Eneco Tour *Spoiler*

Comments

• Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    6km to go Gilbert has kicked!

I knew I should have had him for ptp :x
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm a Gilbert fan, but I'm really starting to wonder how he keeps his form at such a high level throughout the year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Gilbert leading with a select chasing group with Millar doing most of the work. EBH also there
  • FJS
    Gilbert at around 13 seconds - with 1 small hill to go - might be enough for the stage win, but not the overall GC
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Gilbert....leads by 3 secs....what happened to EBH? Didn't seem to have the legs at all!
  • FJS
    Gilbert also gets the leaders jersey, but with only a couple of seconds he'll probably lose tomorrow.

Bole and Hermans get first places of chasing group. Boasson Hagen further back in that group
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    What the hell is Gilbert on... The guy needs to taper off to keep his credibility... its obvious that his preparation is top notch - he is having an Eddy Merckx type year. In the modern sport of professional bike racing (as Paul would say), being on form and being in contention all year is not possible. Its two weeks after a hard Tour, the guy has had no time off and he seems as fresh as a daisy.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • FJS
    1. Philippe Gilbert 191 km in 4u54'52"
    2. Grega Bole (Svn) op 9"
    3. Ben Hermans z.t.
    4. Koen de Kort (Ned)
    5. Dominique Cornu
    6. Zdenek Stybar (Tsj)
    7. Dries Devenyns
    8. Lars Ytting Bak (Den)
    9. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Noo)
    10. Greg Van Avermaet

Stybar not doing too bad for a crosser...
  • TRbike
    TRbike Posts: 27
    edited August 2011
    I'm a Gilbert fan, but I'm really starting to wonder how he keeps his form at such a high level throughout the year.

Even in the dark days I dont remember someones form being this good all year long... I'm going to believe much like i still do with Usian Bolt who has done unknown feats in sprinting another drug tainted sport over the years..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Boonen in '05 anyone?

This is only the Eneco tour remember.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    millarmind David Millar
    I knew he was gonna go, he even told me when and where, I still couldn't do anything when he did. The joys of racing against Phil Gilbert.
  • Gilbert hits young Phinney with his hammer.
    EBH and Dave Millar get off cheap.
    Things at the top should get very tight tomorrow, with the ITT.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FJS
    So, is consistency throughout the year, or is focus on one or two major races each year with large peaks and fluctuations in form an indication of dodginess?
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2011
    FJS wrote:
    So, is consistency throughout the year, or is focus on one or two major races each year with large peaks and fluctuations in form an indication of dodginess?

Seems to be if a rider wins by having better legs on more than one occasion in a season someone here will shout juice.
  • rick_chasey
    Gilbert probably knows that even for the best riders, seasons like this come once a career, so he's making the most of it.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    he's good at kicking on short sharp hills. why is it surprising that you can do that several times a year?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    FJS wrote:

Seems to be if a rider wins by having better legs on more than one occasion in a season someone here will shout juice.

Nonsense. Just one occasion is enough for some people.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    he's good at kicking on short sharp hills. why is it surprising that you can do that several times a year?

Yup, he is very similar to Cavendish in this respect.
    Mañana
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    9 secs is not drug induced.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Gents, seriously just how many races have you all watched this year? and perhaps more telling, how many years have you been following cycling?

i would hardly call Gilbert's performance " large peaks"... The guy's form has been hot since two weeks before the Tour, right through the Tour, San Sebastian, now Eneco. He was a monster coming out of Tirreno, smashed all the classics and still didnt lose form. And this isnt just having a good season. Look at the back end of last year from the Vuelta right through... He mangled everyone. To be on form for this spring he wouldve also needed to start his prep in November.... Its just so incredible. I'd like to have some of his weetabix
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    9 secs is not drug induced.

Correct if you are looking at one race in isolation. Gilbert will be lucky if he's had three days off since the Tour!
    www.dotcycling.com
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Should be an interesting TT in Roermond today. Forecast is for West-S.West winds, approx 20kph and rain showers throughout the afternoon. That would mean they are riding into constantly changing wind directions as the course is quite convoluted and winding. There are some tight corners to negotiate, could be tricky if the roads stay damp.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Re Phil Gil is this not just about strategy for this race. I mean he hasnt competed on any other stage for bonus seconds whereas, for example, EBH has been up there in the sprints.

Gilbert needs to pick up the stages where he can win and not lose too much in the time trial whereas EBH needs to limit losses on the Gilbert stages, contest sprints and do well in the time trial.
  • rick_chasey
    emadden wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Gents, seriously just how many races have you all watched this year? and perhaps more telling, how many years have you been following cycling?

Is this a serious question? If so, I am insulted....
  • Bronzie
    Stage 4 now on - Jesse Sergent (Radioshack) fastest so far 17:55.84
  • Bronzie
    Heavens have now opened. Sergent's time could stand on this twisty course.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Any live linkys?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FJS
  • FJS
    Boom 5th, Grabsch 8th, way off Sergent's time - if it keeps raining he could win it