What's your body shape?

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    SecretSam wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    do you think people build muscle more than others?

when you look at pro racers, they seem to have really skinny toned legs not a huge bulk of muscle (in the pics that i have seen anyways)

How do you explain Chris "Tree Trunk" Hoy, then?!?!?!?!?!? :lol:

How on earth does he find trousers that fit?!?!?!?!

he's a track which seems to be quite different to road racing.

my cycling for fun is MTBing where upper body etc comes in as well. hence MTBers looking a bit more human!
  • gert_lush wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    As my friends say: I look like a beanpole with a day-glow top on!! :)
    I can see their viewpoint being 6'1 and 10.9 stone. This all due to a highly active metabolism ensuring that whatever carp I eat has no effect whatsoever. :D:D

Same with me! :lol:

Snap.
    Always hungy, always eating, never gain weight.
    6'2" and 12.2stone.
    And me. I'm 5'11" and 10.10 stone. I class myself as just right but looking at other replys on here (which I am very surprised at to be honest) I am probably the thinest.

I never get called skinny nowadays though (used to). I guess this is just showing how the 'average' weight is going up and so are expectations/theories of 'normal'.

Same here 5'11.5 and 65kg always been on the thinner side with a fast metabolism and cycling just enhanced that a bit, do some running and swimming too which helps. its good when it comes to not having to restrain when there are cakes in the office!

However people always talk about there huge thighs ...I still have chicken legs no matter how many thousands of miles I ride a year, damn those legs.

I wouldn't complain about the leg situation: My thighs have increased in size a bit and trousers are beginning to get a bit tight there. Any larger and I am going to struggle to find trousers that have a 30" waist, 32" length and are wide enough around the thighs. It's bad enough at times without the thigh issue.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    SecretSam wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    do you think people build muscle more than others?

when you look at pro racers, they seem to have really skinny toned legs not a huge bulk of muscle (in the pics that i have seen anyways)

How do you explain Chris "Tree Trunk" Hoy, then?!?!?!?!?!? :lol:

How on earth does he find trousers that fit?!?!?!?!

he's a track which seems to be quite different to road racing.

my cycling for fun is MTBing where upper body etc comes in as well. hence MTBers looking a bit more human!

Exactly, endurance, long distance riders end up lean and toned, track riders need enormous bursts of power so need muscle mass. Same with runners - 100m sprinters have bulky legs whereas you can lift a marathon runner and spin him aruond your little finger!

Anyway, I'm an endurance person, most definitely. I like nothing more than a half marathon here or a 70+ mile ride there... Definitely not a sprinter. I weigh 80kg and am about 193cm. It barely wavers whether I eat salad all day or cakes and beer, it sticks between 78 and 82kg....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ahh so a bit like being a "spinner" causes your legs to tone up, but a "masher" builds bulk?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I benched 120kg for 10 reps yesterday, never really tried to see how much I can lift. Now I'm quite interested

Jeez... 120kg
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • MonkeyMonster
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ahh so a bit like being a "spinner" causes your legs to tone up, but a "masher" builds bulk?

and being spinnier puts more on calfs too - I think...
  • On a slightly related note then, those of you others with big thighs, where do you get your trousers from? I'm a 36" waist, sometimes 38" but my thighs are 30" so finding trousers or nice jeans to fit is a nightmare. Suits especially.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I benched 120kg for 10 reps yesterday, never really tried to see how much I can lift. Now I'm quite interested

Jeez... 120kg

Or put another way, Me + Rick Chasey and a spare couple of kilos.

:shock: .
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    rjsterry wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Jeez... 120kg

Now i strongly urge you to cease all thoughts of CP picking you up. Much less him picking up you and Chasey.

That's just not healthy.

And it will all end in tears.

(that's tears - that come from your eyes, not tears - like small rips. Just so we're all clear about that).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    rjsterry wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Jeez... 120kg

Or me + about 10kgs
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sketchley wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Jeez... 120kg

Or me + about 10kgs

You can bench me any day of the week, big boy.... :wink:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    5'10 - 13ish stone!

I would class myself as normal! and i certainly eat what i like when i like! and lots of it!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    mudcow007 wrote:

I'm a spinner. I have big thighs and my calves are more toned than big... but that could be more to do with my physiology and the fact I am quite leggy.

I dunno.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ben6899 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

I'm a spinner. I have big thighs and my calves are more toned than big... but that could be more to do with my physiology and the fact I am quite leggy.

I dunno.

Ulrich had enormous calves and he was hardly a spinner...
  • MonkeyMonster
    Ben6899 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

I dunno.

I aint either and have micro calfs - it was something "The Ginge" said once... and to perhaps be more concise I meant in the sense more on the calfs *than* mashing does which puts primarily more on the thighs... technique of spinning would make sense in that it is more of a full leg experience where mashing is power which does indeed come from thighs primarily...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    edited June 2011
    I like nothing more than a half marathon...

Me too. In the sense that I think that people who run marathons (eg my sister) are 'ken mental.

Someone asked me recently if I did running. My response was "why run when mankind has invented the model of perfection that is the bicycle?". Or something.

Anyway, I digress. What was the original topic?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

I dunno.

I aint either and have micro calfs - it was something "The Ginge" said once... and to perhaps be more concise I meant in the sense more on the calfs *than* mashing does which puts primarily more on the thighs... technique of spinning would make sense in that it is more of a full leg experience where mashing is power which does indeed come from thighs primarily...

Err, no that's less concise :P
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    6' and 78 kilos. Just checked my BMI and that's 23.3. Before commuting it was about 27. Calculator here if you're interested, just don't start a debate on how good a measure it is.

As for shape, lean and toned legs, lean arms, all the weight is packed around my middle. Unfortunately its not the kind of weight that contributes to my climbing abilities.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    what is the Weight limit on those scooters. :lol:
  • joe1890
    joe1890 Posts: 56
    Weighing in..
    To a large extent, calf size is predetermined by genetics - as a large amount of body shape is. Some people get big, others get toned, some go in between!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I don't worry too much - I try to eat healthily, avoid ready meals etc - I have a resting heart rate of 56 and can manage 30 miles over the downs on the MTB so I don't think there's too much wrong
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Meso-Ecto
    Characteristics
    -Untrained these individuals look like thicker less lean ectomorphs, however the difference of body type appears rapidly with training, the larger frame is quickly pronounced, and strength and lean mass gains will surpass the plateau commonly encountered by ecto-meso’s.
    -Not as naturally lean as ectomorphs
    -Better muscle building genetics then ecto-meso’s
    -Generally between heights of 5’7-6
    -Face is more square then ecto-meso’s
    -Larger bone structure and broader shoulders, naturally more adapt to fast twitch fiber development.
    -Metabolism does not increase as radically with weight gain, which is why a static diet will breed more weight gain with a meso-ecto then with an ecto-meso
    -These individuals tend to dominate in interval sports such as basketball, and medium range sprinting events (400’s), combined with a reluctance to lose lean mass once gained these individuals tend appear very, very lean, due to intense interval training.
    -Body fat fluxuations are noticeable in varying seasonal activities, these individuals tend to have no real problem getting into the single digit body fat levels, but a moderate diet and physical activity must be constantly undertaken to maintain it.
    -Have outstanding strength to weight ratios
    -Will resist loss of both strength and lean mass, gives quite a margin of error in training.
    Training Tips:
    -Meso-Ectos should use the most effective training styles possible to gain lean mass, as rapidly as possible, heavy compound lifts along with isolations should be incorporated into routines, various splits can be used as results come fairly easily.
    -Various rep ranges work well for this group both high and low reps and weights should be used to keep shocking the body, and to develop stabilizer muscles as these individuals have the potential to rapidly progress in a major exercise like a squat but have insufficient stabilizer support and ultimately end up getting injured.
    -Cardio should be added a few times a week to keep body fat in check when bulking
    -Cardio can be highly used both endurance and interval will yield effective results with little muscle loss as long as they are eating enough.
    Natural Enemies:
    Ecto-meso’s and ectomorphs who aren’t satisfied at being lean and wish to become stronger or bigger often get annoyed at meso-ectos not having to force feed themselves 24-7, or watching them progress faster in terms of lifts…. Endo’s tend to get annoyed that if they train similar to a meso-ecto in regard to diet and cardio and a meso-ecto will progress much faster then them.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    and if one wants to you can do various online tests http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

to find out your body type
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Your score is 2.17.

Your body is closest to a Mesomorph. You have a naturally fit body but to maintain it or improve it you should exercise and diet correctly for your type. Strength training can be done more often and for longer sessions then would be good for an Ectomorph, but you must still be carefull not to overdo it. You should train with moderate to heavy weighs and at a moderate pace, not resting too long between sets. You will find you gain muscle quite easy (some women and even men might not want to get too bulky, but this won't happen suddenly. When you are happy with your muscle size simply train to maintain it). Stick to a good healthy diet to keep you lean and muscular, and watch for any slow creeping fat gains. Engage in and enjoy aerobic activities, sports, etc. but do not overdo.

Apparently
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Fatter than I should be but not as fat as I could be :wink::lol:

In other words...in need of losing a few pounds :cry:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    "Your score is 1.58. Your body is between an EndoMorph and a Mesomorph. Choose a middle approach between the follow recommendations."

????? Nothing I didn't know - I need to lose some weight, but there's a fit guy in there bursting to get out. If only I could be ar53d :roll:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Your score is 1.67.

Your body is between an EndoMorph and a Mesomorph
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Your score is 2.67.

Your body is between an Ectomorph and a Mesomorph. Choose a middle approach between the follow recommendations.

Ectomorph: An ectomorph should concentrate on gaining weight in the form of good lean muscle tissue (some women that are too thin may also want to put on a little fat to look more feminine). Weight training should be done but not too often or for too long each session. Weight should be fairly heavy and workout pace slower (longer rest periods between sets). Diet should be high in calories (good quality food not junk) and you should eat more then you're used to and often. Aerobic and other activities (sports, dancing, etc.) should be kept to a minimum, at least until you are happy with your weight and looks.

Mesomorph: Mesomorphs have a naturally fit body but to maintain it or improve it you should exercise and diet correctly for your type. Strength training can be done more often and for longer sessions then would be good for an Ectomorph, but you must still be carefull not to overdo it. You should train with moderate to heavy weighs and at a moderate pace, not resting too long between sets. You will find you gain muscle quite easy (some women and even men might not want to get too bulky, but this won't happen suddenly. When you are happy with your muscle size simply train to maintain it). Stick to a good healthy diet to keep you lean and muscular, and watch for any slow creeping fat gains. Engage in and enjoy aerobic activities, sports, etc. but do not overdo.

So, that's no more cycling for me then.....unless I'm in a mesomorph mood and decide to 'engage in and enjoy' it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    Yeah, it's no good engaging in it if you've got a sulk on.

That is a body building website, so, it might be stating the obvious, but the types of exercises being recommended will be generally aimed at reducing body fat and increasing muscle size and definition, from an aesthetic point of view. This is not necessarily what you might want or need for cycling.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    and if one wants to you can do various online tests http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

to find out your body type

They had me at "In the 1940s..."

I'm an Endomorph apparently, something I should be worried about (endomorphs are overly emotional).