Beginner needs advice on upgrading Carrera Banshee.

CustomC
CustomC Posts: 122
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi, first of all i would like to say hello to everyone on this forum as i have just joined.
I come here to seek expert advice on upgrading/ building bikes. I am part of lots of computer forums which i am an expert on through reading and learning, so i have come here to do the same.

So here goes, i would really appreciate your help on the following:

Info on my bike:
It is a Carrera Banshee 2008 model in red.
DSC00230.jpg

What i would like to upgrade is

Fork, Brake system, Crank(pedals axle etc) Which are crucial because they are broken or falling apart
and at a later date the rear suspension and wheels.

Now i am a newbie and i do not under stand all the terminology when buying bike parts on eBay, i want to get it right the first time so all/any help is greatly appreciated.

What im really asking for is for someone to point me in the right direction when buying a fork.

Fork: I would like an air fork if my budget allows, dont mind used but i how do i know it will fit my bike. I know that steerer tube is the bit that joins the fork to your frame and i believe that you need to cut that to size.. Which im reluctant on doing on a fork that iwe just spent lot of money on and to find i done it wrong.

Brakes, want Hydraulic disc brakes 160mm and bigger rotors, preferably pre-bled so i do not have to spend money on extra tools to fill them etc. I do not understand the idea behind IS or post mounts ETC so i need someone to tell me what will fit on the bike and what will need which adapters.

Crank is the biggest problem, either the axle or the thing as a whole is bent and i do not like that.. so how do i go about buying a new crank, pedals arms the bit that goes inside the frame, basically the whole set. So i need a new. used one to replace.

Basically if my post is too unorganized i am wanting to upgrade my fork, crank-set and braking system for now and im looking fro help finding parts that will fit and would be happy to buy off the forum as used.

This far i have found/ bought the following parts/ tools on eBay to allow me to upgrade the bike:

Spoke key- Need to tighten spokes

Crank Pulley- As i though i will need that

Bottom Bracket tool- the 20 teeth thing to remove the inner workings of the crank/axel?

and some rim tape, because my inner tube keeps sliding and forward inside the tyre and causing the inner tube to fail where the valve is because it just gets cut by the rim. I do think that this is caused by the Tyre being too big for the rim, but the tyres that were on previously were 2.1 these are 2.2 so is that the problem?

Looking at the following on ebay:
Brakes:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-Avid-Elixir- ... 41562a2b5a
Will these fit on the frame and what kind of fork would i have to buy to fit them on it?

Im sure i have missed out on loads of things that i have wanted to ask but i will remember and post later.

Sorry for my grammar, English isn't my first language.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You have to weigh these upgrades up against a complete new bike.

What sort of riding do you do and where? Are you a heavy rider? Also what is your budget?
  • CustomC
    The main Reason i want to build is to gain knowledge and experience.

I use my bike mostly to go to work and love the town riding to find the occasional fast paced track, jump whatever i can feel some sort of adrenaline.

I would love to go out to special tracks more but the condition of the bike is stopping me from doing so. So i was thinking about building a v decent bike that has slick tyres for city riding but so that its still capable of taking on the proper tracks and so on.
    Currently i have Continental Mountain king Tyres on it which i find to be too soft and they make the inner tube move around and as a result the valve breaks and i need to buy a new tube.

I weigh 76Kg 184cm in height and 17 years of age.

From Aberdeen scotland.

My budget is currently £250 (from a winning insurance claim)

But this will be an ongoing project.

thanks for he swift reply
  • CustomC
    Found some nices brakes here that my budget would like:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12783658

Any good Avid Juicy 5
  • supersonic
    That budget is very tight for what you want to do, and I can't really advise on 2nd hand parts as I can't easily see the available market.

Disc brakes can be made to fit just about any frames with the right adaptors, and most come with said adaptors anyway. The Elixirs would fit fine, but are cheaper options.

For forks, take a look at these:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 66946.html

They will work with the brakes too, just remove the supplied adaptor.

If your tyres are too soft, pump them up! A new tyre will not change this.

The chainset comprises of the crankarms, rings and often a bottom bracket. The best thing you can do is go to parktools.com and have a read through of the different types.
  • CustomC
    Did you see the link i Posted on the avid Juicy's. So they would fit fine too with adaptors?

As far as forks are concerned i would like something with more than 100mm travel as i tihnk i have a complex for having big shiney things.

No matter how much i pump up the tyres the inner tube still moves around.

the chainset.. is there a standard size for mountain bikes.

How do i go about knowing which part of the chainset is bent on the bike?

So how i would go about buying a new chainset?

Also what kind of grease to use for wheel bearings, because i was stupid and washed bike with a karcher.... so i can hear wheelbearings griding.
  • supersonic
    The Jucies would fit, but Elixirs are better.

Your frame is not really designed to have more than 100mm of travel, and is certainly older than 2008. 120-130mm may be fine, but usually best to stick with what it's got.

Chainsets come in a variety of standards, you need to read the info on park tools. Chainsets attach to bottom brackets which screw into the frame. Newer chainsets come with them and will fit ie:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque

You need to identify what part is bent if you want to replace said part.

Any teflon bike grease will be fine.
  • CustomC
    supersonic wrote:
    The Jucies would fit, but Elixirs are better.

Your frame is not really designed to have more than 100mm of travel, and is certainly older than 2008. 120-130mm may be fine, but usually best to stick with what it's got.

Chainsets come in a variety of standards, you need to read the info on park tools. Chainsets attach to bottom brackets which screw into the frame. Newer chainsets come with them and will fit ie:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque

You need to identify what part is bent if you want to replace said part.

Any teflon bike grease will be fine.

In what way are the exrils better? I already have enough stopping power with the cable disc brakes. Just want something cooler. Also I hate the noise braking makes. can that be eliminated by softer pads/ shorter life? or is that something we have to live with?

Will read info on parktools. :)

Thanks a lot for your help.

But is it worth spending £135 on Exrils compared to £75 for juciy 5's?
  • supersonic
    The Jucies have better lever feel, improved build, easier to bleed and easier to replace pads. £75 is a bit expensive really for second hand Jucies in my opinion. Though given a choice I'd get these:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... KE-SET.htm

Recently won our brake test.

Yep, keep reading! Gather as much info as you can then post back with new questions!
  • CustomC
    is that £129 for just the front or rear? My budget does not approve.

So exrils or the jucies depending on when money clears.

As far as forks go, any bombers for a modest price?

So how do i find the right sized bottom bracket to fit for my frame, do i just take calipers and find every possible dimension?

EDIT: one thing i forgot was to ask how do i know that the discs will fit on my wheels?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If your brakes are working fine, then leave them, spend the money elsewhere.
  • supersonic
    Sorry, meant to say ELIXIRS have the better feel etc! £129 for the pair of Deore. Your wheels have the 6 bolt rotor standard.

This is not bad for a Marzocchi:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/25250/Mar ... n=pid25250

Plus you get to alter travel if you wish.

Modern cranksets come with the relevant bottom bracket (if they use external cups as in that link).

If you want to replace the bottom bracket for the older type chainset you have, you need to remove it and measure the shell width of your frame and the axle length 68mm x 113mm. Also needs to be the right type ie Square taper, ISIS, Octalink for that type of cartridge bottom bracket.
  • CustomC
    supersonic wrote:
    Sorry, meant to say ELIXIRS have the better feel etc! £129 for the pair of Deore. Your wheels have the 6 bolt rotor standard.

This is not bad for a Marzocchi:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/25250/Mar ... n=pid25250

Plus you get to alter travel if you wish.

Modern cranksets come with the relevant bottom bracket (if they use external cups as in that link).

If you want to replace the bottom bracket for the older type chainset you have, you need to remove it and measure the shell width of your frame and the axle length 68mm x 113mm. Also needs to be the right type ie Square taper, ISIS, Octalink for that type of cartridge bottom bracket.

Thanks for the suggestions for the Fork and Brakes. Looks like i will just get them once money clears and then look into a new chainset because ATM its confusing me too much. If i was to take it apart and take pics would you be able to tell what kind it is?

And you want me to measure the width of the round part of the frame at the bottom where the crankset is joined to the frame?
  • CustomC
    edited June 2011

well, i can never get them right, if they arent touching the discs then i have to squeeze the levers too much before i get any braking. If i adjust to my liking then they are touching the discs and causing unneeded friction, thus slowing me down.

Plus they squeek very badly. And i want some hydraulic action :D

EDIT:

Few more questions:

Rear suspension, what price am i looking at for rear gas/air suspension that is nice, with lockout feature because hate that when city cycling your pedal power is decreased by the rear suspension.

And how much would be the cheapest Hard trail light frame??

and is it wort getting a poweder coater to get my frame painted pure black?
  • I agree with the other posts on here. When I read your post my immediate thoughts were RockShox Tora forks. Also I thought Shimano Deore brakes, which come pre-bled so easy to fit. The Shimano theme continues with a Hollowtech 1 crank with Deore chainrings. Not sure about the tyre thing though, as stated, pump it up, which you have done, perhaps if you are still having problems with the valve being cut buy some presta inner tubes as these come with a ring that slips over the valve and screws down to hold the valve in the same place. Hope this helps.
  • Anonymous
    CustomC wrote:

well, i can never get them right, if they arent touching the discs then i have to squeeze the levers too much before i get any braking. If i adjust to my liking then they are touching the discs and causing unneeded friction, thus slowing me down.

Plus they squeek very badly. And i want some hydraulic action :D
    You'll find that pretty much all disc brakes will rub a little, on all but the most perfectly set up systems.
  • CustomC
    edited June 2011
    I agree with the other posts on here. When I read your post my immediate thoughts were RockShox Tora forks. Also I thought Shimano Deore brakes, which come pre-bled so easy to fit. The Shimano theme continues with a Hollowtech 1 crank with Deore chainrings. Not sure about the tyre thing though, as stated, pump it up, which you have done, perhaps if you are still having problems with the valve being cut buy some presta inner tubes as these come with a ring that slips over the valve and screws down to hold the valve in the same place. Hope this helps.

Thanks for info on tube.

post a link to the said chainset, would it fit?

Also don't anyone answered on how to cut the fork to lenght and how hard is it to fit? does the star nut come with fork or needs to be bought seperate?

Also what is the most popular Etailer for cycle parts so that i can go on their site and find cheapest air fork :D

Edit Again:

brake stiuation:

Avid Elixir 5, comes with EVERYTHING i need for braking system Including Rotors for £140

Shimano Deore M595 doesnt have rotors so i would use my old ones.

want to find out if its worth going the extra and buying M595's or just get the Elixir 5?
  • Anonymous
    Star nut needs to be bought separate, or sometimes comes with the headset.
    Ask nicely in the local bike shop and they might give you one though, especially if you take biscuits.

Cutting the steerer tube down is no biggie. As long as you measure it to have a few spacers, then going slightly smaller than intended isn't a problem, worst case scenario is you remove a spacer or two.
  • supersonic
    Park tools has nearly all the answers for compatibilty and fitting.
  • CustomC
    Star nut needs to be bought separate, or sometimes comes with the headset.
    Ask nicely in the local bike shop and they might give you one though, especially if you take biscuits.

Cutting the steerer tube down is no biggie. As long as you measure it to have a few spacers, then going slightly smaller than intended isn't a problem, worst case scenario is you remove a spacer or two.

So you just hack it off with a metal saw?

Also sorry for noob question between brakes red few review and im pretty set on the M595's. Will it be fine to use the same discs with the m595's?
  • For Etailers I usually use Chain Reaction, but have used others also. I would go and speak to your Local Bike Shop (LBS), not Halfords, and try and do a deal or two. If you buy a fork you could ask them to cut it for you. Take a list of what prices you have seen on the Etailer sites and they will usually drop somewhere close, but if they cut the fork for you it would take away 1 hassle for a couple of pounds. It might be worth trying to do a deal on the whole lot and get them to fit also. I have just bought a Shimano SLX front brake, which I fitted. My mate who has been riding for years spotted that the caliper wasn't attatched to the fork leg quite correctly, making the pads on the rotor uneven. This was simply fixed with a small file. They may also point out what is going on with your tyre/wheel.
  • CustomC
    For Etailers I usually use Chain Reaction, but have used others also. I would go and speak to your Local Bike Shop (LBS), not Halfords, and try and do a deal or two. If you buy a fork you could ask them to cut it for you. Take a list of what prices you have seen on the Etailer sites and they will usually drop somewhere close, but if they cut the fork for you it would take away 1 hassle for a couple of pounds. It might be worth trying to do a deal on the whole lot and get them to fit also. I have just bought a Shimano SLX front brake, which I fitted. My mate who has been riding for years spotted that the caliper wasn't attatched to the fork leg quite correctly, making the pads on the rotor uneven. This was simply fixed with a small file. They may also point out what is going on with your tyre/wheel.

Only bike shops we have is Edinburgh bicycle and Alpine bikes.

Now i did want a Air fork but what is the Pros/ Cons when compared to a Coil fork?

is it worth it?

iwe heard that Air forks dont rust? Also iwe had two crappy Suntour Coil forks which booth rust and got stiff. Is every coil fork crap or is it just the crap brands?
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    If you only have £250 to spent, it seems a bit unwise to spend a big portion of that on brakes when your only complain on your current ones appears to be related to adjustment rather than them being broken. They can be annoying to adjust but unless they are physically broken then it's just a matter of knowing how. Once you have the knack they are fine.
  • CustomC
    NozzaC wrote:
    If you only have £250 to spent, it seems a bit unwise to spend a big portion of that on brakes when your only complain on your current ones appears to be related to adjustment rather than them being broken. They can be annoying to adjust but unless they are physically broken then it's just a matter of knowing how. Once you have the knack they are fine.

Yeah i know but i finally want to have a nice bike and i will be upgrading as i go along this is just some spare money i came across before my holidays. Think i will start selling of PC stuff to fund bike. :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Once you have added up the cost of forks, brakes, chainset, wheels (assuming your tensioning doesn't go according to plan) and self rotating inner tubes, you will probably be better off looking at a new carrera with all the upgrades already done.
    It will also be shiny.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CustomC
    cooldad wrote:
    Once you have added up the cost of forks, brakes, chainset, wheels (assuming your tensioning doesn't go according to plan) and self rotating inner tubes, you will probably be better off looking at a new carrera with all the upgrades already done.
    It will also be shiny.

I want to upgrade gradually. This is a learning experience. and with Time i will get another frame aswell. cant afford to wait or spend £600 on a nice new GT from halfords, because i know they do not have parts on them that i want and i would feel if im spending £600 i dont want to compromise. Yes i know £600 isnt A LOT for bikes but thats a lot for me with PT job.

Anyhow, i got the money i was speaking about and was just wanting a last check up on
    either getting Avid Elixir 5 full kit for £140, rotors,levers,bolts,adapters the whole lot needed. Or to go for recommended Shimano M595's without rotors and god knows what because frankly i cannot find information on what they come with?

maybe im just noob?

EDIT:
    Ebay option:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
    160mm rotors
    pre-bled

All Terrain Cycle option:
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/121883.html
    185mm rotors,
    are they prebled though full kit? doesn't really specify. I emailed them asking anyway just though one of you Guru's would know?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    cooldad wrote:
    It will also be shiny.

+1

For £100 more you could have the likes of this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping
    with hydraulic brakes and a fork with damping. And it will be shiny!
  • Anonymous
    Seriously, keep the brakes, and get a better fork.
  • CustomC
    get these *Rockshox Domain 318 IS forks from here - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12784089
    ?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    i doubt you'd need 160mm travel! Esp for only XC
  • CustomC
    as i said before i have a complex for big shiny expensive things :D