TDF Stage 1 **SPOILERS**

12345679»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If we're being facetious, and why not, we're internet forum people, the 3km rule shouldn't have been enforced on stage 1, since stage 1 finished on a categorised climb. The 3km rule is, officially anyway, applicable only to flat stages.

However, Tour organisers being Tour organisers, can do whatever the hell they want.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    If we're being facetious, and why not, we're internet forum people, the 3km rule shouldn't have been enforced on stage 1, since stage 1 finished on a categorised climb. The 3km rule is, officially anyway, applicable only to flat stages.
    However, Tour organisers being Tour organisers, can do whatever the hell they want.
    No, you're taking shortcuts. Yes, that is [roughly] the criteria the organisers use, but they decide and announce in advance which stages this will mean. This year it is 4, 8, 12, 14, 18 and 19 (as well as, obviously but still stated in the rules, the tt stages 2 and 20).
    The (anglo) media ballsed up on Saturday by not knowing this and by happily going off air announcing the chip times as the actual times rather than worrying about where the crash was and what this would mean.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited July 2011
    No, you're taking shortcuts. Yes, that is [roughly] the criteria the organisers use, but they decide and announce in advance which stages this will mean. This year it is 4, 8, 12, 14, 18 and 19 (as well as, obviously but still stated in the rules, the tt stages 2 and 20).
    The (anglo) media ballsed up on Saturday by not knowing this and by happily going off air announcing the chip times as the actual times rather than worrying about where the crash was and what this would mean.

I'm just saying what de Cauwer was saying on Saturday evening, after he thumbed through the rulebook after the stage. *shrugs*

FWIW, Boogerd was of the opinion the 3km shouldn't have been enforced.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

To be fair to the "anglo" media, ASO themselves dramatically revised the stage timings on their own website several times on Saturday afternoon.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    LangerDan wrote:

To be fair to the "anglo" media, ASO themselves dramatically revised the stage timings on their own website several times on Saturday afternoon.

so the media, whose job it is to explain the race to use, should parrot the provisional times off a website whilst they wait for them to be amended in a wholly predictable fashion laid down in an easy to follow rule book, rather than tell us what that rule book says and make some predictions, even tentative ones, about what the final results will look like? don't think so. every time the 3km rule is applied, the provisional results get amended. this is the whole point of the rule.
    the media took their eye off the ball, and are now peddling this "dramatically changing website" story to cover themselves.
    It was hardly a complicated scenario. There was a crash under the 2km banner. The 3km rule is well known and easy to apply. Noone explained it.

They did it again yesterday. Imlach asked Boardman "who gets yellow" and he answered something like "well, I thought it would be the first rider across the line from the winning team, but the linesmen here tell me this isn't the case".
    If you are going to be on national TV explaining the rules of a sporting event, you should know them, not show up and say "I guessed x but someone told me y so now I'm not so sure".
    It suits them to create the impression that there is no rules and the organisers make it up as they go along. But it's a failure to do their job properly. It meant people switched off on Saturday with no idea what the GC looked like and it meant people sat through a team time trial yesterday with no idea what the significance of the times and placings would be.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    just reading CN and saw this about the appeal..
    Bjarne Riis confirmed that the team had considered launching a formal appeal, but decided not to do so after discussions with race official and commissaires on Saturday evening.
    cartoon.jpg
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    G

Contador will have to demonstrate pure class and dominance and CRUSH these LUCKY riders in the TT and mountains.

If the shoe had been on the other foot, would you have been saying that only a champion avoids crashes?

Contador's position in the bunch was suspect, he paid the price for that.

Absolutely not. It is a total luck thing, zero talent. I would be annoyed if any big GC rider got caught out.

I hope any GC contender who put their team on the front after the crash suffers a misfortune amounting to just over 1min.

Hold on a minute you got your wish though as earlier in the year you said you hoped Contador lost time in crash and made it up in the mountains well now he will have to do just that............really cant see why you are acting like a big girls blouse over it.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !