TDF 2011 - Stage 14 Spoiler

Comments

• thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Pokerface wrote:
    Anyone else starting to wonder if Tommy V is going to win this thing? :shock:

We forgetting about the TT :wink:

This is looking more like Evans tour e eryday at the minute. Unless the other gc contenders have 2 mins over him then I am sure he can do it in the TT
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Pokerface wrote:

May be showing my relative newbie stripes here, but what's Voeckler's TT like?
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wow, non-racing in the Tour? That's a first

+1

The way some are going on youd think they had never watched a GT before.

Can't remember Lance Armstrong ever riding like we saw today.

Every GT i have ever seen has had stages like this it aint new.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It could just be that those Contenders are so evenly matched but I dont think so.

17, 18, 19.

PROFIL.gif
    PROFIL.gif
    PROFIL.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    TheBullet wrote:
    Not really sure why everyone keeps having a go at the Shlecks. Andy kept attacking and if he got a serious gap he would have carried on riding. He tried hard unlike anyone else and I think Frank just didn't have the legs today.

Can't help feeling that alot of people are jumping on the bash a shleck bandwagon. Bit boring really.

Eh ??? Serious Attacking - Andy Shleck should have his head on the other way round....NEVER seen 2 more negative riders in all my life.....Like watching paint dry that stage....Think i'l get the 1983 - 1984 Tour out tonight on VHS. :twisted:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,205
    Pokerface wrote:

Certainly looking possible, never looked in trouble in the Pyrenees the only problem is whether he could hold it in the TT. Would love him to win to be honest.
  • TheBullet
    TheBullet Posts: 58
    afx237vi wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:
    Not really sure why everyone keeps having a go at the Shlecks. Andy kept attacking and if he got a serious gap he would have carried on riding. He tried hard unlike anyone else and I think Frank just didn't have the legs today.

Can't help feeling that alot of people are jumping on the bash a shleck bandwagon. Bit boring really.

Did you watch the same race as everyone else? The reason he didn't get a serious gap is because he kept sitting up after each effort. The only time he fully committed was on the flat bit at the summit!

Sorry but I don't buy that. He only sat up because he didn't have a gap.
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:

Did you watch the same race as everyone else? The reason he didn't get a serious gap is because he kept sitting up after each effort. The only time he fully committed was on the flat bit at the summit!

did you consider the possibilkity he maybe didnt have it in the legs to launch a sustained attack ? i suppose these races are easy sitting on the sofa.

Yes, I considered it, but I doubt it. He looked the strongest to me, as shown at the finish.

All races are easy from the sofa, but this is a discussion forum. We're discussing it, ain;t we?
  • TheBullet
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:

did you consider the possibilkity he maybe didnt have it in the legs to launch a sustained attack ? i suppose these races are easy sitting on the sofa.

+1.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    patchy wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

It's hard to tell really. In the Dauphine (same course) he came 40th, 3'18 down on Martin, two minutes behind Evans.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can we have a forum rule whereby whenever Jelle is mentioned, his name must be prefixed by the word "Snelle", i.e. Dutch for quick.. ?

(It may also happen to be an excellent and popular children's series about a young footballer called Jelle...)

Snelle Jelle.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2011
    Even 1-2 km for 15-20 secs would have been better than nothing - 2 secs isn't enough - Voeckler has to now be favourite bar none - with Andy/Cadel/Frank, joint 2nd fav and Contador 3rd fav. F#ck.
  • TheBullet
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:

Eh ??? Serious Attacking - Andy Shleck should have his head on the other way round....NEVER seen 2 more negative riders in all my life.....Like watching paint dry that stage....Think i'l get the 1983 - 1984 Tour out tonight on VHS. :twisted:

The only thing negative is you. Don't understand why there's so much hatred.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    RichN95 wrote:
    patchy wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

It's hard to tell really. In the Dauphine (same course) he came 40th, 3'18 down on Martin, two minutes behind Evans.

OK... interesting. Could be very interesting if he holds this shape throughout the Alps, then.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    TheBullet wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:

Sorry but I don't buy that. He only sat up because he didn't have a gap.

He never fully committed to any attack I reckon. He seems to expect the others to let him ride away, whereas in reality given that he's a big favourite he's going to have to break everyone with some massive efforts if he wants to gain some time.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2011
    Voeckler by his own admission expected to lose the jersey on Thursday.

Getty
    4da559edf3123ba2e3d186372e4a76f2-getty-_.jpg
    1105145d7c2d6a980f47c55ca44e015b-getty-_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    [/quote]The only thing negative is you. Don't understand why there's so much hatred.[/quote]

Because the tour is about panache and sadly the Shlecks dont got none.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Mettan wrote:
    Even 1-2 km for 15-20 secs would have been better than nothing - 2 secs isn't enough - Voeckler has to now be favourite bar none - with Andy/Cadel/Frank, joint 2nd fav and Contador 3rd fav. F#ck.

-1 Cadel as it stands, is favourite. The predictability of TV could see him top 3 or top 20 :)
  • Gazzetta67
    TheBullet wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:

What you talking about HATRED ??? - There are some on here who actually know how pro racing goes.....and that today was a Non-Event and full of negative tactics
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Give me the GRIO and some bravery, some serious time gaps, some unreal stages and some attacking mentality.

Yeah, the Giro was fantastic this year. A one man procession from stage 9 in which the GC and points classification were won by a rider who we already knew might be stripped of his title later this year. Marvellous.
  • TheBullet
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:

What you talking about HATRED ??? - There are some on here who actually know how pro racing goes.....and that today was a Non-Event and full of negative tactics

Clearly not you though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited July 2011
    Argument for longer stages? :wink:

T'was only 160 odd KM today.

The ronde is a good 100km more.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Cav inside the limit :)
    Will Snelle Jelle wobble in the Alps?
    No way Voeckler makes the podium.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I know everyone says Tommy can't TT, but they also said he couldn't climb.

Yes - I'd be a little surprised if he won, but unless one of the big favourites puts in some serious attacks, I can see him hanging on and doing the TT of his life.

At least the French would be happy for the next 20 years or so.
  • Gazzetta67
    TheBullet wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    TheBullet wrote:

Clearly not you though.

Whatever - go and learn pro race tactics numbnuts
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i think the shlecks are so obsessed with contador they're forgetting they each need a minute or so on evans before the tt. contador looked a lot better today so hopefully come the alps he'll be firing and be able to take a minute out of the shlecks and evans. i can't see it happening but it would make the tt very interesting
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    gsk82 wrote:
    i think the shlecks are so obsessed with contador they're forgetting they each need a minute or so on evans before the tt.
    Really? I think they're probably quite clued up on what they need to do to get AS yellow in Paris.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    I reckon Wiggins would be sitting in about third place at the moment if he hadn't crashed. Nobody looks unbeatable this year - he would have had a better chance than ever.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    OK I didn't see it but had 5Live on and they were having a right go at the climbers, which lets face it is essentially the Schlecks, for not having a go. Cuddles, Voeckler, Contrador and to some extent Basso will be more than happy to just hang on for now.

Anyone got any stats on who the Alps will favour, as they tend to be less steep than the Pyrenees?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    gsk82 wrote:
    i think the shlecks are so obsessed with contador they're forgetting they each need a minute or so on evans before the tt.

+1. I think that this is Evans' year.