Beginner needs advice on upgrading Carrera Banshee.

Comments

• ewizzy1977
    ewizzy1977 Posts: 92
    Is anyone else cringing a little at this post :?: :oops:

Dude, if you have £250 to spend, spend some of it on forks, and some on a rear air can, you'll notice a bigger difference buying those than buying brakes :!:
    Also, you said you had noises coming from the crank, or the crank arm was bent :?: That actually would be my first upgrade/fix...
    One of these will fit your bike, it comes with different spacers to fit your frame.

If you can afford it after the Suspension parts and crank then think about getting some brakes.

Also, Read as much on park tools website as possible, and also Sheldon browns.

Hope this helps.....[/url]
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Does seem a little silly. Totally agree with ewizzy^^
  • CustomC
    CustomC Posts: 122
    ewizzy1977 wrote:
    Is anyone else cringing a little at this post :?: :oops:

Dude, if you have £250 to spend, spend some of it on forks, and some on a rear air can, you'll notice a bigger difference buying those than buying brakes :!:
    Also, you said you had noises coming from the crank, or the crank arm was bent :?: That actually would be my first upgrade/fix...
    One of these will fit your bike, it comes with different spacers to fit your frame.

If you can afford it after the Suspension parts and crank then think about getting some brakes.

Also, Read as much on park tools website as possible, and also Sheldon browns.

Hope this helps.....[/url]

Thanks Ewizzy. I have been thinking a while and yeah seems a bit stupid to buy brakes.

So i will be getting Fork and a crank, and you are the first person who has told me WHICH exact crank fits my bike. So thanks a lot for that! Wish there was a rep Button.

What is a rear air can?

Also what tools will i need for swapping out cranks. I have the Crank Pulley and a 20 Teeht Bottom bracket tool incoming from ebay. Which grease do i buy and is there any more tools needed?

So i will buy your suggested crank and the fork i linked earlier that will1991 is selling?
  • Greer_
    Its a good crankset, however i still really don't see the need for 160mm travel unless you're doing downhill. It's a bit extreme but just my opinion
  • CustomC
    Not to be rude, but can you provide a better deal than the fork i linked? id rather buy used and make a saving while getting a better part for cheaper.

Also for the crank set, which tools will i need to exchange??

I have the crank Pulley and bottom bracket 20Tooth thing, I know i need a key for pedals but that can be done with pliers.

Anything else? Someone be kind enough to link me to grease to use in crank and how/where to apply it?
  • Greer_
    Sorry! I never said it was a bad fork or a bad deal, just that that isn't its right purpose but go for it if you want! :roll:

For a grease gun, i'd use http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5958

As for the rest, I can't help you as I've never done it before so hopefully someone else can answer that. :)
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Remember that external Bearing cranks (ie Shimano hollowtech, truvativ howitzer etc) need the area around your BB shell facing ;)

Don't go overboard with the front suspension travel, too much can put more force through the frame meaning you may well snap your headtube clean off !

Upgrading the suspension on that budget would be tough and even then it's not going to be the best, so personally I'd sell that and get something else new or a good used bike I've seen old kona coilers for about £350
  • CustomC
    Greer_ wrote:
    Sorry! I never said it was a bad fork or a bad deal, just that that isn't its right purpose but go for it if you want! :roll:

For a grease gun, i'd use http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5958

As for the rest, I can't help you as I've never done it before so hopefully someone else can answer that. :)

Thanks for the grease link.

I have posted on the guys thread as im interested in his fork, Pedals and grips. Then getting Crank on ebay and grease wherever i can find it cheapest. Thanks a lot :D
  • CustomC
    Ryan Jones wrote:
    Remember that external Bearing cranks (ie Shimano hollowtech, truvativ howitzer etc) need the area around your BB shell facing ;)

Don't go overboard with the front suspension travel, too much can put more force through the frame meaning you may well snap your headtube clean off !

Upgrading the suspension on that budget would be tough and even then it's not going to be the best, so personally I'd sell that and get something else new or a good used bike I've seen old kona coilers for about £350

dont want to sell my bike as its too much of a state to sell to anybody. So 160mm travel on a bike that has a 120mm travel is not wise?

Didnt quite understand what you mean about the bearing cranks?

Will the said crankset work on my bike without further purchases?
  • Greer_
    Depends, but your frame may not be built for it, its always best to stick with the same amount of travel. Again as far as cranksets, i have no idea! It's pretty new to me too :?
  • CustomC
    So anyone recommend me sub £175 Air sus fork with no more than 130mm travel in this case?

What is single and dual?

Found this:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 63485.html

Any good?
    Question still unanswered:

Is this everything i need for a crank upgrade?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
    Some grease and crank pulley and bottom bracket tool?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The Deore chainset you link to will require a different tool for fitting. The tools you've bought will be necessary though to remove the current crankset. Other tool here, for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42809

Forks-wise, those Toras you linked to will be excellent compared to your old ones. Single or Dual air is really not much more than giving more adjustment possibilities, which aren't always necessary.
  • CustomC
    warpcow wrote:
    The Deore chainset you link to will require a different tool for fitting. The tools you've bought will be necessary though to remove the current crankset. Other tool here, for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42809

Forks-wise, those Toras you linked to will be excellent compared to your old ones. Single or Dual air is really not much more than giving more adjustment possibilities, which aren't always necessary.

Thanks for your help, so to install the new crank i will need the tool that you linked me? I can easily buy that, not a problem. So the fork i linked is good, is there any other alternatives?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    you are the first person who has told me WHICH exact crank fits my bike.

I have given all the info you need! You need to read up and do some homework. Look at what you have, and what will fit. All the info is on park tools. Any chainset with the external bottom brackets I linked to (exept campagnolo) WILL fit. If you want to replace the bottom bracket you have, remove it and measure it and buy a new one of the same TYPE. Chainsets must match the bottom brackets. Again, for tools, I have given you all the info you need.

The Tora is a good choice.
  • supersonic
    External bottom bracket types and chainsets, plus tools.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque

The type of bottom bracket you currently have is here:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ervice-bbt

Again, the chainset must match the type of bottom bracket, you cannot swap between. So if you get a new chainset, you will need a new BB. But many come with them.

How to remove your existing BB:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... campagnolo
  • ewizzy1977
    This is the tool you will need to INSTALL the new crankset, I have one of these and it has served me well for a number of Years, of course, to use this one you will also need either an 8mm Allen key, OR a 3/8" Drive ratchet as the tool supplied is to be used with one of those. The tool you have, I assume is to REMOVE the old crank.

With regards to Forks, get the best you can afford, be it Rockshox, Fox, Marzochi, Suntour etc...

Again, I hope this helps
  • CustomC
    supersonic wrote:
    External bottom bracket types and chainsets, plus tools.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque

The type of bottom bracket you currently have is here:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ervice-bbt

Again, the chainset must match the type of bottom bracket, you cannot swap between. So if you get a new chainset, you will need a new BB. But many come with them.

How to remove your existing BB:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... campagnolo

sorry if i have missed something. its alot of info to take in. And I do not understant most of that park tool write up.
  • supersonic
    It is, but you said you wanted to learn ;-). I can't list every brand and type of kit that will fit your bike lol.

The Deore M590 is a good choice though. This will fit.

As is the Tora. This will fit too.

The brakes come with the necessary mounts to fit your bike UNLESS stated. Just need to read what you are getting and compare.
  • CustomC
    ewizzy1977 wrote:
    This is the tool you will need to INSTALL the new crankset, I have one of these and it has served me well for a number of Years, of course, to use this one you will also need either an 8mm Allen key, OR a 3/8" Drive ratchet as the tool supplied is to be used with one of those. The tool you have, I assume is to REMOVE the old crank.

With regards to Forks, get the best you can afford, be it Rockshox, Fox, Marzochi, Suntour etc...

Again, I hope this helps

I bough this tool http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=42809

Because someone said that its what i need with this crankset. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 97.c0.m619

Another noob question:
    Will buying that crankset mean that that is all the parts i need to exchange for the exisitng one?
  • supersonic
    Yes, that tool will fit that crankset/chainset, and all parts are included including the bottom bracket.

But you must remove the old stuff first which needs different tools.
  • CustomC
    supersonic wrote:
    It is, but you said you wanted to learn ;-). I can't list every brand and type of kit that will fit your bike lol.

The Deore M590 is a good choice though. This will fit.

As is the Tora. This will fit too.

The brakes come with the necessary mounts to fit your bike UNLESS stated. Just need to read what you are getting and compare.

You are saying that the tora is a good choice, Might aswell order that now then?

So far i have spent £72.34 On Wheel tape, Crank Remover/ Pulley, Bottom Bracket Tool to remove my old crank, Spoke key to tighten up spokes, pedals and grips of this forum. Then The new crank tool for the new crankset im buying on ebay and greas with a grease gun :D

So the fork and crank still to get. :D
  • supersonic
    The Tora is by far the best fork you will get for that money.

You will need to read up on how to fit though.
  • CustomC
    supersonic wrote:
    Yes, that tool will fit that crankset/chainset, and all parts are included including the bottom bracket.

But you must remove the old stuff first which needs different tools.

iwe got tools ordered to remove the old stuff.

Thanks for the confirmation on the new crank. SO i will order that and the fork now then :)

Edit: thats crank ordered.

Also I tried searching how to fit a new fork on park tools but it returned nothing. Can you please link me to that?
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    CustomC wrote:
    Ryan Jones wrote:

dont want to sell my bike as its too much of a state to sell to anybody. So 160mm travel on a bike that has a 120mm travel is not wise?

Didnt quite understand what you mean about the bearing cranks?

Right the bearings for this type of crank you've ordered sit on the outside of the bottom bracket, thus giving you scope for larger tougher bearings, however they need to be tight and parallel which isn't possible when there's paint on the outside of the BB shell of the frame, a decent shop should do it for a tenner or so if you've already removed the old cranks !

Just looking on chain reaction an old manitou metel or other old basic shocks can still be obtained for relatively small amounts of cash, if you can find out the information with regards to your existing shock they'd be a great budget upgrade.
    Will the said crankset work on my bike without further purchases?
  • CustomC
    Fork, Crank, Tools ETC ordere. 10 Packages incoming

Will post back with results and probably things iwe done/ bough wrong :D
  • ewizzy1977
    The Forks are fairly easy to fit, Make sure you get a good sharp hacksaw blade to cut the steerer though :!:

The best piece of advice I can give you when fitting the forks is:

MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE

Also, get yourself to a plumbers merchant (B&Q or Focus or similar) and get yourself some plastic pipe that is slightly larger than 1 1/8" to fit the crown race :!:

Oh yeah, you'll probably need a new Headset to fit the forks too...

THIS will most likely be the best fit and forget headset you can get... Ive had one of these and have transfered it between 4 bikes and 2 sets of forks.

If all else fails, take your bike to a repair shop, and ask their advice and remember to take Carrot cake, Chocolate Digestives, and cans of redbull with you, and you might not even get charged for the advice ;)
  • CustomC
    ewizzy1977 wrote:
    The Forks are fairly easy to fit, Make sure you get a good sharp hacksaw blade to cut the steerer though :!:

The best piece of advice I can give you when fitting the forks is:

MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE

Also, get yourself to a plumbers merchant (B&Q or Focus or similar) and get yourself some plastic pipe that is slightly larger than 1 1/8" to fit the crown race :!:

Oh yeah, you'll probably need a new Headset to fit the forks too...

THIS will most likely be the best fit and forget headset you can get... Ive had one of these and have transfered it between 4 bikes and 2 sets of forks.

If all else fails, take your bike to a repair shop, and ask their advice and remember to take Carrot cake, Chocolate Digestives, and cans of redbull with you, and you might not even get charged for the advice ;)

Thanks for your help.

Are you SURE that i will need a new headset? because i was just Smiling at myself for being £2.66 under budget :D Will i need a starnut or is there one that comes with the fork?
    NVM there is one that comes with the headset. will get that ordered now too :)
    Thanks
  • supersonic
    You do not need a new headset. You need to remove the crown race from the old fork and fit on the new fork.
  • CustomC
    supersonic wrote:
    You do not need a new headset. You need to remove the crown race from the old fork and fit on the new fork.
    lool :D

Well i asked seller to cancel my order but we will see :D
  • on-one
    on-one Posts: 85
    There is a giant XTC 4.5 on the classifieds which is everything you need and a very good bike for £250.

Or there is these i have for £80 posted if you like:

5754747525_d93f05d2c5.jpg
    PIC_0028 by on-one2010, on Flickr
    Want cash back on online purchases from CRC ebay TESCO and 000s more? Its completely free, Visit this site: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/member62282200556