Who's ready for the Marmotte?

Comments

• Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    farmgirl wrote:
    Anyone heard any weather forecasts yet?

Looks like being very hot early next week for anyone hoping to get some last minute training in over there - hopefully this will be swept away later in the week. Too far ahead to talk about next weekend yet.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i've got 4 nights at ventoux witht he below weather forecast. hopefully that will sort out my acclimatisation and not just destroy me

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Saint-Léger-du-Ventoux-FRPA0544
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    36x27 should be fine and not far off my 34x26 that I barely use on any climb ...use 34x23 or 34x25 cogs max usually. For reference Im quite light but over 40..
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Would it be wrong to bring some headphones for the climbs?
    ... if only to drown out the sound of the broom wagon?
    exercise.png
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    Scared. My knee is giving me massive jip and I've not been on the bike much this year.....it will be painful I'm sure. My first time in that area.

Just ordered an Ultegra 11-28 and new chain, I'm hoping that this'll see me through!

I'm really fretting about the technical descents but I imagine that after those climbs I will just be thankful to be going downhill. Let's hope.

For those that have done this before; any tips for descending the Glandon et al???

PS I'll be in London Phoenix kit, red and black(!)....the bearded one.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Only the Glandon descent is particularly technical. Best advice is to relax. On the straights look down the road so you can prepare for the corners. In the bends, look where you want to go not where you're afraid you'll end up. If you can let the bike flow, over-braking can cause a whole new set of issues.

If you're going a few days in advance then a bit of downhill practice can bouy your confidence.

FWIW I really enjoyed the Glandon descent last year :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I was looking at a report someone put up on the web - he got a decent time 7 hours something - he had his ride stats there and max speed was only something around 42mph - I was surprised it wasn't more.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • simon johnson
    JonGinge wrote:
    Only the Glandon descent is particularly technical. Best advice is to relax. On the straights look down the road so you can prepare for the corners. In the bends, look where you want to go not where you're afraid you'll end up. If you can let the bike flow, over-braking can cause a whole new set of issues.

If you're going a few days in advance then a bit of downhill practice can bouy your confidence.

Cheers JG, the only thing close to a proper descent for me was the Dragon this year on the Bwlch (2nd time in the wet!) so I don't have much experience. I will just try to stay relaxed...I guess another concern is descending in the company of others.

I'm thinking of preparing a laminated route card with essential bits on such as feed stops, tunnels etc Any advice? can I get this stuff on the organiser's website?
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • simon johnson
    I was looking at a report someone put up on the web - he got a decent time 7 hours something - he had his ride stats there and max speed was only something around 42mph - I was surprised it wasn't more.

Probably weighed about six stone! Not much to carry up but not much to throw him down.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

Cheers JG, the only thing close to a proper descent for me was the Dragon this year on the Bwlch (2nd time in the wet!) so I don't have much experience. I will just try to stay relaxed...I guess another concern is descending in the company of others.

I'm thinking of preparing a laminated route card with essential bits on such as feed stops, tunnels etc Any advice? can I get this stuff on the organiser's website?
    Marmotte Details:
    http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... rophee=128
    Route:
    http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... carte1.pdf

Basically, there are feed stops at the bottom and top of each climb. There are also a couple on the way up the Alpe.
    The only tunnels are on the descent of the Galibier. Glasses off before you go in is a good idea.

Good luck.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • simon johnson
    Great! Do you think a small set of lights (knogg lights) are overkill for the tunnels?
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • jonginge
    *shrugs* I did without last year but...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12784331
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 241

There's no really steep gradients on the course, there's loads of traffic, tunnels and idiots who don't know what they are doing. There are better places and days to go quick down hill :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    *Really* looking forward to this now.

No. 652, will be in Kingston Wheelers kit.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    JonGinge wrote:

Glandon has been neutralised this year-having seen the drop offs and mini parapet on Youtube it does mean you can relax a bit,but not entirely-keep an eye out for riders from behind and give them space to pass on each side.No point in arguing over the rules of the road here.Most of all enjoy the scenery as it passes by,the day will soon be over but impressions last for years.Forecast for 8-13c on top of A`dH next week
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    the Glandon decent isn't that dangerous I've been told by others....one mate said if you've done Italian sportives you know their decents are the most technical around. The Glandon will be easier of you. I've done some Italian sportives so not too worried but will pay particular attention.
  • gsk82
    just packed bike into bag for first time. did everyone else think there was no chance it could survive the first time they did it? im particlarly worried about the wheels which sem like they're gonna be getting bent against something
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Tom Butcher
    Anyone recommend travel insurance - not sure if doing the Marmotte might be a bit of a grey area for some - if I do have to claim don't want them telling me they don't cover events like that.

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gsk82 wrote:
    just packed bike into bag for first time. did everyone else think there was no chance it could survive the first time they did it? im particlarly worried about the wheels which sem like they're gonna be getting bent against something

Yep, thought the same as you. I used bubble wrap. I'm off to Wickes to get some pipe lagging to put round the tubes etc as well.

@Tom - got to check that today. Will let you know. I was going to buy some with Virgin Money yesterday until they said there's a limit of £1k for valuables i.e. the bike and wheels, so didn't buy it from them. They asked if the Marmotte was a race - I said no, a mass participation ride.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Dossard number 212 for me which means I'll get to see the front of the race, for about 5mins :P . I'm expecting to get overtaken by a few hundred riders on the Glandon, and then hopefully to see most of them again on the Telegraph/Galibier.

I'll probably be sporting a Brazil top and Luxembourg socks. Say hello if you go past me.
  • Tom Butcher
    cjcp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    j
    @Tom - got to check that today. Will let you know. I was going to buy some with Virgin Money yesterday until they said there's a limit of £1k for valuables i.e. the bike and wheels, so didn't buy it from them. They asked if the Marmotte was a race - I said no, a mass participation ride.

Thanks, I was thinking more health insurance though - I've got the EHIC card but I don't go abroad much so not sure if I need more than that ?

• gsk82
    i ended up getting virgin insurance. my bikes covered by the home insurance up to a grand, i'll just claim for the wheels seperately if there's a problem
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am number 2291 and have an 0730 start so will be pretty hectic on the Glandon as there will be a lot of people on the road.

Just a final question what do you need to present before getting your bib number as my last email said

My letter of confirmation
    A copy of 'Je roule Propre'
    I've got a medical cert

Is that it as I would not like any last minute surprises when I am over there.
    Brian B.
  • gsk82
    where are copies of this "je roule proper", i couldn't find one when i got the confirmation and gave up. the confirmation letter says its enclosed?

EDIT: found it using google, link below

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... p?langue=1
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Well I thought I was already to go until this was discovered on my Kharma on Monday.

IMG2501-M.jpg

IMG2500-M.jpg

Have spent the week trying to sort out a warranty replacement with the Kuota distrubutor. Long story, not really a satisfactory outcome but will be pressing Kuota next week and have a lovely 2011 upgrade to a Kebel Frame and Fork at half the retail price.

IMG2509-M.jpg

IMG2510-M.jpg

IMG2511-M.jpg

IMG2515-M.jpg

Beautiful looking frame and just finished building it up today and out on it tomorrow :D

Packing it is a nightmare I'm not ready to think about yet.....
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Brian B wrote:
    I am number 2291 and have an 0730 start so will be pretty hectic on the Glandon as there will be a lot of people on the road.

Just a final question what do you need to present before getting your bib number as my last email said

My letter of confirmation
    A copy of 'Je roule Propre'
    I've got a medical cert

Is that it as I would not like any last minute surprises when I am over there.

Glad I saw your post I did not know of the letter of confirmation or the the other thing! Thanks :wink:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • malcolmfrost
    malcolmfrost Posts: 211
    If you go here: http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/inscription.php?langue=2 and click "check my registration" all the forms are there to print except for "Je Roule Propre"
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Good to acclimatise today 6 hours in the 26 degrees heatwave, if it's in the thirties next week god help us.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    wicked wrote:
    Good to acclimatise today 6 hours in the 26 degrees heatwave, if it's in the thirties next week god help us.

:oops:
    Not really what I wanted to hear. It was pissing rain, windy and cold on my 3 hour run this morning in the Scottish Monsoon.
  • renrag1967
    renrag1967 Posts: 17
    It wasnt too windy and no persistent rain in Burnisland, little refreshing shower just! I did my final 10 times up n down the hill back to Dunfermline. Im heading down to London Tuesday then to Bourg on Wednesday. Camping LaPicine once more! Dont mind the heat as long as its dry. :)

.... nothing as fancy as beautiful looking Kuoto thing, my Trek 1500 triple is being rested this year and im taking down the new bike to work Boardman team road bike, stuck fulcrums 3's on it with a 11-28 cassette. Target as ever is just to finish in once piece!!!!
    Don't call me Shirley..