STAGE 19 SPOILER - let the culling continue

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    iainf72 wrote:
    It was quite good,

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

At least he's the real winner of the green jersey. :wink:

I've just realised the lowest position Cadel has had in this Tour has been 4'th. And that was for 1 day.

Amazing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:
    It was quite good,

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I did get an have a good email exchange with an ex-forumite about how TV was thick / why can't he stop gurning / etc.
  • mididoctors
    deal wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Incidently, I timed Rolland's climb at 41.10.

The freaks in the clinic forum over at cyclingnews have Sanchez at around 41:30 and Rolland at around 42:00

PR hit the alpe (with ryder) 50 secs (approx) up but finished the stage 14secs ahead which means he rode 35 secs slower than sanchez
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_londdjOYv81qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584

YEAH - TAKE THIS TOSSER OUT
    Getty
    74a2e2698d51ad9c28dece78ebfb8384-getty-_.jpg

As much as I'm not a Bertie fan... respect to the beef eater. He showed the courage of a true champion today.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2011
    deal wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Incidently, I timed Rolland's climb at 41.10.

The freaks in the clinic forum over at cyclingnews have Sanchez at around 41:30 and Rolland at around 42:00

They're probably right. Now I think of it, I forgot Rolland was 50s off the front with Hesjedal when they started the climb.

How are the wise men of the clinic managing to spin that into proof that they're all still doping as much as ever?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    its a good result for the tour

Bertie made the race today but still is unlikely to get on a podium in Paris... which is a relief for all involved (him included perhaps?)

historic tour?
  • mididoctors
    official time on the alpe for PR is 42,01

slower than a 1987 Luis Herrera on a 200km stage

stopwatch starting point?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    afx237vi wrote:
    Man, Klodi is on full-on moron mode on Twitter.

Of course Radio Shack riders have never sucked a wheel to death, then attacked the poor sod to take a win.
    How's Levi doing, btw?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2011
    official time on the alpe for PR is 42,01

slower than a 1987 Luis Herrera on a 200km stage

stopwatch starting point?

There's a polka dotted banner at the side of the road showing where the climb starts (13.8km from the finish)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Getty
    0c3c3ed33ef1b7e55366d7ce0032617e-getty-119586847.jpg
    91079e3251651bdfb0c8a0673d885a99-getty-119589582.jpg
    6606bb3066642e336530042d1cb68799-getty-119586838.jpg
    200007365c61cfdfc7ca7aaf1a46e764-getty-_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Ah that sucks but at least he lit the race up. Here is hoping he finishes strongly.

EVANS for the overall win. PLEASE. That would be SO cool.

Imagine if Contador had been fresh and no injuries.

I'd have thought Andy's ride yesterday was the sort of thing you greatly admire. Huge compliment from Merckx. Equally Evans would seem to be exactly what you dislike, just hanging in there all the time.
  • frenchfighter
    dougzz wrote:
    Ah that sucks but at least he lit the race up. Here is hoping he finishes strongly.

EVANS for the overall win. PLEASE. That would be SO cool.

Imagine if Contador had been fresh and no injuries.

I'd have thought Andy's ride yesterday was the sort of thing you greatly admire. Huge compliment from Merckx. Equally Evans would seem to be exactly what you dislike, just hanging in there all the time.
    Couldnt reply to the thread yesterday as was so busy but must just say that Andy's attack yesterday was True Champion style. Really very impressed by that ride.

Such a shame that Contador cracked. I really hope he drops Andy on the Alpe to make the TT nailbiting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    How can you call single-handedly taking up the chase to close the gap on Andy as "just hanging in there"? He's the one who instigated it today, all whilst other GC riders looked a bit miffed as to what they could do.
  • frenchfighter
    Respect to Cunego too. Really high up and Lampre were over a minute down in TTT.

I am very pleased that if you take out stage 1 crash and the TTT no important changes occur on the GC podium. Would be a shame otherwise.

I guess yesterday was everything.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dougzz
    ^^^^Frenchie
    Fair play, I couldn't read everything on my iPad, sitting in traffic in Bourg after today's stage.

^^^^
    Luckao
    Yep, but always a responder, never an initiator. I'm surprised at his popularity given his style.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Cadel had absolutely no reason to initiate anything tho, the onus was on everyone else.
  • dougzz
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    Cadel had absolutely no reason to initiate anything tho, the onus was on everyone else.
    Because he can then win in the TT, yes, but how dull, and thus my surprise at his popularity for that method.
  • frenchfighter
    dougzz wrote:
    ^^^^
    Luckao
    Yep, but always a responder, never an initiator. I'm surprised at his popularity given his style.

I think it is because he is a likeable rider generally - very nice comments etc. He also Races when he enters races and he performs from one end of the season to the other, always racing at a high level, just like Contador, exactly opposite to Andy. He also has serious grit and determination; a hard rider. He attacks more than he used to and has results to prove it. Aggressive in the Giro. He has his fair share of good luck, people think he is totally clean and he shows a human side, all of which make him likeable.

As far as GC goes, he will pull his fair share in the elite group even if he doesn't go on solo attacks (other than that nutcase attack when he was pulled back by Cancellara and Hincappie).

EvansLombardia.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • luckao
    dougzz wrote:
    Luckao

If that's the route you're taking, you can venture into semantics to make an argument against almost any rider, and I can hold the opinion that he initiated yesterday's response.
  • luckao
    Rolland saying that Voeckler told him to go.

Shut up, Kloden.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Why is Evans such a grumpy tosser?
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    Does anyone else quite dislike andy? I'm not sure if it's his style or arrogance, but I just really don't want to see him win.

such a shame voeckler took such a fall today.
    FCN: 6
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Alan A wrote:

Getty

As much as I'm not a Bertie fan... respect to the beef eater. He showed the courage of a true champion today.

In view of the way the spectator is dressed (male or female?) I think it's just possibly a reference to doping and Bertie thumped him/her because of what was shouted in his ear.

Quite honestly I think spectator behaviour on the climbs is dreadful - perhaps because they're pissed. I've watched on climbs in the past in both the Pyrenees and the Alps and the crowd was encouraging without interfering with the riders' progress.

Great stage today and I'm glad Cav hasn't lost out again in the points competition. It's clear the time limit is too tight in view of the number of riders technically eliminated both today and yesterday. If ASO want there to be a competition for pure sprinters then they should set the rules to allow it. It makes no sense to make winning a sprint competition dependent on climbing ability. I'm no fan of sprinting (I much prefer endurance type events/riders) but HTC have to be admired for refining the art of delivering their man to line.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • iainf72
    Pirahna wrote:
    Why is Evans such a grumpy tosser?

He's not.
  • Geoff_SS wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

Getty

In view of the way the spectator is dressed (male or female?) I think it's just possibly a reference to doping and Bertie thumped him/her because of what was shouted in his ear.

Quite honestly I think spectator behaviour on the climbs is dreadful - perhaps because they're pissed. I've watched on climbs in the past in both the Pyrenees and the Alps and the crowd was encouraging without interfering with the riders' progress.

According to French TV, the moron was dressed up as a surgeon, he was mocking Contador and offering him a syringe.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    According to French TV, the moron was dressed up as a surgeon, he was mocking Contador and offering him a syringe.
    I'm sure it was a fake syringe, but that might not have been so obvious to Bertie when he saw some dude lunging at him with a syringe
  • mididoctors
    the feeling I get is that the riders know they are making the race and are rising to the occasion

quite liked Berties attitude in post race interview about having a laugh and being entertaining...

everybody has done well making the race what it is

Evans tenacity is pretty impressive..

I think whoever succeeds in the TT tomorrow andy or evans will be the worthy winner

(until one of them tests positive lol)