Money is no object - What MTB would you buy?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Whatever seems to have the best resale value :lol:

I guess, I'd be tempted by one of them long travel carbon Trek things, Remedy is it?

Or, since I don't have one, some sort of incredibly kickass downhill bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    diy wrote:
    I just can't bring myself to blow silly money on toys, I much prefer to get myself a bargain.
    Even if you had unlimited resources?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Well my current mojo is close to what I'd buy, but if I'm really picky I wish it was gloss black than matte grey :lol:

If money was no object I'd start my own company, build what ever I want. Sub 25lb 145mm carbon, twin link fs bike, probably dw link, and the usual mega bling build kit with stupid levels of practical weight saving, nice wide bars, short stem dropper post, internal cable routing, tubeless and finished of nicely with some custom bits and bobs and paint job... So really I'm not far off that ATM, only 2 or 3 lbs heavier and slightly less shiny :lol:
  • freeagent
    freeagent Posts: 98
    if it had to be just one bike then probably a dream-build based around a Yeti 575 frame..

i'd rather 3 or 4 different bikes all suited to different things (road bike, decent 100mm Hardtail, 130mm full susser, 180mm gravity bike)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    My bike with a fwe upgrades if its one bike,

Nothing below 30pounds anything below that weight just bends in IMO. If i could have more oooo the top summons looks a fricken giggle :p
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    diy wrote:
    I just can't bring myself to blow silly money on toys, I much prefer to get myself a bargain.
    Even if you had unlimited resources?

Probably wouldn't change anything much. Its not about how much money you have, its about your attitude to wasting it.

I'll spend ages shopping around to save a fiver.

to be fair though there is a world of difference between unlimited resources and money being no object.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    if were talking off the shelf
    a Scott Spark RC29 or as i'd won the lottery and i'd wouldnt have to worry about work anymore i could be more Gnarcore so maybe a Scott Genius LT LTD.

But like others have said probably buy and build, hey its not as if i'd be working anymore, i could spend all my money on bike bits and on forums like this.....................Hang on a minute?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I've started on the right side of this money no object.

First you need a big shed to put all the bikes for every occasion plus the tyres for every condition to go with them, plus the tools to fix every eventuality.

My 3,500 ft2 shed should fit the job, but I'm afraid that's as far as I'll get.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Think I would start out with a carbon SC Nomad frame or a Trek Remedy 9.9 frame, Revelation World Cup's, Easton Haven carbon wheels and bars, XTR 1x9, Formula R1's and various other super duper bits.
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • The one I have SC Heckler
    http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk - Bikepacking
    http://www.unsponsored.co.uk - Independent UK Kayak site
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Assuming I get to keep my current bikes, I think I'd have either a Santa Cruz Blur TRc or one of those new Yetis (SB66?). If I was really making a pointless impulse purchase I'd have a hard time saying no to a Transition TR250.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    No, wait! Last Herb AM! My final choice.

Well... maybe the Yeti too.

Basically the first person to show me a nice bike after I win the imaginary money is getting their arm bitten off.
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    Turner 5.Spot would be the one for me I think

bike_spot_black.jpg

or or maybe a Canyon Nerve AM 9.0 SL

canyon-am.jpg
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • One of these with a nice, expensive build:

t20110612125800DSCF1829.png

t20110612125810DSCF1830.png
    Big guy; small air!
  • Anonymous
    One of these with a nice, expensive build:
    Why?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I'll bet that bike weighs 5 times what it did at the start of a winter ride :roll:
  • Ragley TD-1 built up rigid, aggressive and light as possible... it's all about going fast uphill.
  • bluechair84
    Ragley TD-1 built up rigid, aggressive and light as possible... it's all about going fast uphill cos that's were the pie shops are.

corrected that for ya
  • Ragley TD-1 built up rigid, aggressive and light as possible... it's all about going fast uphill cos that's were the pie shops are.

corrected that for ya

????
  • bluechair84
    Ragley TD-1 built up rigid, aggressive and light as possible... it's all about going fast uphill cos that's were the pie shops are.

corrected that for ya

????

Surely the only reason you'd go charging up hills! Unless there's bacon.
  • Anonymous
    There's bacon at the top of hills now?
    I was not made aware of this :shock: :D
  • One of these with a nice, expensive build:
    Why?

Because it's really light, really strong, and waay out of my price bracket. So why not?
    Big guy; small air!
  • Anonymous
    Is it light and strong though?
  • Weighed next to nothing when I picked it up, yet they were still happy for my dad to stand on a section of the frame and bounce up and down on it. Oh, and if you do manage to break it, it has a lifetime warranty. If you break the frame they'll give you a new one.
    Big guy; small air!
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    I'd use the money to fund Dr Emmett Brown to build a time machine and go back to 1995 to buy a set of Road and MTB Kleins before Trek screwed them up... It's been downhill and not ina good way since then.
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    I'll bet that bike weighs 5 times what it did at the start of a winter ride :roll:

This one ^

I'm all for new concepts but someone let a CAD designer off the leash and didnt really think about the practicalities....Design over function? :?
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i would have greygoose's bike
  • Anonymous
    I'd pay someone to come and ake all your bikes. Then I'd carefully ride and test each of them, before picking a winner. Then smelting all the others, and use them to make more of the winning bike. Then keep them.
    So THERE
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    I'd pay someone to come and ake all your bikes. Then I'd carefully ride and test each of them, before picking a winner. Then smelting all the others, and use them to make more of the winning bike. Then keep them.
    So THERE

thats pretty good thinking there!