Cavendish to Sky

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2011 in Pro race
For £1.5 million a year
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    you're up early!
    not a great surprise, hope he is happy and motivated there.
    ned boulting with egg on his face then
    gilbert to bmc then?
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Not unexpected. But will Mark Rickshaw go with him?
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Who's going to be the first to leave Sky?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    £1.5 million ain't much for that amount of wins ... But then if a few more are needed for the train then that cost is likely nearer to £3 million each year for Sky ...

So what happens to Henderson etc? Swift is already there to play the Greipel role ...
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Ah. but who's your source? Or are you that good that we just trust you nowadays?
  • iainf72
    Ah. but who's your source? Or are you that good that we just trust you nowadays?

Richard Moore.

I also wonder how much musical-teams there will be. Will the people who left High Horse to escape being lead out monkeys [tm] want to do that role? Will Cuddly Bob keep him out of the Tour out of spite? :wink:
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    Think Hendo is on his way to Green Edge. They've a lot of ex HTC riders tho - can't see all those inner chimps being content.

I think it makes sense - for 2012. With Thomas and Wiggins concentrating on the Olympics pursuit, they could go all out for Cav in the TDF and the subsequent 2012 Road Race. Thereafter, who knows...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... m-Sky.html

Go to feel sorry for App and Swift...
  • patchy wrote:

Got another year with Highroad but Eisel is joining him.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Brilliant news if true.
  • LangerDan
    I wonder if this means Cav can kiss goodbye to any unoffical assistance he might have otherwise expected from HTC teammates at the Worlds?
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Surely renshaw will go greenedge unless that's goss earmarked as their main sprinter?

I don't think sky need anyone else for the train, they showed in Cali their train right now is good enough to rival htc and I think swift, Thomas and app can make final three men easily for cav and with people like dowsett, standard and hayman I think from 2-3k out they can control the front.

Will bring wins while they develop more gc riders, swift etc can probably learn from cav too but i do wonder how much of the team they will devote to sprinting in tdf, the 2012 point is a very good one I think.
  • LangerDan
    Snorebens wrote:
    I think it makes sense - for 2012. With Thomas and Wiggins concentrating on the Olympics pursuit, they could go all out for Cav in the TDF and the subsequent 2012 Road Race. Thereafter, who knows...

The 2012 road race circuit isn't really going to suit Cav, though is it? The first part is supopsed to be similar to the Amstel and the finishing circuit is the same as Camenzind won the 1998 Worlds on - 10 ascents of the cauberg. Looks more like a Gilbert circuit TBH
  • patchy
    LangerDan wrote:
    Snorebens wrote:

The 2012 road race circuit isn't really going to suit Cav, though is it? The first part is supopsed to be similar to the Amstel and the finishing circuit is the same as Camenzind won the 1998 Worlds on - 10 ascents of the cauberg. Looks more like a Gilbert circuit TBH

I think he means the Olympic road race. Making amends for the gold he didn't get in Beijing cos Bradders were knackered...
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    LangerDan wrote:
    Snorebens wrote:

You're right - sorry, meant 2012 Olympics Road Race
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Imagine Sky with Wiggins and a hopefully fit Michael Rogers, developing GC riders like Kennaugh and Uran, then Cav for the sprints and potentially Gilbert for the classics, along with Boessen Hagen. To use a Wiggins comment from a couple of years ago, they would be more like Man Utd than Wigan....
  • patchy
    LangerDan wrote:
    Snorebens wrote:

I think he means the Olympic road race. Making amends for the gold he didn't get in Beijing cos Bradders were knackered...
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    patchy wrote:

I see what you did there :wink:
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Brilliant news if true.

Seems it is - Cav has just tweeted saying he will still be commited to HTC for the remaining season.
  • TMR
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Brilliant news if true.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's f*cking horrible news - I can't stand SKY. I wish he'd stayed where he was.
  • iainf72
    squired wrote:
    Imagine Sky with Wiggins and a hopefully fit Michael Rogers, developing GC riders like Kennaugh and Uran, then Cav for the sprints and potentially Gilbert for the classics, along with Boessen Hagen. To use a Wiggins comment from a couple of years ago, they would be more like Man Utd than Wigan....

I suspect some people will leave. If you're Swift or App, where does it leave you? Do you want to be a a leadout monkey? And where does it leave GC ambitions.
  • TMR
    Got another year with Highroad but Eisel is joining him.

That's something at least. I rate Bernie very highly.
  • Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • iainf72
    So, no contract offer from HTC. Interesting.

Is Cuddly Bob throwing in the towel? Or has he got a different plan?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    iainf72 wrote:
    I suspect some people will leave. If you're Swift or App, where does it leave you? Do you want to be a a leadout monkey? And where does it leave GC ambitions.

A top team needs more than one sprinter. Swift doesn't have the ability to beat the top drawer of sprinters like Cavendish, Petacchi, Farrar et al, but is capable of hanging on in the hills so is better suited for stages where Cavendish will be dropped. Appollinio has shown promise but is not going to win GT stages regularly yet.

It is possible to mix GC ambitions with a sprinter, you just have to use your resources wisely.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It suggests Sky is more realistic about Wiggins' chances in the TdF - you don't need a full team in support for someone ridng for place 5 or even the podium, like you do if you're actually competing for the overall win.

Appolonio and Swift are still young enough to see how they develop and they will get their chances - and Swift might well develop more into a Goss/Freire/Haussler type sprinter than a Cipollini/Cav/Petacchi one.
  • TMR
    FJS wrote:
    It suggests Sky is more realistic about Wiggins' chances in the TdF - you don't need a full team in support for someone ridng for place 5 or even the podium, like you do if you're actually competing for the overall win.

Appolonio and Swift are still young enough to see how they develop and they will get their chances - and Swift might well develop more into a Goss/Freire/Haussler type sprinter than a Cipollini/Cav/Petacchi one.

They should cut their losses then and let Wiggins go. Sign Tony Martin and you have a strong GC contendor with a kick-ass sprint train.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    I wonder if EBH will stay - he will deffo not want to be a 'lead out monkey' c. iain

Has his TdS demonstration raised his cache?
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    FJS wrote:

They should cut their losses then and let Wiggins go. Sign Tony Martin and you have a strong GC contendor with a kick-ass sprint train.
    Don't see why Wiggins couldn't do the same? Wouldn't rate Martin necessarily higher than Wiggins on GC and with his track experience Wiggins should be able to do some top level lead out work
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Does anyone want to buy a Sky jersey?
  • TMR
    FJS wrote:
    Don't see why Wiggins couldn't do the same? Wouldn't rate Martin necessarily higher than Wiggins on GC and with his track experience Wiggins should be able to do some top level lead out work

Martin is younger, he's won more, shows more potential and already provides a great lead out for Mark.