Beginner needs advice on upgrading Carrera Banshee.

124»

Comments

• Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    CustomC wrote:
    leaflite wrote:
    You may need to get the bottom bracket shell faced before fitting the new bottom bracket.

Faced? forgive me for my noob-ness. Few days ago i didnt know what a bike was (pretty much)

Also the guy at Edinburg Bicycle gave me two spacers one that matches the one that i already had on the BB and one that was slightly smaller. Is it ok to use them on the right side as per the diagram on here :

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque

Yawn, said this on page 2 !

Right you have a BB shell with paint on it, paint is squishy and uneven thus your bearings won't be perfectly parallel and at a guess won't pre-tension correctly so may come loose (at a guess, i brought a bike with pressed bearings how they should be) so you need to take it to the bike shop and request for the bottom bracket to be faced, it requires a tool that costs in excess of £100 and with the cranks removed it'll cost a tenner for the shop to do at max !
  • CustomC
    CustomC Posts: 122
    Ryan Jones wrote:
    CustomC wrote:
    leaflite wrote:
    You may need to get the bottom bracket shell faced before fitting the new bottom bracket.

Faced? forgive me for my noob-ness. Few days ago i didnt know what a bike was (pretty much)

Also the guy at Edinburg Bicycle gave me two spacers one that matches the one that i already had on the BB and one that was slightly smaller. Is it ok to use them on the right side as per the diagram on here :

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque

Yawn, said this on page 2 !

Right you have a BB shell with paint on it, paint is squishy and uneven thus your bearings won't be perfectly parallel and at a guess won't pre-tension correctly so may come loose (at a guess, i brought a bike with pressed bearings how they should be) so you need to take it to the bike shop and request for the bottom bracket to be faced, it requires a tool that costs in excess of £100 and with the cranks removed it'll cost a tenner for the shop to do at max !

Ahh I c. How long does it take? Wonder if i could do it before work tomorrow.

The crank is fitted and I think is all good.

Fork arrived too.

gonna get my mum to Deliver me her fiancees pipe cutter and cut the fork, will be nicer than Just with a hacksaw :D

Im very Excited and i would like to thank everyone who has helped me. I know im not the best learner and may have missed someones useful comments out, so for that i apologize.

No doubt there will be more questions when payday hits, about brakes and other stuff :L
  • CustomC
    Ohye, question i forgot to ask.

How do i get acces to my back wheel's bearings because i can hear them grinding and since there was sand in BB there probs is sand there, they need cleaned out and regreased.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Parktools is your friend.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CustomC
    cooldad wrote:
    Parktools is your friend.

as far as i understand i can see that i have to remove the cassete?

A tool that i dont have :(
  • cooldad
    You'll also have to remove the crank to get the BB faced.
    A little planning...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    CustomC wrote:

Might be worth you popping into a lidl and seeing if they have any of their £25 bike tool kits knocking about, contains all the basic tools you'll need. Also there's this: http://tiny.cc/z1zs6

Also regarding bb facing; some say its unecessary, as the threads in the bb are going to be perfectly aligned, so the bb should align correctly. Any imperfection on the actual bb shell face is likely to be so slight that the plastic (and deformable) spacers used on a hollowtech bb would compensate for this when torqued up correctly.
    Makes sense to me anyway :P

Any thoughts from the knowledgeable folk?
  • CustomC
    d00m wrote:
    CustomC wrote:

Might be worth you popping into a lidl and seeing if they have any of their £25 bike tool kits knocking about, contains all the basic tools you'll need. Also there's this: http://tiny.cc/z1zs6

Also regarding bb facing; some say its unecessary, as the threads in the bb are going to be perfectly aligned, so the bb should align correctly. Any imperfection on the actual bb shell face is likely to be so slight that the plastic (and deformable) spacers used on a hollowtech bb would compensate for this when torqued up correctly.

Thanks for the advice.

Im still not sure if iwe fitted the crank right, tightened right ETC :/ Might just go to bike shop have them check it.

As for the tool thing. I noticed that after i bought half the tools. so it wouldnt be wise to buy a tools set and have two of each :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It would if it was cheaper to buy a toolset than to buy the remaining tools....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    d00m wrote:
    CustomC wrote:

Many would disagree.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CustomC
    Hello. Today is a very Fine day as My bike is finally completed. Just to double check i spoke to one of the mechanics in Edinburgh Bicycle to check over what iwe done, he apporved.

Thank you ALL who helped.

NOw that payday is here im looking to buy some brakes. realised that i do not have enough money to buy a brand spanking new set i will scrounge forums in search of a cheaper/ better alternative.

If anyone is selling a Set of Hydraulics Shoot a message or link me to a thread.

Thanks.
  • on-one
    on-one Posts: 85
    any pics?
    Want cash back on online purchases from CRC ebay TESCO and 000s more? Its completely free, Visit this site: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/member62282200556
  • CustomC
    on-one wrote:
    any pics?

yeah there will be mate. At work ATM so will take some now and Post them when i get home :D
  • on-one
    on-one Posts: 85
    pmd you btw RE brakes
    Want cash back on online purchases from CRC ebay TESCO and 000s more? Its completely free, Visit this site: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/member62282200556
  • CustomC
    on-one wrote:
    pmd you btw RE brakes

Replied mate, just looking for anything that would be better than current part for a nice price.

MAybe buy frame at some point or some rear shox. Particluarry interested in white parts. Need to keep the theme going
  • CustomC
    Pictures of the finnished build as promised :):):)

Some Grips i bought here:
    22062011730.jpg

Pedals, bought here & Crankset on ebay:
    22062011729.jpg

Forks, from JeJamesCycles. Ride so smooth and are of excelent value for only £119
    22062011728.jpg

Overall Pic
    22062011727.jpg

And again a BIG Thank you for all that helped. Couldn't of done it without you all great helpers! :)

Very Happy ATM.
  • cooldad
    Good, now go and ride the blasted thing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CustomC
    Just bought some Hayes Stroker Trial brakes :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Watch out for cables rubbing the bike where they touch.