Surrey Cycle Classic (i.e. Olympics test run)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Moomaloid wrote:
    I think its quite an impressive startlist.. my main concern is whether its simply going to be a massive ball-ache just to get to see some of the race...

Does anyone know which bridge it goes over? Whether Putney or another one?

I'll probably be watching it there Moom, if you fancy coming along. Can get a coffee somewhere afterwards if you fancy.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    http://www.londonpreparesseries.com/doc ... ps-pdf.pdf

It gets better all the time, spectators are not allowed to take any more than 500ml of drinking water per person into the spectator areas!!! Maybe they hope that this will mean they don't have toprovide portaloos :wink:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • roberts8
    roberts8 Posts: 18
    Just in from walking the dog on Boxhill. there are miles of 1.8 heras fencing (as used on building sites) being erected in the woods and closed notices on all paths. It was again confirmed that security guards will be on all areas to repel any fan who dares to try and see the race, out of interest I found no orchids, they have seemingly finished.
    Just a thought that if the same preparations were in place a few days ago we could this get into Croydon, maybe the powers that be consider us fans far more of a hazard?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    natrix wrote:
    http://www.londonpreparesseries.com/documents/homepage/safety-and-security-lps-pdf.pdf

It gets better all the time, spectators are not allowed to take any more than 500ml of drinking water per person into the spectator areas!!! Maybe they hope that this will mean they don't have toprovide portaloos :wink:
    Funny they don't mention anything about spray paint cans or large amounts of chalk.

A union jack is a political statement. Will they ban those? In the olympics, only the UJ is permitted, no scottish, welsh or st george's crosses allowed.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • they are also commandeering half of richmond park and huge chunks of the a24, 307 and 308. i was thinking of trying to watch from hill top hill (right off the A24 from east clandon, as one of the few places that has a slight climb) but not sure they will let anyone pass (you could technically come in from the back, through shere road -- but that does require crossing the route at a few points). personally, i am really annoyed by this as a tax payer (and national trust member!).

the only plus is that putney bridge has magically been repaved and, as of sunday, the bottom bit of box hill. i assume they will do the rest -- as well as box hill road down to headley -- as there are some seriously dangeous potholes.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

A union jack is a political statement. Will they ban those? In the olympics, only the UJ is permitted, no scottish, welsh or st george's crosses allowed.

I know it's not an Olympics, but there's a GB team and an England team racing on Sunday.
    Any objects or clothing bearing political statements or commercial identification intended
    for ‘ambush marketing

No Dirk Hofmann motorhomes then.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Moomaloid wrote:
    I think its quite an impressive startlist.. my main concern is whether its simply going to be a massive ball-ache just to get to see some of the race...

I'll probably be watching it there Moom, if you fancy coming along. Can get a coffee somewhere afterwards if you fancy.

What time you thinking of getting on the bridge?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Wonder if the devil will be here
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Funny they don't mention anything about spray paint cans or large amounts of chalk.

Have another look, spray paint is definetly banned as are "large quantities of coins". :shock:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    edited August 2011
    I bet Corley Cycles are excited to ride against Chavanel, Boonen, etc etc.

AN Post seem to have a lot of riders too (10 unless i miscounted).

Edit: Belgium have 11 the greedy sods
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    natrix wrote:
    as are "large quantities of coins". :shock:

That will annoy the NT tea hut they hate it when you pay with notes! lol

This event is going to annoy so many people its crazy that places like Kingston will be no go areas from the early hours because a convoy of bikes etc is passing through for 4 mins at 2pm!
    The 9 laps of Box Hill is apparently to make the distance up to the required legnth, it seems a bit odd they don't do at least a whole lap of Richmond park its easier to access and has the facilities for spectators and would make a nice afternoon out for those in the area who cannot use their car.
    Originally I planned to watch the race on Staple hill then head back to watch then heading back into town but I am convinced spectators will be prevented from leaving until well after the race has passed each area.
  • SLX01
    MrTapir wrote:

They are the squads not the start names each team will have only 5 riders.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

What time you thinking of getting on the bridge?

I'll head down around 8:45ish which is when they'll head out .

They come back at 11:30-12 so that might be a bit more social for you.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    SLX01 wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

They are the squads not the start names each team will have only 5 riders.

a thousand apologies kind sir
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    What I want to know is, if I ride to where the race passes through Ripley will I be able to stand with my bike and watch from the side of the road?

If I can't, I won't bother.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    See that bicycles are on the band list!! Hmmm
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Strong Norwegian and French teams there as well as Italian and Belgium. Not sure I'm going to bother to go now with all these rules and regs and having to wait 3 hrs plus for them to come back.sigh
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    Have the organisers been to a race on the continent? If so, why are they being 'kill-joys'? It will have all the atmosphere of a wet weekend in Rhyl.
    Maybe they should have held the race somewhere else if the NT were kicking up a stink.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • SLX01 wrote:
    The 9 laps of Box Hill is apparently to make the distance up to the required legnth, it seems a bit odd they don't do at least a whole lap of Richmond park its easier to access and has the facilities for spectators and would make a nice afternoon out for those in the area who cannot use their car.

I think they are only doing the Olympic women's race distance on Sunday, about 140km including 2 laps of Box Hill (which is still a fair distance) and not the full 250km that we'll see next year..
  • SLX01
    SLX01 wrote:

I think they are only doing the Olympic women's race distance on Sunday, about 140km including 2 laps of Box Hill (which is still a fair distance) and not the full 250km that we'll see next year..

Thank god you pointed that out in time I just looked at the schedule and an hour to get from Dorking to Esher via 9 laps does seem improbable! I would have been sat there all day waiting for the 3rd bloody lap, lol!!!!
    If its only two laps then I'm off to Staple lane seems far more civilised that Stalag Box Hill!
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    I have wristbands for Box and was planning to ride there but Box Hill Road is closed from about 6am. Only approach seems to be footpath up from just past Rykas, presumably without bike. Shall do a full recce on Saturday.
    The authorities do seem keen to make the whole thing as awkward as possible.
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    Well, I've decided to sack it now!

I had it in my mind that I'd set off early and ride the 20 odd miles to the road that runs between Pyrford and Ripley, grab a coffee and watch the race pass a few hours later, then cycle home inspired having seen the pros. A nice morning out!

But having looked at all the restrictions...sod it!

What do they think we'd do with our bikes? Jump on them and follow the Peloton, trying to keep up with them? Give us some respect!
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    Loads of spectator info here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/20027.aspx
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • as per my earlier post, had the same idea about staple lane ... but suspect you guys are right that we will be not allowed to move either in or out and epson road has been designated off limits as of saturday pm. only option would be to hunker down for the night on crocknorth road and access staple lane through the woods.

at this point, i may just pop by fulham road and watch them streak by. as is, based on the signage up last sunday and my careful reading on the road closure maps, putney to box hill and back seemed to be a no go zone on most every road.

i feel like they are doing everything possible to make this and the road race at the olympics on-attended events other than the lucky few, largely corporates, who snag bracelets.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think you lot are being a bit harsh - they will be following UCI guidelines (for instance a road that people go out and come back on cannot be used in the intervening period), they don't want any cars on the route because what would they do if someone drove on and decided to park up? All the rules re bikes etc are just there to try and make things easier for people to watch - you cycle up, lock your bike 20m away and walk up to the side of the road.

We, as cyclists, should be getting excited about this, rather than moaning and looking negatively at it. It is a proper closed road event, with proper world class cyclists, happening through the centre of one of the biggest cities in the world. Awesome.
  • mroli wrote:
    you cycle up, lock your bike 20m away and walk up to the side of the road.

Is that meters or miles?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'd say that the restrictions are just for the designated spectator areas too. Whilst the roads will be shut, that will be to general traffic. There won't be barriers, or marshals/police/security along the entire route, it would be impossible to police - we've seen what it takes to police a bunch of shops in a city centre of an evening. If you have a bike I think you'll be able to get around to different parts of the course on the way out and back.
  • snipz
    snipz Posts: 85
    Ah yes...when I watch Le Tour (either on TV or physically being there) I always see bikes locked up 20 meters away from the road :roll:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm part of the Olympic Test event crew getting our first 'run out' on Sunday: know the best part of nothing about the arrangements apart from the event schedule but will do my "training" on Saturday afternoon so if there's anything appropriate to spectators, I'll share it if possible. Apart from Box Hill and the Mall, can't see why there would be a need to restrict access for bikes to any part of the course for spectating purposes, but I may be wrong.
    Hope LOCOG are better at corralling the motivation of Gamesmakers than they are at creating a spectator-friendly event?
    MacDonalds are delivering the 'training' and Cadburys the catering - "would you like to XL with that?" would appear to be the most appropriate question, including my waistline.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..