Is Cav the UK's greatest athlete?

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
David Millar thinks so.

After the success of Rory McIlroy and Darren Clarke to name just 2, what are his chances as Sports Personality of the Year?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    He's too outspoken to win SPOTY. He has opinions and isn't afraid to express them.
    I like him and would vote for him. He actually has a personality rather than just saying what would make the sponsors happy.

Golfers are not athletes anyway, so if it is Cav Vs blokes hitting stationary balls, its a hands down win for the Manx Missile (stupid nickname).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    nah, its's still Daley Thompson :D

oh you meant *this* year...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • EKE_38BPM
    nah, its's still Daley Thompson :D

oh you meant *this* year...

+1 for Daley.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Golf is a sport.

It would be going way too far however to describe golfers as athletes.

My vote goes to Rory McIroy. To have imploded as spectularly as he did when leading the Masters only to come back a matter of weeks later to destroy the field at the US Open is a remarkable acheivement.

Clarke may spilt both the golf and Irish vote.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ryan Giggs
    John Terry
    David Haye

Personally I think Paul Scholes should get a lifetime achievement award for being the antithesis of the above.

As for Sports personality it'll probably go to some athlete ahead of the Olympics. Jen Ennis probably.

I reckon Duanne Chambers should get some face time, simply because of the way he turned himself around after the drugs. Even if he doesn't win anything. Guy could become a role model - of having taken, done the time and learned.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    -1 For Duane Chambers. Git nearly left hooked me!!

• Isn't it Dwain Chambers? Hope you guys aren't dissing a brother :wink:

He won't win anything because he's not accepted by the establishment and there will always be the fear (however unfair) that he might cheat again. Oh, yeah and nobody can spell his name.
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    Dwain Dibley?!?
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    In my opinion the two best British athletes are Chrissy Wellington 3x Ironman world champion who sets a new womens world record practically every time she races and has only been a pro for 4 years, and Alistar Brownlee 2009 ITU world champion and 2010 and 2011 ETU champion, hes likely to get gold in the olympics next year as well. I doubt either of them will be in the running for spoty though.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    He's not even the Uk's best cyclist, leet alone the Uk's best athlete

Then there are people like Daley Thompson who were talented in many disciplines
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ryan Giggs
    John Terry
    David Haye

Personally I think Paul Scholes should get a lifetime achievement award for being the antithesis of the above.

As for Sports personality it'll probably go to some athlete ahead of the Olympics. Jen Ennis probably.

I reckon Duanne Chambers should get some face time, simply because of the way he turned himself around after the drugs. Even if he doesn't win anything. Guy could become a role model - of having taken, done the time and learned.
    Dawin Chambers turned himself around about as rapidly as a supertanker. He whinged and whined about being harshly treated for a few years, on the basis that everyone else was doing it. He only got his act together when he was flat broke because no one would invite him to run at their events.

If you want someone turning things around, look no further than David Millar himself. Once he got past his unintentionally ironic criticism of drugs cheats damaging cycling phase, he really has turned himself around.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Derrr-wain is a drugs cheat and a bad driver. He gets no love from me.
    Yes, I am dissing a brother.

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    No he's a cyclist. No cyclist will ever win SPOTY because it isn't a popular enough sport.

One of the golfers will win it probably unless someone else in a popular sport does something major later in the year.
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited July 2011
    suzyb wrote:
    No he's a cyclist. No cyclist will ever win SPOTY because it isn't a popular enough sport.

One of the golfers will win it probably unless someone else in a popular sport does something major later in the year.

Well apart from Chris Hoy in 2008 and Tommy Simpson in 1965......
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Darts players make me laugh generally* they are all massively fat an they get called athletes too!!

* with the exception of that women who was an odd looking critter but would still "get it" (i think she was Russian)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I think he'll get the votes for SPOTY but ASO will rule that he changed his line and disqualify him.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    suzyb wrote:

Wow, it's the first time I've come across someone who has no access to TV or newspapers, and walks around with their fingers in their ears going 'la la la la la la la'.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sirius631 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Wow, it's the first time I've come across someone who has no access to TV or newspapers, and walks around with their fingers in their ears going 'la la la la la la la'.
    :?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Cav won't win because he is too outspoken, the BBC don't like him as a result.

SPOTY isn't about who is the best sportsman of the year or who has achieved the most in their sport but about the Sportsman the BBC like the most and who will push in the news the best they can to skew the result.

Chris Hoy only likely won SPOTY because most people believe cyclists should be off the road whereas Cav is a blatent road rider, something which the moronic general public of this country detest as god forbid they may actually have to share the road with someone and be aware of someone more vunerable than them!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • It would be going way too far however to describe golfers as athletes.

Oh I don't know. Sounds to me as if Tiger has been pretty 'athletic' in recent years. No wonder his golf has rather gone off the boil.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Robert Millar go nowhere near SPOTY when he won the Polka dot Jersey and that was possibly a much tougher achievement than Cav. Millar also finished fourth overall in the Tour, something that Cav will never be able to do.

Tom Simpson got it for being a gent, and the Beeb would have loved him. Millar and Cav are maybe too outspoken.

Will probably be Rory for it this year.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    hells wrote:
    In my opinion the two best British athletes are Chrissy Wellington 3x Ironman world champion who sets a new womens world record practically every time she races and has only been a pro for 4 years, and Alistar Brownlee 2009 ITU world champion and 2010 and 2011 ETU champion, hes likely to get gold in the olympics next year as well. I doubt either of them will be in the running for spoty though.

She's nails, on a different planet altogether. I think she recently recorded the second fastest marathon leg for both men and women in Challenge Roth. She just doesn't get the same level of publicity other British sportsmen and women do.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Jessica Ennis gets my vote every time, and she looks good as well.

Unlike Kratochvilova, remember her? She had a bigger cock than Linford.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Golf is a sport.

I see we have a comedian in our midst ...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Didn't know about Tom Simpson, however forgot about Chris Hoy's win. I should have clarified I mean non track cyclist.
    Sirius631 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

I do have access, the town where I live isn't that backward. But I choose to live in complete ignorance so I can post uneducated opinions and receive sarcastic responses :|

On a serious note, I do think cycling is more popular. But not cycling as a sport that the masses watch / care about enough to realise how big Cav's achievements are. Hence why I don't believe any road cyclist will ever win SPOTY.

I do hope I am proven wrong someday though.
  • tailwindhome
    shm_uk wrote:
    Golf is a sport.

I see we have a comedian in our midst ...

Meh!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    suzyb wrote:
    Hence why I don't believe any road cyclist will ever win SPOTY.

I do hope I am proven wrong someday though.

Tom Simpson was a road cyclist
  • If you study the list of SPOTY winners you might be surprised. There have been 3 equestrian winners (Zara Phillips 2006, Princess Anne 1971, David Broome 1960), and 3 ice-skating winners (Torvill & Dean 1984, Robin Cousins 1980, John Curry 1976) - hardly the most popular sports in the UK, yet there has only ever been one rugby player (Jonny Wilkinson 2003), the last swimmer to win was Anita Lonsbrough (who?) in 1962 and a jockey has never won.

As others have said this award is based on more than just athletic prowess.....
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    and a jockey has never won..

..apart from last year? ;)
  • stuj15 wrote:
    and a jockey has never won..

..apart from last year? ;)

:oops: :oops: :oops:
    That'll teach me for relying on the BBC website.

Well spotted stu.