SW Londoners - Interested in a group ride?

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I think there were 6 or 7 rides. Mine ended up being the faster of the 2 shorter rides with an average of over 17 for the 51 miles door to door. We too had a storming run through the roundabouts. FlyingBogey made the beginners mistake of coming past me after the 2nd RB while I was taking it was at 26. I got straight on his wheel, let him work his arse off at the front and then cranked it up to ~34mph for the pass. Unfortunately for the first time ever the pedestrian traffic lights just before the last RB were red, so I lost most of my speed and then had to flog myself to take the win.

I headed homewards with Sketchley and when the heavens opened the offer of a quick coffee at his to let the rain pass was gratefully received. Nice 15 min stop at his gaff and then carried on home.

Next week I won't be out with the Wheelers, but they will be hosting a similar (if slower) ride. I'll be back for the 21st, providing I can get permission from the wife as we're hosting a BBQ in the afternoon.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • starbug
    starbug Posts: 4
    Rob, thanks for today - I'm now fully signed up on the KW website so I'll be seeing you again soon. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm also thoroughly knackered! Makes me feel much better though that it was the faster of the two short rides :wink:
  • Cheers rob and the rest of you for a very enjoyable mornings ride. I will def be back for more, even though you blasted past at the end. Tomorrows commute will be a bit slower!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    Does anyone know of a club that rides earlier than 9am?
    I would love to join a club and KW is about 5 miles form my door, but I want to ride early am and avoid traffic, and spend the rest of the day living.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @Bontie - there's a Dad's ride which leaves around 7am and returns for 10-ish. The ride times are usually posted on the club run thread on the KW website. It usually appears on Thursday or Friday.

King Donut on here is a TCC member, so he might be able to tell you how their rides are organised.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I would have liked to come but needed to be back by 12... in the end i went out looking for the Southgate Road Club that meet in Enfield according to their website, but no one turned up at the designated start point :( - sadly so many of the North London clubs have websites that haven't been updated for months if not years... anyway I did a solo 42miles @14mph... I did hook up with a group for a while that happened to be heading my way home, but although i could just about keep up with their ~20mph on the flat I got dropped on the first serious incline... just don't have the power :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Enjoyed that a lot. I struggled on the hills but a similar ride with a slower group this time last year had me walking up the hill! At least I made it up them on the bike this time! Leg hurts when I set off in the morning thanks to last weeks efforts and were absolutely screaming at me up Box Hill! Particularly enjoyed the rolling road on the top of the first hill before dropping down the big hill with the hairpin bend. Didn't like that downhill at all! Would have preferred a bit of a flat for a few miles before heading back up Box Hill as I hadn't recovered and my time up Box Hill showed that.

The run back was fun, I managed to keep everybody in sight but kept drifting off the back wheel, I roundabouts where a lot of fun and although my legs where shot by this point it was 25mph+ all the way through them.

Next week I'll be in Richmond Park to watch the racing, following week we have a BBQ which would rule out a morning ride. Following week I'm in!

Thanks to Rob for suggesting this and the rest of the riders for putting up with me being slow on the hills, good to see Flyingbogey, JZed and to meet Starbug.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    this sounds really good fun - couldn't make it though as been on the lash all day Saturday so had to report in for Dad time on Sunday.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Gah, I couldn't get away early enough on Sunday morning so I missed out. Next time gadget...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah, only saw this thread this morning.

Would a single speed be welcome?... My roadie's a long way away.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Would imagine if you can keep up you can do it on anything you fancy. If it's only 35 miles and an entry level type ride I'd guess SS would be fine.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    I've seen SS's do the 3 Hills ride and some of those hills are pretty steep, so its possible. If you can get around Richmond park on it then you'll be fine.

Thanks to all for the company yesterday, it was great to put a couple more names to faces.

The Kingston Wheelers have the same ride every week so even if I'm not advertising it on here please feel free to come along and join in. If after a ride or 3 you love it, please join the club. I'll next be out with the Wheeler's on 21st, providing I can get a morning pass as we've got a do in the afternoon that I can't be late for.

This Saturday I'll be taking out a small ride on the same route, but starting from Southfields and going via Richmond Park, that's not related to the KW club. It will definitely be slower as there are 2 less fit guys who haven't done any group riding before. If you'd like to come too, please PM me first as I want to keep it reasonably small.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Rob i've been out with KW a couple of times in the past and have always really enjoyed it - do you know whats happening this coming Sunday? Are the rides cancelled due to the Olympic test event?
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @Sketchley - are you talking about Ranmore Common?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    cjcp wrote:
    @Sketchley - are you talking about Ranmore Common?

I think so, looks right on the map. Sweeping corners, lightly rolling road with good clear visibility. I liked that road a lot.
    --
    Chris

• Wrath Rob
    Just a quick reminder for anyone who wants to come for a 50 mile ride tomorrow. Easy pace, like 16mph average. Leaving from Southfields and going via Richmond Park, Kingston, Chobham, Effingham, Ranmore, Box Hill, Epsom and home.

For those of you interested in a Kingston Wheeler's ride, this weekend is a little tricky because of the Surrey Classic. Keep an eye on the Club Run thread on the forum.

Normal service will be resumed next week.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Just a quick reminder for anyone who wants to come for a 50 mile ride tomorrow. Easy pace, like 16mph average. Leaving from Southfields and going via Richmond Park, Kingston, Chobham, Effingham, Ranmore, Box Hill, Epsom and home.

For those of you interested in a Kingston Wheeler's ride, this weekend is a little tricky because of the Surrey Classic. Keep an eye on the Club Run thread on the forum.

Normal service will be resumed next week.

Working :(
  • sketchley
    Riding to Bognor tonight! Tomorrow I'll be sleeping!
    --
    Chris

• dhope
    Leaving what time?
    You leading it, despite the off?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    dhope wrote:
    Leaving what time?
    You leading it, despite the off?
    9am. I'll be there, though not sure about the leading after the off. I've got a mate who's an ex 3rd Cat who's coming along, that know's the route so he can lead (and has already volunteered) if I have to bail. If you want to come, drop me a PM.
  • dhope
    Was just asking for reference in future. Have to be in tomorrow morning to wait for delivery
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Working tomorrow 8-12 so can't but you're close to me so would definitely be up for it in the near future..
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Group sex ....? I'm defo in, that's what u said right?

Greg back me up on this.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:

Greg back me up on this.

You been drinking again :roll:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Giving the benefit of the doubt, it does say "group ride" in the title
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Greg back me up on this.

You been drinking again :roll:

not yet but the night is still young.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Thanks guys, good ride this morning. Both really enjoyed it.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah thanks very much :) a good introduction to cycling round Surrey!
  • Ah, only saw this thread this morning.

Most of the hills are doable even with reasonably stiff gearing.

the only warning I'd give is that taking a single speed to a club run is saying "please find every steep hill and link them together !" so more than ever if you can lead a group it's probably wise if only for your knees!
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, only saw this thread this morning.

Most of the hills are doable even with reasonably stiff gearing.

the only warning I'd give is that taking a single speed to a club run is saying "please find every steep hill and link them together !" so more than ever if you can lead a group it's probably wise if only for your knees!

I seemed to do OK. Box Hill was fine.

It was the shallow downhills with a lil tailwind that were difficult. Just span out.