Surrey Cycle Classic (i.e. Olympics test run)

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited August 2011 in Pro race
So, it's here.

http://www.gosurrey.info/cycling/

A one day race with big names in London, where local punters and fans can open their front door and see some proper cycling names wizz past.

This would be a kinda preview thread, but I'm more interested to see who else is watching it and where.

Perhaps a meet and drinks to watch are in order.

I'll be watching around Fulham, and can stretch maybe as far as Richmond Park.

Anyone fancy a drink?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I happen to be in London that weekend, so I am going to try and catch the finish on the Mall.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rick_chasey
    I happen to be in London that weekend, so I am going to try and catch the finish on the Mall.

I believe spots on the mall are restricted to people with wristbands....

http://www.gosurrey.info/cycling/august ... -zag-road/
  • Anyone know what's happening with the National Trust competition wrist bands? Me and five mates entered, but I don't think any of us have heard back yet.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

Oh FFS, never had such bollocks with other races.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rick_chasey

Come down to South West London.

There are proper pubs there anyway.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    According to Cycling Weekly, there will highlights of the race a week later on the BBC.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    It's not being shown live? :shock:
  • It's not being shown live? :shock:
    Of course not, there must be some Sherbert Dabs' League football match on that clashes! :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Am i gonna be able to get westside what with all the road closures? :roll: where you gonna catch it over there Mr Chasey?
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    I'll be in London on that day: not sure what I'll be doing yet; but if I'm free would like to watch the race. & it's always more fun to watch with others who enjoy it.
    It'd be good to put some faces to names so I'll keep an eye on the thread & confirm either way when things are cleared up for me...
  • I happen to be in London that weekend, so I am going to try and catch the finish on the Mall.

It's a dry run for the Olympics and that's for the roads closures (albeit rolling ones this time) and crowd control aspects too, not just the route and competitors.

It's not shown live in case there's a cock up, e.g. some NIMBY 4x4er in Surrey getting on the course.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I received my red wristbands today for the south side of The Mall. They sent me 4 instead of the 2 they were supposed to.

Does anyone know if that area is seated or standing?

I don't fancy standing in 1 area for almost 4 hours. I was thinking of watching them come up sawyers hill in RP then get over to The Mall ASAP to see the final.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Don't suppose anyone has a couple of wristbands going spare for The Mall?

Pete
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Pete, I might be able to sort you out with some.....................
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662

It ll be on Sporza live!

(don't actually know this btw)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mdheaton
    Mdheaton Posts: 10
    Does anyone have a full list of starters?

And will it be live on radio anywhere, bbc or otherwise? It'd be good to hear commentary so I know what's happened after they all wizz past.

Torn between watching it in Richmond Park or going as close to the finish as I can get to try and see Cav's leadout train. Might wait in RMP for the first pass then go up to the finish afterwards.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    natrix wrote:
    Pete, I might be able to sort you out with some.........

Thanks, I have pm'd you.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Does anyone have a spare red wristband for the Mall? Not wanting to be greedy I was lucky enough to get two red wristbands, currently I'm going with the OH, with Jnr spending the day at his grandparents. Would be great if we could take Jnr too.
  • moto1
    moto1 Posts: 3
    Just a quick correction to Le Commentateur's post regarding the race being run under a rolling road block. This is incorrect, the whole course is under a section 16 road closure.
    This means ALL the roads on the route will be totally closed for a number of hours before the event and for a short time afterwards. You'll need to get to your viewing point in plenty of time!

Moto1
  • Excellent, a real dress rehearsal then!
  • Expect this to be cancelled due to the chavs
  • No, all the test events are going ahead apparently (it was mentioned on the news earlier).
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    No, all the test events are going ahead apparently (it was mentioned on the news earlier).

If this continues then i'll be amazed if they happen. Can you imagine the uproar if in the press if somebody is killed and it turned out that several hundred police officers were marshalling a bike race or a something at the time?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    No, all the test events are going ahead apparently (it was mentioned on the news earlier).

The archery and shooting test events have been moved to Peckham high street, though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    The barriers on Box hill are going up at this very moment so its still on.

If anyone from outside the area is thinking of driving to watch the event live please note that the entire route is NO PARKING any vehicles on the road or verge WILL be towed. The car parks on Box hill are closed from the 12th so any ideas of camping out before the roads close are a waste of time.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    SLX01 wrote:
    any ideas of camping out before the roads close are a waste of time.

Not quite! My scout group applied for wristbands for Box Hill and were lucky to get enough for all those who wanted to go (although we were also sent ones for the mall which we didn't need [all gone now]).

Having got the wristbands we were then told that there was no parking and that we'd have to go by public transport.

Speaking to the train operaters they said that there wouldn't be enough space on the train for all the spectators :(:(

So now we're booked into the campsite for Saturday night and planning to walk to the spectator area at dawn!!

Having watched the TdF (in France and the UK), the PruTour and The Tour Series this seems to be the worst organised bike race for spectating. :evil:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    http://www.londonpreparesseries.com/doc ... t-list.pdf

start list

Funny old mix of teams?

Saw a few of em up there tonight, rode up with the sigma sport guys. I felt special :)
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I think its quite an impressive startlist.. my main concern is whether its simply going to be a massive ball-ache just to get to see some of the race...
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    natrix wrote:
    SLX01 wrote:
    any ideas of camping out before the roads close are a waste of time.

Not quite! My scout group applied for wristbands for Box Hill and were lucky to get enough for all those who wanted to go (although we were also sent ones for the mall which we didn't need [all gone now]).

Having got the wristbands we were then told that there was no parking and that we'd have to go by public transport.

Speaking to the train operaters they said that there wouldn't be enough space on the train for all the spectators :(:(

So now we're booked into the campsite for Saturday night and planning to walk to the spectator area at dawn!!

Having watched the TdF (in France and the UK), the PruTour and The Tour Series this seems to be the worst organised bike race for spectating. :evil:

I was refering to camping out at the road side if you read my post properly, obviously you can camp on a camp site!!