donDADDYd

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    will3 wrote:
    Nice one. :D
    Did you ask her dad before or after he found out she was "in the family way" (as my neighbour rather quaintly put it)?

After,
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I have, but you will be tired, very tired! As for not being able to spend money on your bike - I still argue that since it's my way of getting to work, I can spend a bit on it. Its still way cheaper than running another car would be.

We've come to an agreement.

I've calculated how much it costs to live (food bills etc) and I'll put that in a pot. There may or may not be a little left over. She'll get the nappies and everyday baby stuff from whatever maintenance/child support we are entitled to, that's her money so I haven't really looked into it (but I reckon my but in the pot left over will be absorbed to get the baby stuff as well). I still get to keep a [reduced] disposable income for my own personal bills, savings and spending (like contact lenses, comics, car and mobile phone etc).

Eventually she will go back to work and things will go back to being 50/50 and we (kinda) have a plan for child care/nursery.

It works for us, our money is our own and I can spend what I want as long as the priorities (bills, food etc) are paid for first.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    It's amazing how something so small can turn apparently senisible and inteligent adults into gibbering wrecks. :lol:

Is that some sort of back-handed compliment about DDD's skillz in the sack?

This raises another question. Mostly for the Dad's amongst us.

When does normal service resume?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Congratulations!

Bills, bills and more bills. Mine are 7 & 8 and I can't wait to kick them out when they turn 18 and get my life back :D .

But then again, I get to go cycling with them and spend money on their bikes instead :D
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    DonDiddyD
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    It's amazing how something so small can turn apparently senisible and inteligent adults into gibbering wrecks. :lol:

Never! That ship has sailed. You will look back on your sunday morning lie-ins with a tear in your eye for the life that you have lost.

On the plus side, you get to wake up at silly o'clock to look after your offspring and clear up the sick. Teenagers can't handle their drink, you see.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Well, I think the average age gap between siblings is about 35 months, so you do the maths.

You'll also need some spare time when you're not both asleep - conditions which don't often apply in a young family.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    So baby (X) is born November, baby has to stop waking in the morning (x2 divided by 9 and carry the Y) .

So I reckon normal service will resume for 1-2 months at the start 2014. :shock:

How do you cope!?
    Food Chain number = 4

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    comics

Seriously??? You're gonna be a dad now!
    exercise.png
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So baby (X) is born November, baby has to stop waking in the morning (x2 divided by 9 and carry the Y) .

So I reckon normal service will resume for 1-2 months at the start 2014. :shock:

How do you cope!?

Eh?! How do you figure that out? My son's 3 and I'm still walking like the living dead most of the time. Normal service resumes when you kick them out the house, and by that time you'll probably be too old/frazzled/skint/traumatized to enjoy any remnants of your former life!

I wouldn't change it for the world though!

Congratulations.
  • DonDaddyD
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

How do you cope!?

Eh?! How do you figure that out? My son's 3 and I'm still walking like the living dead most of the time. Normal service resumes when you kick them out the house, and by that time you'll probably be too old/frazzled/skint/traumatized to enjoy any remnants of your former life!

Congratulations.

I mean sex. Unless you mean that you won't be having sex again until they leave home at 18.
    Food Chain number = 4

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've calculated how much it costs to live (food bills etc) and I'll put that in a pot. There may or may not be a little left over. She'll get the nappies and everyday baby stuff from whatever maintenance/child support we are entitled to, that's her money so I haven't really looked into it (but I reckon my but in the pot left over will be absorbed to get the baby stuff as well). I still get to keep a [reduced] disposable income for my own personal bills, savings and spending (like contact lenses, comics, car and mobile phone etc). .

Seriously?

I thought you were getting married?

Or is that a wind up :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've calculated how much it costs to live (food bills etc) and I'll put that in a pot. There may or may not be a little left over. She'll get the nappies and everyday baby stuff from whatever maintenance/child support we are entitled to, that's her money so I haven't really looked into it (but I reckon my but in the pot left over will be absorbed to get the baby stuff as well). I still get to keep a [reduced] disposable income for my own personal bills, savings and spending (like contact lenses, comics, car and mobile phone etc). .

Seriously?

I thought you were getting married?

Or is that a wind up :wink:

Mrs DDD does Family law for a living, maintaining financial independence is important to her for some reason.
    Food Chain number = 4

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

How do you cope!?

Congratulations.

I mean sex. Unless you mean that you won't be having sex again until they leave home at 18.

My reply works on all levels!
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    I saved money when kids came along. The missus and I used to enjoy our nights out and meals out etc. That all stopped or at least slowed down a lot, I had much more money at the end of the month and to be honest I dont miss the nights out.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DonDaddyD wrote:

How do you cope!?

Good luck with that. :lol:

They learn to walk. That means they're mobile, which means you spend most of the time making sure they're in your sight and, when you see mates in the park or the shops etc, you're talking to them while turning your head every which way, or bent double holding their hands, with your head up facing your mate.

Then they learn to talk. Amazing how quickly they pick up certain words...

Then they learn to talk back.

Then they learn how to negotiate.

Congrats. Very good times ahead. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    I saw a woman with identical triplet toddlers the other day. She had all three on reins tied around her waist. She looked absolutely frazzled (but still quite yummy).

I get the feeling that normal service won't be resumed for quite a while in that household.

• CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    Call me old fashioned but aren't you supposed to get married before conceiving the baby :wink:

And as far as asking her father for permission, I see nothing wrong in that and I feel it shows some respect towards her family. I asked my ex father in law for permission when I asked my ex to marry me and while the marriage didn't last I still get on well with my ex in laws.

NGale's father laughed at me when I asked his permission and replied with 'She's big enough to answer for herself, you'd better ask her'. He was however decent enough to thank me for going to him even if he did think I was a little outdated.

Oh and congratulations on the new addition :D
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Once you have kids there is no "return to normal service" so to speak, but instead "normal" finds a new meaning :-D

What CJ says is so true, especially the trying to keep an eye on them! I swear trying to find your own kid(s) amongst all the others in a playground/park is like an anmiated Where's Wally!

As for the speaking bit I had a cracker from Sebastian (3) yesterday. I'd come in from work and done my usual disrobing to get out of the sweaty/rain drencned clothes and the first thing I had to hand was my dressing gown. Whilst I was sitting down on the sofa trying to read them a book he's jumped off and pointed and my crotch and gone "PENIS!"
    "yes well done!" I say as which point he points to his and says "penis like me!"
    Amazing how fast they pick things up :-)

Another great point is a child's logic, often they'll say things or make observations that make you laugh and wonder why you've never looked at it that way :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:

+1 Mine's like a walking dictaphone at the moment.

DDD: Unless yours is one of those freakish babies that sleep through from 6 weeks, given the choice of sleep or some lovin' you'll choose sleep.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

+1 Mine's like a walking dictaphone at the moment.

DDD: Unless yours is one of those freakish babies that sleep through from 6 weeks, given the choice of sleep or some lovin' you'll choose sleep.

and if you're really lucky you'll get to sleep with your wife rather than having to take turns :wink:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    DonDaddyD wrote:

How do you cope!?

In your dreams; 7 years later and I still wouldn't class, this as normal service
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    question to the lads and those who don't have normal service but do have the energy as such. anyone talk to swmbo about said lack of nuptuals or do you suffer in silence and cry into pamela handerson's embrace instead?

or do a hambones... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • EKE_38BPM
    If you do go the Hambones route, at least us cyclists can honestly say "I'm just popping out for a ride." and coming home all sweaty before jumping into the shower is considered normal behaviour.

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    If you do go the Hambones route, at least us cyclists can honestly say "I'm just popping out for a ride." and coming home all sweaty before jumping into the shower is considered normal behaviour.

:lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My first daughter was great, slept through the night for the first time at 2 weeks old, and has barely got us up since she was a month old (I get up early anyway, so she would get fed before 6 on a weekday), the second was still getting us up regularily at 3 years.......

Normal service, easy, average 35 months between siblings (we were out by 4 days - best I could manage!), so take 10/11 months off that (allow for a few 'trial months!) and that is when the 'brood mare hormones' kick in and if you weren't tired before you soon will be!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    My first daughter was great, slept through the night for the first time at 2 weeks old, and has barely got us up since she was a month old (I get up early anyway, so she would get fed before 6 on a weekday), the second was still getting us up regularily at 3 years.......

Normal service, easy, average 35 months between siblings (we were out by 4 days - best I could manage!), so take 10/11 months off that (allow for a few 'trial months!) and that is when the 'brood mare hormones' kick in and if you weren't tired before you soon will be!

Simon

Arf. No. 1 didn't sleep through on anything more than a one off basis until 19 months. No. 2 is due at the beginning of October, and I'm hoping (nay, praying) he/she makes a better job of it. On the plus side, I have developed a taste for prescription-only strength coffee.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    question to the lads and those who don't have normal service but do have the energy as such. anyone talk to swmbo about said lack of nuptuals or do you suffer in silence and cry into pamela handerson's embrace instead?

or do a hambones...

OK firstly to get to this point, February was discombobulating! I want to get back to that.

Right now I'm constantly running a temperature slightly higher than normal... and I ain't sick.

Something I've observed; pregnant woman want it, nay, they need it to make themselves feel like it's not just about the baby. Well that's what I've observed. Men, me? Well the baby is moving, which means mine doesn't and her's a no go area.

Every man must have a solution they just aren't sharing.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    I think the 'solution' is to just get (TF) on with it (while you still can).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• EKE_38BPM
    DDD, I think you will just have to accept that your hymen will grow back.

• Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Wow, I have just found this thread!

Congratulations DDD & Mrs DDD. You have been a hero of mine and this crowns your status as the most sensible of people. Please do not try to 'overthink' things, just enjoy the ride :D
    The older I get the faster I was