Cavendish to Sky

Comments

• cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Sorry I just read the post without looking at the context :)
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Eisel is a shoo in to join Cav. Wonder if Martin would join also.

Would be fun to see Grabsh yanking everyone along in Sky. Think that is 1 typ eof ride they will need with Cav... Someone who will have to tow the peloton around. They have riders who are in the lead out train day in day out.... so really cant see why they wont be doing that for Cav when they have more chance of "team wins".

Henderson, Pawuals, Hunt, Cioni are certain the leave.

Cant see them looking to drop Froome, Think they still think he can get up them mountains.

Will be interesting whether the Aussie guys who's contracts are up will choose to say, Sutton, Garrans & Hayman stay or go to Greenedge. Think Hayman will stay you get the impression he likes the setup same with Sutton but sutton will possibly be told he wont get as many opputunies to himself so would have to sign up for team duties.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Percy Vera wrote:
    According to DB Wiggo will win the Tour this year

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

What a joke.
  • TMR
    Actually, thinking about it, where does Dean Downing fit into Sky if they are likely to shed riders?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Actually, thinking about it, where does Dean Downing fit into Sky if they are likely to shed riders?

On the pavement watching his brother?

Seriously, I think they'll keep Russell. He does good work on the smaller races. It's not as though he'll ever get on the Tour team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    rebs wrote:
    Wonder if Martin would join also.

The rumour mill says he may be off to Rabobank.
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:

Seriously, I think they'll keep Russell. He does good work on the smaller races. It's not as though he'll ever get on the Tour team.

Thanks for the correction. I'm sat in Germany ATM learning how to manually pull out MFT entries using a Linux shell - brain's frazzled :(
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    rebs wrote:
    Wonder if Martin would join also.

The rumour mill says he may be off to Rabobank.

Rabo need a sprinter, 'cos Freire will be gone at the end of this year.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    RichN95 wrote:

I hope you are right Rich. I think Downing is a gutsy rider making the most of the opportunity that has come his way late on in his career. From what I've seen of him he always gives 100% because he is grateful for the chance with Sky.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.

Matthews? Or is he going to GreenEdge too?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:

He's got a two year contract - and Rabobank would be mad to let him go. He's a Freire-type sprinter, so perhaps. They've got Bos too, but unsure how much he will keep progressing on the road.
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He's got a two year contract - and Rabobank would be mad to let him go. He's a Freire-type sprinter, so perhaps. They've got Bos too, but unsure how much he will keep progressing on the road.

It'll never be the same. The way Freire rides, it's almost like having him in your team just gives you a couple classics wins every 3 years for free.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Guess it's in Sky's interest now to not hinder his chances in the Nationals race.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Snorebens wrote:
    Think Hendo is on his way to Green Edge. They've a lot of ex HTC riders tho - can't see all those inner chimps being content.

I think it makes sense - for 2012. With Thomas and Wiggins concentrating on the Olympics pursuit, they could go all out for Cav in the TDF and the subsequent 2012 Road Race. Thereafter, who knows...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... m-Sky.html

Go to feel sorry for App and Swift...

Just had a quick scan of that Daily Mail article. Richard Moore might know his stuff, but whoever did that 'anatomy of a speed machine' box out is talking crap. You can't create more fast twitch muscle fibres - you can only make them stronger.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    FJS wrote:
    It suggests Sky is more realistic about Wiggins' chances in the TdF - you don't need a full team in support for someone ridng for place 5 or even the podium, like you do if you're actually competing for the overall win.

Appolonio and Swift are still young enough to see how they develop and they will get their chances - and Swift might well develop more into a Goss/Freire/Haussler type sprinter than a Cipollini/Cav/Petacchi one.

They should cut their losses then and let Wiggins go. Sign Tony Martin and you have a strong GC contendor with a kick-ass sprint train.

Watching Martin go backwards at every incline at the criterium du dauphine I'm doubting his climbing ability. What happened to the climb he made a Ventoux?
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Doobz wrote:

Something tells me that eyes will be on how Sky might work with Cav at the nationals soon ;)

He got dropped like a sack of sh|t last year @ the nationals and it was only the 3rd lap.

Nationals don't really work like that anyway. You usually go there to ride for yourself.

I do understand how the nationals etc work, however as commented elsewhere on the forums here (I think or could be another cycling site I was on) - Sky will probably want to retain the national jersey. The course features one harsh climb but it's very short and so it's been identified as a possible sprinters course this year providing no one lets a break get away which could be the idea of teams like rapha or endura.

It's definately a badge of prestige for teams and I thought it was accepted knowledge that teams do work together where they feature a large national contigent. Would be silly of sky to not target the nationals again like they did last year given they are a british team and so all I was commenting is if they were seen to actually provide assistance to cav at any point, given a lot of his mates ride with sky, then I am sure the media scrutiny will be all over it.
  • RichN95.
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    They should cut their losses then and let Wiggins go. Sign Tony Martin and you have a strong GC contendor with a kick-ass sprint train.

Watching Martin go backwards at every incline at the criterium du dauphine I'm doubting his climbing ability. What happened to the climb he made a Ventoux?

As far as the British public are concerned, Tony Martin is a Norfolk farmer who shoots burglars.

Plus here's a prediction: Tony Martin will never be in the top 10 of a GT.
  • cogidubnus
    Don't see why Sky would want Martin. They have Brad and G for TT's and Like Rich says I don't see him as a contender in a GC
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

As far as the British public are concerned, Tony Martin is a Norfolk farmer who shoots burglars.

Lol at the farmer comment - a mate of mine pointed that out the other day.

I bet Martin does finish top ten in a GT though. If I can get good odds I might place a bet on it happening next month...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    It suggests Sky is more realistic about Wiggins' chances in the TdF - you don't need a full team in support for someone ridng for place 5 or even the podium, like you do if you're actually competing for the overall win.

Appolonio and Swift are still young enough to see how they develop and they will get their chances - and Swift might well develop more into a Goss/Freire/Haussler type sprinter than a Cipollini/Cav/Petacchi one.

He was in a break. All the favourites fannied around all the way up the climb. So not really an indication of first class climbing ability.

Mind you, he went up faster than I did :D

Strava is not Zen.
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:

Never? OK Nostradamus.

I think you're wrong - time will tell.
  • RichN95.
    [Never? OK Nostradamus.

I think you're wrong - time will tell.

If you want to keep score, some time ago I also predicted that Greipel would never win a TdF stage.

(Nothing against the Germans by the way. I like Tony)

However, the PTP table shows that my predictions, while often bold, aren't necessarily dead certs.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I find it odd that Cuddly Bob hasn't offered Cav a contract (allegedly). You'd think that he would at least go through he motions unless......unless....he really can't find a sponsor and he's going to take the team down a notch to Conti level next year.

What I find more interesting is what is going to happen to Renshaw. He's the best lead-out man in the business, and I would assume that Cav would want him with him. He's certainly spoken of this before.

One and a half million, although deliciously nice, still seems cheap for Mark. He's got to make as much as he can on this contract as it will cover his best years as a sprinter.
  • I think many of you are talking about the wrong Martin - Dan Martin to SKY for 2012, 2013 at the latest - nearest chance of a Grand Tour GC winner within SKY's 5 years tbh.
    If I can feel the pain in my arse, I mustn't be hurting my legs enough.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Is Renshaw really that important? Sky have already got two great lead-out men with no-one to lead out... Sutton and Henderson.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Has Dan Martin actually finished a GT yet?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    afx237vi wrote:
    Is Renshaw really that important? Sky have already got two great lead-out men with no-one to lead out... Sutton and Henderson.

They're good, but I think Renshaw is the best.
  • cogidubnus
    afx237vi wrote:

Don't forget G as well.

If Renshaw is available due to contract ending then it wouldnt hurt to sign him, but if it will cost then is it worth it?
  • rick_chasey
    Renshaw's very good at what he does.

It's just a little niche.
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:

Yeah, but will they still be around next year?
    And star signings do like to bring a few of their own people with them. It makes for a smoother transition. It took the two Marks a few months to click together.