TDF Stage 1 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    edited July 2011
    Sorry double post
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Looks like Cavendish was involved in the second crash too, he is only 6 seconds down, along with swift. Bizarrely some people who got dropped from the front group on the last climb after the crash also got given +6 seconds too, such as EBH and the two celebrating Lotto riders.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    LangerDan wrote:
    It'll be Martin, not Thomas in yellow after tomorrow, surely?

Thomas, from Taaramae and Silin.

Conehead is too old

Too old for yellow? :?

Brain fart - I'd read "white" for "yellow"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2011
    The big losers (of possible top 10ers) seem to be:

Contador +1'20
    Sanchez (S and LL) +1'20
    Hesjedal +1'55
    Kreuziger +1'55
    Gadret +1'55
    Kern +1'55
    Vande Velde +3'41
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Uran, Danielson and Ryder H all lost 1:55
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    According to Cyclingnews, Cav wasn't in first crash, or second crash, but suffered a mechanical in last 3km...
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Looks like Cavendish was involved in the second crash too, he is only 6 seconds down, along with swift. Bizarrely some people who got dropped from the front group on the last climb after the crash also got given +6 seconds too, such as EBH and the two celebrating Lotto riders.

Yeah it looks a little odd - Griepel who did a big turn and then blew too. I wonder if it will be rejigged again. The number of HTC guys who lost big time in the 2nd crash suggests some of them may have come down quite hard which might not go so well tomorrow in the TTT (How does Goss lose 5 minutes in 3km!)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • RichN95.

Cavendish benefited quite a bit today. Hushovd and Rojas were the only sprinters to pick up points at the finish. Some expected the likes of Petacchi and Farrar to score.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Yay poetic justice is restored!! Crashgate will dominate forums for months Mwah ha!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cogidubnus
    http://www.marca.com/deporte/ciclismo/t ... icaciones/

Shows chaotic the finish line was. Brad finished after Bertie but was a minute up in the end.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:

Kern +1'55
    Vande Velde +3'41

Not a good day for Garmin; Ryder, CVV and Tommy D lost big.

Or my PTP with my GC pick at 1.55!

Strava is not Zen.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It's already set up to be a more interesting race than last year (as long as they don't keep revising the times). After the TTT tomorrow Bertie will probably be even further behind some of the top 5 contenders.

Sky won't have a better chance to claim the yellow jersey than tomorrow. Over 23km it's going to be uber close though.
  • RichN95.
    jibberjim wrote:
    The number of HTC guys who lost big time in the 2nd crash suggests some of them may have come down quite hard which might not go so well tomorrow in the TTT (How does Goss lose 5 minutes in 3km!)

There's no need for them to rush. They can amble in like tourists. It doesn't matter when they actually finish.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Great start to the Tour, Wiggo had me going there for a moment until they said it was within the 3k. Bravo Gilbert, great win.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Feel a wee bit sorry for Cadel. Works sensibly with his team to keep him out of trouble in the last 50km, gives it a good kick at the finish and still ends up only 3 seconds ahead of some GC contenders who couldn't keep up in the top 50 on the road.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    calvjones wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Kern +1'55
    Vande Velde +3'41

Not a good day for Garmin; Ryder, CVV and Tommy D lost big.

Or my PTP with my GC pick at 1.55!
    Vande Velde @ 1.55
  • Gragi
    Gragi Posts: 448
    3km rule. A schleck wiggo etc went down in the second crash which was within 3km of finish. They got credited same time as bunch they were in.
    Contador fell outsideof the 3km zone- proof that maybe therenis a God afterr all?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Saw this quote on the guardian:

"Part of me thinks Le Tour is an unwatchable freak show, full of people dicing with death on roads that bikes weren't supposed to go up nor down and off road with cocktails of exotic substances men weren't supposed to consume,"

"And the casualty count - physically and mentally - is there for all to see. But the other part of me thinks Le Tour is like a gothic cathedral, so beautiful that one can forget, well almost, the cost in blood and treasure that went into its construction. I'm still not sure which way to jump."
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Had to watch slightly delayed due to family stuff, but I really enjoyed that. Gilbert immense as usual and hopefully Contador losing time will create a more open race (especially if he loses some more time in the TTT tomorrow) as he can still win, but is going to have do quite a lot of work just to get back on par with some of his rivals.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    RichN95 wrote:

Cavendish benefited quite a bit today. Hushovd and Rojas were the only sprinters to pick up points at the finish. Some expected the likes of Petacchi and Farrar to score.

Yes, and Hushovd and Rojas didnt score at the intermediate sprint point. Petacchi was caught behind the first crash by the looks of things, thought he could have struggled up to bag a few points. As it stands Cav is 25 points down on Hushovd.
  • cogidubnus
    Saw this quote on the guardian:

"Part of me thinks Le Tour is an unwatchable freak show, full of people dicing with death on roads that bikes weren't supposed to go up nor down and off road with cocktails of exotic substances men weren't supposed to consume,"

"And the casualty count - physically and mentally - is there for all to see. But the other part of me thinks Le Tour is like a gothic cathedral, so beautiful that one can forget, well almost, the cost in blood and treasure that went into its construction. I'm still not sure which way to jump."

Well i'm with paragraph 2
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's no need for them to rush. They can amble in like tourists. It doesn't matter when they actually finish.

Yes, but normally riders are keen to get to the finish to recover etc. no-one else took that long - it could be simply that he didn't have a bike so had to wait longer to get one.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The finish makes Cav's chat about being able to do something today laughable.

He was never going to.

Most dissapointing today was Boonen, who was midly rubbish in the intermediate sprint and very rubbish in the finale.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    The finish makes Cav's chat about being able to do something today laughable.

He was never going to.

Most dissapointing today was Boonen, who was midly rubbish in the intermediate sprint and very rubbish in the finale.
    From Cav's Twitter
    '1st stage done. We had bad luck. @mattgoss1985 crashed with 2km to go, I swerved to miss said crash, clipped wheel on barrier & punctured.'
  • cogidubnus

Thank goodness I only put 50p on him :)

Last of the big spenders up here in Yorkshire lol
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    mroli wrote:
    According to Cyclingnews, Cav wasn't in first crash, or second crash, but suffered a mechanical in last 3km...
    On Twitter Cav said he avoided one of the crashes and picked up a puncture in the process
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    contador to climb off before paris
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Unless he's ill or really injured I can't see that happening. Even if he loses another 3 seconds tomorrow he'll still only be 2 minutes down. If he's even close to his Giro form then he can take that time back in the mountains and the final TT.

Does anybody know if there are green jersey points available in the TTT tomorrow?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795

Unless he's ill or really injured I can't see that happening. Even if he loses another 3 seconds tomorrow he'll still only be 2 minutes down. If he's even close to his Giro form then he can take that time back in the mountains and the final TT.

Does anybody know if there are green jersey points available in the TTT tomorrow?

its not just the time but the pressure

booed across the line again
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Was anyone from crash 1 delayed by crash 2? Or was the road clear by the time the riders from crash 1 got to the site of crash 2?

It seems they were 30 seconds back at one point, but then ended up finishing over a minute (1:20) down. That's a lot of time lost in a short space?

Was also surprised to see them casually rolling in. Would have thought they would be caning it to try not to lose extra time.