Who's ready for the Marmotte?

Comments

• Anyone with experience of a high dorsal number and how long you have to wait?
    Myself and friends are all numbered 6000+ and someone mentioned they waited over an hour last year with a number around 4000. Does everyone have to show up for the start time of the first riders or if it is going to take over an hour to get to the high numbers can you arrive at 8.30 (and enjoy a bit of a lie in and normal breakfast)?
    There are some decent riders amongst us who would normally be going for a sub-8hr time but we are guessing starting so far back will mean massive congestion on the Glandon.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    From memory (2009) there are officials/helpers at the entrance to each pen. They check
    your numbers to ensure your number is correct for each enclosure. You may end up at
    the front/middle/back of your area, but you have to wait until the enclosures move off before
    you can.

Your time won't start until you cross the start mat. Anyhow, if you're after a sub 8 hour time,
    you'll probably be able to ride quickly and overtake riders as you approach the first climb and
    pick off the riders one by one. I don't think they're going to spread themselves across the
    road to stop you and your mates getting a fast time. :wink:
  • De Sisti - thanks, hitting the Glandon with 6000 riders already on it will be interesting. What I'm still wondering is if it takes over an hour from the starting gun to get going (assuming dorsal numbers of 6000+ will be among the last to leave), is there any need to be in your designated pen early? I hear those with lower numbers show up early to be towards the front of their pens which is fine if you are in the front 1000 or so. However if you are not likely to be clipping in and rolling until after 8.00 am it seems crazy to be there for the official start getting cold and stiff.
    Or do you have to be in your pen by the start gun?

Anyone know?
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    De Sisti - thanks, hitting the Glandon with 6000 riders already on it will be interesting. What I'm still wondering is if it takes over an hour from the starting gun to get going (assuming dorsal numbers of 6000+ will be among the last to leave), is there any need to be in your designated pen early? I hear those with lower numbers show up early to be towards the front of their pens which is fine if you are in the front 1000 or so. However if you are not likely to be clipping in and rolling until after 8.00 am it seems crazy to be there for the official start getting cold and stiff.

Anyone know?

You can always ask them at the signing-in on Friday. The last couple of years I've been in the 401-2500 pen and it's taken only a few minutes to get over the start line. For the first few flat miles I've seen loads of riders heading towards us, to the start at Bourg, so it may well be there are official later start times.
  • Will do. Leaving this morning to drive up from Denia, Spain. Going to stop off to ride Ventoux on the way. Best of luck to everyone doing the event.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Will be leaving for France later today, good luck everyone hope you have a great ride!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    We're not off till Thu evening.
    Number 4619. Should be wearing my old red top as modelled by my avatar..

Feeling a bit better about it. Now upto 4500km for the year so far, but not dropped below 88kg which seems too much to get over those climbs.

Aim to just get round. 13hrs would be fine.

Weather looking good. 24C, which is hot, but could be a lot worse.
    exercise.png
  • current weather is very warm - yesterday about 34 at bottom of Alpe D'Huez and 30 at top. There are no clouds in the sky at all today - expect thunder later this week if it carries on ;-}. The bike shop in Bourg has sold 34 compact/triple so far and the new one in the Alpe (just on right as you enter AdH) has sold 9. I put on my triple and and getting bike shop to fix the bloody thing! I'll be mostly wearing Verulam CC kit if you see me.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'm really hoping the temperature drops a little - so long as it stays dry for the descents - I can do cold but having raced (ok perhaps raced up is exaggerating - I was in a race and others raced up it) up Angel Bank in 29 degree heat yesterday I hate to think what another 5 degrees on top would feel like.

The amount of sweat must have washed sun lotion into my eyes too and for the last 15 miles or so they were stinging quite badly which isn't a problem I've had before - I really don't think I could have ridden another 70 odd miles like that - lesson for the Marmotte I'm going to be a bit more conservative with slapping the stuff on around my forehead and eyes.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • GerardR
    GerardR Posts: 4
    Have a nice time, everyone: it's wet & windy here in NZ.

I'm at least lucky enough to be coming up in August to ride the length of the Pyrénées with Pyractif, but would like to do la Marmotte & to ride up Ventoux before I die (but not just before).
  • malcolmfrost
    malcolmfrost Posts: 211
    Todays forecast and outlook for Saturday:
    http://france.meteofrance.com/france/meteo?PREVISIONS_PORTLET.path=previsionsville%2F380520%2F20110627150000
    Looks like a big cool down and at 6C per 1000m of height it could be cold at the top.
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    Todays forecast and outlook for Saturday:
    http://france.meteofrance.com/france/meteo?PREVISIONS_PORTLET.path=previsionsville%2F380520%2F20110627150000
    Looks like a big cool down and at 6C per 1000m of height it could be cold at the top.

i think i'd take cold over hot. my weak body isn't used to the heat....
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Well, if the forecast is correct that will suit me just fine.

@Tom Butcher - I seem to recall you ride with Derby Mercury? Are there many of you in the Marmotte? I live in Etwall and am a member of South Pennine RC. I will give you a shout if I see you

Good luck all

Rich
  • Tim Sluman
    Tim Sluman Posts: 34
    De Sisti - thanks, hitting the Glandon with 6000 riders already on it will be interesting. What I'm still wondering is if it takes over an hour from the starting gun to get going (assuming dorsal numbers of 6000+ will be among the last to leave), is there any need to be in your designated pen early? I hear those with lower numbers show up early to be towards the front of their pens which is fine if you are in the front 1000 or so. However if you are not likely to be clipping in and rolling until after 8.00 am it seems crazy to be there for the official start getting cold and stiff.

Anyone know?

No need top be there for 7am, if your allocated start time is 7.30 or 7.50

I'm starting at 7.50 and will role up to the start line about 7.30-7.40 ish, you'll get directed round the back of the town by the many marshalls on hand according to your dossard number to your start pen.

Enjoy!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Assuming with dossard 5391 I'll be a 7.50 start. Can't find the start time on any of the stuff I've printed.
  • malcolmfrost
    edited June 2011
    If it's like last year, coming from AdH turn left after the supermarket, past the Colporteur campsite, turn right and you'll be in the line up just the other side of the river.
  • Calvia
    Calvia Posts: 17
    Anyone have any experience of what food they have on offer at the food stops?

Just trying to plan on how much to stuff my pockets with!!
  • malcolmfrost
    Baguettes (3inch) with cheese and ham from recollection, orange slices, bananas, cake.......
    The feed station at the top of the Glandon was a nightmare, so I might go straight through on what I can carry and feed at Valloire.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Tim Sluman wrote:

Anyone know?

No need top be there for 7am, if your allocated start time is 7.30 or 7.50

I'm starting at 7.50 and will role up to the start line about 7.30-7.40 ish, you'll get directed round the back of the town by the many marshalls on hand according to your dossard number to your start pen.

Enjoy!

Tim, I hope both you and I have a more successful ride this time. My breathing/ashtma
    problems as well as my back pain seem to be under control.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Rich.H wrote:
    Well, if the forecast is correct that will suit me just fine.

@Tom Butcher - I seem to recall you ride with Derby Mercury? Are there many of you in the Marmotte? I live in Etwall and am a member of South Pennine RC. I will give you a shout if I see you

Good luck all

Rich

There's about 15 of us riding it - most of them are already out there - I'm setting out early hours of Wednesday.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • thenumber8
    thenumber8 Posts: 68
    Baguettes (3inch) with cheese and ham from recollection, orange slices, bananas, cake.......
    The feed station at the top of the Glandon was a nightmare, so I might go straight through on what I can carry and feed at Valloire.

I would recommend that. The Glandon feed station is carnage. Better to not waste time there, crack on with the descent and stop at the next feed station which is at the bottom of the Telegraph.
  • thenumber8
    thenumber8 Posts: 68

I would recommend that. The Glandon feed station is carnage. Better to not waste time there, crack on with the descent and stop at the next feed station which is at the bottom of the Telegraph.
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    Was that a Kingston Wheelers jersey spray painted on the Alpe? Nice.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Just come back from riding most of the route, but not doing the whole thing until next year.

Can't wait.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    timmyflash wrote:
    Was that a Kingston Wheelers jersey spray painted on the Alpe? Nice.

:lol:
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    So, how did it go?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Took it easy up the Glandon, then flew up the Telegraphe and half way up the Galibier I was thinking this is easy and still felt great right up to the Alpe and then went pop! 9 hrs 20 for me, first time.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    7:23 for me official time, 7:56 door to door including the glandon. not bad for a grandad on his first go i thought...well, until i just read there were 718 people ahead of me as per the xls results spreadsheet posted on the website ... TDF teams wont be calling me in this lifetime..
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    Congrats grandad.

Wheres the spreadsheet? Keen to see how i placed overall - 10:07 door to door. Pretty pleased.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    The results are here: http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... p?langue=2

Very happy with my door to door time of 7:33:45 and official time of 7:05:11. Everything went so much better than last year when I started cramping on the telegraph... I even managed a sprint to the line, much to the amusement of the crowd :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides