyway.

Can't wait for it to dry out a bit now. Roll on summer.

Have you read about the Shipwrights Way, RussV? It goes from Alice Holt to Portsmouth, via basically the old A325 and A3, mainly off road and thence to Rowlands Castle and Hayling. 50 miles.
    I'm going to do that later this year, you can get a train to Bentley if needed.

Bignor Hill is a pig whatever the gearing. I've ridden it on an MTB with silly low gearing and had problems keeping the front wheel in contact with the road. The hairpin is especially tricky unless you get it just right.
    Did this go up Knights Hill at Goodwood, I overtook a chap on an MTB going up this on Saturday and it looked like he was putting up direction arrows for an event?
  • Kimble
    Kimble Posts: 53
    Has anyone ridden the full SDW (in one go) on a Boardman CX?

I've done it previously on a full sus (Boardman Pro FS as it happens, over 21hrs) and am contemplating it again but on my beloved CX team this time. Will this be harder / easier? am wondering which will be faster (CX / MTB) but also thinking it'll be back breaking on the CX over 20 odd hours without suspension... similarly carpal tunnel on the hands yet I am strangely drawn towards using it for such a spin.

thinking about it I was glad of the Suspension, fattish tyres and hydraulic brakes for the 100 odd gates as I did most of the gate duty last time and the hills are very steep though eventually after about 85 miles non-stop we had to start walking some of them anyway..
  • Fret, I didn't know about the Shipwrights way, sounds interesting. I'm going to look it up now.
    If you are going to ride it I wouldn't mind coming along for a bit of fun.

Doing the Wiltshire wildcat this Sunday (road ride) may take the CX if I sort out the creaking BB that started yesterday.

Kimble, I've ridden the SDW twice on a none suspension bike a good 15 years ago, would also love to try it on the CX, yesterdays taster brought back memories.
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • Anyone getting a "413 Request entity too large error" when posting on here?
    I can only post using the quick reply button which means no pictures as well.
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • fret
    Did this go up Knights Hill at Goodwood, I overtook a chap on an MTB going up this on Saturday and it looked like he was putting up direction arrows for an event?

Yup, up the hill, turn right and then 100 yards and turn left across a field/ROW.
    Last year I managed Bignor on the CX, but wheelies were inevitable.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    Russvphoto wrote:

Doing the Wiltshire wildcat this Sunday (road ride) may take the CX if I sort out the creaking BB that started yesterday.
    Try tightening the crank and chain ring bolts, that's always overlooked. I have had a click at the 2 o'clock position r/h crank recently and it seems to have done the trick.
    Check the rear wheel for tightness as that moving a small amount can sound like a BB issue.

I've done the SDW (OK, a small bit) on the CX. It was fine, no dramas as the hills weren't extreme and the low Wi-Fli was excellent. I too would love to do the whole thing, but I think it would take 2 days.
    Interestingly I was talking to a gorgeous bit of crumpet yesterday who was asking if/why CX bikes were quicker. I put it down to thinner tyres and harder pressures on the road and harder packed sections, lighter weight and that was about it. Downhill I would think a suspended bike is far quicker, but can't see what difference overall there is between all the types of bikes on event and can only really put it down to the skill and fitness of each rider.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    Just seen the results of the event yesterday.
    4 hrs 27 mins. My computer said 4 hrs 8 mins, so that accounts for 19 mins of stopping for 2 food stations, adjusting the rear derailleur three times and a couple of rests.
    Out of 51 riders who did the 76km I came joint 12th and Joint 2nd in my class, 27 minutes behind the 1st place. who did it in 4hrs dead.
    Had I not stopped for food and a couple of breathers I would have easily been 2nd and as it was I was only 8 minutes behind the quickest rider, 27 on official timing though.
    I guess some training would have been beneficial too. :oops:

Not bad for a 50 year old!
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Thats a great result Fret, how does it compare with last year ?

SDW in 2 days is quite easy to do if you start in Eastbourne early enough, we used to stay at Truleigh Hill YHA just west of Devils dyke on 2 day rides.

Thanks for the tightening advice too.
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • michaelede
    michaelede Posts: 152
    Finally found time to switch in the 2012 10 speed SRAM Red Yaw front mech, completely changed the feel of the bike. Still don't like the large amount of movement required at the shifter to pop it on the big ring but at least it is reliable and I haven't noticed any chain rub in any gear combinations (although I haven't spent any time on the road in the silly combinations I did try them on the stand). Much easier to set up than the microshit one. Really nice upgrade for £40ish from ebay.

Have been forced into commuting daily and been really surprised as to how much slower I am on the CX in comparison to the Team hybrid, I guess some of it is fitness but a large chunk must be the standard Ritchey tyres vs. the road tyres on the hybrid.

Really need to pull my finger out and have a bike fit, I felt much more at "one" with the hybrid after the fit.
  • fret
    Why not just use the measurements for the hybrid on the CX? A CX should be quicker especially on the drops and the tyres won't slow you a great deal if you stick 85psi or more in them.
    There still shouldn't be a huge amount of movement on the l/h shifter due to the zero loss action. Although the movement is greater than on Shimano equipped bikes. Perhaps it still needs adjusting.

Last year I did the same course in 4hrs 20mins on the computer, 4hrs 55mins official timing as I stopped to help a chap who had used 6 spare tubes....and another 1 I gave him too.
    Although not much "quicker" this year, there was a nasty part right at the end of the route that was waterlogged last year which they had to omit so there was a short road section that bypassed it, so this year I did far better than last year overall.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Well, after having a new bottom bracket fitted to the 2014 CX comp around 50 miles ago, it`s wrecked again.

Back in the store for BB number 3 in as many months. Not so good. :cry:
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • That's bad, what are they saying? bad bearing quality, poor installation or frame problems. Assuming you're not spraying degreaser into it on a regular basis. Is it still a bb30 or have they changed that? Mine lasted 9000 miles before dying.
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    The Comp has a 68mm square taper jobbie with the original made by FSA.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • newtonuk wrote:
    The Comp has a 68mm square taper jobbie with the original made by FSA.
    Oh ok thanks, I'd have thought they would be pretty bullet proof?
  • Yeh, so would I

They have the bike and will call me tomorrow, but if they can`t find anything obvious I may consider refusing the bike.

TBH, they were as amazed as me that another had failed. The original was FSA, I think the first replacement was Shimano.

They will check the frame, crank etc. They had to drill a drain hole the last time as there was none in the BB area of the frame.
  • fret
    Strange, those cartridge bearings are very reliable.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Yup

The bottom bracket had failed,, after less than 50 miles ! :shock:

They were a bit shocked by it as well. Another new one is on order. 3 in 3 months though, that can`t be good.
  • bob7896
    bob7896 Posts: 18
    Hello All, I have the older style Boardman 2010-12 in large.
    Its time to replace my rear brake cable, and probably front while i am at it. So a question for everyone. Can I buy a standard Jagwire kit, or do i need to buy something special because of the longer cable runs?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/jagwire-racer-b ... oad-bikes/
    I haven't got access to my bike for a week, so could some one measure the cable lengths for the front and rear brakes for me please?
    Has any replaced their brake cables and changed the cable length/routing? I know sometimes this can improve braking and wanted to know others experience.
    Great to have this forum for advice on these bikes, such a shame Boardman are tied in with Halfords and their newer CX model is a lower spec and I think looks worse.
    Thanks
  • newtonuk
    Where does the idea that the new CX is lower spec than the old one? I've read this a few times now. What's lower spec about it?
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • fret
    newtonuk wrote:
    Where does the idea that the new CX is lower spec than the old one? I've read this a few times now. What's lower spec about it?

Forks for starters. Possibly the wheels. Boardman bikes lower the specs to keep prices down.
    Bob7896 wrote:
    Hello All, I have the older style Boardman 2010-12 in large.
    Its time to replace my rear brake cable, and probably front while i am at it. So a question for everyone. Can I buy a standard Jagwire kit, or do i need to buy something special because of the longer cable runs?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/jagwire-racer-b ... oad-bikes/
    I haven't got access to my bike for a week, so could some one measure the cable lengths for the front and rear brakes for me please?
    Has any replaced their brake cables and changed the cable length/routing? I know sometimes this can improve braking and wanted to know others experience.
    Great to have this forum for advice on these bikes, such a shame Boardman are tied in with Halfords and their newer CX model is a lower spec and I think looks worse.
    Thanks

I used a "normal" rear brake cable on mine.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • newtonuk
    So the only difference with the fork is the mudguard eyelet. The fork is an open-mould model that is available on many bikes and the current version of the fork has a mudguard eyelet on the outside, although Boardman haven't updated to this one in the UK, although it was on the CX bike in a US launch video.

Wheel wise, they are the same Formula hubs, the rims in the new Team are Mavic XM319 vs Ritchey Pro OCR Disc on the old model, neither of which are particularly brilliant rims, but both are functional and at the same price point. The Mavic must have better rim tape as I haven't had a problem with punctures as you have with the Ritchey rims.

Personally I don't see anything that is lower "specification", poor choice with the fork I would agree, but not lower spec.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • fret
    edited March 2014
    Lower spec fork sourced from a different supplier at a lower cost.
    Different frame, PF30 BB, not a BB30. PF30 is cheaper to produce. SRAM make PF30, so sourcing it from one supplier makes it cheaper as well, which is a good thing in a way.
    Different chainset/crank? Can't remember now what the old one had as std.
    Different finishing kit, probably cheaper.
    Are the cables still Gore Ride On?
    500g heavier, that comes from cheaper components.

"The Mavic must have better rim tape as I haven't had a problem with punctures as you have with the Ritchey rims." Not necessarily better, but just getting rid of the stupid offset spoke design that causes the problems.

But still a very good bike. There is little to match, let alone beat it.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • newtonuk
    fret wrote:
    Lower spec fork sourced from a different supplier at a lower cost.
    Different frame, PF30 BB, not a BB30. PF30 is cheaper to produce SRAM make PF30, so sourcing it from one supplier makes it cheaper as well, which is a good thing.
    Different chainset/crank? Can't remember now what the old one had as std.
    Different finishing kit, probably cheaper.
    Are the cables still Gore Ride On?
    500g heavier, that comes from cheaper components.

Lower spec fork sourced from a different supplier at a lower cost - possibly, or the previous fork was no longer available as it wasn't specifically made for Boardman in the first place, so they chose the current open-mould fork. How can you tell that it is lower spec? Boardman have only ever stated that it is a "Full Uni-directional Carbon Fibre - tapered steerer", which is what was specified on the earlier model.

Different frame, PF30 BB, not a BB30 - Well, we know it's a different bottom bracket anyway, the rest of the frame might be exactly the same spec, i.e. triple butted lightweight alloy. SRAM made the bearings in the BB30 on the original model as they do on the current model. The lower cost comes from the required tolerances on the BB30 being greater than that on a PF30 as the bearing are housed in a plastic shell rather than an alloy one (which seemingly caused a lot of problems itself).

Different chainset/crank - Nope, still a FSA Gossamer 50/34. Mine's even labelled BB30.

Different finishing kit - Well, it's still a Boardman branded finishing kit E4P (Engineered 4 Performance) - Lower spec? Who knows, it's Boardman's standard finishing kit on all of their bikes. They also do a SL and a carbon finishing kit as well, but they didn't spec that on either CX Team.

Cables - No, Gore Ride-On cables are no longer made, they're SRAM/Avid OEM cables on the 2014 Team.

Interesting point about the weight. The new model does come in at a reported 10.43kg, and as you said yourself about the previous model:
    fret wrote:
    the OEM weight is scary, especially as they quote 10kg on the web. Hey may have been VERY conservative as the CX-PRO weighs exactly the same, despite a lighter groupset.

One thing that is definitely lower spec… The rear cassette is a PG1030 instead of a PG1050. I don't know what the difference is between them, BUT I think that the new model feels unbalanced and is significantly heavier at the back. As I posted previously, I can pick up all of my bikes and find a point of balance (centre of gravity) but I can't do that with the board man, the back end is definitely too heavy for the rest of the bike.

Lower spec? Not sure. Different spec, yes of course, even the groupset manufacturers change their spec from year to year, so of course this filters down to the bike brands.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • fret
    So it all points to lower priced items for the non branded items.
    Boardman frames on the old models are made by a well known Thai company, the second biggest in the world I believe. The choice of a different fork and the initial production problems on the frame leads to the conclusion that the supplier of these has possibly changed to keep prices down.
    Most of the changes sourced mainly fromAvid/SRAM, who are known to offer very cheap deals to OEM specs. Which is a good thing until it comes to replacing an item, but that's not slating Sram or Avid and we won't get into the Shimano Vs Sram war. If you source all the components from one supplier then you will obviously get a group deal which you can then pass on to your customers.

The 'bars seem to have a different bend in them, meaning they may be sourced from another supplier too.
    PF30 is cheaper to produce, so that is also a cost cutting exercise and can be seen as downgrading the specifications as Cannondale (who started BB30) are still producing it.

For example, the original Road Team bike had Ultegra, then it was 105 . The current Carbon Team has gone down from Ultera to Tiagra over the years. Ritchey used to be the finishing kit, now it is in house unbranded items who are mainly made by a far eastern company whom I forget the name of, but they are not brilliant items.

In order to remain competitive you must cut prices and the easiest way to do this is to source cheaper components, which are generally heavier and of slightly lesser quality. You simply do not get the same quality for less money, that is a fact. Take Fender Guitars. The American, Mexican and Squier ranges all LOOK the same, but, believe me, they are all completely different with different woods, electronics, paint and machine heads, which leads to different sounds and longevity of the instrument in terms of overall quality.
    This isn't to say they cheaper ones are rubbish, they just aren't as good as the more expensive ones.
    The small changes may be significant to the quality of the components. I can't recall actually stating the bike has been down specced and can't really tell where from the initial reviews and actually seeing the bike in the flesh, but since you asked I thought I would use my observations as a bike builder and rider of many years to try and explain to others exactly why and what makes a "lower spec"
    Certainly not the major components like the drive train, but all the small items which we overlook and take for granted.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    My cx team 2104 makes a squeaking noise after a while riding, at first I thought it was the bottom bracket :( , but when I stand up the sound goes away, so i am thinking it is the seat. I tightened it after doing half my ride and 5 miles later it starts squeaking again, hopefully it just needs some grease on it. It is a real shame about the quality of this bike as I really like it, I got it one the c2w scheme and it took me 3 bikes to get one that didn't have the paint cracking issue, and not only that, but halfords haven't got a clue how to build a bike (properly), the gear/brake cables are already frayed both wheels are out of true and the top of the seat post were the clamp is has paint that has come off, and there is cable rub were the cables rub on the fork, but still like the bike with all its flaws. I have an old scwinn road bike with tiagra groupset more or less 10 years old and not had a single problem with it no counting tyre wear and cables, so either quality is coming down or boardman are cutting to many corners.