TDF Stage 9 ***SPOILER***

Comments

• epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    jp1985 wrote:

Still can't believe what i watched there.
    Pity we could not watch all of his presentation on ITV, he was in tears
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    And ITV follow the TdF program with......criminals in cars!

Chapeau ITV4
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Tommy v is a fantastic advert for cycling at a time it needs it, darling of France ever since 2004 heroics, truly courageous and loyal in the lost sponsor problems the team had last year, and I imagine quite righty the toast of France tonight.
    Top bloke.

Hoogerland comments after crash show his character , basically said no one did anything deliberately and no one died. Cannot believe just how hard these guys are to get up and keep going

Good to see G in the front group today finishing 24 th or thereabouts
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Cant believe how lucky Hoogerland was, he could easily have been garotted by that fence, I bet he will cack himself when he watches it back.
    As for Vino love him or loathe him he is a genuine hard baxxstard. He must have been in agony when they carried him and tried to put him on bike with broken femur and pelvis. Instinct of these riders and with adrenalin, is to get back pon bike, good job they have doctors there to check them..
    As for Berty not looking like he is going to win, he always rides into better form and these climbs are too short for him so no surprise to see hm struggle to close with the strong guys like Gilbert.
    Iwon't write himw off until I see him in the Pyrenees.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah the TV felt some Dutch rage.

Best value rider of the first week - 3 breaks, going for every mountain sprint.

What am I the kiss of death? After Boonen I threw all my support behind Jonny.

:roll:

Sanchez is smart eh? He's like the Freire of transition stages.
  • rick_chasey
    Could do with a stage that is interesting for the racing rather than the crashes.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Call me old fashioned but if a bike rider flies off the road in to the trees in a bad way (not the flying off a cliff and being caught in the branches of a tree saving certain death- Bruyneel style) would it be better not to move the rider as half of the Astana team had done. Turns out Vino has Broken Elbow (I had one of them), Pelvis and Thigh. Probably screwed him up a lot being moved (the surgeon was probably shouting at the Telly when it happened). I thought even the most dense people would know to not move a rider who has been beaten up by a Forest?? Seems a little obvious to me.

Maybe a health and safety sign could be-

DO NOT MOVE A SCREAMING RIDER IF HE HAS HIT SOME BIG TREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    739133-8763517-317-238.jpg

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • rick_chasey
    Wuyts has been moaning about the amount of cars and motorbikes in the Tour for about 5 years....
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Just posted to twitter by Inner Ring:

[url=Http://twitpic.com/5o73mu]Http://twitpic.com/5o73mu[/url]
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2011
    I dont know what I am watching at the moment but it definitely puts a sour taste in my mouth. At the moment it is simply a case of avoiding serious misfortune, no talent involved here.

If Karpets did really push Contador like that then I hope he is expelled from the Tour, given a huge fine and not allowed to ride for a good while. I certainly will watch with interest the words from Contador.

What a way for Vinokourov to end his illustrious career with an awful crash. And JVB too who was in superb form and I was very much looking forward to his aggression in the mountains. Letour.fr reported a femur break which is a relief as a pelvis would be pretty awful.

I cannot add anything about that car swerve. Very sorry for Hoogerland and Flecha - was great to see them ride in together.

Looking through the photos today is really depressing. Hoogerland in fact had his whole bibshorts ripped apart so must have had to change them in the teamcar.

Glad to see Gesink rolling in strong. Apparently suffering a back injury and was off the back of the peloton quite early on before regaining contact. Another GC contender suffering misfortune.

Getty
    5590a188d54219c412f7c6ac70eb5cd2-getty-_.jpg
    3e611aceb748aec001b30355048763aa-getty-_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I don't believe Karpets would have pushed AC, what's in it for him? I think here must have been a domino effect from something or other. Seems a little bit strange to me, Moreover he's surrounded by 180 odd riders, one of them is going to see it!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_lo4n1lBaY61qacyk6o1_500.png

And a random aside...came across a photo of his girlfriend if you are interested.

tumblr_lo41kn1oFL1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Did you see Tommy V. shake his head after looking back and seeing the carnage?

He was totally disgusted with the driver.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador crash. I'm not sure how it is possible for him to go so fast to the side like that.
    http://tour.tv2.dk/article.php/id-41595 ... ml?forside

AP
    x610.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353

And a random aside...came across a photo of his girlfriend if you are interested.

I bet you did, she's quite the fox
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If Karpets did really push Contador like that then I hope he is expelled from the Tour, given a huge fine and not allowed to ride for a good while. I certainly will watch with interest the words from Contador.

Contador said he got his handlebars caught up with another rider's saddle (presumably Karpets)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Tks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811

I bet you did, she's quite the fox

"I hope you've got a wipe down keyboard" would have been my joke, but each to there own :lol:
  • did hoogerland nearly crash where vino come off? looked like same corner
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    According to ES, yes it was...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • strange that :!: wonder if there was something on the road?
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    So pleased that both Hoogerland and Flecha remounted and finished. Doesn't look any better each time I see it, only consolation is that at least iknow the end result.
    Have to agree with earlier poster that will be good to see a race that's made exciting/interesting without the need for big crashes and incidents. At least Cavs 2 victories and EBH's were worth watching. Still think Bertie can't be written off just yet and unless his exertions in the Giro have finished him off, he can only come good in the mountains
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    strange that :!: wonder if there was something on the road?

Water, the road was damp at that time.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited July 2011
    I still can't believe the Hoogerland / Flecha crash. Absolutely shocking. Unsurprisingly been on the news channels.
    Really hope they can continue ok and that Johnny can defend and even win KOM, he's such a quality watch.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Todays crash may also have had some adverse effect on Bertie's fitness

http://au.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2011/contador-knee-problems_sto2866099/story.shtml
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    hommelbier wrote:
    Todays crash may also have had some adverse effect on Bertie's fitness

http://au.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2011/contador-knee-problems_sto2866099/story.shtml

Sounds like the day-after-day racing after the stage 1 crash isn't helping, which would explain his pedalling on the final climb yesterday that some people were commenting on.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TDF316_CYCLING-TOUR_0710_11.jpg.h513.jpg.767.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    edited July 2011
    "it was a horrible accident and I was in it"

impressed with Johnny's stoicism there
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    RichN95 wrote:
    TDF316_CYCLING-TOUR_0710_11.jpg.h513.jpg.767.jpg

that is horrific.
    Been really enjoying johnnys riding lately.

If vino has got a broken pelvis then he really is an absolute hard bastard -i didnt walk without sticks for 9 months :shock:

good luck to all of them.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story