Posting video of everyone that cuts you up on youtube...

124»

Comments

• RichardSwt wrote:
    This one should however be a 'sticky'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI

+1

Also this made me laugh -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X-7pL8TjJU&feature=autoplay&list=ULsj9v9JJnNjw&index=2&playnext=14

Was that really worth posting?

From the comments:

one motorcyclist and one cyclist have died on Mowbray Rd in the last few years. The cyclist was hit by a car doing an estimated 39mph. No doubt the motorist felt safe, protected by steel crumple zones.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    RichardSwt wrote:
    This one should however be a 'sticky'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI

+1

Also this made me laugh -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X-7pL8TjJU&feature=autoplay&list=ULsj9v9JJnNjw&index=2&playnext=14

Was that really worth posting?

From the comments:

one motorcyclist and one cyclist have died on Mowbray Rd in the last few years. The cyclist was hit by a car doing an estimated 39mph. No doubt the motorist felt safe, protected by steel crumple zones.

And?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HGTbNUucQI&feature=related

You may derive some education or enjoyment from this example.

Personally I wonder why the cyclist continues to ride towards the taxi, possibly his handlebars aren't attached to his forks. Never mind though, it'll be "published on You Tube tonight" so it's all good....

Errr, because it's not a one-way road, as the cyclist explains. So in that clip, you have a cabbie driving toward someone because of a perceived breach of the rules. The cabbie was wrong, as it happens, but right there in that clip is evidence that drivers will steer their vehicles toward cyclists who are doing nothing whatsoever wrong. It shows a "professional driver" displaying ignorance of the rules of the road he's on. It's also a pretty old clip, that the best you can do? Maybe if you read the clip description:

Cyclist was heavily laden with 4 pannier bags full of shopping making any kind of avoidance manouvre very difficult. Just plain rude!

I prefer videos of roads I've ridden. It's interesting to see people take a different line on a road I know. Not the wrong line, maybe even a better one than I would take. It's all good and it's not really the same as betraying Jews to the Gestapo. I'm finding the shrill opposition to filming incidents a bit strange.

Exactafrickinmundo

A competent cyclist, without an agenda or helmet cam would have rode around the taxi and got on with their day. The behaviour of the cyclist is influenced by wearing a camera and his desire to capture his near death experience

My point remains that the reason the cyclist put the clip on You Tube is so we can all join him on tutting at the driver

He loves the flourish
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Passing a cyclist at a potentially lethal speed whilst breaking the law is fine. A £60 fine is a more powerful deterrent than the thought of endangering a vulnerable road user.

Post some more clips you think are boring and non-illustrative, this is fun!
  • tailwindhome
    Tut!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Post some more clips you think are boring and non-illustrative, this is fun

boring and non-illustrative are two new words for the debate

Many of the clips posted are far from boring and many do 'illustrate' bad driving. My point remains in relation to the motivation of you tube posters.

Is 'Police Camera Action' an educational progamme?

• Many of the clips posted are far from boring and many do 'illustrate' bad driving. My point remains in relation to the motivation of you tube posters.

You claim to know their motivation. All of them. I think you cannot possibly know what the motivation is for every cyclist who posts clips. Stone me, if you're that bothered post a response beneath the clip, I don't get the point of a thread that seems to be about "Something That Doesn't Interest Me And I Don't Understand".
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493

Exactafrickinmundo

A competent cyclist, without an agenda or helmet cam would have rode around the taxi and got on with their day. The behaviour of the cyclist is influenced by wearing a camera and his desire to capture his near death experience

Please do not tar us all with the same brush. Many of us take avoiding action each day because we share the road. One or two bad apples might post stuff that you, me and everyone else disagrees with but that does not mean we are all the same!

I might as well as go ahead and call you a RLJing, pavement riding, abuse shouting, lycra wearing cyclist.
  • I frapped the quotes up then, I was responding and quoting to tailwindhome, sorry.
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    Incidently,what's happened to Magnatom? Has he had his head kicked in yet? Must only be a matter of time.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Isn't any online presence on the intarwebs done for 'flourish' (still not quite sure what you mean by this), be it facebook, twitter, or forum posts?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Many of the clips posted are far from boring and many do 'illustrate' bad driving. My point remains in relation to the motivation of you tube posters.

You claim to know their motivation. All of them. I think you cannot possibly know what the motivation is for every cyclist who posts clips. Stone me, if you're that bothered post a response beneath the clip, I don't get the point of a thread that seems to be about "Something That Doesn't Interest Me And I Don't Understand".

Well it dose bother some of us and we do have a interest in it because as fellow cyclists some of us feel that posting some of the crap that gets put up gives us a bad name.

I'm not talking about all the helmet cam footage, that 'taxi' clip Gaz posted was worthy of posting. But a lot of it isn't and only serves to make us all seem like curtain twitching idiots suffering form some kind of victimisation complex.
  • tailwindhome
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Isn't any online presence on the intarwebs done for 'flourish' (still not quite sure what you mean by this), be it facebook, twitter, or forum posts?

No.

Some of us have genuinely insightful and witty comments to make which make the world a better place and you're lucky to be privileged to read what we post.

Just kidding

Yes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    TWH +1

Are any of us under the illusion that cycling in traffic is safe and or fun.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Groke
    Groke Posts: 11
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/

Knock yourself out.

In 3 years posting on here I've only seen one video clip which has genuine educational value. It was posted by Bent Mikey and shows a cyclist about to pass a HGV on the inside.

That one could be a real lifesaver.

The rest is just people posting scalps or 'tutting' loudly. Either way it's just attention seeking. ETA - These posts are really just for other cyclists to view and agree how awful drivers are

By all means record your journeys on helmet cam, Jeremy Rundle can recommend one off Ebay. If you have any real incidents report them to the police or the driver's employers.

Posting them on You Tube has no merit other than letting the world hear you tut. In other words, you enjoy "the flourish"

I agree that most of the cycllist channels on Youtube don't seem to be about helping other cyclists improve, but this guy is a bit different and I have learnt quite a lot from his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NDeSByYcmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6WMBEHJg1M
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Groke wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/

Knock yourself out.

In 3 years posting on here I've only seen one video clip which has genuine educational value. It was posted by Bent Mikey and shows a cyclist about to pass a HGV on the inside.

That one could be a real lifesaver.

The rest is just people posting scalps or 'tutting' loudly. Either way it's just attention seeking. ETA - These posts are really just for other cyclists to view and agree how awful drivers are

By all means record your journeys on helmet cam, Jeremy Rundle can recommend one off Ebay. If you have any real incidents report them to the police or the driver's employers.

Posting them on You Tube has no merit other than letting the world hear you tut. In other words, you enjoy "the flourish"

I agree that most of the cycllist channels on Youtube don't seem to be about helping other cyclist improve, but this guy is a bit different and I have learnt quite a lot from his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NDeSByYcmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6WMBEHJg1M

Generally I'm with TWH when it comes to YouTube cyclist videos, but having watched a few by that guy, I agree his are worth the bandwidth. He's smart, observant, patient, and gets that cars win a collison.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Some of Gaz's and MrOrigamists videos are very constructive, most of the other stuff out there is very destructive.

Aimless videos seeking some weird internet revenge on drivers - 1
    Teaching cyclists how to avoid said incidents + 1
    Films that show the fun of commuting + 1000
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    iPete wrote:
    Some of Gaz's and MrOrigamists videos are very constructive, most of the other stuff out there is very destructive.

Aimless videos seeking some weird internet revenge on drivers - 1
    Teaching cyclists how to avoid said incidents + 1
    Films that show the fun of commuting + 1000

With a couple of exceptions that's what I try to do! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Who watches youtube anyway, never seen it, never used or wanted to use any of these chat places, I have a life.

Stick to bikeradar.com
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    itboffin wrote:
    TWH +1

I'm still clinging on to this pleasant delusion.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:
    TWH +1

I'm still clinging on to this pleasant delusion.

Having yet again been within 1" of death today from a 4x4 driver so she could gain 200 yards i'm under no illusion - F'ing bitch! would she care if my wife & daughters were left without me ...? I doubt it.

What did she gain?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    200 yards
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Slow motion is generally used to make things clearer. Removal of part of the clip that shows the cyclist causing the issue is possible, but I suspect a very small problem in reality. Perhaps you'd like to give some links?

Yes, I am sure it does - but it also emphasizes the alleged incident - most of which are nothing. I am saying that editing for enhancement or to hide previous form is possible......I don't know the people who film on a personal basis, so have no idea of their integrity.....
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I believe that is in case multiple people have issues with the same car as that would then point to an underlying problem

My car has 3 people that generally drive it. And many cars are sold on - so, effectively, you tarnish the reg plate and not the driver. Not really fair if the owner of the car is not the driver of the car in said video - also not fair on anyone who borrows the car or if the car is sold on to a new owner.
    jds_1981 wrote:
    No, but the footage is there for anyone to view and decide upon

With some editing, slow mo emphasis and the car has possibly moved ownership or has a garage mechanic test driving it for a customer.....And most of the incidents anyone else (please see other posts on here) would not think about.
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Well, easy for you to view their videos and make your own mind up..

I have......and judging by the posts on here, the conclusions are fairly obvious.
    jds_1981 wrote:
    and they can make up their own mind,

How charitable of you - so, no matter what the situation with the car (sold, being driven by someone else not the owner), driver (screaming kids in the back, foreigner, lost person, new nervous driver) or anyone else. It does not matter, you are arrogant and so obviously higher and more righteous enough to just upload the footage to youtube anyway - even if it is a nothing incident that anyone else would just walk on by, because you don't care or think....you want your retribution and thats all that matters.

Like I said before, I am happy for people to film and upload i, it's lame, but it is up to the individualt - but putting reg numbers in the titles is just getting some retribution and pointing out some personal data....and thats all it will ever be.

And no one will remember all these reg numbers that have allegedly violated the filmer and actively avoid that car - so, really, what is the point?
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    gtvlusso wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Slow motion is generally used to make things clearer. Removal of part of the clip that shows the cyclist causing the issue is possible, but I suspect a very small problem in reality. Perhaps you'd like to give some links?

Yes, I am sure it does - but it also emphasizes the alleged incident - most of which are nothing. I am saying that editing for enhancement or to hide previous form is possible......I don't know the people who film on a personal basis, so have no idea of their integrity.....
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I believe that is in case multiple people have issues with the same car as that would then point to an underlying problem

My car has 3 people that generally drive it. And many cars are sold on - so, effectively, you tarnish the reg plate and not the driver. Not really fair if the owner of the car is not the driver of the car in said video - also not fair on anyone who borrows the car or if the car is sold on to a new owner.
    jds_1981 wrote:
    No, but the footage is there for anyone to view and decide upon

With some editing, slow mo emphasis and the car has possibly moved ownership or has a garage mechanic test driving it for a customer.....And most of the incidents anyone else (please see other posts on here) would not think about.
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Well, easy for you to view their videos and make your own mind up..

I have......and judging by the posts on here, the conclusions are fairly obvious.
    jds_1981 wrote:
    and they can make up their own mind,

How charitable of you - so, no matter what the situation with the car (sold, being driven by someone else not the owner), driver (screaming kids in the back, foreigner, lost person, new nervous driver) or anyone else. It does not matter, you are arrogant and so obviously higher and more righteous enough to just upload the footage to youtube anyway - even if it is a nothing incident that anyone else would just walk on by, because you don't care or think....you want your retribution and thats all that matters.

Like I said before, I am happy for people to film and upload i, it's lame, but it is up to the individualt - but putting reg numbers in the titles is just getting some retribution and pointing out some personal data....and thats all it will ever be.

And no one will remember all these reg numbers that have allegedly violated the filmer and actively avoid that car - so, really, what is the point?

It's not personal data though, is it?
    It's public information that is tied to a vehicle. We have no idea who owns the vehicle or who can legally drive it (as you previously stated in that post).
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    gaz545 wrote:
    It's not personal data though, is it?
    It's public information that is tied to a vehicle. We have no idea who owns the vehicle or who can legally drive it (as you previously stated in that post).

I didn't say that it was a breach of any legal issue - you are free to film whomever, whenever and free to upload it - up to you!

You can find out who owns the car on a DVLA search for the reg number, I think it is a couple of quid - however, that owner may not necessarily be the driver at the time of the alleged offence. You could also go to the dealership for said vehicle and find out the history of said vehicle - they do a service printout with owners/persona who bought the vehicle in for service, assuming that it the vehicle dealer serviced.

You are still tarnishing a vehicle reg....The owner of said vehicle may not be the driver, or the car may have been sold on.

My point being that it is not really fair, to be british about it - it is not really cricket to use the reg number in the titles of the youtube clips as it may not be the car owner that is driving and you don't know the circumstance that they are under. The car may have been sold on after the upload of said clip and the new owner is not to blame - but the video still stays on youtube for all to see.

E.g - You have a really "great" piece of genuine footage of you being mullered by vehicle reg xxx xxx, that could have legal repercussions for the driver of reg xxx xxx. You put it on youtube - reg number in the title, meanwhile reg xxx xxx has been sold to someone else as a family car, a nice polite person who wishes the world no ill. They do a google search for their new car reg number - just for fun. Now there new car has a history on youtube of allegedly abusing cyclists........

Thats why I believe that it is unfair to use reg numbers in the title - the titles are very searchable on google.

However, you cannot do much about seeing the reg no in the video (aside not filming :-) ) - you could edit it out, but I understand that it would be allot of work.

Hopefully you see my point.....It seems to be pointed retribution, ultimately, a real nutter could use the reg number to get the owners name and address, but may target the wrong person as the owner may not have been the driver.....kinda extreme, but is perfectly possible.