donDADDYd

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
As it stands right now I'm gonna be a Dad. Baby is due in November.

To cap it all off I also proposed to Mrs DDD on her 30th birthday last month.

Happiest time of my life, can't believe my luck, so many good things are happening right now. Thankful for just being me and for all those around me and those who have helped me to become, well, me.

I'm a f*cking bag of nerves and I have as of yet not really let my guard down to give myself a moment to say wow and just enjoy it.

Still, the most beautiful and most amazing thing I've ever seen was my 20 week year old baby on the monitor during our scan. It's weird though, this 'Fatherhood' that looms. I don't feel older, I just feel more willing and able to appreciate life. I don't think you can ever be ready, prepared or sure what type of 'parent' you are going to be.

And there is a lot I've learned as well.

That said, during pregnancy I can't help but feel that Men are under appreciated. Yes all the physical changes are happening to the Woman, but there are or needs to be mental changes happening within the Man as well. Don't get me wrong, it should be about the Woman and rightly so. But whereas the Woman has support groups, help books, magazines etc helping her to understand what she has to do, needs to do and will be doing. There is nothing for the guy that explains that he will be feeling this or feeling depressed, scared, afraid, alone and you may find it difficult to talk about it because in our society there is an attitude of Men should shut up and get on with it. F*ck, sometimes I need a group hug too! I can't help feeling if Men were acknowledged more during pregnancy we wouldn't have as much single Mum's or want-away Fathers, that's not to say there aren't other issues involved in couples splitting up.

So that's part of the anxiety and as you can tell I'm almost completely self absorbed by 'Parenthood' and what is and will be required of me. Did I say bag of nerves, sometimes so anxious I can't talk about it or articulate it and other times it's an endless flurry of chaotic emotion pushing and pulling at each other as this post clearly demonstrates.

But ll that said I go through all of the above and all the chaotic emotions 100 times multiplied just to experience seeing my 20week old baby. Life is really a beautiful thing.

I'm going to be a Dad! And then I'm going to be a Husband, shit I haven't even thought about that yet! :shock:

Yay!
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    D+1?

Congrats :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Well done!! Congrats...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Chapeau!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Blimey, congrats x 2

Just the one bun in the oven, is it?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Well played!

So are we all invited to the Stag Do?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    As it stands right now I'm gonna be a Dad. Baby is due in November.

To cap it all off I also proposed to Mrs DDD on her 30th birthday last month.

Happiest time of my life, can't believe my luck, so many good things are happening right now. ....!

I suppose the good things will help counter the bad luck you relate above :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The marriage proposal wasn't the classic "You're f*%king what?" was it? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Welcome to a world of nappies, sleepless nights and no upgrades on your bike
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    Congratulations Mr D.

It gets better still when they arrive.

Re. the support, there's plenty of cycling Dads on here to talk to as well. Hell, maybe us SW London cycling dads should have a coffee morning or something :shock:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Nice one, it's the best thing ever!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Congrats DDD. You had best get down to the Morpeth whilst you are still (relatively) free.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    Secret Sam, it is just the one baby.

wbw, I haven't even thought about an engagement party yet. Soon to be Mrs DDD can't drink so she has no motivation to have one.

Paddy, it's actually impossible for me to be gay.

Spen, ha ha ha. That said, on the subject of bad luck, last month my car stopped working, glasses broke, microwave and internet router broke. Not end of the world stuff, mind.

I had asked her Dad for her hand last X-mas, had intended to do it Valentines day - that was pregnancy month and I couldn't find the ring I wanted (it's not bling city but it had to be right). So I waited until her birthday as it felt right.

Looking forward to the sleepless nights, nappies etc. I still haven't quite grasped the concept of no upgrades (or those that claimed you can no longer by non-essential goods). I still have a - heavily reduced - disposable, so instead of Fulcrums 1's I'll save for Fulcrum 7's when they go in the sale...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Congratulations on both counts - well done you!

Now if you could just get rid of that mouse, life would be perfect in DDDVille!

Knowing your propensity for lengthy posts, I'm sure we'll all be kept informed of progress on weddings and DonBabyD. I look forward to reading!

Top work!
  • DonDaddyD
    Congrats DDD. You had best get down to the Morpeth whilst you are still (relatively) free.

Yes Mrs DDD aka "PreggerZord" advised this. :shock:
    Re. the support, there's plenty of cycling Dads on here to talk to as well. Hell, maybe us SW London cycling dads should have a coffee morning or something

You might be onto something because I'm still trying to factor in when I can ride Karen.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I had asked her Dad for her hand...

Excellent - a man who does things properly.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You might be onto something because I'm still trying to factor in when I can ride Karen.

Who is Karen, does PreggerZord know about her? Another Hambones thread? :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Congrats!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes Mrs DDD aka "PreggerZord" advised this. :shock:
    Re. the support, there's plenty of cycling Dads on here to talk to as well. Hell, maybe us SW London cycling dads should have a coffee morning or something

Birthdays and Fathers Day, I reckon, at least for the first couple of years. Get in some decent rides before the littl'un arrives.

Oh, and don't forget that for the first few years, you will have to get the Mother's Day card and present from junior.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:

Oh, and don't forget that for the first few years, you will have to get the Mother's Day card and present from junior.

That was established this mothers day. I was firmly told that next year Mrs DDD will be getting a card and chocolates from the baby as well.
    Food Chain number = 4

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Many congratulations. Now, get some sleep. You're going to need it.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    That said, during pregnancy I can't help but feel that Men are under appreciated. Yes all the physical changes are happening to the Woman, but there are or needs to be mental changes happening within the Man as well. Don't get me wrong, it should be about the Woman and rightly so. But whereas the Woman has support groups, help books, magazines etc helping her to understand what she has to do, needs to do and will be doing. There is nothing for the guy that explains that he will be feeling this or feeling depressed, scared, afraid, alone and you may find it difficult to talk about it because in our society there is an attitude of Men should shut up and get on with it. F*ck, sometimes I need a group hug too! I can't help feeling if Men were acknowledged more during pregnancy we wouldn't have as much single Mum's or want-away Fathers, that's not to say there aren't other issues involved in couples splitting up.

WTF is this bag o' shite all about? Pregnancy is when you get a designated driver at your beck and call. Your job is to watch tv, have a good time and sometimes look sympathetic (before asking her to move out of the way of the telly, and what's for supper).

Dude, it's a marathon, not a sprint. You *really* don't want to be burning all your matches in the opening 10 minutes.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Looking forward to the sleepless nights, nappies etc.

I think that's one that we'll have quoted for posterity...

See that stick heading off into the distance? Notice how much it looks like a boomerang...?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:

that was pregnancy month and I couldn't find the ring I wanted

Yep, if you'd found the ring you wanted it wouldn't have been pregnancy month! :lol:

Sorry, 'm late to this thread, I'm sure someone beat me to that one. Congratulations anyway, no need for self help groups for men the anonymity of the internet means countless blokes on here will happily share all the girly baby advice you could ever need.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Congrats! Also well done on asking your future father in law for his permission - classy move.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Congratulations, I think*.

And what Greg said about sleep. Do it now and do it often.

*currently divorcing; very costly.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Congratulations!

Remember having a nipper doesn't have to mean the end of cycling- plenty of people I ride with on Friday Night Rides and other socials have babies and toddlers.

I'd suggest avoiding your bikes' names for the baby. 'I'm going to degrease Karen' could cause some upset! :wink:
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Sewinman wrote:
    Congrats! Also well done on asking your future father in law for his permission - classy move.

I don't get this - she isn't a chattel! Haven't we moved on from that sort of thing?!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    BigMat wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I don't get this - she isn't a chattel! Haven't we moved on from that sort of thing?!

Chattel no. Correct form yes.

Congratulations my man
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Congrats...

Kids are fun... and before you know it they've grown up and moved on... enjoy every minute of it, even the bad times...

Now waiting for generation 2 .... I think...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • EKE_38BPM
    What would the various askers of the father's permission do if said father said 'no'?

I see that there are four options:
    1) Don't ask permission - then father can't say no. Get married anyway. Father may resent this.
    2) Ask permission and father says yes - you then know father approves of you and is happy with you being part of the family. No downside to this scenario.
    3) Ask permission and father says no - you then know father doesn't approve of you and is not happy with you being part of the family and you don't get married. In this case you need to MTFU. Faint heart never won fair maiden and all that.
    4) Ask permission and father says no - you then know father doesn't approve of you and is not happy with you being part of the family, but you don't care and marry her anyway. Pretty much guarantees that father will never like you so you may as well speak crudely about ploughing his daughter, how much she loves it and show him a picture of her face splattered more than a painter and decorator's radio. You (and maybe her) will be written out of father's will.

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Or just club her and drag her into the bushes by the hair? Truth is that unless you're really badly mis-reading the situation you're asking because you know the answer is yes, and by asking (permission to ask) you are making the father know that you respect him and by extension his daughter. Which makes him feel good.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Or drag her from a club by the bush?!

Simon, you haven't answered what you would do if the father says no.