The Tour - Stage 13 - Spoiler

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Now Boom has packed.

Break of 10 up the road with 1'20" , including Thor, Ale-Jet, EBH, Bak, Gusev, Fofonov, Moncoutie
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Boom abandons
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Love the Wim Van Est story. "A buttercup in the grass".

Kloden looked terrible... had to be lifted off the bike. Wonder why he started the stage, really.

Boom abandons too.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    “I’m happy with the result because I’m sure that I’ll get better with every passing day, and that’s what’s important,” said the Saxo Bank-SunGard leader.

“As I said this morning, my goal was to allow other people to make the first move, because it was the first mountain stage after so many setbacks and I had to be a bit cautious and not take too many risks,” said Alberto at the finish line. “You could tell right away that the Schleck brothers were going to play two cards, that they were going to take turns attacking in quick succession. In the end, when Frank got away, it was not due to strength.”

Contador said that in the final part of the stage, “maybe due to using a little higher gear than necessary, the knee seemed to bother me a little, but I’m happy with the result of the first mountain stage. I’m sure that I’ll get better as day go by. Today I didn’t do very well as a consequence of the crashes. I didn’t feel all that well and I couldn’t get into my natural pedal stroke.”

Alberto also said that tomorrow’s stage comes along at the right time, before the Plateau de Beille stage, because “every day that there is in between helps me be able to get back on the right wavelength, since recovery is my strength.” Finally, talking about the Schleck brothers, he said that the two “are equally dangerous, but it’s true that Frank has been very strong so far.”

I like Frank more than Andy. I think he is better too. Recovery ashe points out is super important.

Nice to see your still holding out hope Frenchie. I suppose the above is the only good point to todays stage, as although im not a total fanboy, i do have a soft spot for Bertie where others don't, and if the tour was won by a turd like A. Schleck, then i would be bitterly dissapointed. Just hope the leg come good.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Where's Gusev been for the last few years?
    Did he have a big crash or something?
    exercise.png
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    TheStone wrote:
    Wasn't he 'let go' by Astana for alleged blood irregularites?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

I like Frank more than Andy. I think he is better too.

I think i'm on record as saying that I think Frank has a better shot of winning the TdF than Andy. I know he's older but his palmares is so much wider and frankly more impressive than his little brothers. He's shown that he has what it takes to win races.

I've only ever seen Andy win twice that impressed me - 1. His LBL win, which to be fair was quality 2. The stage last year where he somehow outsprinted Sanchez.

Andy twice second in Tdf to a guy with a PED +ive. Second in Giro to Danilo Di Luca, does that even need a remark about drugs.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    JonGinge wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    Wasn't he 'let go' by Astana for alleged blood irregularites?

He was. Bruyneel reported him to the UCI, using data from the Damsgaard run monitoring programme they had, and sacked him.

Gusev later won his case for unfair dismissal, and was never sanctioned by the UCI.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Johan B's got a new book out:

'We may as well Lose'
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    dougzz wrote:

I like Frank more than Andy. I think he is better too.

I think i'm on record as saying that I think Frank has a better shot of winning the TdF than Andy. I know he's older but his palmares is so much wider and frankly more impressive than his little brothers. He's shown that he has what it takes to win races.

I've only ever seen Andy win twice that impressed me - 1. His LBL win, which to be fair was quality 2. The stage last year where he somehow outsprinted Sanchez.

Andy twice second in Tdf to a guy with a PED +ive. Second in Giro to Danilo Di Luca, does that even need a remark about drugs.

Whilst that's clearly an impressive record, the key is in the word "second".
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    How long do these guys need at the bottom of the Col d'Aubisque to stay away?

Or quite frankly is anyone in the peloton going to be motivated to chase? OPL?
  • afx237vi
    TheStone wrote:

Sacked and "blacklisted" - http://nyvelocity.com/node/4618

Long article, but an interesting read.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Apparently Bruyneel was stopped by French police and was tested for alcohol yesterday.

Turned out negative.

But still.

Haaah!
    Note that he didn't say he had not had a drink...
    Half man, Half bike
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Frank can't Time Trial to save himself, if he can't win the Tour this year, he'll never win it.

Linus and his yellow jersey were, to my eye, the product of a young guy on his first tour with no expectations or pressure from anyone and nobody marking him. Since then he's been held up as Germany's great white hope, ridden for a dreadful team and had a really nasty injury, whilst leading TA... Could have all been so different for him, but for that.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Ridgerider wrote:

:lol:

He'll be calling the police cancer lovers next.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    smithy21 wrote:

The only teams that ever chase (HTC, Garmin, Sky and Lampre) have a man in the break.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Apparently Bruyneel was stopped by French police and was tested for alcohol yesterday.

Turned out negative.

But still.

Haaah!

It's important these things are noted.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    No main Green Jersey people in the break today so it's safe with Cav for another day. Thor the closest but still quite a ways down.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Good to see the rainbow jersey on the attack. Thor may have had a disappointing spring but he's acquitting himself pretty well this summer!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    RichN95 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

The only teams that ever chase (HTC, Garmin, Sky and Lampre) have a man in the break.

Europcar the only ones who might want to chase, but not really until someone who can take the Yellow Jersey gets up the road.
  • afx237vi
    Vultures! They scare me.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    afx237vi wrote:
    Vultures! They scare me.

As a monkey?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    Vultures! They scare me.
    Bad experience?

I don't like them because they remind me I'm balding.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Bearing in mind the Dauphine...

This has got EBH WIN written all over it
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Thor not interested in green jersey points there
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    josame wrote:

Give me them PTP points now then....

When we say vultures are we talking big ugly bird circling dead people, or are we just talking about Leipheimer?
  • rick_chasey
    josame wrote:

He was the bookies' favourite, joint with Gilbert at 10/1 this morning.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    Vultures! They scare me.
    Bad experience?

No, just an irrational fear. I've never met one, personally, although there are some mean looking seagulls around here.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Vultures! They scare me.
    Bad experience?

No, just an irrational fear. I've never met one, personally, although there are some mean looking seagulls around here.

At one of the French zoos, they do a "Birds of Prey" show, with vultures and condors swooping down over the heads of the audience. The feckers are huuuuge.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'