Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Phinney now on course - roads/cyclepaths/cobbles/paviours drying
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    edited August 2011
    emadden wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    So, is consistency throughout the year, or is focus on one or two major races each year with large peaks and fluctuations in form an indication of dodginess?

Seems to be if a rider wins by having better legs on more than one occasion in a season someone here will shout juice.

Nonsense. Just one occasion is enough for some people.

Gents, seriously just how many races have you all watched this year? and perhaps more telling, how many years have you been following cycling?

Is this a serious question? If so, I am insulted....

Rick :-) not intended to insult I fear that some are failing to grasp the enormity of Gilberts performance this year.... He is simply exceptional and its not a case of second guessing someone because he has won a few races in a season... This is going beyond that. The guy isnt just winning a few races - he is killing the field in all the monuments and doesnt seem to be slowing down! I sincerely hope the guy is clean, but I havent seen year-long peformances like this since the mid 80s.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    edited August 2011
    1. J Sergent 17:55
    2. A Rasmussen +14
    3. J Roelandts +20
    4. V Isaichev +27
    5. L Boom +27
    6. J Mouris + 30
    7 M Tjallingi + 30
    8. T Phinney +30
    9. E Boasson-Hagen +32
    10. B Grabsch +34

Gilbert +49 - EBH back in the leaders jersey by 12secs
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    emadden wrote:
    I sincerely hope the guy is clean, but I havent seen year-long peformances like this since the mid 80s.

Boonen in '05??:P
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Yes he has been riding strongly, but surely part of the reason for Gilbert being so successful is that he is willing to try his luck. A lot of the big names never seem to put in a dig. Many put in a dig, but are looking over their shoulder and sitting up 10 seconds later. Gilbert seems to have the attitude that he would rather try and get nothing, than sit there and get a top 10.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    squired wrote:
    Yes he has been riding strongly, but surely part of the reason for Gilbert being so successful is that he is willing to try his luck. A lot of the big names never seem to put in a dig. Many put in a dig, but are looking over their shoulder and sitting up 10 seconds later. Gilbert seems to have the attitude that he would rather try and get nothing, than sit there and get a top 10.

+1 to this.

I think the Tour is a prime example of where he was prepared to roll the dice and give it a go. He was prepared to go from what seemed ridiculously far out positions. Often he ended up a busted flush but every now and again he was able to make it stick. I loved it when he was prepared to take on the pure sprinters for the points! It must have really p****d them off!

He's exciting to watch. I wish there were a couple more Gilbert types prepared to mix it up like that
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • So, anyone watching today? Is 12 seconds is enough for Eddy B? Chance for Dangerous David Milar maybe?
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    40k to go, glimpse of Gilbert about 12 wheels back and I just thought "Oh, that's that then." We'll see.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • A few climbs in the last 15km, don't know much about them but they don't look hard enough to get any sort of gap. Hopefully someone will have a dig though!
  • Cool, good win for Eddy B and nice way to win the overall. Interesting to see a few HTC attacking towards the end. Is this what we're going to see for the rest of the season? Does anyone know if Eisel has signed for anyone?
  • Comical finish.
    A terrible edition of a mediocre race.
    One, half decent stage and the rest was insomnia medication.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Comical finish.

Crashing is comical?

:?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    EBH, big guns wins a 2nd overall. Congratulations. He is defo worth his salary.

And it doesnt just happen the Poland:
    tumblr_lptvbosu7C1qacyk6o1_r1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    And quite funny from stage 3.
    tumblr_lps3vgDPBI1qacyk6o1_500.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    20110814ispa_001_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    Not much of a spoiler this did EBH win the stage as well as the overall? Looks like I've missed all the highlights on ES.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Not much of a spoiler this did EBH win the stage as well as the overall? Looks like I've missed all the highlights on ES.

Yes he did.

Final kilometre here, if you're interested: http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... /1.1087597
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Comical finish.

Crashing is comical?

Maybe he was referring to the guy holding the finish line down with his foot...
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Comical finish.

Crashing is comical?

Maybe he was referring to the guy holding the finish line down with his foot...

Oops, my bad, couldn't see that on my dodgy internet feed. Guessing they had used tape to mark the finish.