Cavendish to Sky

12346»

Comments

• ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    It's in the Daily Mail. It must be true! :roll:
    Just what I was thinking! Do people on here actually read that rag?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ms_tree
    I think many of you are talking about the wrong Martin - Dan Martin to SKY for 2012, 2013 at the latest - nearest chance of a Grand Tour GC winner within SKY's 5 years tbh.
    Would he go tho'? He wasn't very complimentary about the British set-up which is why he opted to ride for Ireland, as have a couple of others (Brammier?). And Blythe's done his own thing too.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ms_tree
    Personally, these leaves a nasty taste. Think they can throw money around and that solves everything. So his coach works for them - he won't have Zabel tho' will he? Not many better than him around (whatever) to read a race.
    Neil Gaiman
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Cav to Sky. Pretty sure its good news and no way on earth will he have done it without total assurance that the train will be manned up properly etc. That said, no way Sky would want him if they thought they couldn't sort the train etc.

Fantastic news for british cycling. Sky haters? Its only 'kin team for godsakes!! A bunch of guys who were practically the British team management anyway. Repeat, this team is not the embodiment of Rupert Murdoch.

Can't wait to see him get a mention on their (pretty impressive) website.

Go Sky. Go Cav.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Personally, these leaves a nasty taste. Think they can throw money around and that solves everything. So his coach works for them - he won't have Zabel tho' will he? Not many better than him around (whatever) to read a race.

Signing a rider who is out of contract leaves a nasty taste?
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Ms Tree wrote:
    It's in the Daily Mail. It must be true! :roll:
    Just what I was thinking! Do people on here actually read that rag?

Unfortunately I have to for my job. To be fair, they don't normally lie - just spin the facts to fit their own twisted agenda (that's as fair as the Mail is going to get from me!).

As they don't have much of an agenda when it comes to this story, I reckon the article is pretty believable. Not to mention the good journo involved.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    tremayne wrote:

Fantastic news for british cycling. Sky haters? Its only 'kin team for godsakes!! A bunch of guys who were practically the British team management anyway. Repeat, this team is not the embodiment of Rupert Murdoch.

I sort of agree with that. I'm sort of a Sky hater, but basically because I'm not really a fan of anyone on the team. But then again, I'm not a fan of teams in cycling, as it's not football. To me, teams are just a means to an end for an individual in cycling. The team is important for Cavendish to set him up to win, but if someone was a Cavendish fan all that should matter is that his lead-out monkeys do their job properly - It shouldn't matter if they ride for Sky, HTC or NetApp.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    iainf72 wrote:
    tremayne wrote:

I sort of agree with that. I'm sort of a Sky hater, but basically because I'm not really a fan of anyone on the team. But then again, I'm not a fan of teams in cycling, as it's not football. To me, teams are just a means to an end for an individual in cycling. The team is important for Cavendish to set him up to win, but if someone was a Cavendish fan all that should matter is that his lead-out monkeys do their job properly - It shouldn't matter if they ride for Sky, HTC or NetApp.

And therein lies the strangeness of pro cycling. A team sport that's all about the individual. Or an individual sport that's all about the team. I'm confused.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ms_tree
    Turfle wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:

That's my point - he isn't yet; not until the end of the season. What's that thing they do in football 'tapping up'. Sky have done this before with Cavendish and they were warned off so they've waited and done it again and then leaked it via a tame journalist.
    I've said before that professional sport it business and the lines between ethical and not are blurred (as we've seen with banks, politicians etc). For a team management to trumpet about ethics and then to do 'tapping up' not once but twice or even 3 times if you count Wiggins, is in my own opinion immoral. Bit like the forumites who slag riders off on one hand and then pick them for PTP.

Right I'll get off me soapbox and slink away. :)
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ms Tree wrote:
    That's my point - he isn't yet; not until the end of the season. What's that thing they do in football 'tapping up'. Sky have done this before with Cavendish and they were warned off so they've waited and done it again and then leaked it via a tame journalist.
    I've said before that professional sport it business and the lines between ethical and not are blurred (as we've seen with banks, politicians etc). For a team management to trumpet about ethics and then to do 'tapping up' not once but twice or even 3 times if you count Wiggins, is in my own opinion immoral. Bit like the forumites who slag riders off on one hand and then pick them for PTP.

This isn't anything new though - it's the system. It has been for decades. The deals for next year get sorted out at the Tour de France (due to convenience), offers and expressions of interest really need to be lodged before that. After all hasn't Gilbert got six offers on the go? Aren't there plenty of other rumours too?

In football, 'tapping-up' is explicitly talking to a player who isn't in the last year of their contract. Talking to them in their last year and offering them a contract in their last six months is perfectly fine.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:

Tapping up is done when the person has a contract longer than the end of the season i.e. speaking to the person mid contract.

If Sky have approached Cav then I can see nothing wrong as he is a free agent at the end of the season.

You live in cuckoo land if you thinks riders leave it until their contracts expire to talk with other teams.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Yup in football you are free to talk to players at other clubs if they are in the last 6 months of their contract. So Sky talking to Cav is very similar.

put it this way if you know you are going to be out of work in September do you wait till then to look for new employers? or do you start thinking about it sooner?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    There won't be anything official before August 1st; until then this will remain cycling's worst kept secret.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I thought cycling's worst kept secret was the 1990s?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I thought cycling's worst kept secret was the 1990s?

Change the record :P
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    smithy21 wrote:
    Get over yourselves.

I will happily admit to reading the Times, Sunday Times and News of the Screws on Sunday. Oh yes and sky tv is brilliant. The only thing wrong us Eurosports ability to screw with the schedules so you miss the end of the cycling sometimes.
    Been trying to get over myself for a while now Smithy mate but in the end I thought I'd stick with not buying Murdoch stuff because of his poisonous influence on public discourse and the shabby, low-rent, prurient, hypocritical shit passed off as journalism in his papers. How's the NOTW reading thing working out for you? :wink:
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    i"ll probably make a principled stand and not buy the final issue :o
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    smithy21 wrote:
    i"ll probably make a principled stand and not buy the final issue :o

Heh :lol:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... esign.html

I know Inrng sort of covered this one, but booting out Jimmy would / could have implications for the team, seeing as they're his plaything.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8636165/Phone-Hacking-Top-BSkyB-investor-calls-for-chairman-James-Murdoch-to-resign.html

I know Inrng sort of covered this one, but booting out Jimmy would / could have implications for the team, seeing as they're his plaything.

I think it's more than just a plaything though, Sky get a huge amount of publicity from cycling, from the track, the road and all the Skyrides etc. Love them or loathe them Sky have a history of long term investment in sport so they might not just jump ship with the wind.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8636165/Phone-Hacking-Top-BSkyB-investor-calls-for-chairman-James-Murdoch-to-resign.html

Actually Iain your wrong.

James Mudoch fully supports the team but so do all the board. Team Sky sponsorship wasn't just lead by Murdoch.

Team Sky will be fine.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Brilliant news if true.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's f*cking horrible news - I can't stand SKY. I wish he'd stayed where he was.

Are you confusing a British pro team and SKY as a sponsor? Md rapper probably thinks a good idea for a brit team, shame its sponsored by SKY.