Posting video of everyone that cuts you up on youtube...

Comments

• bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Helmet cams are here to stay, their use is growing, this can only be a good thing, complaining some clips are boring is like saying you don't like a certain telly programme, don't watch it then!

but that's my point someone's youtube channel will be routinely ignored and the 1 thing of interest that happens is missed

If Roadsafe are involved the driver gets a link to the clip, that's how the driver in the above clip found the Youtube page and decided, in his infinite wisdom, to post a comment promising to hurt a child if he saw the cyclist again.

That's the sort of thuggery cameras will deter.

Unfortunatley this is not the case, look how much CCTV we have in the UK, does this deter mindless thugs, not one bit. You are always going to get unhinged pyschotic members of society, they do not have the intellectual capacity to worry about cameras. You can only hope through their own doing they permanently remove themselves from society before they hurt anyone else. PS I would love to have 5mins in a room with the twat in the decorating van and teach him some manners.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    nation wrote:
    nation wrote:
    Don't want to have your driving posted on Youtube? Behave yourself and you've nothing to worry about.

Except in cases where the person toting the cam is in the wrong, but thinks they're right.

Somewhere in the helmet cam thread there's a link to the youtube channel of someone (not on the forums) who not only rides ridiculously agressively, but has confrontations with drivers in which he condescendingly lectures them on what he incorrectly believes the law to be.

Then the helmet cam allows you to decide who's at fault. Without the footage you'd have no idea. helmet cams don't cause bad behaviour on the road, they merely record it. I think I know who you mean, that rather shouty gentleman.

Fair point, I suppose.

A lot of it is that sticking the videos on youtube is pretty pointless in the vast majority of cases. It's not going to have any consequences for the driver (unless it's, say, a liveried vehicle belonging to a large company), and though it's "public", it's not like anyone is going to stumble across it. It's pretty limp, as retribution goes.

"(unless it's, say, a liveried vehicle belonging to a large company)"

In which case - complain by letter to the company and provide a DVD of the film.

Simples.

No.

Hold the clip back. Give the driver a chance to lie.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    gtvlusso wrote:
    nation wrote:
    nation wrote:
    Don't want to have your driving posted on Youtube? Behave yourself and you've nothing to worry about.

Except in cases where the person toting the cam is in the wrong, but thinks they're right.

Somewhere in the helmet cam thread there's a link to the youtube channel of someone (not on the forums) who not only rides ridiculously agressively, but has confrontations with drivers in which he condescendingly lectures them on what he incorrectly believes the law to be.

Then the helmet cam allows you to decide who's at fault. Without the footage you'd have no idea. helmet cams don't cause bad behaviour on the road, they merely record it. I think I know who you mean, that rather shouty gentleman.

Fair point, I suppose.

A lot of it is that sticking the videos on youtube is pretty pointless in the vast majority of cases. It's not going to have any consequences for the driver (unless it's, say, a liveried vehicle belonging to a large company), and though it's "public", it's not like anyone is going to stumble across it. It's pretty limp, as retribution goes.

In which case - complain by letter to the company and provide a DVD of the film.

Simples.

No.

Oh you cynic!

:-)

Or give the driver no chance to say anything at all and tell a million + people......
  • Godwin's Law by the 2nd page, impressive!

I don't think I would assist in The Holocaust, but I support reporting and recording idiots on the road.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    gtvlusso wrote:
    nation wrote:
    nation wrote:

Fair point, I suppose.

Simples.

No.

From that comment MBC I am left wondering if you are trying to make the roads safer or simply get 'revenge' on people you feel have wronged you.

I'm all for cameras to use as evidence but when randomly just posting clips on YouTube, I can think of plenty of negatives but very few, if any positives.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    nation wrote:
    nation wrote:

Fair point, I suppose.

Simples.

No.

From that comment MBC I am left wondering if you are trying to make the roads safer or simply get 'revenge' on people you feel have wronged you.

I'm all for cameras to use as evidence but when randomly just posting clips on YouTube, I can think of plenty of negatives but very few, if any positives.

Ever had a standard letterafter complaining about a liveried driver that says "His version differs from yours"?

There's nowt wrong with an independent witness, and the driver incriminates himself if he chooses to lie to his employer.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I wonder if headcammers feel a moral obligation to report themselves to the police when they make mistakes on the road, or post clips of themselves on youtube. I say when, because everyone makes mistakes when cycling. Given the unforgiving attitude towards drivers who make mistakes, then presumably they must treat their own errors of judgement the same way.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I originally bought my camera for 2 reasons:

1. To film daft stuff that seems to keep happening on my commutes
    2. To record good driving so I can send a vid to the relevant companies (thank you British Gypsum and Hardstaffs)

While I've recorded some dumb driving, I've only ever felt the need to post a public 'complaint' one twice(the roundabout and the numpty in the bmw). the others have been in the vein of: look at this daft sod.

I have a couple of privately linked videos that have been sent to the companies involved - one of which came back very positively - I didn't even complain on that one: more of a 'could you please ask your driver to be more careful'

The other has gone to the Police as well as the company involved, and is ongoing on at the moment

I've got vids of me and a mate giving it some on the way home, me squealing at a guys legs ( :oops: ) a bleeding owl at dawn (which is just great 8) ) 4 miles of the Tissignton Trail, and going stupidly quickly down an unsighted hill.

I've had loads of near misses, but many, many more courteous and considerate overtakes which just don't register.

I think the point I am eventually getting to is: it depends on the mentality of person with the camera. I have a very positive attitude when cycling and see the good stuff going on around me, so I record it; with the odd 'daft sod' moment.
    Others seem to be more negative and their footage reflects this.

(something I also learned from looking back at the footage before I delete it: you'd be AMAZED at how much you miss going on around you)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    RichardSwt wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    I find myself in a (rare) situation of being in agreement with MBC

To those of you raising rubbish about posting registration numbers etc...
    1. Registration numbers are on vehicles so the vehicle CAN be identified!
    2. When you are in a public place, you have to accept you may be filmed etc ( different if someone is deliberately stalking you obviously)
    3. Are you really suggesting people should be protected from having their alleged criminal behaviour revealed?

OK, that's fine.

But should you also accept that you could be posted to YouTube for all to see? I don't think that's fair, it's very on-sided for a start.

I agree helmet cams are a good idea. But if you catch someone driving in a way you feel is below standard give the footage to the police, that's what they're there for.

I really don't think you have the right* to post footage of other people on YouTube without their permission. Weather or not you think they've done something wrong.

(I'm not talking about if you have a legal right, I mean as in I don't believe it's fair).

+1

Point 2 is ridiculous. I'd say it was unfair if I posted videos of say Lehman Brothers workers, and list their vehicle types and plates. All info that could be obtained from them being in a public place.

wrt point 3 then the key word is "alleged". I don't see why people who haven;t been charged with anything and have just been accused by one person should be identified, no.
  • CyclingBantam
    Ever had a standard letterafter complaining about a liveried driver that says "His version differs from yours"?

There's nowt wrong with an independent witness, and the driver incriminates himself if he chooses to lie to his employer.

Yes but the implication was you would wait for them to lie. Why not send the evidence straight away. What reason is there to withhold it other than to hope the driver lies and then you can catch them out?
  • Ever had a standard letterafter complaining about a liveried driver that says "His version differs from yours"?

Yes but the implication was you would wait for them to lie. Why not send the evidence straight away. What reason is there to withhold it other than to hope the driver lies and then you can catch them out?

Becasue they have then compounded their error. Company writes back and says "Nothing happened, go away"!

You then produce the clip with a flourish and demonstrate the employee is a liar as well as a reckless driver. I would hope the driver fesses up, if not I see nothing wrong in providing evidence of his or her dishonesty.

Ideal Scaffolding of Woolwich employ drivers who flick fags and chewed gum at cyclists (me!).

I wish I'd had a camera that day.
  • CyclingBantam

Becasue they have then compounded their error. Company writes back and says "Nothing happened, go away"!

You then produce the clip with a flourish and demonstrate the employee is a liar as well as a reckless driver. I would hope the driver fesses up, if not I see nothing wrong in providing evidence of his or her dishonesty.

Ideal Scaffolding of Woolwich employ drivers who flick fags and chewed gum at cyclists (me!).

I wish I'd had a camera that day.

I know what you are getting at but you should be honest.

Your aim of filming drivers is to catch their behavior AND punish them for it, NOT, to improve their driving in the future (This may or may not come from your course of action.)
  • No, the driver should be honest, if they aren't it's their fault. I would imagine a warned driver, a disciplined driver or a prosecuted driver would take more care in future, that's why cameras have their place in road safety, the more drivers who are unsure whether the next cyclist they encounter has a camera the better.
  • CyclingBantam
    No, the driver should be honest, if they aren't it's their fault. I would imagine a warned driver, a disciplined driver or a prosecuted driver would take more care in future, that's why cameras have their place in road safety, the more drivers who are unsure whether the next cyclist they encounter has a camera the better.

Hey, do what you want. My point is though, don't try and make out you are doing it to improve road safety. Your main concern is punishing bad drivers. If additional road safety comes then great.

If your main concern was road safety you would be sending the evidence in in the first place with constructive reasons why and how the can improve.
  • I called Ideal Scaffolding. They hung up. If people chuck stuff at me it's very much my business, as it is the driver got away with it and so probably did it again. On the whole when it comes to chucking stuff at cyclists deliberately I'm against it. I called the cops for the one and only time after that incident. The operator said "Are you hurt?"

"No" I said.

"Then we can't do anything" she said.

Reckon I'd get away with chucking a lit fag at a copper?
  • CyclingBantam
    What do you expect the police to do?

I am absolutely against people just getting away with stuff when they have done something wrong but do you think it is realistic for the police to chase someone up who has 'allegedly' thrown a fag butt at someone?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    No, the driver should be honest, if they aren't it's their fault. I would imagine a warned driver, a disciplined driver or a prosecuted driver would take more care in future, that's why cameras have their place in road safety, the more drivers who are unsure whether the next cyclist they encounter has a camera the better.

Hey, do what you want. My point is though, don't try and make out you are doing it to improve road safety. Your main concern is punishing bad drivers. If additional road safety comes then great.

If your main concern was road safety you would be sending the evidence in in the first place with constructive reasons why and how the can improve.

I think it's pretty obvious (to most of us) that MBC is a misguided crusader. Fortunately, we don't all live such sad, bitter existences.

Perhaps that's why we don't all fall foul of all these drivers who are supposedly dedicated to the demise of all cyclists.
  • gtvlusso
    I called Ideal Scaffolding. They hung up. If people chuck stuff at me it's very much my business, as it is the driver got away with it and so probably did it again. On the whole when it comes to chucking stuff at cyclists deliberately I'm against it. I called the cops for the one and only time after that incident. The operator said "Are you hurt?"

"No" I said.

"Then we can't do anything" she said.

Reckon I'd get away with chucking a lit fag at a copper?

Oh dear...it's a tough life.

Why not do a video of you complaining about everything that niggles you, no matter how small, and put it on youtube with your own car reg number?

Title of something like:

"Complaint to everyone about everything reg no xxx xxx"
  • What do you expect the police to do?

I am absolutely against people just getting away with stuff when they have done something wrong but do you think it is realistic for the police to chase someone up who has 'allegedly' thrown a fag butt at someone?

Dunno, probably nothing, realistically.

I was shaking with rage after that.

Cam footage would have secured a conviction, or at least a warning, and a recklessly stupid driver would realise they can't get away with dangerous, silly little stunts like chucking stuff at cyclists. I'm puzzled why anyone would oppose bringing thugs to justice.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I wish I had a video cam with me at Lunchtime. A copper in the passsnger seat of a Met police minibus sat i traffic doing the full 180^ with head staring at pretty woman with long legs that crossed the road and walked down the pavement.

I gave him a knowing nod when he finally turned back after she'd gone out of sight.

Scaffolders are notorious tossers. Our builder told me that most builders take the p**s out of scaffolders for being thick.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • CyclingBantam
    You were shaking with rage?

Like I said, nothing wrong with punishing people but jeez, unfortunately we live in a world where it isn't possible to punish every tiny piece of bad behaviour (and if I'm honest, I wouldn't want to live somewhere it was).

Are you unable to see the bigger picture at all? If someone is going to find it funny to throw rubish at cyclists, do you think they have a particually well rounded life? What's wrong with just thinking, w@nker' and moving on.

As Monkeypump and gtvlusso have pointed out, it is pointless getting in the way of your crusade. I'm sure it can't make life a very happy place for you.
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    I've watched quite a few near miss vids on youtube and I've found them helpful in that they show poor judgement, whether by a motorist or the cyclist.
    A lot of the time I'm thinking what I would have done in the same situation, and I've found my risk awareness has improved.
    Some posters get pretty self righteous about fairly petty driving indescretions - shouting at a taxi cab that slowly creeps over the stop line in the lane next to you at a set of lights for example, what's the point? Technically he's RLJ'd, in reality he's moved forward 12" at 1mph. Anyway that's one vid and certainly not representative of all the ones out there.
    I've got a helmet cam, but I've never really got around to setting it up properly. I should, because the reason I bought it was that I got hit and run last year, and the cam could've seen that driver up on charges (if it had caught the number plate which I couldn't remember fully when I came around).
  • gtvlusso
    What do you expect the police to do?

Dunno, probably nothing, realistically.

I was shaking with rage after that.

Cam footage would have secured a conviction, or at least a warning, and a recklessly stupid driver would realise they can't get away with dangerous, silly little stunts like chucking stuff at cyclists. I'm puzzled why anyone would oppose bringing thugs to justice.

Definitions:

Thug: probably a muderer/GBH/Vandal type person - pretty dangerous, has no conscience or care - Mottot: "why chuck a fag at someone when kiccking their head in is easier?"

Non Thug: Occasionally chucks a fag out of a car window, may speed on the motorway. Motto "Has smoked pot in college - but won't admit it unless squiffy at a dinner party" Will eat Fish and Chips.

Methinks you are evading allot of questions on this debate and trying to make out that we all support thuggery....... I think our definitions of Thug are wildly differing.

And you only had a fag chucked at you....allegedly.
  • gtvlusso
    hoolio wrote:
    I've watched quite a few near miss vids on youtube and I've found them helpful in that they show poor judgement, whether by a motorist or the cyclist.
    A lot of the time I'm thinking what I would have done in the same situation, and I've found my risk awareness has improved.
    Some posters get pretty self righteous about fairly petty driving indescretions - shouting at a taxi cab that slowly creeps over the stop line in the lane next to you at a set of lights for example, what's the point? Technically he's RLJ'd, in reality he's moved forward 12" at 1mph. Anyway that's one vid and certainly not representative of all the ones out there.
    I've got a helmet cam, but I've never really got around to setting it up properly. I should, because the reason I bought it was that I got hit and run last year, and the cam could've seen that driver up on charges (if it had caught the number plate which I couldn't remember fully when I came around).

Great that you have found some help and advice from vids.

Did you find the knowledge of the drivers reg no useful at alll on said films?
  • You were shaking with rage?

Like I said, nothing wrong with punishing people but jeez, unfortunately we live in a world where it isn't possible to punish every tiny piece of bad behaviour (and if I'm honest, I wouldn't want to live somewhere it was).

Are you unable to see the bigger picture at all? If someone is going to find it funny to throw rubish at cyclists, do you think they have a particually well rounded life? What's wrong with just thinking, w@nker' and moving on.

As Monkeypump and gtvlusso have pointed out, it is pointless getting in the way of your crusade. I'm sure it can't make life a very happy place for you.

What's wrong is they got away with it.

I'm on no "crusade", and I don't wear a helmet cam, or a helmet come to that!
    I've got no problem with cyclists with cameras, the more the better.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    the only thing surprising on this thread is that jeremy rundle hasn't popped in with helmet cam recommendation.

In general few things on youtube have much value to society, and "driver error" clips linked to the reg no. is one of them.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • CyclingBantam
    So where do you get footage from if you have no cam?

What is your actual point or are you just arguing for the sake of it? You are not related to Hoopdiver are you?
  • gtvlusso
    I am so confused now....
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    t4tomo wrote:
    the only thing surprising on this thread is that jeremy rundle hasn't popped in with helmet cam recommendation.
    :lol: and the number of people he's got convicted with them
  • edb999
    edb999 Posts: 44
    I was shaking with rage after that
    Over a fag but? If it was a careless flick I wouldn’t have even given it a second thought, a deliberate act I maybe a little miffed but certainly not shaking with rage. Life’s to short to get that angry over every little misdemeanor of an idiot, there are to many of them out there!
    Having said that a couple years ago a van driver throw a but out his window at a set of lights, it bounced of my chest and landed on my tank (motorcycle). I looked at him and he just stared at me and shrugged…. I picked the but up and throw it back in the window. The look of panic was priceless :D