Who's ready for the Marmotte?

123457»

Comments

• genki
    genki Posts: 305
    I'm finally back home after last Saturday's event, having taken a break in the Ardeches (which by the way offer superb cycling too and I'll be looking into the Ardechoise for next year).

It was my 4th attempt at the Marmotte, and after a 7:29, 7:33 and a 7:27 I finally found another gear and managed 7:09 this year (6:44 without the Glandon descent) :D . The cooler weather helped a lot I think, except I forgot to drink enough and got cramp for the first time :roll:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98149502

Great atmosphere once again, and depite saying 'never again' last week, the training has started for 2012...
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Great time genki - first class! I have to mention the 'cooler weather' though as for a hairy Scot is was a tad warm for me and I had spent a few days cycling in sunny provence before to get used to the heat.
    Brian B.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @genki - awesome time!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've done a little blog on my sponsors web site.

http://www.welovemountains.com/racing-t ... otte-2011/

Perhaps, of more interest is the link at the end of the article to my Garmin GPS data. I note that this type of data has been posted a couple of entries ago.

It may be of use to those contemplating entry next year as it allows an insight into more than one persons physiological experiences/sufferings!

Certainly a cracking event!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    NIce little report but it wont let me view the link - insufficient privileges..

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Brian B wrote:
    I have to mention the 'cooler weather' though as for a hairy Scot is was a tad warm for me and I had spent a few days cycling in sunny provence before to get used to the heat.

I dunno. Compared to the previous 3yrs I found it a lot less hot. 6C in Bourg at the start, my teeth were chattering on the Glandon descent and it was less of an oven on the Alpe. Maybe it was the breeze that helped.

In the Ardeches a few days later it was into the 30's in the shade and proper sticky tarmac hot in the sun 8)
  • NIce little report but it wont let me view the link - insufficient privileges..

Sorry about that. Should be sorted now.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    RickyG wrote:

@ londonlivvy, I ran out of SIS gels and had a Powerbar gel halfway up the Alpe. I had a very strong desire to vom it back up for the rest of the ride.

humn - rank stuff isn't it? I normally have High 5 but haven't seen it in France. Must be better organised next time I do something foolish.

On which subject, I'm thinking not the marmotte for next year, but any suggestions for a challenging mountain sportive that's got less then 5000 entrants?

I bring my Hi-5 with me in plastic bags when I ride in the Alps, plus a few cliff bars.
  • sampras38
    De Sisti wrote:
    My ride was a disaster. I got to the top of the first climb in 2 hours 16 minutes (on schedule). On the descent I felt cramp in the top of my right thigh. I had taken all precautions to avoid this, like using Nuun tablets and salt crystals in each bidon. The cramp stayed at bay during the long flattish stretch to the base of the Telegraph.

However, by the summit, it was back with a vengeance. Not only at the top of my right thigh, but the top of my left thigh too. This continued all the way to Alpe D'huez. I couldn’t pedal too hard as the pressure set the cramp off again. I had to walk for long periods, as the the mere act of pedalling kept on causing it to return.

I finished the ride 20 minutes outside the cut-off time (there were several coming in an hour after me).

I wish all manner of horrible things to happen to the camera crew on Alpe D'Huez, which
    took great delight in filming me when I was in agony due to an onset of cramp, which
    forced me to push my bike.

Can I ask a really stupid question?

How much training had you done?
  • MrZ
    MrZ Posts: 55
    sampras38 wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:
    My ride was a disaster. I got to the top of the first climb in 2 hours 16 minutes (on schedule). On the descent I felt cramp in the top of my right thigh. I had taken all precautions to avoid this, like using Nuun tablets and salt crystals in each bidon. The cramp stayed at bay during the long flattish stretch to the base of the Telegraph.

However, by the summit, it was back with a vengeance. Not only at the top of my right thigh, but the top of my left thigh too. This continued all the way to Alpe D'huez. I couldn’t pedal too hard as the pressure set the cramp off again. I had to walk for long periods, as the the mere act of pedalling kept on causing it to return.

I finished the ride 20 minutes outside the cut-off time (there were several coming in an hour after me).

I wish all manner of horrible things to happen to the camera crew on Alpe D'Huez, which
    took great delight in filming me when I was in agony due to an onset of cramp, which

Not so much a stupid question as a snotty nosed snide one methinks....?
  • sampras38
    MrZ wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:

Not so much a stupid question as a snotty nosed snide one methinks....?

Sorry, I should have explained a bit more.

I came from a tennis background before taking up cycling seriously, and prior to cycling I could play 3,4 or 5 hour matches in the heat without cramping once. Once I started cycling and getting into the longer distances such as the Wales Dragon etc, I started getting the odd bit of cramping. Nothing too serious, but just enough to stop me riding how I wanted to.

Then came all the research into hydration, salt etc and I tried a few different things. The only thing that worked was to train longer and harder and more regularly. Now I'm getting golds in most sportives and hardly ever cramp, even after 5 or 6 hour rides in the Alps.

I always hydrate well, always have, and found the only solution was to ensure my muscles were accustomed to the effort.

My silly fault for not explaining myself...;-)
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited July 2011
    I had cycled 3100 miles since Jan 1st, including 6 x 200km rides, 5 x 100 mile+ rides and several in
    70-80 mile range. Just because you don't sweat in the heat, it doesn't mean that everyone
    else shouldn't. Our bodies don't all cope exactly the same to heat. I sweat a LOT from exercise,
    and despite taking all necessary precautions (as mentioned up thread) I still suffered from
    cramp. I take umbrage at your insinuations that I didn't prepare enough (just as bad as the
    chap in France who said that I need to train more and race).

Yes, I am sensitive. :wink:
  • sampras38
    Blimey, don't know how to respond to that.
  • de_sisti
    Sampras 38, no hard feelings, really. I just got upset with "experts" telling me I should have
    done this, and done that to prepare for the event. If my hip operation is performed before 1st Oct,
    I'll be on the start line for next year's event. (Hip arthroscopy, has to be done by 14 Nov, the 18 week NHS deadline.)
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 241
    sampras38 wrote:
    Blimey, don't know how to respond to that.

I can sympathise with De Sisti here. Funnily enough I was out training in Thailand last winter and befriended an old pro tennis coach who was holidaying out there. He said that people who sweat as if they have just come out of the shower are not fit. It's simply not true - although it undoubtedly impairs performance as the temperature creeps up. And on a bike you only really notice this when climbing for long periods or when on a turbo.

I've yet to find a solution other than to keep the HR down and work at a less intense level. Having said that I'm surprised the heat at 1900m + at 9.30am would have that much of an effect. Maybe get a check up?
  • sampras38
    De Sisti wrote:
    Sampras 38, no hard feelings, really. I just got upset with "experts" telling me I should have
    done this, and done that to prepare for the event. If my hip operation is performed before 1st Oct,
    I'll be on the start line for next year's event. (Hip arthroscopy, has to be done by 14 Nov, the 18 week NHS deadline.)

Completely understand..and no problem.

;-)
  • de_sisti
    airwise wrote:

I've yet to find a solution other than to keep the HR down and work at a less intense level. Having said that I'm surprised the heat at 1900m + at 9.30am would have that much of an effect. Maybe get a check up?

According to my Suunto T6, my average hr for the Glandon climb was about 164.
  • I cramped on my practice ride on Wednesday and suffered from it for two days. Mainly because I cramped in turn 21 of the Alpe and had to get to the hotel which was on top... and stubbornly cycled up.

By turn 3 I had to get off the bike every five seconds because of the pain.

On race-day I took off as easily as I could. It took 2h25 to master the Glandon. The valley section was slow - nobody wanted to do any work here. On the Telegraphe, first corner: cramped. I drank all my water and stretched and somehow that worked miracles.

I took the Telegraphe easy but felt better and better on my way up to the Galibier. Not cramping anymore and I didn't feel a new attack coming either. So I could finally race to my potential here. Descent was lovely and my Alpe d'Huez ascent also went extremely well. I must have overtaken hundreds of others here. Lots were suffering while I felt fitter than I had felt all day.

All in all I came across the line in 10h49, net 10h04. Will do it again next year if my (now pregnant) wife allows me to leave her and the little one for a week.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    On race-day I took off as easily as I could. It took 2h25 to master the Glandon. The valley section was slow - nobody wanted to do any work here..

If I did it again the one lesson I'd learn is to go harder up and down the Glandon and not to stop for long at the first feed even if it is in a neutralised zone. I found the lack of people willing to do anything in the valley frustrating - not that they should work just for me of course but i felt like pushing on a bit there but relatively few others around seemed to want to do more than roll along. Talking afterwards the lads a little way down the road were in groups sharing the work doing 25mph plus along there.

Also is the first climb from Bourg the Glandon or do we climb the Croix de Fer and turn off and descend the Glandon - I never know what to call it ? I know the summit of the CDF is a bit further on as we went up there in the week.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I cramped at the top of the Galibier, left hamstring in the saddle, right calf out of the saddle. Fortunately it was on the last ramp to the top so stopped stretched and drank loads of water - I don't think I was dehydrated having consumed 2 bottles up Glandon, 1 on the descent and valley, 1-2 bottles up Telegraph, 1 bottle at the stop at Valloire, 1-2 bottles up Galibier.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    JZed wrote:
    I cramped at the top of the Galibier, left hamstring in the saddle, right calf out of the saddle. Fortunately it was on the last ramp to the top so stopped stretched and drank loads of water - I don't think I was dehydrated having consumed 2 bottles up Glandon, 1 on the descent and valley, 1-2 bottles up Telegraph, 1 bottle at the stop at Valloire, 1-2 bottles up Galibier.

Too much water? That's certainly way more than I had all day. Not that my approach should be followed!
  • jzed
    BigMat wrote:
    Too much water? That's certainly way more than I had all day. Not that my approach should be followed!

In hindsight it seems a lot. From memory only had one toilet stop at the top of the Glandon. Was sweating buckets at times, so think I was just replenishing what I was loosing.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    JZed wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

In hindsight it seems a lot. From memory only had one toilet stop at the top of the Glandon. Was sweating buckets at times, so think I was just replenishing what I was loosing.

Only mentioned it as I didn't replenish water until top of the Telegraphe, even then I probably had almost a full bottle left! You didn't chat to a Dulwich Paragon rider towards the top of the Glandon did you (or maybe it was the Telegraphe), I did sayhello to a couple of Kingston Wheelers.
  • jzed
    BigMat wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Only mentioned it as I didn't replenish water until top of the Telegraphe, even then I probably had almost a full bottle left! You didn't chat to a Dulwich Paragon rider towards the top of the Glandon did you (or maybe it was the Telegraphe), I did sayhello to a couple of Kingston Wheelers.

Yes towards the top of the Telegraphe briefly had a chat with a Dulwich Paragon rider. Don't remember much other than the initial "You're a long way from Kingston". Assume that was you. Gave a few shout outs to Dulwich riders along the way - seemed to be loads of you - friendly bunch too.
  • airg
    airg Posts: 4
    hello all, I did the marmotte with a mate a couple of weeks ago too. finally got round to writing it up. we finished a shade under 13 hours total, but had a great day out nonetheless http://marmotte11.blogspot.com/