Surrey Cycle Classic (i.e. Olympics test run)

Comments

• I was really hoping to collar one one of top organisers and ask them why they have such a fixation with Box Hill and whether they'd consider another climb, but I didn't get the chance :x
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Short report and even shorter highlights: http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... /1.1087540

Modolo coming very close there...

According to Boonen Farrar and himself crashed, the finale is very hectic (I guess with corners?) and Box Hill harder than he thought ('Ardennes-style'), not necessarily something for sprinters next year..
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    roberts8 wrote:
    I was at Boxhill and it was a very flat spectator experience. The race itself was good to watch but the National Trust have nearly achieved what they set out to , that is have nobody on the zigzag, a sad reflection on their attutude, it should have been on another hill. The atmoshere elsewhere sounded great so I will watch on the A24 next year.

:lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Getty
    What awful colours on that lad.
    9cfeac987a976575f42a645bc6207371-getty-121119529.jpg
    f2399029f5ebda67efee92d3a9cf59c7-getty-121119581.jpg
    5baae89f2bb62f10ad49a696d4f2cfd9-getty-121119672.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    So Dumoulin comes in only cos Feillu crashed in Poland and take 3rd. Nice work shorty.
    tumblr_lprtfiPKAW1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The view from Box Hill:

http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... -hill.html

Which, apart from the zig-zag bit, looked entirely open to me.
    Gordo's World of Zoom http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/
    Those that can, do. Those that can't write about it.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Atz wrote:
    I heard some of the GB women were there but I can't say I saw them and I was on the hill from about 9am.

I saw Lizzie Armistead hanging around the Sky bus at the end.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah I saw the ride out on Putney bridge and back a little further up by Fulham broadway. Was surprised by the attrition - the peloton was certainly smaller than I'd expected by the time they got back with around 6km to go or so. I'm pleased because, if he can stay upright anyway, it might be selective enough for Boonen. :)

All seemed pretty happy and amicable overall though.

Were a few wingers at broadway, but by and large people seemed quite happy by the side of the road.

Also saw the women's Dutch team take a recce. Got a wave from Vos :)

Sporza noted in that clip there were no changing rooms provided at the start of any kind of facility, so the riders had to go amateur and change by their cars (which, of course, if 'the rider' is anything to go by, shouldn't be happening!)
  • Biaggi
    Biaggi Posts: 14
    I was "lucky enough" to have access to the restricted area on Boxhill. Trust me you missed nothing.

It didn't have a great view or atmosphere, it was a long walk from any facilities and had some god awful PA telling us to be safe because it was an uneven surface literally every 5 minutes. I've never felt so patronised.

The open public areas at the top were much served with better views. I know where I'll be watching next year.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    FJS wrote:
    Short report and even shorter highlights: http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... /1.1087540.

Good old Sporza.
  • Biaggi wrote:
    It [...] had some god awful PA telling us to be safe because it was an uneven surface literally every 5 minutes. I've never felt so patronised.

Creating the atmosphere of a typical railway station, where you're constantly warned to look out for suspicious packages. The attitude of British authority seems to be to create a sense of controlled anxiety, a sort of Big Brotherish "do as you're told and be safe".
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Biaggi wrote:
    I was "lucky enough" to have access to the restricted area on Boxhill. Trust me you missed nothing.

It didn't have a great view or atmosphere, it was a long walk from any facilities and had some god awful PA telling us to be safe because it was an uneven surface literally every 5 minutes. I've never felt so patronised.

The open public areas at the top were much served with better views. I know where I'll be watching next year.

What open public areas were those then?

I was on box hill too and agree it wasn't great. Lovely view and safe or my 6 year old to watch though.

The place to be is at the bottom between the roundabout and the righ turn onto the hill. Atmosphere was supposed to have been great today.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    My only complaint on the day was the amount of spectators that ignored requests to keep off the road eventually resulting in taking a rider down near where I was. There was also a complete disrespect for the road closures by cyclists including one club group who decided to head off down the course in the opposite direction to the race after the peleton had passed but before the stragglers from the race or broom wagon had passed! :shock:
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    SLX01 wrote:
    My only complaint on the day was the amount of spectators that ignored requests to keep off the road eventually resulting in taking a rider down near where I was. There was also a complete disrespect for the road closures by cyclists including one club group who decided to head off down the course in the opposite direction to the race after the peloton had passed but before the stragglers from the race or broom wagon had passed! :shock:

Agreed, I felt sorry for the stragglers fighting through spectators who had started to head off down the road, lots of 'officials' stood around who did nothing to stop this.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Wait what? They allowed people to ride on the course while it was still live and people to encroach and knock riders off but wouldn't let me go home 2 hours after the race passed? Awesome.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Name and shame time: Moom couldn't make it out of bed to watch it.

Tut tut..

:P
  • Mdheaton
    Mdheaton Posts: 10
    Good atmosphere in Richmond Park where I was. A slightly overweight middle aged man somehow got on the course just in front of the second peloton and got a huge cheer as he came.

A thought: Next year, could you go to Box Hill to watch and then after they left for the final time, follow the broom wagon along the course? Would be cool to be riding with all the spectators and the course still car-free.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Mdheaton wrote:
    Good atmosphere in Richmond Park where I was. A slightly overweight middle aged man somehow got on the course just in front of the second peloton and got a huge cheer as he came.

6042475387_ebb8995932_z.jpg
    A cycling fan joins the riders in Richmond Park by RozJones, on Flickr
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    That is not an impressed looking peloton!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    What a nob!
    Mañana
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    If he tries that at the real Olympics he'll probably get shot by anti-terrorist police.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,461
    Those shorts! :shock:

He needs to lay off the buns too.
  • Which one is he again?

:D
  • pb21 wrote:
    What a nob!

Anybody checked the Beginners section yet to see if there's a Test Event gatecrasher thread?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I was on The Mall for the start and finish. I have to say, I feel sorry for anyone who has paid to be in there next year. I knew what it'd be like, and it's fine with free tickets... but literally we saw the rider intros, them set off, then the riders coming in to the finish. Probably a few mins of action at most if you see everyone cross the line and not run straight off to get a good spot for the podium celebrations.

That said hopefully they'll have a big screen showing the rest of the race as it happens.

Not sure what we'll do to watch, sounds like it's going to be rammed anywhere along the route.

I know some people don't think a lot of Pat McQuaid, but it's not very good booing him as he's announced to present Cav.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Mdheaton wrote:

6042475387_ebb8995932_z.jpg
    A cycling fan joins the riders in Richmond Park by RozJones, on Flickr

People who look like that should be banned from lycra, its hardly going to aid performance when he's carrying all that flab around with him.
  • SLX01
    pb21 wrote:
    What a nob!

He'll probably be starting a thread on here about his Sunday ride being ruined by wannabe pros using the park like its a race track! :lol:

• People who look like that should be banned from lycra, its hardly going to aid performance when he's carrying all that flab around with him.

Very harsh. I am sure he know's he is overweight and I expect cycling is to fix that! isn't cycle clothing all about comfort first not really aerodynamics at any level below pro?
  • SLX01

People who look like that should be banned from lycra, its hardly going to aid performance when he's carrying all that flab around with him.

Very harsh.

Harsh!? The guy deserves a good hiding for behaving like a complete twat, he could have caused a serious accident injuring a proffesional athlete. I'm sure if he'd taken Cavendish out and ended his season before the World Champs he would have lost a few pounds running from a very large angry mob!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    hammerite wrote:
    I was on The Mall for the start and finish. I have to say, I feel sorry for anyone who has paid to be in there next year. I knew what it'd be like, and it's fine with free tickets... but literally we saw the rider intros, them set off, then the riders coming in to the finish. Probably a few mins of action at most if you see everyone cross the line and not run straight off to get a good spot for the podium celebrations.

That said hopefully they'll have a big screen showing the rest of the race as it happens.

Not sure what we'll do to watch, sounds like it's going to be rammed anywhere along the route.

I know some people don't think a lot of Pat McQuaid, but it's not very good booing him as he's announced to present Cav.

what else would you expect from a road race? they're crap to watch
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago