Is Cav the UK's greatest athlete?

124»

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Is Cav the best athlete in Britain. There's only one way to find out:
    Bring back Superstars.
    The only sporting arena to pit snooker players against judo players and decatheletes.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Bring back Superstars.
    The only sporting arena to pit snooker players against judo players and decatheletes.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    kelsen wrote:
    [troll] well, it WAS a lot easier to win stuff during the drug-ridden days [/troll]

:lol: I actually reckon it was harder - they just went a lot faster, and on top of that you had to deal with all the doping culture, getting up during the night to let your blood circulate, regularly being wired up to a drip etc etc. Those guys were nails!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    BigMat wrote:
    his attack in the Ardennes in 1995 was a fourth...
    The best attack in the Ardennes since December 1944, and eventually a lot more sucessful... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    MichaelW wrote:
    Bring back Superstars.

Brian Jacks would still have the edge on any of today's so called athletes.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    BigMat wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    [troll] well, it WAS a lot easier to win stuff during the drug-ridden days [/troll]

:lol: I actually reckon it was harder - they just went a lot faster, and on top of that you had to deal with all the doping culture, getting up during the night to let your blood circulate, regularly being wired up to a drip etc etc. Those guys were nails!
    Well, intravenous iron replacement did have some side-effects
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    It's not just Cav who has his detractors: his girlfriend has her knockers too.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    It's not just Cav who has his detractors: his girlfriend has her knockers too.

Wahey!

POTW
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    Nor will having Cav in the team detract from Wiggo I don't think. It will take some pressure off for a start, plus on sprint days all WIggo has to do is be kept in the peloton whilst the team ride for Cav in the last 5km.

I think it is pretty difficult to build a team that can support both a GC contender and a green jersey contender.

Telekom and T Mobile did it pretty well.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    Nor will having Cav in the team detract from Wiggo I don't think. It will take some pressure off for a start, plus on sprint days all WIggo has to do is be kept in the peloton whilst the team ride for Cav in the last 5km.

I think it is pretty difficult to build a team that can support both a GC contender and a green jersey contender.

I think the apparent tension in the Omega team this year suggests that it would be difficult to focus on both.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

I think the apparent tension in the Omega team this year suggests that it would be difficult to focus on both.

That was caused by Gilbert though wasn't it? Who is neither a GC rider or a sprinter, just a bit of a maverick who has a tendency to ride for himself rather than for the team?
  • cjcp
    BigMat wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

That was caused by Gilbert though wasn't it? Who is neither a GC rider or a sprinter, just a bit of a maverick who has a tendency to ride for himself rather than for the team?

That's the thing, I think Cav would expect the team to work for him. In terms of winning the Tour, the USPS/Discovery model was more successful than the Telekom/T-Mobile model.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    Is Cav the UK's greatest athlete?

No.
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • bigmat
    cjcp wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

That's the thing, I think Cav would expect the team to work for him. In terms of winning the Tour, the USPS/Discovery model was more successful than the Telekom/T-Mobile model.

Well Telekom wom a couple, but I take your point. If it was an all out push for the win, maybe it would be tricky, but I think you could realistically have a slightly less sprint focused team, with sufficient support for Wiggins, and cover both bases. Sky were set up like that this year anyway, its just that Swift / EBH weren't that competitive in a lot of the sprints. I think it could work.
  • cjcp
    That's a point: what would happen to EBH and Swift? Can't make them lead out men, surely?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    cjcp wrote:
    That's a point: what would happen to EBH and Swift? Can't make them lead out men, surely?

EBH would be the new Matt Goss, but with added hilly domestique / breakaway qualities. Swift would probably be the rider to make way for Cav :( Maybe need a couple of Cav support rider s- say Renshaw and Eisel in for Knees / Gerrans / Flecha. Potentially leaves Uran / Zandio / G / EBH to support Wiggins, then G / EBH / Renshaw / Eisel to support Cav. Room for a wildcard then - Rogers could do leadout and support Wiggins, Gerrans could support Wiggins / mountain breakaways, Flecha could help with leadout.
  • BigMat wrote:

EBH would be the new Matt Goss,

Never heard of him. When will he be famous?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

I can't answer that.
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    BigMat wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

I can't answer that.

maybe once he sees his picture in the paper.
    FCN 8.
  • You guys are good.

Sad and old, but good. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem