Who's ready for the Marmotte?

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    anyone know where i can buy a marmotte jersey online?

didnt want to buy one before ide finished the thing

Was just about to ask the very same question. There were loads of options, but they'd packed up when we returned about lunchtime Sunday.

Have tried a few things in google, but can't see anything.
    exercise.png
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    TheStone wrote:

Was just about to ask the very same question. There were loads of options, but they'd packed up when we returned about lunchtime Sunday.

Hmm, there used to be a shop section on the sportcommunication website but it seems to 404 now. Email them? FWIW the clothing was made by dmtex.fr but they must have been custom designs as they aren't for sale there either...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    Hey,

What an awesome event. I rolled across the line 7:51 (door-to-door) and 7:18 exc the glandon; really pleased with that, especially as all i wanted was to finish. ( how many started the ride at DNF?)

Some on the guys were really really bad descenders. Ended up picking up a guy who went over the bars and into a car on the glandon descent ( did a good job at grazing his face and in a bit of shock) after sorting that passed a guy 200m further down the road who was in a bush by the side of the road. It all acted as a slight reality check.

Would definitely ride it again, maybe not next year......

Congratulations to all.
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    JonGinge wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Hmm, there used to be a shop section on the sportcommunication website but it seems to 404 now. Email them? FWIW the clothing was made by dmtex.fr but they must have been custom designs as they aren't for sale there either...

If you're on their mailing list you may in due course be sent a leaflet for next year's Sport Communication series of sportives, which includes a merchandise section. At least that happened to me, but that was half a dozen years ago – perhaps email only nowadays.
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    JonGinge wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

I speak French so have dropped an email to dmtex.fr asking please please to let me know if they have any marmotte stock left and how much. I'll let you know if they reply.
  • londonlivvy
    Oh and if you google Maillot Marmotte Acheter then a few second hand ones come up.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Well done to you all - chapeau even!

PS. Did anyone weigh JG's bike ...? defo not UCI legal :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    airbusboy wrote:
    after sorting that passed a guy 200m further down the road who was in a bush by the side of the road. It all acted as a slight reality check.

That may have been me - not the best place to get a front puncture...
  • jonginge
    BigMat wrote:
    airbusboy wrote:
    after sorting that passed a guy 200m further down the road who was in a bush by the side of the road. It all acted as a slight reality check.

Sheeeeeeet!

You alright, Mat?

@itb, shh (even lighter now with the Reynolds DV46T ULs...)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BigMat wrote:
    airbusboy wrote:

:shock: You ok, Mat?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Tim Sluman
    Tim Sluman Posts: 34
    BigMat wrote:
    airbusboy wrote:

:shock: or me! :) blew my front tyre clean off the rim in one of the tree cover sections of the Glandon .. 3 or 4 terrifying seconds riding the rim, staying upright was down to pure luck. Other than that the mountains were beautiful .. a stunning days riding

(note Schwalbe Ultremo on Campy Neutrons for anyone who want to avoid the same fate)
  • bigmat
    cjcp wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    airbusboy wrote:

I was very lucky - realised I wasn't going to be able to hold the front end round the hairpin so decided to just straighten up, slammed on the brakes and was able to guide myself into a fence post on the corner, had no idea what was over the slight embankment so figured I'd be better off colliding with the post than going straight over! As luck would have it, the post pretty much stopped the bike and I was able to unclip and run / roll over the edge into a very steeply banked filed (but not over a cliff face!). I don't bother with a HRM but if I did I reckon that it would have been off the scale at that point. Anyway, no major damage to the bike other than front puncture, dropped chain and rear wheel knocked slightly out of line (didn't realise until the top of the Telegraphe), I managed to dart across the road (not easy in cleats / with hundreds of descending bikes) to where there was a bit of room to replace the inner tube but unfortunately ended up in an electric fence that I hadn't spotted, then realised that my saddle bag was missing so had to dart back across the road and back down into the field to get it. Back to the bike, fixed the puncture and off again. Only hand pump PSI though, and shaken up a bit, so rode extremely gingerly for the remainder of the descent. Fortunately managed to find the Mavic service car and track pump before exiting the neutralised section!

The Galibier descent was similarly bad, was just beginning to get my mojo back when one of my bottles fell out and onto my chain at about 60kph, shook me up again and I decided then that I would be taking it very easy, both descents cost me a big wedge of time in the end but i scraped a gold medal time (8:36 / 7:47) so could have been worse. Not the greatest day on the bike all round, felt strangely flat - generally comfortable on all the climbs, but just didn't have that extra kick at any point and don't think my head was in the right place, was more concerned about just getting round than going for a time or heaven forbid actually enjoying it!
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    Does anyone have a link to the full PDF of results? Rather than just seeing my own. Was there before but seems to have dissappeared.

Also - how many starters were there in total?

The Glandon freaked me out as everyone just sat on their brakes the whole time so i had to as well. Not great after all the horror stories about tyres exploding..
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    For all you experienced Marmotters, when do they release the entries for next year and what's the easiest way to enter..SportsCommunication?

thanks
    Pistol
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    |From memory (so don't quote me on this) entries opened after new year - the French language entry entered a couple of days before english language but that may have been by accident rather than design. So long as you entered in the first 4-5 days you were OK - maybe a bit longer - it didn't sell out in a few hours sort of thing and there was plenty of notice on here about entering. Yes it's through the sportcommunication website.

First time I've done something like this and it was pretty straightforward - camped at Bourg and that was good too - they did make us book a whole week though so if you only there for a couple of days there may be better options.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I had a terrific day out. Really enjoyed it and it was a beautiful day. We spent far too much time at the top of Glandon because my friend broke his rear wheel and we were negotiating a replacement with the Mavic Engineer. I wasnt too bothered as we were in the neutral area so the clock had stopped. The bonus was we left as they were closing up and managed to descend the Glandon pretty much on our own. No idea how we would have done that in a pack. It was bad enough on our own.

I managed to climb each ascent without stopping, apart from a stop at Plan Lechat, where following a rendevouz with our car, I tucked into two bacon butties. Nice!

However, at the finish I got an 11.27 door to door with 10.12 excluding Glandon. So I was expecting a silver medal time . I got a bronze certificate (must have misread the timings), but got a gold medal, as they had run out of everything else. Something for everyone there...

and I did get a shirt in advance, but swore only to wear it if I completed the Marmotte. A bit of a gamble but a great incentive.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • londonlivvy
    @sampras38 Tickets went on sale in late November I think - I entered on 3rd Dec so keep an eye on here and sports communication around that time and you'll be fine.

@BigMat. HOLY COW that sounds scary. Very glad you got out of that one with nothing more than road rash.

@timmyflash - not sure - I saw signs for 5000-8999 in my pen but I don't have the excel doc any more to check total numbers and as you say, it seems to have disappeared from the site. Perhaps they're updating / correcting errors?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    edited July 2011
    Apologies for mistake on entries opening.

Think this is a full list of finishers - doesn't list DNFs

edit http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/resultat.php?annee=2011&parcours=1&cat=100&langue=1

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Never really thought I would complete this but on the basis of give it a go finished 10-13 official,10-49 door to door and a silver medal place.Like others may have said,it was all about pacing but when I saw riders stopping for a breather on the first climb it was clear there were many there without much clue of what was involved.Scary descent of the Glandon even when neutralised,several ambulance cases despite that,long hot valley trip but superb climb of the Telegraph.Managed to talk to several UK riders on the ride up and we had a car outside the main food stop in Valloire (Derby Mercury) so only had to pick up water twice.
    The Galibier was a sea of pain as expected but the new road surfacing(for the TDF later) meant a high speed descent in safety followed by the scariest section,entering the tunnels at speed in relative darkness to plunge back into the Oisans valley for the ascent of the Alpe.Need not say anything about that climb,it hurts too much to recall it,time will heal...Great day and well done to all who took part ,to whatever extent. :lol:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • RickyG
    RickyG Posts: 58
    I really enjoyed the day. Scraped under 10 hours door-to-door with 9h13m as my official time, which as a first timer I was really pleased with. Looks like I moved up over 800 places during the day so might have to make the effort to start a bit more towards the front if I do it again.

Spent most of the week beforehand and most of the ride with 'timmyflash'.

@ londonlivvy, I ran out of SIS gels and had a Powerbar gel halfway up the Alpe. I had a very strong desire to vom it back up for the rest of the ride.
    Strava name: Richard Gawthorpe
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Nevman, Was it you that I climbed Glandon with? I think you dived off to a Derby Mercury car just below Glandon. if it was, you certainly gave me loads of advice on pacing that really paid off later on.

I had my Tourmalet jersey on.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    not me Alanp23,must have been one of the clubmates,glad he assisted you-happy days eh?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • londonlivvy
    Right... I've had a reply about the marmotte jersey.

Some styles are still available, in some sizes. They have some of the ones with the large lettering on the back and some in black and bright green but none left of the red and black. I didn't see the jerseys so can't visualise them so not sure if her description helps. I've asked her to send me pics of what's available anyway. They'd cost 40 euros plus 15 P&P.

what size would you be? (according to the dmtex sizing chart?) PM me if you prefer.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Just got home as after the Marmotte as I went back to Provence for a few days cycling. Dont know where to start but all I can say is that it was the hardest but best day cycling that I have ever done.

Apart from the telegraph I had done every climb 7 years ago and knew what to expect and fueled accordingly the night before. I had also spent a few days before hand with Veloventoux and had beaten my previous PB up the Bedion side of the Ventoux without trying and knew I was on good form(for me anyway).

It was absolutely crazy at the start and the first half of the Glandon but me and my mate George who were riding together slowly worked our way through the crowd. The feed station was chaos and glad it was neutralised as it took a long time to safely put my bike down grab something to eat and a quick toilet break.

Took my time on the descent and saw a few nasty accidents and witnessed a few crazy cyclists. I really put in a effort along the valley and leap frogged 3 large groups and actually dragged them all together with me at the front for around 5-7km. A small group who had been sheltering took of like rockets on the telegraph and it took me a long time to haul them back in.

I struggled and went through personal hell on the last 3km of the Galibier but rallied round for the descent which was a bit scary through the tunnels with people trying to overtake when cars were coming and a crazy group from the netherlands singing all the way.

Had severe hotspots on my feet on the climb of the Alpe as did many others and slowly struggled up towards the end.

Official time for me and my mate was 8.20. I had a great time and met Glasgowbhoy from the forum and many other people on the road and at the end. I was the big scottish lad on the black storck bike with my mate George on the white storck.

Its a must for every cyclist to do as I'll never forget on the switchbacks of the Galibier looking down the valley and as far as I could see was a never ending train of cyclists and the same above me as well.

A big thank you to all at Veloventoux who again gave me another flawless holiday.
    Brian B.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Brian well done.
    Great day.

Must say it was the best cycling trip I ever had with Veloventoux.
    Cycling around there is superb and the Marmotte capped it all off...

Still on a high !!!

Paul
    Ashbourne CC
  • AdeCF
    AdeCF Posts: 2
    I'm in awe of those times. Well done to all and glad you had a good day out.

Officially I am a 'DNF' however I did finish, just before dark just after 10pm! Ascended Glandon with AlanP23, met our mate Phil at the top, sorted his wheel, descended and then the fun started. AlanP23 rode on (stronger than me) and I styaed with Phil.

The service bike had fitted him a wheel with a 23, so he was riding 34/23 (slightly higher than planned!). He suffers from altitude sickess too. Anyway, we stopped a lot on Galibier for him to breathe (always a good idea!), and eventually got to the top after being passed by the broom wagon and two coach loads full . Still plenty on the road at that time but suspect not many that were to finish. everyone we spoke to was finishing at Bourg.

I felt rough tne on the descent but fine by Alpe D. No-one else going up the alpe at that time but anyone who did come down and gee us on thank you! It helped for sure.

We were wearing white and red Team CF kit. That's the story from the back-end, we didn't get times, officially we are DNF I suspect, however we know we got there and the timing chip fella who had packed up came up to us, shook our hands had a good laugh, took his chip and gave us 10e each, and we have pictures to prove it taken by AlanP23! Great day. Maybe we were the last up, but who knows! Also rode with Derby chap up Glandon - nice chap, thank you fto all for support on the day and well done to the fast lads, feel I could have taken a couple of hours out of my time but no more, no way!
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Just wondering what makes the Glandon descent so bad? It seems to be singled out by many as particularly bad?

Just curious really, I'd like to do this ride one day! :)
  • jonginge
    Cubic wrote:
    Just wondering what makes the Glandon descent so bad? It seems to be singled out by many as particularly bad?

Just curious really, I'd like to do this ride one day! :)
    The descent isn't that bad, so long as you are sensible. The roads are relatively narrow and have quite a few blind bends. The problem on the day is congestion and people thinking they're pro riders on closed roads. As they say, Hell is other people ;)

@AdeCF Chapeau, sir! That length of time in the saddle is impressive in itself no matter the route.

@LL I managed to get one of the black/red jerseys at registration (as a second-timer I had no qualms about buying before the event). They're pretty nice.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BigMat wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    airbusboy wrote:

I was very lucky - realised I wasn't going to be able to hold the front end round the hairpin so decided to just straighten up, slammed on the brakes and was able to guide myself into a fence post on the corner, had no idea what was over the slight embankment so figured I'd be better off colliding with the post than going straight over! As luck would have it, the post pretty much stopped the bike and I was able to unclip and run / roll over the edge into a very steeply banked filed (but not over a cliff face!). I don't bother with a HRM but if I did I reckon that it would have been off the scale at that point. Anyway, no major damage to the bike other than front puncture, dropped chain and rear wheel knocked slightly out of line (didn't realise until the top of the Telegraphe), I managed to dart across the road (not easy in cleats / with hundreds of descending bikes) to where there was a bit of room to replace the inner tube but unfortunately ended up in an electric fence that I hadn't spotted, then realised that my saddle bag was missing so had to dart back across the road and back down into the field to get it. Back to the bike, fixed the puncture and off again. Only hand pump PSI though, and shaken up a bit, so rode extremely gingerly for the remainder of the descent. Fortunately managed to find the Mavic service car and track pump before exiting the neutralised section!

The Galibier descent was similarly bad, was just beginning to get my mojo back when one of my bottles fell out and onto my chain at about 60kph, shook me up again and I decided then that I would be taking it very easy, both descents cost me a big wedge of time in the end but i scraped a gold medal time (8:36 / 7:47) so could have been worse. Not the greatest day on the bike all round, felt strangely flat - generally comfortable on all the climbs, but just didn't have that extra kick at any point and don't think my head was in the right place, was more concerned about just getting round than going for a time or heaven forbid actually enjoying it!

Unlucky, Mat. Good job it didn't end worse than that. I wondered if you'd had a mechanical or something - I was half-expecting you to come steaming past me up the Galibier at the latest.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    cjcp wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    airbusboy wrote:

Unlucky, Mat. Good job it didn't end worse than that. I wondered if you'd had a mechanical or something - I was half-expecting you to come steaming past me up the Galibier at the latest.

Not sure I was steaming past anybody, I did crawl past lots of people though! :lol: