Beginner needs advice on upgrading Carrera Banshee.

Comments

• on-one
    on-one Posts: 85
    Email me at: ryanbraund@rocketmail.com for more pics and info if you are interested.
    Want cash back on online purchases from CRC ebay TESCO and 000s more? Its completely free, Visit this site: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/member62282200556
  • CustomC
    CustomC Posts: 122
    on-one wrote:
    Email me at: ryanbraund@rocketmail.com for more pics and info if you are interested.
    You show me just after i already ordered my forks :/
  • on-one
    on-one Posts: 85
    Sorry pal only just got on lol any chance you can cancel the order?
    Want cash back on online purchases from CRC ebay TESCO and 000s more? Its completely free, Visit this site: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/member62282200556
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    If nobody's mentioned it, you dont have to cut the steerer, you can just use spacers above or below the stem. May help with resale value too.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Only about 50mm worth though, practically. A 10cm stack does look odd!

Plus too many below the stem puts extra strain on the steerer.
  • CustomC
    supersonic wrote:
    Only about 50mm worth though, practically. A 10cm stack does look odd!

Plus too many below the stem puts extra strain on the steerer.
    Noah im defo gonna be cutting it, otherwise i will end up with a chopper styled MTB 1cm more travel and 10cm in spacers... :D
  • CustomC
    Bottom Bracket Tool, for booth Old and new Crankset Removal have arrived, so has some Rim tape.
    Waiting on new Crankset Spoke tool and Fork which is due monday.

Excited and cannot wait :D

Im already thinking about new frame, Brakes and wheels :D

The bug has caught me.
  • CustomC
    more things arriving, Last parts should be here monday.

Got the pedals i bought too :D
  • CustomC
    IS it Just me or is there some Black Spacers missing from the BB?

had a look on park tools and they had 3 of the spacers pictured.

20062011706.jpg

Also Im not sure but the plastic things you plug into the end of axels need to be bought seperately? :O
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yep, looks like you're missing some spacers there. Did you get them off ebay or somewhere like that?

What plastic things you plug into the end of the axles are you talking about?
  • CustomC
    Yep, looks like you're missing some spacers there. Did you get them off ebay or somewhere like that?

What plastic things you plug into the end of the axles are you talking about?

Got it off ebay as brand new...

So where do i get Spacers? reckon my old crankset will have some once i dismantle it?

Im speaking about the black pastic bit that is sittin on its own in the pic. Only got one of them and then still it doesnt cover the Opening. Where the Crank arms attach to the BB.

EDIT:

also the old crank arm is stuck on the BB because few weeks ago i tightened the bolt that holds crankarm to BB and now its stuck on it, so any tips on how to remove that so i can get access to BB to take it out and check if i has Any spacers in there.
  • Anonymous
    CustomC wrote:
    Im speaking about the black pastic bit that is sittin on its own in the pic. Only got one of them and then still it doesnt cover the Opening. Where the Crank arms attach to the BB.
    That black thing is the bearing pre-tensioner. There is only one, and it only screws in on one side.

The spacers though, well, you'll have to go and ask nicely at your local bike shop, since, from memory, you don't have the kind of bottom bracket currently fitted, that uses spacers.
  • CustomC
    First obstacle of building bike:

listening to someone else who said that it is everything i will need to exchange cranks.

Mistakes happen, no biggie, just means that i Cant go to bike shop to get spacers because im waiting for fork to get delivered :/

So i cant do that today And i have to go to work at 5 :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If your BB is 73mm you only need one spacer, if not contact the seller and ask them to send the other two.
    You also need to read the instructions if you are unclear on things like pre tensioning the bearings.
    To remove the old crankarm you are going to have to remove the bolt.
    If you've overtightened it so much you can't get it off it's big drill/angle grinder time.
    But unless you've rounded the bolt head, it will come off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps the first obstacle to building a bike is not doing your homework properly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CustomC
    Went out to the Bike shop and got spacers i need. Guy at Edinburgy Bicycle was Very helpful. Got spacers For BB for free, bought a 20mm spacer for the steerer tube and a new crown nut. He even explained to me how to cut the steerer tube to lenght properly and how to take old crankset and put new one on. Very impressed with their service & knowledge.

Building time and still waiting for fork. :D

EDIT:

Having problems removing the BB, iwe tried left and right side and turned booth ways, No movement at all. And how do i work out which side is fixed and which needs to be turned to loosen the BB.

I have read Parktools guide on how to remove my BB but i cannot make sense of it. SO can someone please help

lol after some thinking i have worked out which side needs to be turned in which direction. Its just not coming out, so im waiting for cousin to come home gimme some extra muscle :D
  • CustomC
    Its properly seized, cant get it out :(

Dont have a big enough vice to clamp it in either.

What can i do?? Hit it and pray to god?
  • Anonymous
    CustomC wrote:
    Its properly seized, cant get it out :(

Dont have a big enough vice to clamp it in either.

What can i do?? Hit it and pray to god?
    What won't come out? the bolt that holds the crank on, or the crank arm itself?
  • cooldad
    Morrrre Powwwerrrrrrrrr
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Make sure you are turning it the right way.
    May need some Plusgas or something to loosen it off.
    Welcome to the pleasures of annoying stuck parts and skinned knuckles.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CustomC
    The two threads that hold BOttom brtacket in place. I just got the left one out (non drive side) With an improvised Long reach wrench :D

Now still need to unscrew the right side to get the Bottom Bracket Out completely so that i can fit the new crankset in. GOt an hour to do that before work :D
  • Anonymous
    Extension bar should do it. Make sure you're undoing it the right way.
  • CustomC
    SUCEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! BOoth sides unscrewed and bB removed. AND WOW its full of sand inside... Not the best.

How to clean out the Bottom 68MM tube out of sand??
  • CustomC
    Here is my improvised wrench. consits of a bb 20 teeth tool, A small adjustable wrench and a Part of my bike holder :D
    20062011713.jpg

Here is the nasties that was going on inside!

20062011714.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Sand? what the?
  • CustomC
    Sand? what the?

Dont ask Me how it got THERE. Anyhow i sprayed some GT85 to get rid of most of the crap and then some MUC OFF bike cleaner to degrease the screw threads. Lots of paper towels

Anyways About to put new Crank on. Where do i grease?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    You may need to get the bottom bracket shell faced before fitting the new bottom bracket.
  • CustomC
    leaflite wrote:
    You may need to get the bottom bracket shell faced before fitting the new bottom bracket.

Faced? forgive me for my noob-ness. Few days ago i didnt know what a bike was (pretty much)

Also the guy at Edinburg Bicycle gave me two spacers one that matches the one that i already had on the BB and one that was slightly smaller. Is it ok to use them on the right side as per the diagram on here :

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque
  • cooldad
    Faced - machined so that the BB surfaces are perfectly parallel or the new BB bearings may wear out quickly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    CustomC wrote:

Also the guy at Edinburgh Bicycle gave me two spacers one that matches the one that i already had on the BB and one that was slightly smaller. Is it ok to use them on the right side as per the diagram on here :

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque

If your bb is 68mm wide, you need to use 3 spacers as per the upper park tools diagram. If your bb is 73mm wide, however, you only need to use 1 spacer as per the lower park tools diagram. Each spacer is 2.5mm wide iirc so adding the 2 extra spacers for a 68mm bottom bracket make it 73mm wide, making the total width the same.(Geddit?)