Posting video of everyone that cuts you up on youtube...

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    kelsen wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    the only thing surprising on this thread is that jeremy rundle hasn't popped in with helmet cam recommendation.
    :lol: and the number of people he's got convicted with them

For crimes against decency? For dressing mutton as lamb? Possession of a Gold Chain and an unbuttoned shirt?
  • So where do you get footage from if you have no cam?

What is your actual point or are you just arguing for the sake of it? You are not related to Hoopdiver are you?

I don't have any footage. I don't have a cam.

I support cyclists with cams and think they are a positive resource.

These positions aren't mutually exclusive, I support rape alarms but don't have a vagina either.

The lorry tailgated me down hackney Road at 20mph plus, inches off my rear wheel. Several objects were thrown, a couple hit me. In fifteen years commuting through east London it was the worst, most dangerous incident, all the more terrifying because it was deliberate.

On the whole I'm against people who use fifteen ton lorries as a weapon, would recommend cams to catch them and don't really care if that makes me sound worse than eleven Hitlers.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    theres only one thing worse than 11 Hitlers.

12 Hitlers
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112

Good for you - I think the point has been made about this by multiple posters - why bother with every little incident and why put the reg number.
    These positions aren't mutually exclusive, I support rape alarms but don't have a vagina either.

Whoa dude, we were talking about people filming every tiny incident on their commute! Just because you are a bloke, don't think that you cannot be raped....
    The lorry tailgated me down hackney Road at 20mph plus, inches off my rear wheel. Several objects were thrown, a couple hit me. In fifteen years commuting through east London it was the worst, most dangerous incident, all the more terrifying because it was deliberate.

On the whole I'm against people who use fifteen ton lorries as a weapon, would recommend cams to catch them and don't really care if that makes me sound worse than eleven Hitlers.

They threw a lorry at you? Or they threw something from the cab at you? Like a fag?

You compare yourself to being worse than Hitler - WTF are you on fella?
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    My Breakfast has just gone to a whole new level of weird now. I have absolutely no clue what you are arguing about or your point is so for that reason...

... I'm out.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    notsoblue wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    the only thing surprising on this thread is that jeremy rundle hasn't popped in with helmet cam recommendation.
    :lol: and the number of people he's got convicted with them

For crimes against decency? For dressing mutton as lamb? Possession of a Gold Chain and an unbuttoned shirt?

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Is it haloween on here today and I have got the date wrong?

:lol:
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    My Breakfast has just gone to a whole new level of weird now. I have absolutely no clue what you are arguing about or your point is so for that reason...

... I'm out.

I want to stop reading... I really should know better... but I can't help it! :lol:
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Up to other people if they wanna film - their issue. But posting reg numbers is a big no no - the driver has no come back, no defence and the cyclist is not always right.

Plus, the driver might not be the car owner.

Number plates relate to the car, not the driver. Car gets sold to other person. Innocent party has his number plate on YouTube for cutting a cyclist up. Not good.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    EdB999 wrote:
    I mean really? What are they hoping to achieve, that drivers see their video stream and decide that they should book some more driving lessons?
    Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think wearing a camera is a bad idea – I have recently got one myself in case of incident and I can understand people want to post the odd video of something spectacularly stupid or amusing , but I certainly wont be coming home from each ride and posting several videos titled ‘cut up by Fiesta registration xxx xxx’
    Am I missing something here or does this just come across as very petty and whinging?

+1

If i posted every near miss or stupid manoeuvre i'd have to give up my day job to edit and upload videos.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    gtvlusso wrote:

Good for you - I think the point has been made about this by multiple posters - why bother with every little incident and why put the reg number.?

I think you will find it is themotorist or the mechanic acting on his behalf who puts the number plate on public display.

There have been various posts on heresuggesting cyclists with head cams may doctore the footage, now you are calling for the footage to be doctored?

1. Why should footage of what happens in a public place not be made available to the public?

2. What difference does it make if the number plate is shown? What exactly are you trying to protect?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    gtvlusso wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    I find myself in a (rare) situation of being in agreement with MBC

To those of you raising rubbish about posting registration numbers etc...
    1. Registration numbers are on vehicles so the vehicle CAN be identified!
    2. When you are in a public place, you have to accept you may be filmed etc ( different if someone is deliberately stalking you obviously)
    3. Are you really suggesting people should be protected from having their alleged criminal behaviour revealed?

In a word:

WTF?

No one has commented on the legal issues here.......Can you quote something that I may have missed?

The debate is about whether or not it is fair to post a video about a nothing incident that is incredibly biased and that the owner of the vehicle has no comeback?

Did you read any of the comments?

Erm You are the one raising legal issues here, not me.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    spen666 wrote:
    I think you will find it is themotorist or the mechanic acting on his behalf who puts the number plate on public display.

Ah - sarcasm...the wit of the idle characterless plebian.
    spen666 wrote:
    There have been various posts on heresuggesting cyclists with head cams may doctore the footage, now you are calling for the footage to be doctored?

Highly possible and probable - make an incident seem more than it is - use of "slo mo" and so on is widespread in these so called "educational" videos, its editing.....Even removal of footage of said cyclist causing the issue in the first place is possible, only capturing the motorist reaction for a lovely bit of retribution on youtube.
    spen666 wrote:
    1. Why should footage of what happens in a public place not be made available to the public?

Never said it shouldn't - please quote me if I am wrongt, it is up to the filmer - please read thread again.

Happy for people to film their commute and waste their evening uploading to youtube, but why put reg numbers in the titles of said clips? If it is in the film, then it could be edited out, but that would be allot of work. Again, driver of said vehicle may see nothing wrong with the incident, as may many others, but the vehicle is now marked for all to see and the driver has no comeback to the alleged violated cyclist. It is also worth pointing out that the "cam brigade" appear to have allot more incidents than most of the posters on this thread - are they looking for trouble or just pointing out crap that anyone else would not consider to be close or bad driving - pedants perhaps? Or people with too much time on their hands who are rubbish at cycling? Who knows.....
    spen666 wrote:
    2. What difference does it make if the number plate is shown? What exactly are you trying to protect?

No one - just stated that it is a biased viewpoint and said car owner (who may have sold the car on, or lent the car to a mate) gets a tarnished name without any defence (DVLA reg number lookups can be done for a couple of quid) - perhaps a neighbour or colleague sees the youtube footage - a potential car buyer puts the reg number in on google - see's the car allegedly being driven badly.

Or do you advocate guilt before innocence?

Ultimately - the film and commentary is from one persons perspective, yet that person may be a complete idiot and wholly wrong. However, they uploaded the footage for a million + people to see. And deliberately pointed out a piece of personal information that can be traced back to an individual.

Smells like retribution to me.....

As you still have not quoted something I have stated or missed about legal issues on this thread, then I think you are on thin ice my pedigree chum.....So, please find where I have mentioned any legal issue on here and quote me.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Highly possible and probable - make an incident seem more than it is - use of "slo mo" and so on is widespread in these so called "educational" videos, its editing.....Even removal of footage of said cyclist causing the issue in the first place is possible, only capturing the motorist reaction for a lovely bit of retribution on youtube.

Slow motion is generally used to make things clearer. Removal of part of the clip that shows the cyclist causing the issue is possible, but I suspect a very small problem in reality. Perhaps you'd like to give some links?
    Happy for people to film their commute and waste their evening uploading to youtube, but why put reg numbers in the titles of said clips?
    I believe that is in case multiple people have issues with the same car as that would then point to an underlying problem

Again, driver of said vehicle may see nothing wrong with the incident, as may many others, but the vehicle is now marked for all to see and the driver has no comeback to the alleged violated cyclist.
    No, but the footage is there for anyone to view and decide upon
    It is also worth pointing out that the "cam brigade" appear to have allot more incidents than most of the posters on this thread - are they looking for trouble or just pointing out crap that anyone else would not consider to be close or bad driving - pedants perhaps? Or people with too much time on their hands who are rubbish at cycling? Who knows.....
    Well, easy for you to view their videos and make your own mind up..
    No one - just stated that it is a biased viewpoint and said car owner (who may have sold the car on, or lent the car to a mate) gets a tarnished name without any defence (DVLA reg number lookups can be done for a couple of quid)
    If someone is performing a DVLA lookup there are probably other issues going on..
    - perhaps a neighbour or colleague sees the youtube footage - a potential car buyer puts the reg number in on google - see's the car allegedly being driven badly.
    and they can make up their own mind,
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • So where do you get footage from if you have no cam?

What footage? I told you, I don't have a camera or any footage so I'm not sure what "crusade" you think I'm on, are you confusing me with someone who films their commute?
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    spen666 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    I find myself in a (rare) situation of being in agreement with MBC

To those of you raising rubbish about posting registration numbers etc...
    1. Registration numbers are on vehicles so the vehicle CAN be identified!
    2. When you are in a public place, you have to accept you may be filmed etc ( different if someone is deliberately stalking you obviously)
    3. Are you really suggesting people should be protected from having their alleged criminal behaviour revealed?

In a word:
    WTF?

that's 3 words
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    You then produce the clip with a flourish.

Cyclists who post clips of poor/bad driving on You Tube do so because they enjoy the flourish.

No other reason.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    No other reason.

lol, bad trolling.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • You then produce the clip with a flourish.

Cyclists who post clips of poor/bad driving on You Tube do so because they enjoy the flourish.

No other reason.

For example?

Have a clip in mind that you consider useless and could not possibly teach anyone anything? It would be nice to know exactly what you mean!
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I'll put my 2p in, if it's worth that much.

I film my commutes for several reasons.
    - I was getting a lot of incidences on my commute to work and if you try to tell anyone about it, it's just my word against someone else's.
    - I wanted to improve my cycling by getting feedback from others, it's easy to give feedback if you can watch a video.
    - I wanted to log information about the development of cycling facilities and campaign for better ones for cyclists.

I've certainly learnt a lot from posting online. I've had advise from other cyclists, i've spoken to traffic police officers about how I should be safer on the roads and it's improved my cycling a lot. But i still have issues with drivers. Cycling in a major city like London you will always have issues unless you put some blinkers on. People often say that close passes etc... happen, it's a part of cycling, just live with it.

Should we really live with it? Or should we make people aware that there is an issue with left hooks and cutting us up.

I post videos so people can see the issues that I experience on my rides. The major issues I forward to the police and they do what they see fit. Be that talk to the driver or just log it on the system.

Number plates are an interesting one. Some say you shouldn't post them, i don't see what the problem is with it. You can't identify a person because of the numberplate and it's publicly viewable information. I and several others have had repeat offenders. Sometimes the second time the driver has clearly learnt from their mistake and it's great to see that. How else can you indetify a repeat offender if you don't use numberplates?

As one of the more popular youtube channels for cyclists, i need to be careful what I post. If i posted the minor stuff then my other videos lose their value (i believe someone has already said this).
    A big problem is most of us (those with cameras) don't post clips where we read situations and let other road users do what they need to do. So the only clips you see are us getting cut up etc.. and you believe that we are just being sensitive.

I also try to be balanced, i don't go looking for trouble or for catching people doing naughty things. I'm all about road safety and I will pick up on anyone who i believe is being a prat on the roads.
    Hence Silly Cyclists. I was getting a lot of comments about a year ago to do with me picking on motorists and how it's unfair and how they might have kids in the back screaming... So I started doing a little video every few days about the silly things i see cyclists doing. We all know it happens but no body covers it. I'm just being equal and highlighting 'mistakes' that everyone makes.

I can't talk about cameras and not post a video now can i?
    Here we go.. a lovely taxi driver
    Should we let drivers like this get away with bullying other road users? Or should we fight back with video evidence and let the world know what some people really are like?
  • tailwindhome
    edited June 2011
    You then produce the clip with a flourish.

No other reason.

For example?

Have a clip in mind that you consider useless and could not possibly teach anyone anything? It would be nice to know exactly what you mean!

http://www.youtube.com/

Knock yourself out.

In 3 years posting on here I've only seen one video clip which has genuine educational value. It was posted by Bent Mikey and shows a cyclist about to pass a HGV on the inside.

That one could be a real lifesaver.

The rest is just people posting scalps or 'tutting' loudly. Either way it's just attention seeking. ETA - These posts are really just for other cyclists to view and agree how awful drivers are

By all means record your journeys on helmet cam, Jeremy Rundle can recommend one off Ebay. If you have any real incidents report them to the police or the driver's employers.

Posting them on You Tube has no merit other than letting the world hear you tut. In other words, you enjoy "the flourish"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    northstar wrote:
    No other reason.

lol, bad trolling.
    #

It's hard to resist when MBC is on a manic phase.

My point isn't entirely without merit though
  • I just asked if you could back up what you said tailwind, posting a link to Youtube isn't doing that. It's trolling. If someone claimed all cyclists jump red lights and offered a link to Google.com as proof I don't think anyone would consider that particularly honest.

I asked if you had a link to a cyclist/driver altercation that you felt was worthless and without merit and unable to teach anyone anything. I've also said quite a few times now that I don't film my rides and have no intention of doing so, but a lot of the clips I've seen have been useful and have made me think about positioning, claiming the lane, dealing with aggression. I enjoy watching them, especially the ones that go along my old commute or parts of London I rode in.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Posting them on You Tube has no merit other than letting the world hear you tut. In other words, you enjoy "the flourish"

What is the easiest way to send the police or a company the footage of a dangerous driver?
    From personal experience, youtube or vimeo is the best way. All the encoding is taken care of and most can view the video on those websites. Try and send the footage on a dvd and you will have massive issues with codecs etc..
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I remember when I started commuting and joined this forum I found watching Gaz's (amongst others) channel really informative. I like to think I learnt a lot about defensive riding and where to position myself of the road. I'm certainly a safer and more controled cclist because of it.

I don't have a camera myself, but I think in general the more responsible and reasonable people that have them the better.

I'd have to agree with the point that posting everyday close passes doesn't really do anyone any favours, none of us are perfect and mistakes happen, genuine mistakes don't deserve to be called out, dangerous and aggressive driving should be highlighted though even if it's to make others aware of things that could go wrong.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • tailwindhome
    I just asked if you could back up what you said tailwind, posting a link to Youtube isn't doing that. It's trolling. If someone claimed all cyclists jump red lights and offered a link to Google.com as proof I don't think anyone would consider that particularly honest.

I asked if you had a link to a cyclist/driver altercation that you felt was worthless and without merit and unable to teach anyone anything. I've also said quite a few times now that I don't film my rides and have no intention of doing so, but a lot of the clips I've seen have been useful and have made me think about positioning, claiming the lane, dealing with aggression. I enjoy watching them, especially the ones that go along my old commute or parts of London I rode in.

In my opinion cyclists who post videos of their 'bad driver' experiences on You Tube do so in order that they and other like minded cyclists can tut at the driver

They enjoy 'the flourish'

You may derive some educational merit from these videos but it is incidental to the motives of the cyclist

You 'enjoy' watching cyclists have 'near misses'?
  • tailwindhome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HGTbNUu ... re=related

You may derive some education or enjoyment from this example.

Personally I wonder why the cyclist continues to ride towards the taxi, possibly his handlebars aren't attached to his forks. Never mind though, it'll be "published on You Tube tonight" so it's all good....
  • mybreakfastconsisted
    mybreakfastconsisted Posts: 1,018
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HGTbNUucQI&feature=related

You may derive some education or enjoyment from this example.

Personally I wonder why the cyclist continues to ride towards the taxi, possibly his handlebars aren't attached to his forks. Never mind though, it'll be "published on You Tube tonight" so it's all good....

Errr, because it's not a one-way road, as the cyclist explains. So in that clip, you have a cabbie driving toward someone because of a perceived breach of the rules. The cabbie was wrong, as it happens, but right there in that clip is evidence that drivers will steer their vehicles toward cyclists who are doing nothing whatsoever wrong. It shows a "professional driver" displaying ignorance of the rules of the road he's on. It's also a pretty old clip, that the best you can do? Maybe if you read the clip description:

Cyclist was heavily laden with 4 pannier bags full of shopping making any kind of avoidance manouvre very difficult. Just plain rude!

I prefer videos of roads I've ridden. It's interesting to see people take a different line on a road I know. Not the wrong line, maybe even a better one than I would take. It's all good and it's not really the same as betraying Jews to the Gestapo. I'm finding the shrill opposition to filming incidents a bit strange.
  • tailwindhome
    This one should however be a 'sticky'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This one should however be a 'sticky'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI

+1

Also this made me laugh -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X-7pL8TjJU&feature=autoplay&list=ULsj9v9JJnNjw&index=2&playnext=14

The driver gave him a fairly wide berth, and the cyclist was in a cycle lane.

Was that really worth posting?